PDA

View Full Version : UNC Injury Reports

Got_Duke
02-05-2008, 05:03 PM
How about Dougy G's chat today on ESPN at 4pm? I thought it was interesting he places the sole responsibility of UNC success on Lawson's shoulders. Then again, he's the semi-glue that keeps UNC together, although they seem to not play AWESOME together as a team even with him.

What do you guys think?

No Lawson, no chance?

OZZIE4DUKE
02-05-2008, 05:07 PM
How about Dougy G's chat today on ESPN at 4pm? I thought it was interesting he places the sole responsibility of UNC success on Lawson's shoulders. Then again, he's the semi-glue that keeps UNC together, although they seem to not play AWESOME together as a team even with him.

What do you guys think?

No Lawson, no chance?

Don't get your shorts in a dither. He'll play. Just like Ed Cota did. And Ivory Latta too.

freedevil
02-05-2008, 05:08 PM
He's playing. And if he doesn't, it's a rivalry game where anything can happen. Anything. Maybe even a call for traveling on Hansbrough.

mr. synellinden
02-05-2008, 05:09 PM

What do you guys think?

No Lawson, no chance?

It's Duke vs. UNC. Throw the records and the names on the back of the jerseys out the window. No matter who plays, you always have a chance. That's why they play the games. Just ask the Patriots.

phillyheel
02-05-2008, 05:12 PM
I thought it was interesting he places the sole responsibility of UNC success on Lawson's shoulders.

That is because Frasor is out for the season. Had he not gotten injured it wouldn't be as bad as it is.

Wander
02-05-2008, 05:12 PM
Maybe even a call for traveling on Hansbrough.

Now you're just getting out of control.

365Duke
02-05-2008, 05:19 PM

Come on now, thats just silly:D

millerecu
02-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Equals no chance is all of my Carowina "friends" excuse too. An aquaintance and I have a friendly wager (non monetary of course) every year on the Duke vs. Carowina series. He has decided to not continue the friendly wager on this game due to the "injury" to Lawson. I tried to tell him thats what their problem was they focus too much on one person in lieu of the team. Oh well a win is a win in my book no matter who is on the floor. GTHC!!!

Ima Facultiwyfe
02-05-2008, 05:55 PM
They've done this for years.....moan and groan about somebody being practically in traction, then we all witness the miracle cure. The practice dates back, as far as I know, to Walter Davis and his throwing aside his braces, crutches, bandages, etc etc and entering the arena to the deafening roar of the faithful against Marquette when Dean had sworn to the press that WD was down for the count.

While I surely hope Lawson recovers completely, it's still just a head game....and one you never see K employ.

Love, Ima

hc5duke
02-05-2008, 06:08 PM
They've done this for years.....moan and groan about somebody being practically in traction, then we all witness the miracle cure. The practice dates back, as far as I know, to Walter Davis and his throwing aside his braces, crutches, bandages, etc etc and entering the arena to the deafening roar of the faithful against Marquette when Dean had sworn to the press that WD was down for the count.

While I surely hope Lawson recovers completely, it's still just a head game....and one you never see K employ.

Love, Ima

Ooh, can we expect Lawson to enter the game in a dramatic entrance at half time with fireworks? Maybe queue the PA system with Final Countdown, have him walk in from the student section. The only thing missing would be sparklers but it seems PPB already got that covered (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6611).

billybreen
02-05-2008, 06:11 PM
The only thing missing would be sparklers but it seems PPB already got that covered (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6611).

Oh dear god no.

Duvall
02-05-2008, 06:14 PM
The only thing missing would be sparklers but it seems PPB already got that covered (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6611).

