PDA

View Full Version : Duke MBB vs. Maryland Pre-Game and In-Game thread

bjornolf
02-12-2008, 09:17 AM
Is it too early to start talking about the Terp game? I'd love some analysis from the crowd on how this matchup will differ from the last one, other than locale, of course. ;)

CMS2478
02-12-2008, 09:20 AM
Is it too early to start talking about the Terp game? I'd love some analysis from the crowd on how this matchup will differ from the last one, other than locale, of course. ;)

I am very nervous about this one. :(

OldPhiKap
02-12-2008, 09:33 AM
Maryland is pretty hot, and they are fighting to lock down a tourney spot. A win at Duke would put them in pretty solid position.

This should be our most intense game of the year so far. I'm glad we've manned-up since last time we played them, big time. Should be an epic battle.

CDu
02-12-2008, 09:42 AM
I don't think it should differ too much. Maryland will try as hard as they can to get the ball into the hands of their post players. Duke will try as hard as they can to prevent that, and to force turnovers.

If Maryland succeeds in getting the ball into the paint (either with entry passes or dribble penetration) then we will be in trouble defensively.

I see no reason to expect this to be anything other than a high-scoring affair again.

wilson
02-12-2008, 10:33 AM
I'm nervous about this one too. Maryland has already proven they can win a really tough road game. Plus, as has been noted, they are hot and seeking to maintain momentum into the tournament.
Lastly, my dad is going. His last game in Cameron (also my first-ever game there)? January, 1993. Grant Hill broke his foot and we lost to Wake.:(

ugadevil
02-12-2008, 10:37 AM
I think turnovers will be big in this game, as they have been all year. Maryland has the type of offense where they will score on us, if they have time to execute. If we can take away those possessions, then we'll be in good shape. I'd be surprised if Osby played as well in this game as he did in College Park. I think someone else for them is going to have to step up. Vasquez perhaps?

Methodistman
02-12-2008, 10:43 AM
Yes, Maryland is hot. But it seems to me that they were pretty hot when we beat them up there, as they were coming off of the stunning upset of then #1 unc turpentine holes. I do expect that Vasquez will try to put on a show - he seems to relish these type of games and the opportunity to be the villian. Very excited to see how Lance will do in this game - I hope to see that continued improvement. I'm also quite confident that Gist and Osby will NOT have the same kind of numbers that they did in the last game - one of them may, but definitely not both. K always devises a great game plan, and knowing that 1 person will not beat us, I look for K to try to shut down Gist. Rebounding will be key, but I'm also optimistic that we will not need to gather many offensive rebounds - I'm planning on there not being many opportunities for them as we will have a higher than average shooting percentage.

MChambers
02-12-2008, 11:10 AM
I wasn't worried until I read these posts! I'm still skeptical about Maryland's revival, however, and I feel very good about our chances. I just don't see Maryland protecting or shooting the ball well enough to beat us.

CDu
02-12-2008, 11:27 AM
I wasn't worried until I read these posts! I'm still skeptical about Maryland's revival, however, and I feel very good about our chances. I just don't see Maryland protecting or shooting the ball well enough to beat us.

I wouldn't be skeptical about Maryland's revival. They're a good team. We should still win, but it wouldn't be a huge surprise if we didn't win.

dbowen
02-12-2008, 11:33 AM
Does anyone hear think that K will try to motivate these guys (like he did 2 years ago in Cameron)? when he had every team member sign on the "D" at center court to play with a passion at home and to protect the court. Coming off of a sub-par home game against BC (no credit taken from the game BC played), I think he might have a trick in the bag so that our team will come out firing on all cylinders.

CDu
02-12-2008, 11:39 AM
Does anyone hear think that K will try to motivate these guys (like he did 2 years ago in Cameron)? when he had every team member sign on the "D" at center court to play with a passion at home and to protect the court. Coming off of a sub-par home game against BC (no credit taken from the game BC played), I think he might have a trick in the bag so that our team will come out firing on all cylinders.

Coach K is a fantastic motivator. I'm sure he'll do something to get these guys focused and ready to play.

