PDA

View Full Version : Poll; Clemens vs. McNamee

365Duke
02-13-2008, 03:10 PM
Based on the hearing, and what you have read or seen, who in your opinion is LYING!

Deslok
02-13-2008, 03:28 PM
There should be option C... both.

Its not that I think McNamee is trustworthy or telling the complete truth, but I put Clemens because I do believe he did steroids(and since he knew he'd be squashed like a grape if he tried to attack Petitte's integrity, instead he insists he misremembered... erm.. sure)

hc5duke
02-13-2008, 05:05 PM
There should be option C... both.

Its not that I think McNamee is trustworthy or telling the complete truth, but I put Clemens because I do believe he did steroids(and since he knew he'd be squashed like a grape if he tried to attack Petitte's integrity, instead he insists he misremembered... erm.. sure)

I was thinking along the same line. Maybe it's like the SAT's where you pick the "most correct" answer. Which one is lying MORE?

npdevil27
02-13-2008, 05:31 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?&brand=null&videoId=3243931&n8pe6c=2

Pettitte "misremembers"? PLEASE.

johnb
02-14-2008, 02:32 PM
There are shades of truth, but not in this one. Either Clemens never took the drugs or he did. If the former, then that means that a good friend "misremembered" in favor of hurting his buddy AND that his trainer was willing to risk prison in order to add another name to a list when adding another name would have made no difference to his own protection. Further, if Clemens is innocent, he will have apparently been the only unjuiced baseball player whose athleticism did not decline after age 37.

hc5duke
02-14-2008, 02:46 PM
Further, if Clemens is innocent, he will have apparently been the only unjuiced baseball player whose athleticism did not decline after age 37.

Nolan Ryan (http://www.baseball-reference.com/r/ryanno01.shtml) doesn't qualify?

Olympic Fan
02-14-2008, 03:07 PM
I lean towards believing McNamee's story because:

-- Everything else -- other than the specific charges against Clemens -- he claimed in the Mitchell Report has turned out to be true. Pettite and Knoblach admitted to the truth of McNamee's charges against them.

-- Pettite's testimony confirms McNamee's report. Is it credible that his "misremembered" in a way that convicts his friend and mentor?

-- Clemens wife was injected. I admit, when I heard that McNamee claimed to have injected Clemens' wife with HGH, my first reaction was "Whoa ... he's making up crazy stuff now." But both Clemons and his wife confirmed that this happened. Ask yourself, why would she think HGH could help her and why would she ask McNamee -- of all people -- to inject her (unless she had a prescription, the injection was illegal ... and if she did have a prescription, why not let a doctor do it)?

-- Clemens career did progress strangely as he got older with jumps in his performance corresponding to McNamee's alledged injections.

-- Clemens claims that the injections were B-12 and lidocane are not credible to me. The committee questioned him on the absurdity of taking B-12 injections, but I missed any question about the lidocane. My understand is that it's a local pain killer -- a lidocane shot in his shoulder would make sense ... but why in his butt?

-- Marion Jones and Rafael Palmero. This isn't Clemens' fault, but it makes it hard for me to watch his adamant denials and take them seriously. Jones, especially, was adamant in her denials -- right up to the point she was nailed and admitted she was lying all those years. Palmero sat in the same seat Clemens is now in and shook his finger at the committee denying using steroids.

None of this is the overwhelming evidence that I would require as a juror to convict Clemens of a crime. But as a member of the public, it's enough to make be believe that the weight of the evidence is that he was a user and is a liar.

jadarm
02-16-2008, 01:20 PM
-- Clemens wife was injected. I admit, when I heard that McNamee claimed to have injected Clemens' wife with HGH, my first reaction was "Whoa ... he's making up crazy stuff now." But both Clemons and his wife confirmed that this happened. Ask yourself, why would she think HGH could help her and why would she ask McNamee -- of all people -- to inject her (unless she had a prescription, the injection was illegal ... and if she did have a prescription, why not let a doctor do it)?

Nice job wording this, I have used this argument myself....but havent been able to word it this nice. Hope you dont mind me ripping you off a bit. Very very well put.

Jarhead
02-16-2008, 01:30 PM
I didn't vote, since neither of them deserve my vote.

365Duke
02-16-2008, 02:36 PM
I didn't vote, since neither of them deserve my vote.

You know what they say about crossing "drug dealers":D

365Duke
02-16-2008, 05:53 PM
Well like Yogi said

"The future ain't what it used to be":rolleyes:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/baseball/mlb/02/16/bc.bbo.berramuseum.clem.ap/index.html

LITTLE FALLS, N.J. (AP) -- Roger Clemens' jersey was tossed from the Yogi Berra Museum.

Museum director David Kaplan said on Saturday the museum had removed Clemens' jersey last week from a display honoring the Yankees teams of the late 1990s that won four World Series championships in five years.

allenmurray
02-16-2008, 06:00 PM
My understand is that it's a local pain killer -- a lidocane shot in his shoulder would make sense ... but why in his butt?

Probably because he found a lot of the other Yankees players to be a pain nt he A**

greybeard
02-16-2008, 07:45 PM

Nice job wording this, I have used this argument myself....but havent been able to word it this nice. Hope you dont mind me ripping you off a bit. Very very well put.

I don't know, Rog's wife and McNamee are talking about things, the subject of HGH and celebrity use comes up, R's wife says she's thinking of trying it, McNamee says, "Why wait, I can hook you up." She says "why not." Works for me.

As for Rog's reaction, how angry should he be if his wife wanted to try HGH to make herself more attractive for him and McNamee helped her out?

I thought the questions posed were silly, and Roger appropriately paused and caught his words rather than answer.