That would have to warrant at least one technical foul.

vango
02-05-2008, 06:14 PM

Now that's just crazy talk.... :rolleyes:

Uncle Drew
02-05-2008, 06:22 PM
Lawson will play. UNC has taught their players fo years to have excuses in hand should they lose. But just like Jordan supposably had the flu (like anyone is going to follow the guy into the bathroom to actually verify) in the playoffs one year and had a huge game. If a UNC player plays and plays badly they have the injury, illness, psycological disorder, possession to blame. And if they end up have a great game it makes the player and system look all that much better. I fully expect them to have televangelist Benny Hinn in the parking lot of the Dean Dome to lay hands on Lawson and miraculously heal him minutes before game time. My only wish is that we could substitute Benny Hinn for Benny Hill (alas he died in 1992) so Lawson would spend half the game chasing and being chased by a female cop, a girl in a French maid costume, two girls in bikinis and two old men. :cool:

BD80
02-05-2008, 06:57 PM
Ol' Roy was on PTI and said that Lawson was on crutches this afternoon, but also said ol' Ty was like Dennis the Menace, so he could be pulling the wool over ol' Roys eyes. Even money Lawson plays and looks like he is full strength, unless we are running away with it - then the limp will flare-up.

Roy said "daggum" 2 or 3 times. He did say "frickin" - which gave a glmpse into his real persona.

I can see travelling called on Hans ... imagine he absolutely steamrolls Paulus or Henderson who had clearly established position

heath_harshman4
02-05-2008, 07:00 PM
But guys...I really don't think Lawson is going to play...there I said it... I had the same injury a couple years back , I play baseball, and I couldn't even walk right. Much less try and play a few minutes of basketball...

With that said, he will probably come out and put up 20 and 10....

RockyMtDevil
02-05-2008, 07:02 PM
No Pocius, No Zoubs, No chance....

Oh, we don't make excuses, we just go play with who we have. And we don't fake injuries so we don't have to shoot our free throws. Still one of the biggest shams in the history of the rivalry...

Got_Duke
02-05-2008, 07:10 PM
hahaha

love all the replies

i'm glad i could spark an entertaining discussion

Ole Roy has never had my respect

Let's remember what he said everyone.... Tyler is a "victim"... pff

heath_harshman4
02-05-2008, 07:19 PM
ESPN article on Lawson and DUKE v. UNC game...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3232805

jjasper0729
02-05-2008, 07:39 PM
I want to see him on the bench in street clothes and his name NOT in the official book. With the second part, he can't come in in the second half. THEN I'll believe he's out for sure.

dukegirlinsc
02-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Ooh, can we expect Lawson to enter the game in a dramatic entrance at half time with fireworks? Maybe queue the PA system with Final Countdown, have him walk in from the student section. The only thing missing would be sparklers but it seems PPB already got that covered (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6611).

hahahahahaha

dukegirlinsc
02-05-2008, 07:54 PM
no chance without lawson?
i don't think i'd go quite that far. if, in fact, he actually doesn't play (which i think he will...) i think the holes will be at a disadvantage, of course. but i wouldn't say they don't stand a chance.

ACCBBallFan
02-05-2008, 08:04 PM
I always want to see the two teams at their best and just enjoy the quality of the play regardless of who wins.

Not making excuses for UNC, just facts. It's really tough to simulate a game in practice without Ty and Bobby to guard QT, since he has to get used to playing along side Wayne and Marcus/Danny, plus work on his entry passes to Tyler.

Kind of the same problem Duke had last year with Paulus having no bona fide PG to practice against and still team with Scheyer.

It won't be as bad in the game itself as QT is experienced, sometimes hot sometimes cold, but knows the system as well as anybody, and seems to play his best vs. Duke.

Worst possible time to lose Lawson with the two best defensive pressure teams Duke and Clemson next two games (both streaks may be in jeopardy if Ty cannot play by Saturday against Clemson at home). The good news is that both are home games.

QT will do fine handling the team, but one thing that may hurt is if he does not take and hit outside shots, it helps Duke double and triple Tyler whereas they could not have played off of Lawson.

Missing Bobby was bad enough but missing top two floor generals makes it a tough hill to climb. Expecting a very close road game, that might not have been as close if Ty were not injured.

If Deon plays like he did vs. FSU, that would help the UNC cause by murdering Duke on the UNC Offensive glass, but conversely Singler/King will be a tough match up for Deon or Tyler on other end.

So, it's up to QT and Deon/Alex to step up with Ty out and Tyler, Wayne, and Danny being the 3 rather than 4 primary threats.

Tyler could guard either one of Lance/McClure in his sleep and still be able to help out on dribble penetration by Henderson, Nelson, or Singler, and no one on Duke can guard Hansbrough effectively.