Methodistman
02-12-2008, 11:46 AM

Since it will be K's birthday, maybe he'll give them some cake and ice cream in the locker room to get them all sugared up!

gw67
02-12-2008, 11:58 AM
I agree with CDu that it should be a high scoring game. I think that it is likely that the Devils play Osby tougher but I also suspect that the Terps won’t have 22 turnovers. By the way, the Maryland guards, Vasquez and Hayes, totaled 16 assists against 6 turnovers in the last game. Most of the turnovers were by frontcourt players. The starting five of the Terps is capable of playing the Devils starting five even, IMO. The problem, as highlighted in the first game, is that the Terps’ bench does not provide much help. As a result, Gist, Vasquez and Hayes typically play about 35 minutes (and maybe more against Duke) and they are often out of gas the last 5-10 minutes against a deep team that plays at a fast pace like Duke.

The Devils are loaded with quality players who are confidant and are getting better. Furthermore, no one has yet figured out how to defense a team that has so many perimeter weapons. Sure, the Terps are better inside but the Devils are capable of blasting teams off the court who rely on the inside game and don’t make a bunch of threes.

I expect Gist and Vasquez to play well and to keep the Terps close for much of the game. However, the combination of three pointers and drives to the basket will eventually win out for the Devils at home. I expect a fun game to watch and a 10-15 point win for the home team.

gw67

Madrasdukie
02-12-2008, 12:10 PM
I agree with CDu that it should be a high scoring game. I think that it is likely that the Devils play Osby tougher but I also suspect that the Terps won’t have 22 turnovers. By the way, the Maryland guards, Vasquez and Hayes, totaled 16 assists against 6 turnovers in the last game. Most of the turnovers were by frontcourt players. The starting five of the Terps is capable of playing the Devils starting five even, IMO. The problem, as highlighted in the first game, is that the Terps’ bench does not provide much help. As a result, Gist, Vasquez and Hayes typically play about 35 minutes (and maybe more against Duke) and they are often out of gas the last 5-10 minutes against a deep team that plays at a fast pace like Duke.

The Devils are loaded with quality players who are confidant and are getting better. Furthermore, no one has yet figured out how to defense a team that has so many perimeter weapons. Sure, the Terps are better inside but the Devils are capable of blasting teams off the court who rely on the inside game and don’t make a bunch of threes.

I expect Gist and Vasquez to play well and to keep the Terps close for much of the game. However, the combination of three pointers and drives to the basket will eventually win out for the Devils at home. I expect a fun game to watch and a 10-15 point win for the home team.

gw67

I agree their guards are good (maybe not as good on the defensive front) - it should be a fun match-up.

I wonder how much of a factor Zoubek will be esp. in the context of sharing some of the post-defense, and rebounding load ?

Also, Lance at Comcast is different from the Lance we have now.

CDu
02-12-2008, 12:29 PM
I agree their guards are good (maybe not as good on the defensive front) - it should be a fun match-up.

I wonder how much of a factor Zoubek will be esp. in the context of sharing some of the post-defense, and rebounding load ?

Also, Lance at Comcast is different from the Lance we have now.

I don't expect much, if any, contribution from Zoubek. He's just lost so much development time due to the injuries, and he was already behind the curve coming into the season.

I DO hope for a solid contribution from Thomas. He's playing much better lately. It will help us greatly if he can keep improving and become a reasonably consistent presence in the post.

And I agree that it will be a fun matchup.

Clipsfan
02-12-2008, 12:38 PM
I expect that, unlike the game at MD, the rims will be very soft tomorrow. You could hear the high pitched noise when the ball hit the rims up north; tomorrow there should be a very soft landing for slightly errant shots. If this helps our 3-point shooting, as it should, we should be able to complete the regular season sweep.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-12-2008, 12:47 PM
Maryland will test Duke's speed and defense, but Duke will seriously test Maryland's endurance. I anticipate that Duke's improved physical conditioning will pay off as it did in the Carolina game. The Maryland game provides another test of the idea behind the 17-day layoff over the holiday break.... an experiment to determine whether the team's endurance in the second half of the season is influenced positively. Make no mistake, Maryland will come in playing to win.

Madrasdukie
02-12-2008, 01:13 PM
I don't expect much, if any, contribution from Zoubek. He's just lost so much development time due to the injuries, and he was already behind the curve coming into the season.

This is what I suspect as well. On a more optimistic note, minutes that he gets between now and March should to some extent bolster our team's strength and options come the NCAA tournament. Anything before that, will definetly be a welcome boost.

