PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Singler man-crush club now taking applications

feldspar
02-13-2008, 08:45 PM
Woah, nellie!!

This kid is going to be special, special, special. He's confident, tough as nails and has an incredibly complete game for just being a freshman.

houstondukie
02-13-2008, 09:07 PM
We haven't had a power forward who can shoot the 3 as well as Singler since Shane Battier. I can't wait to see how good this kid is gonna be when his Duke career is done, which hopefully is not anytime soon.

jimbonelson
02-13-2008, 09:09 PM
no man crush ..........just love his game

mgtr
02-13-2008, 09:10 PM
I agree -- Kyle Singler is a man!

Ben63
02-13-2008, 09:11 PM
I see the rafters of Cameron Indoor Stadium in his future. I believe he will be in Durham for 4 years

dkbaseball
02-13-2008, 09:12 PM
Reminds me of Laettner. Further along as a freshman, I think.

dukebballcamper90-91
02-13-2008, 09:12 PM
I'm glad I got to take a picture with after the Blue White game. Love this guy. He looks like he's been doing this for us for a while. They talk all that crap about hansbro's heart, Kyle has just as much.

rthomas
02-13-2008, 09:15 PM

Thinking the same thing.

dukegirlinsc
02-13-2008, 09:21 PM
He looks like he's been doing this for us for a while. They talk all that crap about hansbro's heart, Kyle has just as much.

amazing!

wilson
02-13-2008, 09:22 PM
If he sticks around long enough, I absolutely see rafters (and trophies) in his future. But do we really think he will? I sure hope so. He's pretty much a lock for two and I think he's at least probable for three...any chance he goes on the Boozer/JWill graduation plan?

wisteria
02-13-2008, 09:22 PM
Singler is in the house! Babe~~~

DoubleDuke Dad
02-13-2008, 09:23 PM
Woah, nellie!!

This kid is going to be special, special, special. He's confident, tough as nails and has an incredibly complete game for just being a freshman.
What do you mean is going to be? He already is!

Duke76
02-13-2008, 09:23 PM
he's made the crucial play, hit the crucial shoot to take us out of the danger zone. rafters for sure if he will just stay

jdc75
02-13-2008, 09:26 PM
You can see Kyle's confidence growing with each game. His toughness, intelligence, poise and versatility on both ends of the floor are remarkable. He's plays smarter than any freshman I can remember and is a matchup nightmare. I just hope he's here at least 3 years.

dw0827
02-13-2008, 09:29 PM
What do you mean is going to be? He already is!

Exactly.

Tonight, Dickie V said Singler was going to be a star at Duke. My immediate reaction was . . . . He already is!!!!

pamtar
02-13-2008, 09:30 PM
I'll fax my resume tomorrow. :D

dukestheheat
02-13-2008, 09:31 PM
I'm glad I got to take a picture with after the Blue White game. Love this guy. He looks like he's been doing this for us for a while. They talk all that crap about hansbro's heart, Kyle has just as much.

A difference between their style of play, I've noted, is that Singler plays with great heart but he does not seem to let his emotions 'get the best of him' or, put another way I guess, he doesn't seem to need his emotions to play well; he is just a killer out there and he does it with great heart, but quietly. T Hansbrough lets you know he wants to throw the dunk in your face and he grabs his play via emotional outbursts.

Singler also is a much more complete player with his superb deep-ball range; Hansbrough isn't much of a consistent threat with the deep ball and isn't the dribbler or passer that Singler certainly is.

For this reason, we are going to be really, really fortunate to keep Singler at Duke; if we do for 4 years, his jersey is destined to hang in eternity from the rafters of our hallowed House of Pain.

dth.

I_am_a_Blue_Devil
02-13-2008, 09:33 PM
for some reason, and i know this may sound crazy, but that look that he has in his eyes and the way he plays reminds me of the bad guy from the Terminator 2.

mr. synellinden
02-13-2008, 09:38 PM
Been a charter member since I saw the Oak Hill game highlight video on youtube. Coach K uses the word special a lot. There is special and then there is Singler Special.

