PDA

View Full Version : Sorry to our Kentucky posters

dukemomLA
02-13-2008, 03:43 AM
Okay, I know that most of us (myself included) revel in the humiliation suffered by Kentucky tonight at the hands of 'Nova.

With that said, I offer my understanding of the pain of our Kentucky posters to DBR. I am so impressed and appreciative of the input to DBR by K Wildcat supporters, that I felt the need to let you know we feel your angst. (Even if it does cause us glee).

The history of UK/Duke games ranks up there with the best in CBB history. And if we applaud "The Shot" (and always will), there are many, many other moments and games that also deserve our remembrance. (...and not only with Duke the victor).

So Kentucky fans keep posting -- and forget tonight ever happened (if and when you can....)

Ima Facultiwyfe
02-13-2008, 06:17 AM
I can't find myself willing to kick a body when it's down, either. There, but for the grace of God, etc........

It could be because the recent posters from Kentucky have been so civil, bless their hearts.

Congrats to any Vandy posters out there, however. Enjoy.

Love, Ima

Lavabe
02-13-2008, 06:23 AM
... there's a bunch of snow on the ground here in KY. Too bad I75 is covered with the stuff.

So much for trying to get up to see Rupp Arena.

But yes, the game was ... dreadful. This too shall pass.
Cheers,
Lavabe

KenTankerous
02-13-2008, 07:19 AM
Thanks for the sentiments. I appreciate the kind thoughts.

You know, it's losses like this that make the wins so sweet.

BlueDevilJay
02-13-2008, 07:59 AM
I thought they lost to Vandy, not 'Nova?? Did I miss something? I tried to watch that game for my wife, but when I turned it on, and the score was 45-11, I decided against it. In their defense, I think I would find it hard to play in that gym....its just a WEIRD setup, and that can honestly throw you off as a shooter. Maybe not THAT much but to a degree it can.

dynastydefender
02-13-2008, 09:27 AM
Okay, I know that most of us (myself included) revel in the humiliation suffered by Kentucky tonight at the hands of 'Nova.

With that said, I offer my understanding of the pain of our Kentucky posters to DBR. I am so impressed and appreciative of the input to DBR by K Wildcat supporters, that I felt the need to let you know we feel your angst. (Even if it does cause us glee).

The history of UK/Duke games ranks up there with the best in CBB history. And if we applaud "The Shot" (and always will), there are many, many other moments and games that also deserve our remembrance. (...and not only with Duke the victor).

So Kentucky fans keep posting -- and forget tonight ever happened (if and when you can....)
If you are a UK Fan these are the times that try men's souls. I see a Matt Daugherty situation developing here. BG has a 8 cylinder engine that is firing on about three cylinders right now. I appreciate all of your respectful sentiment. I know you don't have to show it. But again I don't know what UK Vandy game you were watching. I was watching the one on ESPN Classic where UK literally shot the ball at the last tenth of a second to put in the game winner; Alas 1998!!

BluBones
02-13-2008, 11:02 AM
I grew up in Nashville. My dad was a Vandy professor. Memorial Gym was the only place I could go to watch organized basketball. My childhood memories from the 1970's pretty much go like this:

1. Go to Memorial Gym.
2. Think to myself, "You can do it Jan van Breda Koff, you can do it."
3. Watch Kentucky destroy the Commodores.
4. Slink home a broken, humiliated boy.

Watching last night's game had the aura of a religious experience.

Olympic Fan
02-13-2008, 11:31 AM
I got to see Kentucky play Duke in the old Memorial Auditorium -- it ws a great experience (although the Issel, Pratt, Casey Cats did beat the Devils).

Last night's loss will be another albatross around the team's neck when NCAA Selection time comes. I say another because losses to Gardner Webb and San Diego would really hurt anyway. However, those losses were early and the 'Cats had won five straight and had beaten ranked teams in Tennessee and Vandy during that stretch. There was at least a chance that Kentucky could finish strong enough to earn at-large consideration.

Now, it's going to be tough. It wasn't the loss itself that hurts so much -- it's no shame to lose to a top 25 team on its home court -- but the manner of the loss. Believe me, the committee will look at that 41-point margin and question Kentucky's status. A strong candidate could overcome that, but not a team that was on the fence anyway.

Kentucky's next game is at LSU -- and the Tigers are awful. Then they get three straight home games (Georgia, Arkansas, Ole Miss). Only the first one is a gimmie, but the 'Cats could win all three. They could be 16-10 when they go to Tennessee. A win in Knoxville might be necessary to offset the Vandy humiliation.

