PDA

View Full Version : I Beg To Differ...

blazindw
02-13-2008, 10:48 AM
with the post on the front page declaring Maryland the "hottest team in the country, perhaps the hottest team in the nation". I would say that there are quite a few more teams that are hotter than they have been playing. More notably, Drake (who has won around 20 in a row at this point), Texas, and, of course, us!

Not trying to jinx us, but I think that calling them the hottest team under the sun is stretching things a bit.

Rich
02-13-2008, 10:52 AM
What's the difference between being "the hottest team in the country" and being "the hottest team in the nation"?

Wander
02-13-2008, 10:58 AM
Don't forget Purdue and Stanford.

I think Purdue or Duke is the hottest team right now.

juise
02-13-2008, 11:05 AM
I think Purdue or Duke is the hottest team right now.
Agreed.

KenTankerous
02-13-2008, 11:06 AM
I think it is overly modest hyperbole aimed to keep things humble around here.

The hottest thing in college hoops right now?

Gillispie's seat.

Slackerb
02-13-2008, 11:40 AM
They're definitely one of the hottest teams in the country. If you watched them against State, they were just on fire, and State's defense was suspect at times, but even when it stiffened, they still scored.

They are peaking right now, and to downplay their momentum would be silly.

For a simplified example:

In the last three games, they have averaged 55% shooting...

Duke is certainly playing very well right now, but for comparison's sake, they're shooting a much more normal 43% in the last 3 games.

dynastydefender
02-13-2008, 11:48 AM
He definitely has some splainin' to do to the UK faithful. I for one would accept "This is Tubby's fault!"

Gillispie's seat.

Channing
02-13-2008, 11:48 AM
I have heard a lot of people talking about them recently - but they remind me a lot of the air force team a few years back that got left out of the dance. Its no secret their conference is down this year. They just have no signature win on their resume . . . yet. They have a date with Butler coming up that should tell a lot about whether or not they are actually for real.

paulie dogs
02-13-2008, 12:04 PM
I see where you could think that, but Drake is (barring a total collapse) definitely in the tourney. Unlike AF which plays in the unnoteworthy mountain west, Drake plays in the very good mid major MVC. They have already beaten this year, Creighton, Southern Illinois, and Wichita State (I'd like to point out Wichita is not a state, someone should let them know this). All of these teams have made the tourney one or more times in the past few years, and the MVC regularly gets 2-3 teams in.

In all likelihood, Drake will win the conference tourney and it won't matter, but even if they stumble, as long as they don't choke down the stretch they are in. If they beat Butler, that is icing, but they don't have to in my opinion.

jimbonelson
02-13-2008, 12:08 PM
They are not even the hottest in the acc does not duke have a 9 game winning streak that includes beating maryland in there house
with the post on the front page declaring Maryland the "hottest team in the country, perhaps the hottest team in the nation". I would say that there are quite a few more teams that are hotter than they have been playing. More notably, Drake (who has won around 20 in a row at this point), Texas, and, of course, us!

Not trying to jinx us, but I think that calling them the hottest team under the sun is stretching things a bit.

Clipsfan
02-13-2008, 12:12 PM
What's the difference between being "the hottest team in the country" and being "the hottest team in the nation"?

I was wondering the same thing; but it served to distract me from the statement that MD is the hottest team. I don't know that winning 4 in a row against mediocre competition (UVA by 10, GT by 2, BC by 5 and NC State by 14) qualifies them as the hottest team.

HaveFunExpectToWin
02-13-2008, 12:13 PM

It's that damn Hansel! He's so hot right now!

rthomas
02-13-2008, 12:15 PM
Maryland is the hottest team that we will play today.

dynastydefender
02-13-2008, 12:15 PM
I see where you could think that, but Drake is (barring a total collapse) definitely in the tourney. Unlike AF which plays in the unnoteworthy mountain west, Drake plays in the very good mid major MVC. They have already beaten this year, Creighton, Southern Illinois, and Wichita State (I'd like to point out Wichita is not a state, someone should let them know this). All of these teams have made the tourney one or more times in the past few years, and the MVC regularly gets 2-3 teams in.

In all likelihood, Drake will win the conference tourney and it won't matter, but even if they stumble, as long as they don't choke down the stretch they are in. If they beat Butler, that is icing, but they don't have to in my opinion.

I went to Murray State and Murray is not a state.

That probably is begging you to ask...Why am I an avid wildcat fan! Would be happy to explain in another thread!!

BlueHeaven
02-13-2008, 12:17 PM

I was curious myself.

Indoor66
02-13-2008, 12:18 PM
I was curious myself.

Obviously in one you exclude Alaska and Hawaii! You select which one. :D

dynastydefender
02-13-2008, 12:22 PM
I was curious myself.

The hottest teams in the Country would probably be the guys that work the coal mines in WVA and KY. Or maybe the farmers that harvest summer corn in Nebraska!

The hottest team in the Nation would probably be the Steel Workers or scientists that study lava.

SilkyJ
02-13-2008, 12:41 PM

Gillispie's seat.

heyoooooo. watch out for this guy.

for serious though. the vegas odds on him have got to be 2.5 MAYBE 3.5 yrs right now.

They are not even the hottest in the acc does not duke have a 9 game winning streak that includes beating maryland in there house

AND carolina.

Lord Ash
02-13-2008, 12:44 PM
It's that damn Hansel! He's so hot right now!

Post of the year.

Rich
02-13-2008, 12:48 PM
ok i thought this was a joke but now i'm just confused. was this a joke?

I suspect they meant to write that Maryland is the "hottest team in the conference, perhaps the hottest team in the nation". But, yeah, I was making a joke.

hc5duke
02-13-2008, 01:31 PM
Maryland is the hottest team that we will play today.

Perhaps the hottest team we will play the day before tomorrow as well.

mr. synellinden
02-13-2008, 01:34 PM

Gillispie's seat.

Or Sampson's.

BlueDevilJay
02-13-2008, 03:44 PM
Wichita State (I'd like to point out Wichita is not a state, someone should let them know this).

Neither is Appalachian, but I for one am a proud alum of the 3 time defending FCS National Football Champions :)