Strangely, Duke getting into foul trouble may actually help them if it's Lance and McClure who K favors, but they never score versus spot duty from Zoubek and King whose points per minute played are quite high.

Having Lance or McClure in the game negates the Singler mismatch advantage, whereas Zoubek due to sheer size despite his high turnovers, or King due to his unlimited range makes Singler an even tougher match up for Deon/Danny.

I don't think Roy or K would risk Tyler/Singler guarding one another until end of game since Deon/Alex and Lance/McClure are more expendable.

I think Wayne/Henderson pair off, probably Ginyard on Nelson but if Ty does not play Nelson would probably be assigned to Green, leaving QT/Paulus paired off and Scheyer guarding Wayne/Danny when he subs in.

If nothing else, Zoubek offers 5 more fouls which Duke will probably need as Tyler as he did in FSU game single handedly fouls out the opposition’s front line.

So Nelson instead of wearing out trying to guard Lawson with backup from Nolan Smith can instead try to stop Green, with QT holding his own but not exploiting as Ty would.

BD80
02-05-2008, 08:16 PM
I want to see him on the bench in street clothes and his name NOT in the official book. With the second part, he can't come in in the second half. THEN I'll believe he's out for sure.

Even if Ol' Roy is certain that Ty can't play, he will dress him just as a ploy, to try to get in Duke's heads. I think it would backfire, as the boys in baby puke blue will be hoping Ty gets off the bench to save them.

Listening to Roy describe the crutches scene, I am convinced we will see Ty play. He and Ty are just having some fun with the big game (their take) and sandbagging for the dramatic effect (my take).

wilson
02-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Lawson will play. UNC has taught their players fo years to have excuses in hand should they lose. But just like Jordan supposably had the flu (like anyone is going to follow the guy into the bathroom to actually verify) in the playoffs one year and had a huge game. If a UNC player plays and plays badly they have the injury, illness, psycological disorder, possession to blame. And if they end up have a great game it makes the player and system look all that much better. I fully expect them to have televangelist Benny Hinn in the parking lot of the Dean Dome to lay hands on Lawson and miraculously heal him minutes before game time. My only wish is that we could substitute Benny Hinn for Benny Hill (alas he died in 1992) so Lawson would spend half the game chasing and being chased by a female cop, a girl in a French maid costume, two girls in bikinis and two old men. :cool:

Holy crap...POTW.:D

jjasper0729
02-06-2008, 09:29 AM
Discovered in the N&O today:

Caulton Tudor (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/926571.html) says that it's only an "ankle sprain" not a "High ankel sprain".

hmmmm... maybe the sandbagging charge might ring true?

dukerev
02-06-2008, 10:04 AM
By around 11:30pm EST tonight, ALL TarHoles will be "victims." Victims of a beat-down that is (or in Michael Strahan's world, "a stomp down").

I'd like to say something about Hansgetsallthecalls. But that would be terping. And I don't terp.

dukerev
02-06-2008, 10:05 AM
Lawson will play. But it won't matter.

allenmurray
02-06-2008, 10:23 AM
it's a rivalry game where anything can happen. Anything. Maybe even a call for traveling on Hansbrough.

Have you been feeling okay lately? Headaches? Dizzy spells? A travelling call on Hansbrough? I am afraid that you either have run out of your anti-psychotic medication or you may have a serious head injury. Hansbrough doesn't travel.

sandinmyshoes
02-06-2008, 10:45 AM
He may play, but there is no way he is 100%. The question I have is how effective does he have to be before he's better than Thomas? Is a 60% Lawson better than Thomas? A 75% Lawson?

And for those who have had high ankle sprains (my lower ankles were so weak that I never got past that to have a "high" ankle sprain) how does it affect a player? Could Lawson play ten minutes at nearly 100%, but then it gets painful? Or is it just painful period?

DoubleDuke Dad
02-06-2008, 11:20 AM
He's playing. And if he doesn't, it's a rivalry game where anything can happen. Anything. Maybe even a call for traveling on Hansbrough.