Question: is he having the best season of any Duke freshman ever? I think yes. And he's getting better every game.

sagegrouse
02-13-2008, 09:47 PM

D-A-N-N-Y F-E-R-R-Y!!

sagegrouse

hc5duke
02-13-2008, 09:53 PM
Question: is he having the best season of any Duke freshman ever? I think yes. And he's getting better every game.

Um, not to be a negative nancy, but meet Mr. Jason Williams:
14.5 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 6.5 apg 2.4 spg

and Mr. Elton Brand:
13.4 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 1.3 bpg 1.5 spg

Kyle Singler:
13.8 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 1.3 apg

"one of the best" maybe, but I'd have to disagree with "the best" (though that may change as the season progresses)

weezie
02-13-2008, 10:03 PM
In addition to his obvious talents, Singler is razor sharp smart. He has all the angles covered and knows the game better than any other player on the court. He's a pure player and makes his own luck.

sagegrouse
02-13-2008, 10:14 PM
Um, not to be a negative nancy, but meet Mr. Jason Williams:
14.5 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 6.5 apg 2.4 spg

and Mr. Elton Brand:
13.4 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 1.3 bpg 1.5 spg

Kyle Singler:
13.8 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 1.3 apg

"one of the best" maybe, but I'd have to disagree with "the best" (though that may change as the season progresses)

Also on the list of special years as freshmen are:

Mike Gminski (15.3, 10.7 rebounds, and 3.3 blocks)

Johnny Dawkins (18.1, 4.8 assists, and 4.1 rebounds)

And, if you object to these two cases because the teams had losing conference records, then there is JJ:

J.J. Redick (15.0, 2.0 assists, 2.5 rebounds), starting 30 of 33 games on the 2003 ACC champs

sagegrouse

JBDuke
02-13-2008, 10:17 PM
D-A-N-N-Y F-E-R-R-Y!!

sagegrouse

I think he's more of a combination of Ferry and Mike Dunleavy. Kyle is quicker than Danny was, and I think he's a more versatile defender already. Danny was a PF that could shoot and dribble, but he never had the foot speed that Kyle does. Danny was a better passer, although Kyle's no slouch in that department.

Kyle has some of Mike's fluidity and grace and is more like Mike in his athleticism, but Kyle is stronger and has a better post game than I remember from Mike.

Really, he's just the first Kyle Singler. His game is pretty unique, IMO. And I can see why Coach was raving about his complete game and about how "he just gets it". Yes, Elton and Jason and others had as good or better numbers in their freshman campaigns, but the thing that makes Kyle stick out, IMO, from any other Duke freshmen I can think of, is the maturity of his game. If you watch him, he seems so much more like an upperclassman out there. It's hard to believe he's a rookie.

And I think folks are dreaming if they think he'll stay for four years. The best we can hope for, IMO, is the "Jason Williams Plan", where he stays for the third year in order to graduate early. I'll take whatever I can get.

Dukefan4Life
02-13-2008, 10:21 PM
Kyle is one amazing player. The kid just plays beyond his years, he just seems to be able to do it all. I really cant see a weakness in his game! I know he said he will come back next year for another year.. id sure love it if he stayed longer! :D

yancem
02-13-2008, 10:31 PM

He certainly has the fire and competitiveness that Laettner showed but I think he has a better attitude and is probably more well liked by his teammates than Laettner.

Oh and my application is in the mail!

I_am_a_Blue_Devil
02-13-2008, 10:32 PM
http://bp0.blogger.com/_v0neUj-VDa4/RhP0fvMpHTI/AAAAAAAAAaw/QptSikUoSCk/s1600-h/T-1000.gif

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/ncaa/specials/preview/2007/scouting.reports/photos/duke.jpg

He plays like a T-1000, I know that!

