PDA

View Full Version : Photo on espn's college basketball page

hurleyfor3
02-12-2008, 03:11 PM
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0212/ncb_a_laettner_hurley_412.jpg

Surprised no one's mentioned this yet.

Where was it taken? I'd guess the 1990 regional final in the Meadowlands. Those unis weren't from '91 or '92 (after '90 the digits were changed and the 2's looked different).

pamtar
02-12-2008, 03:14 PM
Isn't that the shot?

TillyGalore
02-12-2008, 03:18 PM
Isn't that the shot?

No. We were in white for that game.

tbyers11
02-12-2008, 03:20 PM
Definitely not The Shot against Kentucky. We were the higher seed and were therefore wearing white. The regional final against UConn in '90 seems like a good guess to me. We were 3 seed against UConn's 1 and the background looks like an arena and not a dome. Christian and Bobby both look pretty young too.

mddukefan
02-12-2008, 03:22 PM
Pretty sure that's from when he hit the shot to beat UCONN at the buzzer in 1990.

hurleyfor3
02-12-2008, 03:28 PM
As I mentioned, the 2s on our unis were different in 1992. I can't find a before-and-after set of Greg Koubek photos, so this will have to suffice:

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/magazine/new/christian_laettner_1992.jpg

Mike Corey
02-12-2008, 04:10 PM
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0212/ncb_a_laettner_hurley_412.jpg

Sweet baby Jebus, I miss these jerseys.

Duvall
02-12-2008, 04:12 PM

But without the prominent corporate logo, how would we know which products to buy? It would be far too confusing.

MulletMan
02-12-2008, 04:20 PM
But without the prominent corporate logo, how would we know which products to buy? It would far too confusing.

You mean the ones that are all over everything that Duke sells now? I mean, so that all of my Duke wear is an advertiesement? I feel as though Nike should be giving ME some cash...

hurleyfor3
02-12-2008, 04:32 PM

I miss the people in them!

ugadevil
02-12-2008, 04:36 PM
I miss the people in them!

I miss the haircuts.

weezie
02-12-2008, 04:41 PM
I miss the haircuts.

These young people today.... how can braids ever stand up to the high top fades and the wedges of yore?

msdukie
02-12-2008, 05:12 PM
Those VERY NICE uniforms actually had a Russell Athletic "R" on the right hip (The 89 jerseys had the first corporate logo - the old adidas logo).

BDevilU
02-12-2008, 05:17 PM
I had that haircut!

Turtleboy
02-12-2008, 05:21 PM
Sweet baby Jebus, I miss these jerseys.And the best part is that were colored Duke Blue!

SilkyJ
02-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Pretty sure that's from when he hit the shot to beat UCONN at the buzzer in 1990.

that was my initial thought as well...

dear 8 pound, 6 ounce baby jesus...

IStillHateJimBain
02-12-2008, 08:42 PM
I think that might be from the win over Vegas in the 1991 semifinals.

Tom B.
02-12-2008, 09:50 PM
I think that might be from the win over Vegas in the 1991 semifinals.

Nope, can't be. In the 1990-91 season, the team's uniforms had American flags on the shoulders because of Gulf War I. No flag = not 1991.

Also, as noted above, I think the numeral "2" looked different on the 1990-91 unis.

It's almost certainly the 1990 regional final against UConn.

DavidBenAkiva
02-12-2008, 10:21 PM
When was the last time we wore those Blue/White unis? Was that a couple of years ago when Duhon had that drive at the end of the game to beat UNC? I can't remember us wearing them since then...

Those are my favorite unis.

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

feldspar
02-12-2008, 10:26 PM
Those are my favorite unis.

Agreed times infinity. I can tolerate the black unis every now and then. But I just really miss the blue and white ones.

Kimist
02-12-2008, 11:07 PM
Although the details are fuzzy, I think it was the buzzer-beater at the Meadowlands (Coach K called "special" on inbounds play?), perhaps same year when we got destroyed later by UNLV?