SMO
02-12-2008, 01:27 PM
This is what I suspect as well. On a more optimistic note, minutes that he gets between now and March should to some extent bolster our team's strength and options come the NCAA tournament. Anything before that, will definetly be a welcome boost.

I don't think Z will play big minutes but he does give us a body to put on Gist and Osby. Just 2-5 min out of Zoubs could be enough to disrupt them if they get rolling, and that could have an impact on the game. I like our chances at home, with an improved LT, and a few minutes from Zoubek.

DoubleDuke Dad
02-12-2008, 01:27 PM
One benefit of having Zoubek on the bench is that we will have five more fouls to give against the Maryland frontcourt. However, if Zoubek picks up fouls as quickly as he did in the BC game that should only account for about 25 seconds of playing time! :(

diesel
02-12-2008, 01:49 PM

gw67

As usual, I think GW67 gives a very astute forecast of what is likely to happen in the Md game.

I want to add one thing though. I think there is a marked difference between the conditioning of our team this year and that of most of our opponents. It is not simply a matter of us having more depth this year and hence more bodies to put in--although that is a factor. For instance, in the BC game Kyle Singler played 34 minutes and Demarcus Nelson played 30 minutes.

As a result, in most games we have played it has looked to me as though our superior conditioning means our opponents are simply out of gas in the final minutes of play. Thus they haven't been able to compete when we go to stall ball to preserve our lead.

Madrasdukie
02-12-2008, 01:50 PM
I don't think Z will play big minutes but he does give us a body to put on Gist and Osby. Just 2-5 min out of Zoubs could be enough to disrupt them if they get rolling, and that could have an impact on the game. I like our chances at home, with an improved LT, and a few minutes from Zoubek.

Agree.

2535Miles
02-12-2008, 02:18 PM
Vasquez and Gist are 4 and 5 in scoring/game in the ACC, Gist is 5 in rebounding/game and Vasquez leads with 7 assists/game. It's safe to predict the offense will flow through these two players. I'm looking forward to an uptempo game and hope that we disrupt the Twerps flow by hassling Vasquez, cutting of his passing lanes, and making the big guys chase us downcourt on transition baskets.

On a side note, in the past few years this game always makes me nervous. There are few things I loathe more than Maryland (9F9F9F). When I first moved to California, I discovered my friend's neighbors were college basketball fans. Far from home, and excited to find a college basketball fan, I proudly exclaimed I loved Duke and asked who they pulled for, they're response: "Maryland, and I'll !@#$ing $#!& on a Duke fan." Nice.

With that said, I'm hoping that Nelson or Henderson finally nail one of those vicious dunks early in the game; any of the Twerps will serve as the perfect recipient.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-12-2008, 02:35 PM
As usual, I think GW67 gives a very astute forecast of what is likely to happen in the Md game.

I want to add one thing though. I think there is a marked difference between the conditioning of our team this year and that of most of our opponents. It is not simply a matter of us having more depth this year and hence more bodies to put in--although that is a factor. For instance, in the BC game Kyle Singler played 34 minutes and Demarcus Nelson played 30 minutes.

As a result, in most games we have played it has looked to me as though our superior conditioning means our opponents are simply out of gas in the final minutes of play. Thus they haven't been able to compete when we go to stall ball to preserve our lead.
This is a point I've been mentioning since early January. Physical conditioning is becoming a theme in Duke athletics ..... look at what's going on with the football program. Perhaps the 17-day break over the holidays is paying off as well!

bluedev_92
02-12-2008, 03:21 PM
Expect better defense on our part. MD front line will play well, but not as well as they did @ home. We will still create turnovers & wear Maryland down. Improved freethrow shooting (my prediction) will make it comfortable at the end...

DukeDude
02-12-2008, 04:38 PM

I had the same thought after the BC game and went looking for some stats to back me up. In the 2nd half of all 9 ACC games, Duke has outscored the opposition from the under 8 minute timeout to the end of the game. Long live stall ball! :D

Remembering the previous MD game, Paulus got into foul trouble halfway through the second half and Nolan Smith came in and did a great job of running the stall. MD had no one who could stay in front of him and I hope to see more of the same in this game.

dukestheheat
02-12-2008, 06:27 PM
Expect better defense on our part. MD front line will play well, but not as well as they did @ home. We will still create turnovers & wear Maryland down. Improved freethrow shooting (my prediction) will make it comfortable at the end...