I've heard that this is Tyler's favorite song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKjL9u6_wSk

CDu
02-06-2008, 11:59 AM
He may play, but there is no way he is 100%. The question I have is how effective does he have to be before he's better than Thomas? Is a 60% Lawson better than Thomas? A 75% Lawson?

And for those who have had high ankle sprains (my lower ankles were so weak that I never got past that to have a "high" ankle sprain) how does it affect a player? Could Lawson play ten minutes at nearly 100%, but then it gets painful? Or is it just painful period?

Apparently Lawson doesn't have a high ankle sprain. He just has a regular ol' ankle sprain. Having had numerous ankle sprains, I can tell you that it's not the type of thing that gets worse as the game goes along. If anything, I'd say it works the other way - it's stiff and painful at first, then as the adrenaline flows, you stop feeling the pain so much.

So ultimately, it's not a question of whether he can give them a few minutes. If it's strong enough to play at all, he'll be available for the whole game. Unless he re-injures it. The ankle is most certainly not going to be at full strength, even if it's functional enough to play. As such, the risk of re-injury (or sustaining a more serious injury) is heightened. That's the bigger worry for them if he happens to be good enough to try to play. Is it worth putting him out there for a regular season game and risking re-aggravating the injury or suffering a more substantial injury that could hurt their long-term goals.

Methodistman
02-06-2008, 12:03 PM
I've heard that this is Tyler's favorite song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKjL9u6_wSk

I thought it was this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z72Uv-qMci0

grossbus
02-06-2008, 12:05 PM
ole roy mentioned "crutches" three times yesterday on PTI. i see that as a guarantee that he will play.

3rd Dukie
02-06-2008, 12:18 PM

Hey, I know a guy in Vegas, maybe he could...

DukeDevil
02-06-2008, 12:26 PM
hahaha

love all the replies

i'm glad i could spark an entertaining discussion

Ole Roy has never had my respect

Let's remember what he said everyone.... Tyler is a "victim"... pff

I can no longer see the word spark without the PPB threat coming to mind.

*shudder*

DukeDevil
02-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Have you been feeling okay lately? Headaches? Dizzy spells? A travelling call on Hansbrough? I am afraid that you either have run out of your anti-psychotic medication or you may have a serious head injury. Hansbrough doesn't travel.

Of course Hansblahblah travels...

to away games.

Matches
02-06-2008, 12:59 PM
ole roy mentioned "crutches" three times yesterday on PTI. i see that as a guarantee that he will play.

Totally agreed. If he wasn't going to play, they would say "He is not going to play." Anything short of that = same old same old from the Ministry of Disinformation.

Lulu
02-06-2008, 02:25 PM
man, 'whina is ruining one of the two best games of the year before it's even been played. making me sick

Classof06
02-06-2008, 03:05 PM
Equals no chance is all of my Carowina "friends" excuse too. An aquaintance and I have a friendly wager (non monetary of course) every year on the Duke vs. Carowina series. He has decided to not continue the friendly wager on this game due to the "injury" to Lawson. I tried to tell him thats what their problem was they focus too much on one person in lieu of the team. Oh well a win is a win in my book no matter who is on the floor. GTHC!!!

I just said it in another thread and I'll say it again. The next time your friend tries to bring an excuse up, let him know Vegas has UNC as a 4-point favorite. Those guys tend to know what they're doing. If that isn't enough, you can use one of a multitude of reasons that he shouldn't chicken out:

- They regularly play 3 players 6-8 or taller, we play one

- Our PG played UNC twice last year with a broken foot

- The game is in Chapel Hill. If they're so mad about what Gerald did last year, it really shouldn't be a problem.

- They have arguably the best player in America

- BOTH ESPN analysts picked UNC to win the game regardless of Lawson's status.

Not do rip your friend because he's like a lot of UNC fans but it seems like this whole "excuse" argument is a way for UNC fans to indirectly say they respect Duke this year. They won't say it directly but they'll just claim they have an excuse. The bottom line is that Vegas is impeccable at spreads and they wouldn't have UNC as a 4-point favorite if they didn't think UNC was supposed to win. And I agree with them.

gw67
02-06-2008, 03:14 PM
Minor quibble - The roster on GoDuke states that both Singler and Thomas are 6-8. UNC has three and they are all inside players whereas Singler is a tall wing playing inside by necessity.

gw67

Classof06
02-06-2008, 03:19 PM
Minor quibble - The roster on GoDuke states that both Singler and Thomas are 6-8. UNC has three and they are all inside players whereas Singler is a tall wing playing inside by necessity.

gw67

I agree, you can't classify Singler as an inside player but that fits right into my reasoning of why Carolina has an advantage.