Battierfan01
02-13-2008, 10:32 PM
Where do I sign up?? Singler is just amazing. He never, ever loses his composure and is always under control on the court, no matter how much of a run the other team is making. On the eve of Valentine's Day he actually looked like Cupid shooting the arrow in Maryland's heart tonight when they were making a 2nd half come back.

mr. synellinden
02-13-2008, 10:33 PM
Also on the list of special years as freshmen are:

Mike Gminski (15.3, 10.7 rebounds, and 3.3 blocks)

Johnny Dawkins (18.1, 4.8 assists, and 4.1 rebounds)

And, if you object to these two cases because the teams had losing conference records, then there is JJ:

J.J. Redick (15.0, 2.0 assists, 2.5 rebounds), starting 30 of 33 games on the 2003 ACC champs

sagegrouse

Regardless of whether it is the best, the thing all the aforementioned players have in common is their name in the rafters (other than Brand because he left early) and/or winning NPOY. For those who have been saying Duke lacks the "superstar" level player they've always seemed to have in the past, meet Kyle Singler.

yancem
02-13-2008, 10:35 PM
I think he's more of a combination of Ferry and Mike Dunleavy. Kyle is quicker than Danny was, and I think he's a more versatile defender already. Danny was a PF that could shoot and dribble, but he never had the foot speed that Kyle does. Danny was a better passer, although Kyle's no slouch in that department.

Kyle has some of Mike's fluidity and grace and is more like Mike in his athleticism, but Kyle is stronger and has a better post game than I remember from Mike.

Really, he's just the first Kyle Singler. His game is pretty unique, IMO. And I can see why Coach was raving about his complete game and about how "he just gets it". Yes, Elton and Jason and others had as good or better numbers in their freshman campaigns, but the thing that makes Kyle stick out, IMO, from any other Duke freshmen I can think of, is the maturity of his game. If you watch him, he seems so much more like an upperclassman out there. It's hard to believe he's a rookie.

And I think folks are dreaming if they think he'll stay for four years. The best we can hope for, IMO, is the "Jason Williams Plan", where he stays for the third year in order to graduate early. I'll take whatever I can get.

Although his playing style is a little different, I think Deng is a pretty good reference point. He too was extremely mature and was very well rounded. He also played a similar role for the '04 team.

feldspar
02-13-2008, 10:40 PM

Very astute, observation. I hadn't thought about this until now, but thinking about it I do see a LOT of Dunleavy in Kyle.

Missed ya on the chat tonight.

DevilWolf
02-13-2008, 10:55 PM
My wife and I are expecting our first child this summer. Tonight we decided on Kyle as the first name and Singler as the middle name. Boy or girl.

dukepsy1963
02-13-2008, 11:26 PM
amazing, that's all! Are we lucky or what?.................wow!!!:)

hc5duke
02-13-2008, 11:43 PM
My wife and I are expecting our first child this summer. Tonight we decided on Kyle as the first name and Singler as the middle name. Boy or girl.

Congrats!

dukediv2013
02-13-2008, 11:43 PM
Singler is everything and more than people said about him during recruiting. He is our best go to guy when we need a big three. On numerous occasions this season late in the game, when the other team is catching up, he has delivered clutch shots.(mainly 3 pointers) This kid is absolutely amazing! I am looking forward to seeing him suit up for Duke for a few more years! (fingers crossed!)

BTW- Look at his stat sheet from the Maryland Game

10-17 shooting for 26 points... none were free throws! Hanstravel scores more points from the FT line than the field. HE WISHES HE THAT HE COULD ONE DAY BE AS GOOD AS SINGLER!

dukemsu
02-14-2008, 12:14 AM
He certainly has the fire and competitiveness that Laettner showed but I think he has a better attitude and is probably more well liked by his teammates than Laettner.

Oh and my application is in the mail!

What Kyle has in common with Laettner is the smirk, the obvious air he gives off that he's not going to be bullied or intimidated. Kyle doesn't seem to mind if he's bleeding, just so long as he gets to play. Christian would be proud. Kyle seems to genuinely enjoy the stage and all that comes with it.

Just as an aside, I have a feeling that most players are probably more popular with their teammates than Laettner was.