Could have been UConn, but frankly I do not remember the opponent....only the inbounds play with ball coming right back to Laettner.

If that guess crashes and burns, then perhaps the UNLV win the following year - but everyone looks too "young."

(Somewhere I have VHS tapes of those games collecting dust........):o

k

buddy
02-12-2008, 11:33 PM
It's from the regional finals in 1990 against UConn. Laettner inbounded to Davis with 2.6 seconds left, got the ball back, and sunk a runner at the buzzer. Everyone forgets this shot because of the 1992 shot. Probably because the 1990 game was very ragged, and we weren't trying to repeat. But at the time it was a very dramatic shot, because it got us back to the Final Four for the third straight time.

speedevil
02-13-2008, 01:27 AM
I had that haircut!

i have that haircut!

02-13-2008, 07:14 AM
Why is it that everyone but Coach K, the Duke staff and the players can see that the road jerseys they wear now are awful? The old road blues (actual Duke Blue), may they rise again. That Laettner shot against Uconn is a great memory indeed.

BlueDevilJay
02-13-2008, 08:08 AM
That pic was from the 1990 game over UConn in the Regionals, 100% sure of it.

Tom B.
02-13-2008, 04:48 PM
It's from the regional finals in 1990 against UConn. Laettner inbounded to Davis with 2.6 seconds left, got the ball back, and sunk a runner at the buzzer. Everyone forgets this shot because of the 1992 shot. Probably because the 1990 game was very ragged, and we weren't trying to repeat. But at the time it was a very dramatic shot, because it got us back to the Final Four for the third straight time.

We eliminated UConn on a buzzer-beater, after UConn had eliminated Clemson on an even more improbable buzzer-beater in the previous round. UConn led almost the entire game (by as much as 19 at one point), but Clemson took the lead with 12 seconds remaining on a three-pointer by David Young. UConn's Tate George then missed a shot with four seconds left -- Clemson's Sean Tyson claimed the rebound and was fouled with 1.6 seconds to go. He missed the front end of the one-and-one, and UConn rebounded the miss and called timeout with exactly one second left.

On the ensuing play, Scott Burrell threw a length-of-the-court pass to Tate George, who caught the ball on the right baseline, turned and put up a 16-foot jumper that was just barely out of his hand when the clock went to all zeros. Sean Tyson, who was guarding George, instinctively pulled his arms back in a conscious effort to keep from fouling George, and the shot swished through the net.

Had Clemson beaten UConn, they would have faced Duke in the next round with a trip to the Final Four on the line. Interestingly enough, Clemson actually had beaten Duke 97-93 a few weeks earlier in Littlejohn, which was the most recent meeting between the two teams.

hurleyfor3
02-13-2008, 05:31 PM
We eliminated UConn on a buzzer-beater, after UConn had eliminated Clemson on an even more improbable buzzer-beater in the previous round. UConn led almost the entire game (by as much as 19 at one point), but Clemson took the lead with 12 seconds remaining on a three-pointer by David Young. UConn's Tate George then missed a shot with four seconds left -- Clemson's Sean Tyson claimed the rebound and was fouled with 1.6 seconds to go. He missed the front end of the one-and-one, and UConn rebounded the miss and called timeout with exactly one second left.

On the ensuing play, Scott Burrell threw a length-of-the-court pass to Tate George, who caught the ball on the right baseline, turned and put up a 16-foot jumper that was just barely out of his hand when the clock went to all zeros. Sean Tyson, who was guarding George, instinctively pulled his arms back in a conscious effort to keep from fouling George, and the shot swished through the net.

Had Clemson beaten UConn, they would have faced Duke in the next round with a trip to the Final Four on the line. Interestingly enough, Clemson actually had beaten Duke 97-93 a few weeks earlier in Littlejohn, which was the most recent meeting between the two teams.

You know what else was weird about this game? It wasn't on teevee in Durham. WRAL showed some other game... UNC/Arkansas I think. Our Sweet 16 game, against Ucla, was the late game in the Meadowlands that night.