And while Thomas is certainly listed as 6-8, I don't know if I believe that.

BD80
02-06-2008, 03:28 PM
man, 'whina is ruining one of the two best games of the year before it's even been played. making me sick

It's not ruined, this just adds to the fun. Lawson is trying to develop some cache, to develop a rep that his a tough kid that can play hurt and still lead a team to victory.

D Wade often pulled this stunt, lingering on the floor after each hard foul, only to struggle up to dramatize how tough he is. He would then play unaffected. He even has his own shoe line with a commercial with this theme of picking one's self up more times than one gets knocked down.

It hasn't worked so well for the heels. Hans tried the victim card last year, but he played poorly with the mask. Lawson runs the same risk. If he plays but plays poorly, then he is just another tarhole using an excuse for a poor performance. Also, think of the remifications of the following games. If he plays well, then he couldn't have been that hurt. If he hurts the ankle more - he risked the season for a single game and some glory.

As Joshua said: "Strange game, the only way to win is not to play"

I hope he plays and rolls his ankle again tying to keep up with a Nolan crossover.

sandinmyshoes
02-06-2008, 03:32 PM
TDDism is breaking out all over this thread. We're starting to sound like ICers. But, then again, it's rivalry week!

vango
02-06-2008, 03:45 PM
But guys...I really don't think Lawson is going to play...there I said it... I had the same injury a couple years back , I play baseball, and I couldn't even walk right. Much less try and play a few minutes of basketball...

With that said, he will probably come out and put up 20 and 10....

Have to agree if it is what it is reported to be - had one in my football days and didn't take a shot but played as best I could - I ran flat footed on my right and on my tippy-toe on the left bad ankle. I did more harm than good out there b/c at least my backup had two good wheels to my one.

That said - the Bill Bellicheat practice of injury reporting is a very real consideration here....

BD80
02-06-2008, 03:45 PM
The bottom line is that Vegas is impeccable at spreads and they wouldn't have UNC as a 4-point favorite if they didn't think UNC was supposed to win. And I agree with them.

Ummmm .. Huh?

Vegas sets a line to try to even the money bet on each team, so that it will just get its vig (the 10% on winning payouts) and not lose no matter who wins. Vegas does NOT want to bet on games. The ESPN "analysts" kept the line at 4 by picking UNC which convinced bettors to stay with Carolina at home (home court can mean up to 6 points in college bball)

BigTedder
02-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Lawson will play. But it won't matter.

preach

dbd4ever
02-11-2008, 08:08 PM
Just read an article on espn.com that stated Marcus Ginyard suffered a sprained ankle last night against Clemson. He nor Lawson is expected to play against Virginia and Lawson is still day to day with no expected return date. What would Roy do if they lost to Virginia, the last place team in the conference??? OH MY!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3240984

Ben63
02-11-2008, 08:12 PM
Just read an article on espn.com that stated Marcus Ginyard suffered a sprained ankle last night against Clemson. He nor Lawson is expected to play against Virginia and Lawson is still day to day with no expected return date. What would Roy do if they lost to Virginia, the last place team in the conference??? OH MY!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3240984

I hate to see injured players but... UNC losing would put Duke in complete control. GO UVA!!!!

gofurman
02-11-2008, 08:17 PM
I hate to see injured players but... UNC losing would put Duke in complete control. GO UVA!!!!

Why do they have to get UVA of all teams ? Anyone else I would give a chance...

Uncle Drew
02-11-2008, 08:21 PM
I'm not saying I'm happy a UNC player got hurt. But after the last few years with them having little or no hurt / sick players (at least it seems that way) maybe bad luck is hitting them all at once. It does figure this would happen when they are about to play the last placed ACC team instead of second or third.