OrangeDevil
02-14-2008, 12:16 AM
Kyle Singler=MVP. Mason Plumlee, Kenny Boynton, Leslie McDonald come on down! We may be entering a another stretch of multiple final fours. K is going to get number 4.

BigTedder
02-14-2008, 12:33 AM
I see the rafters of Cameron Indoor Stadium in his future. I believe he will be in Durham for 4 years

I hope I hope I hope......

Acymetric
02-14-2008, 01:11 AM
What Kyle has in common with Laettner is the smirk, the obvious air he gives off that he's not going to be bullied or intimidated. Kyle doesn't seem to mind if he's bleeding, just so long as he gets to play. Christian would be proud. Kyle seems to genuinely enjoy the stage and all that comes with it.

Just as an aside, I have a feeling that most players are probably more popular with their teammates than Laettner was.

I'm afraid my ignorance is showing...I was young then. What was the problem between him and the teammates? I don't recall hearing about it, mostly I just hear about the shot and see some of the classic games...

Nesto
02-14-2008, 01:22 AM
I'm afraid my ignorance is showing...I was young then. What was the problem between him and the teammates? I don't recall hearing about it, mostly I just hear about the shot and see some of the classic games...

Word was you'd just as likely get chewed out by Laettner as the coaching staff if you screwed up. Laettner was intense.

dukemomLA
02-14-2008, 01:55 AM
I totally agree that Kyle is amazing. One of his great strengths is that he provides a serious match-up problem with almost every team we face. So..the point of my post is that I have a man-crush on every single member of this team. Every game they play TEAM ball -- and are having great fun doing it.

I could write paragraphs about every single guy. They're so exciting and enjoyable to watch. (...and the development and versatility and BB IQ of Kyle is high on my list).

Not since the USA Hockey team at Lake Placid do I remember a T-E-A-M with less personal ego, and such a desire to find ways to win, and to turn their 'deficits' into positives. We are having the pleasure of watching and rooting for something very special. GO DEVILS!!

thomas
02-14-2008, 05:36 AM
....Assassin....

banneheim
02-14-2008, 08:50 AM
When I watch Singler play, I always think of Dunleavy. It was special when Dunleavy hit those three 3s during the 2001 Championship game, I won't be surprised when Singler puts the team on his back and brings a Championship. He has so much confidence and is a tough rebounder. I don't remember Dunleavy rebounding that well.

yancem
02-14-2008, 09:52 AM

I think that a basketball scholarship will be offered shortly after delivery! Gongrats on joining the ranks of parenthood. While very tiring, it's pretty cool!

yancem
02-14-2008, 09:54 AM

Fair enough, you got me there.

grc5
02-14-2008, 10:30 AM
I just hope that after his tremendous three-point shooting night, Kyle doesn't become too enamored with the trifecta going into tourney time. He has too much potential to be pidgeon-holed as a tall guy who can shoot. He has the ability to beat guys off the dribble, and has show flashes of brilliance in the post. I think that he could become a better back-to-the-basket player than any of the greats listed above (even Laettner).

I would love to see Singler develop a mid-range shot. Imagine him bringing his big, slow-footed defender out to the perimiter, blowing by him on the dribble, and then pulling up and hiiting a jumper. It would be a devestating weapon against a team that like to crowd the paint and block shots (e.g. Maryland, BC).

Neals384
02-14-2008, 11:43 AM
I just hope that after his tremendous three-point shooting night, Kyle doesn't become too enamored with the trifecta going into tourney time. He has too much potential to be pidgeon-holed as a tall guy who can shoot. He has the ability to beat guys off the dribble, and has show flashes of brilliance in the post. I think that he could become a better back-to-the-basket player than any of the greats listed above (even Laettner).

I would love to see Singler develop a mid-range shot. Imagine him bringing his big, slow-footed defender out to the perimiter, blowing by him on the dribble, and then pulling up and hiiting a jumper. It would be a devestating weapon against a team that like to crowd the paint and block shots (e.g. Maryland, BC).

