PDA

View Full Version : coach k must go

topps coach
02-12-2008, 01:48 AM
I see no reason to keep him since the game has obviously passed him by. He spends too much time and effort on USA Basketball. He no longer recruits quality big men. Howdoes this guy keep his JOB. Oh yeah we are in first place in the ACC and number 2 inthe nation.

SeattleIrish
02-12-2008, 02:33 AM
And yet, there was that loss to Pittsburgh...

s.i.

SeattleIrish
02-12-2008, 02:35 AM
and, of course, I'm just joking :-)

s.i.

Clipsfan
02-12-2008, 01:11 PM
As long as we end the season with a win (preferably with at least 7 straight) I'll be happy ;) Actually, no matter what happens, I've really enjoyed watching this team.

Devils8780
02-12-2008, 01:16 PM
He could coach another 20 years. Think of the legacy...

ugadevil
02-12-2008, 01:20 PM
I see no reason to keep him since the game has obviously passed him by. He spends too much time and effort on USA Basketball. He no longer recruits quality big men. Howdoes this guy keep his JOB. Oh yeah we are in first place in the ACC and number 2 inthe nation.

You forgot that his players can't produce in the pros!

DukeDevil
02-12-2008, 01:23 PM
Remember Boozer? Man, what a load of hype. Talk about a flop.

SMO
02-12-2008, 01:29 PM

Let's not limit this criticism to K. Remember that Duke is down. Their program is declining. They're about as good as Rutgers.

Just imagine what this team would be doing if they weren't in decline!

KenTankerous
02-12-2008, 01:40 PM
With the way the Devils are falling off, it behooves you not to schedule Gardner-Webb next year.

Classof06
02-12-2008, 01:47 PM
The guy can't use depth and doesn't know how to tailor offensive schemes to the personnel he has on the team :)

dukeman28428
02-12-2008, 01:48 PM
Someone has too much time on their hands. Without question, Coach K is the greatest in the game, and maybe the best ever, and my guess is some of the sour grape "Heels" may be posting here. I will take Coach K forever and be happy. GO DUKE

SMO
02-12-2008, 01:54 PM
Someone has too much time on their hands. Without question, Coach K is the greatest in the game, and maybe the best ever, and my guess is some of the sour grape "Heels" may be posting here. I will take Coach K forever and be happy. GO DUKE

Is there a tongue-in-cheek icon? If so perhaps we should add one lest we be misunderstood as real critics.:p

BlueintheFace
02-12-2008, 01:55 PM
Plus, he yells at the refs and gets all the calls. Just ask Oliver Purnell... oh wait... wrong Carolina team.

pamtar
02-12-2008, 01:59 PM
Plus, he cant recruit big men or super-versatile freshman who are second on the team in scoring.

Flyers52
02-12-2008, 01:59 PM
I hope this is all a joke. K might be focusing his sights on both USA and Duke, but he's also the best in the game. I like Dawkins and the rest of the staff, but K is still the man.

KenTankerous
02-12-2008, 02:03 PM
I'm not kidding. Gardner-Webb is the next Gonzaga.

OldPhiKap
02-12-2008, 02:03 PM

Sheesh. How can you want to stick with K? He's not even leading the active coaching all-time win list! I mean -- at best he is a runner-up.

Maybe we can hire Eddie Sutton.

If you look at K's record the years which Nonsequential Cecadas emerge -- 1983, 1995, 2006 -- you will see that his record is well below par and his NCAA record is atrocious. I mean, really. How can you defend this guy?

KenTankerous
02-12-2008, 02:10 PM
In fact, the program is such shambles, it should just be renamed University of North Carolina at Durham and let Roy Williams take over.

OldPhiKap
02-12-2008, 02:17 PM
I would push for bringing in Bill Self, but you can never pry anyone away from Kansas. Once they promise to stay there, they usually do.

Indoor66
02-12-2008, 02:25 PM
Tarkanian is available....

Bluedog
02-12-2008, 02:33 PM
I agree wholeheartedly. He's only led his team to 10 final fours for a dismal third place on the all-time list. Since 1985, he has merely 68 NCAA tourny victories (barely above second place Roy's 45 and only 3 above Dean Smith on the all-time list). And only 61 of the 65 Duke graduates since 1986 have played in the Final Four! What about the other four players?!? Is it really fair to them?

OldPhiKap
02-12-2008, 02:40 PM
I agree wholeheartedly. He's only led his team to 10 final fours for a dismal third place on the all-time list. Since 1985, he has merely 68 NCAA tourny victories (barely above second place Roy's 45 and only 3 above Dean Smith on the all-time list). And only 61 of the 65 Duke graduates since 1986 have played in the Final Four! What about the other four players?!? Is it really fair to them?

(With Knight gone, he may be up to second. Of course, the only thing better than hiring Knight would be to hire Pat Summit. Think of the personality she would bring to the sideline . . . . )

dukestheheat
02-12-2008, 08:51 PM

with those results....as the Britishers would say.....'SACK 'IM!'.

dth did NOT approve this message.

jzp5079
02-12-2008, 08:57 PM
we all know wojo is behind EVERYTHING.

Might as well let wojo take over team usa, duke, presidency, NATO, custody of Brittany Spears kids, Writers Guild, etc...