I don't know, maybe if they win out (at South Carolina; Florida at home) that would get them to 19-10. A couple of tournament wins MIGHT help.

Anything's possible. But as an outsider who admires the Kentucky program, I'd say that the only realistic chance for Kentucky to extend its NCAA streak (which dates back to 1990) is to win the SEC Tournament.

billybreen
02-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Anything's possible. But as an outsider who admires the Kentucky program, I'd say that the only realistic chance for Kentucky to extend its NCAA streak (which dates back to 1990) is to win the SEC Tournament.

How long is UK's non-probation-related streak?

dynastydefender
02-13-2008, 11:52 AM
That should be since the 1991-1992 Season. The 1989-1991 Seasons were the "Kiss our Asterisk" Years.

HaveFunExpectToWin
02-13-2008, 12:09 PM
I grew up in Nashville. My dad was a Vandy professor. Memorial Gym was the only place I could go to watch organized basketball. My childhood memories from the 1970's pretty much go like this:

1. Go to Memorial Gym.
2. Think to myself, "You can do it Jan van Breda Koff, you can do it."
3. Watch Kentucky destroy the Commodores.
4. Slink home a broken, humiliated boy.

Watching last night's game had the aura of a religious experience.

Excellent post. While I don't have the childhood memories, I had the displeasure of watching late 90s UK teams repeatedly torment Vandy as an undergrad. Don't feel sorry for UK, it's about time they felt pain like that.

Last night's beating was just beautiful. I don't think I've ever seen Vandy (or many other teams) play a full 40 min better than that. Even Jamie Carroll and the walkons got some punches in.

That's 5 out of the last 6 against UK. Go Dores!

Lord Ash
02-13-2008, 12:10 PM
and forget tonight ever happened (if and when you can....)

To quote a great man; here is to NEVER forgetting tonight.

Clipsfan
02-13-2008, 12:14 PM
I thought they lost to Vandy, not 'Nova?? Did I miss something? I tried to watch that game for my wife, but when I turned it on, and the score was 45-11, I decided against it. In their defense, I think I would find it hard to play in that gym....its just a WEIRD setup, and that can honestly throw you off as a shooter. Maybe not THAT much but to a degree it can.

Definitely a strange setup. I wonder what it's like watching the game from below the court (where it looks like the students are).

Indoor66
02-13-2008, 12:18 PM
Definitely a strange setup. I wonder what it's like watching the game from below the court (where it looks like the students are).

Watching the Purdue-MI St game, it appeared that the benches were below court level as well. The ends of the court were not sunken, but the team benches looked like they were.

dynastydefender
02-13-2008, 12:18 PM

To quote a great man; here is to NEVER forgetting tonight.

To quote another great man...."You can't win em all."

Hey since we are not forgetting. Like my signoff picture?

Indoor66
02-13-2008, 12:20 PM
Like my signoff picture?

No, but you have to have something to hang onto.

dynastydefender
02-13-2008, 12:23 PM
I agree and I will leave it at that!

No, but you have to have something to hang onto.

RP_McMurphy
02-13-2008, 12:53 PM
They are a part of College Basketball. You either learn from them or get more. Lately Kentucky had been playing better and alot of it was with mirrors as Kentucky's talent level is still down. In 89 Pitino had a 55 point beat down by Kansas and learned from it. Seems he turned out pretty good.

Forrest
02-13-2008, 12:59 PM
Don't feel sorry for UK, it's about time they felt pain like that.

Now let's get one against the Gators, who did to us last month exactly what we did to UK last night. And not to look past the Gators, but there's an opportunity for even more payback on the 26th . . .

Forrest, who actually saw us beat UK in Memorial back in the day

HaveFunExpectToWin
02-13-2008, 01:03 PM
Even Jamie Carroll and the walkons...

Meant to write Jamie Graham (DB on the football team)

dynastydefender
02-13-2008, 01:14 PM
They are a part of College Basketball. You either learn from them or get more. Lately Kentucky had been playing better and alot of it was with mirrors as Kentucky's talent level is still down. In 89 Pitino had a 55 point beat down by Kansas and learned from it. Seems he turned out pretty good.

Back to Benchwarmer Status.

There it is. McMurphy put it out there. I asked earlier if anyone could remember the worst Defeat in UK history and the 89 Kansas game was it.

RP_McMurphy
02-13-2008, 02:45 PM
Where Pitino and Roy Williams almost threw down. Roy asked Pitino if he wanted a mercy timeout for Kentucky as Kentucky was dragging. Pitino let Roy know what he could do to himself after the game. That was the game where Kentucky learned not to back down even when getting it kicked in. The next year in Lexington......Kentucky had a nice victory over Kansas.