Greetings from Southern Oregon, where we enjoyed Kyle's high school career. I can assure you that Kyle has an excellent mid-range jumper. If you look at his stats from last year, many times he was 10 for 10, 11 for 12 from the field, etc. You might think those were all layups and dunks, but not so. A huge part of his scoring came from mid-range jumpers. Start the drive, one dribble, stop on a dime, half-step back, swish! I've been a bit mystified why he hasn't used the mid-range jumper more this year, but if coach K ever gives him the green light to take over the game, watch out!

Also in his repertoir is a 10-12 foot runner off the backboard. This would help cut down on the turnovers and blocked shots that seem to come when he drives all the way to the basket.

For all you club members - there is still a huge upside for Kyle. Just wait!

Neal

p.s. This is my first post - along with many others in Southern Oregon I am a first-year Duke fan.

Indoor66
02-14-2008, 12:50 PM
Greetings from Southern Oregon, where we enjoyed Kyle's high school career. I can assure you that Kyle has an excellent mid-range jumper. If you look at his stats from last year, many times he was 10 for 10, 11 for 12 from the field, etc. You might think those were all layups and dunks, but not so. A huge part of his scoring came from mid-range jumpers. Start the drive, one dribble, stop on a dime, half-step back, swish! I've been a bit mystified why he hasn't used the mid-range jumper more this year, but if coach K ever gives him the green light to take over the game, watch out!

Also in his repertoir is a 10-12 foot runner off the backboard. This would help cut down on the turnovers and blocked shots that seem to come when he drives all the way to the basket.

For all you club members - there is still a huge upside for Kyle. Just wait!

Neal

p.s. This is my first post - along with many others in Southern Oregon I am a first-year Duke fan.

Welcome. We look forward to "discovering" the various aspects of Kyle's game. He is a terrific player and seems to be a better young man. You will find that Duke Basketball is addictive. The only "cure" is a trip to Cameron.

trinity92
02-14-2008, 01:35 PM

I am getting an incredible kick out of watching Singler play, and seeing his 3 point shot come into form. When he came out of HS, he had a rep. for having a pretty outside shot, but the 3s weren't falling until the last several games. Even with his recent spurt, I think he's in the low to mid 30% range from 3 this year. His long-range shooting will be key to spreading defenses and creating mismatches, which we simply must to be successful playing the frontcourt we do.

As far as Singler developing a better back to the basket game as Laettner, aint never gonna happen. Laettner was a for-real center who added the outside shot later in his career. That isn't putting Kyle down-- just an acknowledgement that Laettner had 3-4 inches on Kyle and arrived in Durham as a true post player with Danny Ferry on the team with his well-designated senior PF/SF role.

Have to chime in with JBDuke on the expected length of Singler's stay in Durham. I wouldn't be completely surprised if he leaves this year, especially if Duke makes a deep run in the NCAAs. I'd certainly expect him to leave after Soph. year, when guys like Beasley, Gordon and Mayo, who are having flashier Freshman campaigns, are in the NBA. In any event, 3 years is the absolute longest I think Kyle will stay. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. Do you all remember J. Will's last year in college? Teams started straight-out mugging him rather than let him get to the hole. That was the first time I ever thought to myself "that kid's gonna get hurt, and he should have gone pro."

Singler's one of the top freshmen we've ever had at Duke-- I'd say he is just as skilled as Deng, but has more control and a better overall understanding of the game. Not that surprising, given Deng's late introduction to basketball. Whether he stays 1, 2 or 3 years, it's a complete treat to watch him develop.

Neals384
02-14-2008, 04:50 PM
I am getting an incredible kick out of watching Singler play, and seeing his 3 point shot come into form. When he came out of HS, he had a rep. for having a pretty outside shot, but the 3s weren't falling until the last several games. Even with his recent spurt, I think he's in the low to mid 30% range from 3 this year. His long-range shooting will be key to spreading defenses and creating mismatches, which we simply must to be successful playing the frontcourt we do.

Kyle's latest season stat is 39.2% from behind the arc. Pretty respectable considering he shot very few three pointers in high school - this is really a surprise to me as I didn't think he would have 3 pt range.