Carter431
02-12-2008, 11:34 PM
I'm thinking that Billy Gillespie will be available soon so maybe we can get him..

speedevil
02-13-2008, 01:02 AM

your right, coach k should leave.

he can come to california and coach at stanford. haha talk about hoop dreams, but if he did, stanford would be a powerhouse in the pac 10 and the nation.

dukemomLA
02-13-2008, 03:57 AM
Noticed that this is your 2nd post. I'm thinkin' you're a TarHole in disguise. Or....perhaps it's a tongue-in-cheek post?? From where are you coming?

Certainly your disparagement of Coach K would need a more expanded explanation -- especially on the DBR website. ...Otherwise take your drivel to Inside Carolina.

camion
02-13-2008, 06:39 AM
I mean, like, he hasn't won two titles in a row since '92. That's way too long between double championships.

Maybe Doherty is ready for a comeback. That guy could recruit.

OldPhiKap
02-13-2008, 08:37 AM
Maybe Doherty is ready for a comeback. That guy could recruit.

Something tells me that Mad Matt wouldn't keep JD on the staff.
Call it a hunch.

Devilsfan
02-13-2008, 09:11 AM
Yeah, those coaches would most likely not spend all that personal time and monies helping out the community with projects like the Emily K Center, helping on the Jimmy V Foundation, assisting in support of the Duke's Childrens Hospital. Doesn't he know coaches are supposed to be self centered? P. S. Happy Birthday Coach!!

topps coach
02-13-2008, 09:46 AM
LA MOM While new to posting on the board I have been a DUKE fan since ehe days of Bobby Verga. My tongue was firmly in my cheek when this was posted

Highlander
02-13-2008, 10:01 AM
And only 61 of the 65 Duke graduates since 1986 have played in the Final Four!

With the four being Wojo, Price, McLeod, and ....Dahntay?

EagleDevil
02-13-2008, 10:59 AM
As long as we end the season with a win (preferably with at least 7 straight) I'll be happy ;) Actually, no matter what happens, I've really enjoyed watching this team.

Seven straight wins to end the season is impossible, unless Duke ends up in the NCAA 64-vs.-65 play-in game. ;) How about ten?

dynastydefender
02-13-2008, 12:03 PM

Well...I will be honest. Coach K is the ONLY reason I don't outright hate the Duke program.(well that wasn't fair. This Mesage Board is the other reason) He is classy, bold, and quite the opposite of what the poster of this thread described. He is the most innovative and most intuitive of all of the active coaches that have ever been involved in the game. Plus he cares about his players success after college. Why would you want to get rid of him? You named the court after him.

Bluedog
02-13-2008, 12:21 PM
With the four being Wojo, Price, McLeod, and ....Dahntay?

Dahntay doesn't really count because he only played two years at Duke. I should have said "played four years at Duke" instead of "graduated." So, yes, those four are correct. The fourth I was referring to is Todd Singleton, an electrical engineering major who played from 94-98 with Wojo, Price, and McLeod. He averaged 0.9 ppg. They made the Elite Eight, but couldn't quite get over that hump....

OldPhiKap
02-13-2008, 01:34 PM
Dahntay doesn't really count because he only played two years at Duke. I should have said "played four years at Duke" instead of "graduated." So, yes, those four are correct. The fourth I was referring to is Todd Singleton, an electrical engineering major who played from 94-98 with Wojo, Price, and McLeod. He averaged 0.9 ppg. They made the Elite Eight, but couldn't quite get over that hump....

Wasn't McLeod only a two-year'er as well?

Bluedog
02-13-2008, 01:45 PM
Wasn't McLeod only a two-year'er as well?

Yes, you are correct. Clearly, I have no idea what I'm talking about and somebody else should take the baton....

Nesto
02-13-2008, 02:48 PM
Seven straight wins to end the season is impossible, unless Duke ends up in the NCAA 64-vs.-65 play-in game. ;) How about ten?

I'm assuming the 7 straight includes the win to capture the ACC Tournament :)

EagleDevil
02-13-2008, 03:17 PM
I'm assuming the 7 straight includes the win to capture the ACC Tournament :)

Right, but to do that, you have to win two more in the ACC tourney. Plus I would like to see the guys beat UNC again. Ergo, ten.

newBlue23
02-13-2008, 06:36 PM
I think the Coach K just can't win anymore, the ncaa has just gotton to competitive. I think the best person to fill his spot would be Kelvin Sampson because he seems like just a genuine good guy that can be trusted.

OldPhiKap
02-13-2008, 10:24 PM
Anyone who tries so hard to win on his own birthday is clearly an egomaniac.

camion
02-13-2008, 10:56 PM
I hear Bobby Knight is available. He could teach K a thing or two about winning.

Wait. He already did. Never mind.

snowdenscold
02-13-2008, 11:37 PM
Wow, is the sarcasm in this thread really that undetectable?

Acymetric
02-14-2008, 01:06 AM
Wow, is the sarcasm in this thread really that undetectable?

Let me answer your question with a link.

Important! Hold your mouse over the comic for a while to see the alt text (in firefox right click and click properties, read the title line at the bottom).

http://xkcd.com/301/

If you don't understand what alt text is, just add this to the end of the comic:

"Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking. (Hint: this is impossible"

I felt this was relevant. Also I think people from DBR might like that site, its got a lot of jokes that are funnier if you understand calculus or programming.