And K certainly is preparing the guys to come out mentally ready from the opening tip. I do believe that going forward with the rest of our ACC schedule, this is the first game of some really good tests for Duke: Maryland who's HOT right now and getting better, at State who have something to prove, at Miami, at Wake who have the same to prove and then hosting the hated Holes again. I think that these five games are totally crucial for Duke and while we're playing well, tomorrow's game is going to begin the 'war' series for Duke, imo.

Maryland seems to come to Cameron with a chip on its collective shoulder; Sweat Gary Sweat seems to find the right way to get them emotionally ready for Cameron and they seem to feed off of our crowd (as do the Holes).

Duke is going to have to bring it full throttle and in no way downplay that team; I expect the inside to naturally go to Maryland and a sweet thing going on with Kyle Singler: he's rotating more outside with that high pick for our PG, and then is looking to shoot the deep ball. That's pulling their big AWAY from the basket, which helps us get some more rebounds.

Our spacing, passing and pressure D will help give Duke the breathing room going away, but it's going to take time and great effort from the team and the Crazies!

Let's go DUKE, one game at a time going down the stretch!

dth.

heath_harshman4
02-12-2008, 07:12 PM
although it will be a good game, i am not too worried.

IDK how much better Maryland can play against us. Their Big men ate us alive, and they shot well. And it was at their place.

gofurman
02-12-2008, 11:43 PM
I had the same thought after the BC game and went looking for some stats to back me up. In the 2nd half of all 9 ACC games, Duke has outscored the opposition from the under 8 minute timeout to the end of the game. Long live stall ball! :D

Remembering the previous MD game, Paulus got into foul trouble halfway through the second half and Nolan Smith came in and did a great job of running the stall. MD had no one who could stay in front of him and I hope to see more of the same in this game.

You are spot on about Nolan - he was key in the first game. Paulus was fine but Nolan was a huge spark against the trep gaurds - their two gaurds are long and lanky (think Scheyer) and defend the three well so Paulus can struggle while Nolan is able to penetrate. I hope to see him get 15-20 minutes in this one

diesel
02-13-2008, 07:09 AM
In the last Md game at Comcast, I was told by DBR that Nolan Richardson would be a factor for Duke, and was returning to his Md roots.

I knew we had Nolan Smith, another Marylander, and I have been impressed with that young man. I just didn't know that the former Arkansas coach or his namesake son coaches were in the action for us too.

Today DBR tells me that in the rematch with the Terps tonight at CIS " the game may come down to this: can Duke force Gist and Obama out of position, or will Maryland use them as a battering ram to knock a hole in Duke’s defense?"

I may have to reassess my political views. It is obvious that the Democrats and Terps have a highly versatile candidate and player. Right after winning the Md Democratic primary he is going to hit the floor for the Maryland team. I'm on record as saying above that our stamina and conditioning have been key factors in our winning ways. It appears we may have met our match.

But I'm interested in what position Obama plays. He looks like a No.5 type to me: lean and possibly mean.

mgtr
02-13-2008, 07:21 AM
Right about Obama. You beat me to the post. But, Obama says he wants to bring change, and starting for the Terps sounds like plenty of change.

sandinmyshoes
02-13-2008, 08:03 AM
I'm guess it will be a game of short runs, but eventually Maryland will have an extended drought that will coincide with a couple of big threes by Duke as well as some fastbreak points off of Maryland's turnovers and misses during that drought. Probably will happen mid second half and the rest of the game will follow with one of the usual patterns, we build a bit on that in the final couple of minutes, or we miss free throws but hold off the mini rally by Maryland.

gw67
02-13-2008, 08:23 AM
One more thought from a Maryland perspective. The article by Eric Prisbell in this morning's Post provided a very good perspective on the Terps' turnaround. IMO, the turnaround is primarily due to two reasons. First, the frontcourt performance by both starters and reserves did not match the backcourt play during the first 12 games. I joked with a friend, a Maryland Alum, that the only assists that Vasquez and Hayes were getting were passes to one another. Gist, Osby and Milbourne have played vey well during the last month. Second, Williams has cut back significantly on the minutes that the freshmen big men play. This has put a burden on the starters to play more minutes but Vasquez and Hayes are much more comfortable passing to teammates who can put the ball in the basket.