DoubleDuke Dad
02-11-2008, 08:23 PM
"I don't know that there is a timetable," Williams said Monday. "I think we've just got to wait until he starts feeling better with it. The kid's not been hurt very often and kids that haven't been hurt think that sometimes things have to be perfect before they come back. That could be part of Tywon's deal. But at the same time it still hurts. We're just going to have to wait until it stops hurting."

Way to go Roy Williams. That's the way to support your players, by accusing them of malingering.

dbd4ever
02-11-2008, 08:31 PM
"I don't know that there is a timetable," Williams said Monday. "I think we've just got to wait until he starts feeling better with it. The kid's not been hurt very often and kids that haven't been hurt think that sometimes things have to be perfect before they come back. That could be part of Tywon's deal. But at the same time it still hurts. We're just going to have to wait until it stops hurting."

Way to go Roy Williams. That's the way to support your players, by accusing them of malingering.

I'm glad you mentioned that because I was wondering if it was just the way I read that at first but it does sound like Roy is saying that Lawson in a way is choosing not to play when he probably could. This comment kind of falls along the same lines as the Kevin Love comment from last night's game at Washington.

Bob Green
02-11-2008, 08:33 PM
I gain zero pleasure from Carolina having injured players. Here's to Lawson and Ginyard recovering to full strength as soon as possible.

godukecom
02-11-2008, 08:35 PM
Here's what will happen tomorrow:

UVA leads uva 1-0 on sean singletary's free throw on the opening play of the game. Hansblah will go nuts and score 30 in a row to make it 30-1

Singletary responds by hitting 10 straight 3's and makes it 31-30

UVA has the ball with 10 seconds left leading by 1. Singletary, in a moment of excitement, shoots, it bounces high off the rim (he puts waaayyy too much mustard on it) and hansblah picks him up, and throws singletary. The refs of cours call a foul on Singletary, but it doesn't matter because tyler actually threw singletary at the ball, causing it to bounce into the opposite goal, making unc win 33-31.

that about summs up how I feel after every unc win.

while I wish it could happen, there is no way uva wins tomorrow night

gw67
02-11-2008, 09:02 PM
I agree with Bob Green. I don't want to see any players hurt so badly that they can't play. With regard to Lawson's injury, it takes a long time to recover from an ankle sprain. Hayes missed three games, played 10 minutes against UNC and played against Duke although he couldn't get any lift on his shots and had a hard time moving side to side. It wasn't until his sixth game following the injury that he was back to normal and based on comments from his parents he wanted to get back much sooner. I'm sure that Lawson wants to play.

gw67

Devil07
02-11-2008, 09:35 PM
I never want to see another player injured. I know how frustrating I find it when fans of other teams seemingly enjoy our misfortune. With that said, I think it might be in good taste to get rid of the excessive exclamation marks in this title. Ginyard's injury is not really something I think we should be celebrating.

freedevil
02-11-2008, 10:02 PM
I wish Marcus a quick recovery.

As for Tar Heel fans who make fun of "alleged" injuries players like Paulus and Shavlik have endured, perhaps they will have a little more sympathy after the injury bug now that it has hit their squad... Who am I kidding though.

yancem
02-11-2008, 10:14 PM

Man, I can't believe that Roy threw Lawson under the bus like that. That comes off really bad. You think he's trying to land a high school football coaching position in Texas?

sagegrouse
02-11-2008, 10:23 PM

I have always thought that Roy Williams' pressers often sound like a session with his psychiatrist. Really touchy-feely.... and unprofessional. The worst example was when he threw Rashad McCants under the bus a few years ago, with McCants standing right next to him. (Not that Rashad didn't deserve whatever happened to him.) I can't see K (or Dean, for that matter) ever saying anything like the above quote.

sagegrouse

heath_harshman4
02-11-2008, 10:30 PM

My sentiments to the TEE.

Also, UNC doesn't play a team with an above .500 record in ACC play the rest of the way until they waltz (or Jump, see: Danny Green) into Cameron. Likely, they will go unbeaten until then, unless a team like a UVA or VT step up with Lawson and Ginyard out.

GO CAVS

GO DUKE

Wander
02-11-2008, 11:36 PM
I can't see K (or Dean, for that matter) ever saying anything like the above quote.

