PDA

View Full Version : Tell Me About Memphis

Pam
02-12-2008, 08:07 AM
They haven't been on TV in my area, or I missed the games. They are #4 in the RPI with an SOS of 43. I know they play in Conference USA - not a powerhouse conference. In looking at the rest of their schedule, the only dangerous game I see is Tennessee. So, from those of you who have seen them play, how dangerous are they?

Thanks!

dukerev
02-12-2008, 09:23 AM
I've seen Memphis a few times on tv and watched almost all of the Memphis-Gonzaga game. By no means am I an expert, but here's my impressions:

First, this is a very good basketball team. I haven't seen any great teams this year (including us, Kansas, UNC, UCLA, or Georgetown, all of whom I've watched full games) - but Memphis is very, very good. They are extremely athletic and have excellent players at each of the key positions. Rose may actually be underappreciated as a point guard (believe it or not). He is almost as fast as Lawson, but is bigger, more athletic and I think a better decision maker. CDR (Douglas-Roberts) is a prototypical Memphis Tiger - long, lean, jumps out of the building (think Rodney Carney with better actual basketball skills) and is the leadership of the team. Dorsey is a big time banger inside. Won't hurt anyone more than five feet from the basket, but cleans the glass, rebounds and plays good defense. His problem is attitude (remember last year when he said he would eat Oden's lunch?). He's also been suspended for a game or two for going to a nightclub.

One of the big weaknesses has been free throw shooting. It has struck me though, that this is a concentration problem rather than an ability problem. Unlike Clemson, who seem to freeze on the line in big situations, Memphis seems to do fine when the game is on the line. They've been in a lot of blowouts though, and that is where the low percentage comes in. Obviously you'd rather shoot free throws well, but I don't think this is as big a chink in the armor as has been suggested.

Memphis is highly motivated. I'm not a big fan of Calipari. He reminds me of Tarkanian - a lot. But he's got some big time talent at Memphis, has really gelled this team together as that - a team (extremely important!), and they are playing with a chip on their shoulder, including playing the "no respect" card. Memphis will not be an easy out in the tournament.

dkbaseball
02-12-2008, 03:28 PM
Supposedly, their one weakness is free throw shooting -- they don't have anybody on the floor at the end of the game you'd want on the line. Given the easy conference they play in, they could come into the tournament like UNLV in '91 -- not well prepared for a close game after blowing everybody out. In that situation, free throw shooting could make a big difference.

Just re-read dukerev's post in its entirety. He's got the better take on the free throw issue.

mepanchin
02-12-2008, 06:11 PM
Actually Dozier was suspended, not Dorsey. Dorsey actually seems like a hard working kid who embraces his role as the Ben Wallace of the Memphis team. The comment last year about Oden seemed like the typical kind of gamesmanship you get at high level athletics. I would not want a Duke player doing it, but I don't think it reflects an "attitude problem."

Memphis' style is actually rather similar to ours. They play extremely good defense, and unlike us, they have bangers inside to get rebounds and play post defense and block shots (Dorsey is one of the best rebounders in Division I, along with DeJuan Blair, Kevin Love and Michael Beasley). They have great perimeter pressure and cause a lot of turnovers. Their game is based on disrupting teams' offense and getting out in transition. They are probably the best defensive team in the nation, or at least among a handful of the best along with Kansas and maybe Wisconsin or Kansas State or Stanford.

Offensively, they try to spread the floor and beat people off the dribble. They don't generate much offense from the post at all. They also do a lot of drive and kicks - but they are not nearly as proficient a 3 point shooting team as Duke is. Dorsey's presence is basically for offensive boards and dunks off penetration. They are very athletic, but, like I said, not a particularly adept shooting team. They are not particularly effective executing in the half-court and prefer to get in transition and use their defense to create offense.

I think it's reasonably likely that they enter the NCAA tournament undefeated. They still have a home game against Tennessee, but Memphis is very tough to beat at home. 34-0 is pretty likely, but 40-0 is not. If I had to bet, I would say they would not make the Final Four at this point, because I am not sold on their offensive ability and their ability to play at a high level away from home. They have lost in the Elite 8 the last 2 years under 2 extremely weak offensive performances. Depending who they draw, they could bow out in the Round of 16 or 8 realistically. If they finish the season 34-0 (winning out + CUSA tournament title), then they could set an NCAA record for most wins in a season if they make the Final Four - one that sits on a 4 way tie between 86 Duke, 87 UNLV, 99 Duke and 05 Illinois.

Pam
02-12-2008, 11:32 PM
Your replies have been a big help to me. I hope to be able to see them play against Tennessee - hopefully a big game like that will be on TV in the DC area. Not having seen them play and only reading about them on the sports sites, I really felt I knew very little.

I appreciate the info!!!!!

BTW, UNC is falling apart.