DBR made a very astute observation in their pre-game write-up. The Maryland frontcourt players are not good passers and, in fact, they were responsible for many of the turnovers during early season games.

gw67

OldPhiKap
02-13-2008, 08:39 AM
Right about Obama. You beat me to the post. But, Obama says he wants to bring change, and starting for the Terps sounds like plenty of change.

You saw how he dominated in Maryland last night. Dude can post big numbers in a hurry.

Methodistman
02-13-2008, 10:52 AM
I really am expecting us to come out tonight with awesome defensive intensity. I'm really getting pumped for tonight!

365Duke
02-13-2008, 03:38 PM
For some reason I am more nervous about tonights game than I was the unc game. I'm very excited, but nervous. I predict a close win, but it's going to be a battle for sure.

Go BLUE DEVILS! Roll the turtles on their backs!:D

Ben63
02-13-2008, 03:47 PM
ESPN Classic is currently airing classic Duke Md games. The 2001 OT 98-96 win is on at 4et. The 95 loss is on now. Even though we lost, it still was a great game.

Dbluedevils1530
02-13-2008, 03:56 PM
Maryland has a solid team this year no doubt. Yeah when u look at their schedule you wouldn't think much about it. Their record doesn't show it. Hopefully the crowd will rattle some of their players and cause a lot of miscommunication.(Yeah, and i'm sure that's what UNC thought when Maryland went down to their place.)And Maryland won that game.
So, what does Duke need to do tonight?
- Work the ball around and look for an open shot.
- Do not force things.
- Use the bench a lot to wear down Maryland.
- Get the ball to Lance Thomas and if that doesn't work, kick it out and knock down a 3.
- Force turnovers, that is going to be HUGE for tonights game.

LETS GO DUKE!!

loran16
02-13-2008, 04:03 PM
2001 @Maryland game is now on ESPN classic. Just starting, so if you want tune in in like an hour so as to see the miracle minute and OT.

Fun classic.

Classof06
02-13-2008, 04:16 PM
I am very nervous about this one. :(

Amen. This one's gonna be a streetfight, baby...

juise
02-13-2008, 04:30 PM
But I'm interested in what position Obama plays. He looks like a No.5 type to me: lean and possibly mean.

Remember, he's been working out with Reggie Love. I hope Reggie didn't give him a copy of the old playbook! :eek:

Dukiedevil
02-13-2008, 04:53 PM
Remember, he's been working out with Reggie Love. I hope Reggie didn't give him a copy of the old playbook! :eek:

So does that mean that Coach K has McCain or Clinton on our bench? I think Patrick Davidson would make a better president than either, however :D

Indoor66
02-13-2008, 04:58 PM
So does that mean that Coach K has McCain or Clinton on our bench? I think Patrick Davidson would make a better president than either, however :D

Patrick Davidson does not govern, he rules.

loran16
02-13-2008, 07:22 PM
Can we have ANY other broadcasters? I like vitale in general, but patrick gets so involved in talking facts he's memorized ahead of time that he doesnt explain what any calls are.

*Whistle blows* "And vazquez had a great last 2 games".

I DONT CARE.

AGKDJGL:KSDJG:LKSJDGKL:JG

dukegirlinsc
02-13-2008, 08:29 PM
"...hold against ron paulus."

who?
lol.
ily mike patrick.

loran16
02-13-2008, 08:36 PM
Coach K has 3 timeouts compared to Md's 1.....and now he uses 1? Jeez coach, how bout during that 5 minute scoreless streak. No?

freedevil
02-13-2008, 08:41 PM
Why on earth did ESPN cut to that crap UConn game???????????

loran16
02-13-2008, 08:42 PM
Why on earth did ESPN cut to that crap UConn game???????????

Theyve been doing it all game.

loran16
02-13-2008, 08:45 PM
For the record, i understand the attention to that game. It is Two ranked teams after all. But if you're going to do that, how bout you do that at commercial and cut a few ads from your lineup, because once you've committed to a game, its really irritating.

Karl Beem
02-13-2008, 08:50 PM
Sure glad we're bing kept up to date on the UConnvicts.:rolleyes:

Karl Beem
02-13-2008, 08:56 PM
And on the Clemons Hearing.:cool:

kramerbr
02-13-2008, 09:05 PM
Anyone see him in the crowd?

dukegirlinsc
02-13-2008, 09:31 PM
Anyone see him in the crowd?

yeah i was wondering how that whole situation turned out...i tried to look for him, but i was too involved elsewhere, lol. ;)