Eh, I remember K taking a pretty bad shot at Melchioni and Dockery two years ago. It was something like "We can't go undefeated! We're starting Sean Dockery and Lee Melchioni!"

KandG
02-11-2008, 11:45 PM
Eh, I remember K taking a pretty bad shot at Melchioni and Dockery two years ago. It was something like "We can't go undefeated! We're starting Sean Dockery and Lee Melchioni!"

Uh, that distinctly came across to me as sarcasm (because the press themselves underrated these players) and the usual motivational psychology employed by a coach. Dean was extremely good at this. Very different from openly questioning the motivation and toughness of specific players through the media.

My impression (though I'm happy to be proven wrong if someone has specific quotes) is that K is certainly brutally tough on guys who he feels warrants the tough love, but he tends to handle things privately (I'm recalling blistering sessions with Redick and Boozer that were recounted in articles).

Uncle Drew
02-15-2008, 09:19 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news;_ylt=A0WTeSOaR7ZH73QBqQDevbYF?slug=ap-t25-ncarolina-injuries&prov=ap&type=lgns

Seems UNC is fighting the injury bug more this year than any recent year. I'm no VT fan by any means but for one game, Go Hokies!

dukelifer
02-15-2008, 09:31 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news;_ylt=A0WTeSOaR7ZH73QBqQDevbYF?slug=ap-t25-ncarolina-injuries&prov=ap&type=lgns

Seems UNC is fighting the injury bug more this year than any recent year. I'm no VT fan by any means but for one game, Go Hokies!

This UNC team has found a way all year to win. Sometimes a good team responds more when they are under adversity.

mgtr
02-15-2008, 10:15 PM
I would rather have Ridiculous Community College win than Virginia Tech (even though I hold a degree from VT!). I would bet on UNC every time.

MarkD83
02-15-2008, 10:30 PM
Lets see who is healthy for UNC:

Backcourt: Ellington, Thomas, Ginyard, Graves
Frontcourt: Hansbrough, Stephenson

and a cast of a thousand walk-ons.

Maybe Hansbrough can play some point guard.

norduck
02-15-2008, 10:40 PM
Will the refs adjust accordingly?

YmoBeThere
02-15-2008, 11:33 PM
I still haven't gotten over:

"Down goes Frasor! Down goes Frasor!"

Uncle Drew
02-16-2008, 03:42 AM
Roy Williams recently said of Lawson that due to the fact he has been injured very little in his high school and college career he may not be as apt to pronounce himself ready to play. In other words when you get hurt there is a point where it's going to hurt but you may need to play because waiting until it stops hurting completely may be in August.
I don't think Roy was calling Lawson soft, and basketball isn't like the NFL where you're supposed to play with a broken arm, three ribs and turf toe. But I've had high and low ankle sprains and the high ones don't hurt or swell up nearly as much as a low one. And anyone who has ever had a bad sprain knows it takes a LONG time to feel normal and pain free. As a Duke fan it's fine with me if he sits out the rest of the season, but IMO the longer he sits the rustier he gets.
As long as UNC keeps winning (UVA was close and their only loss yet without Lawson was to the Blue Devils) he may take his time getting back. Of course that could benefit UNC and QT should he be needed at PG later in the season. But the more they lose (and I wish they'd lose every game) the lower their seed will be come NCAA and even ACC tournament time. Teams facing UNC with or without Lawson are crazy if they don't pressure whomever the pointguard is. (QT due to experience issues, Lawson to test his the health and strength of that ankle.)

FYI: Just so everyone knows I had to reinstall Windows on my PC a week or two ago and the spelling check program for DBR won't install on my PC now. Grammer errors can be blamed on me sleeping through English class in high school.

Tappan Zee Devil
02-16-2008, 08:25 AM
FYI: Just so everyone knows I had to reinstall Windows on my PC a week or two ago and the spelling check program for DBR won't install on my PC now. Grammer errors can be blamed on me sleeping through English class in high school.

Get a Mac ;)

JasonEvans
02-16-2008, 08:43 AM
But the more they lose (and I wish they'd lose every game) the lower their seed will be come NCAA and even ACC tournament time. Teams facing UNC with or without Lawson are crazy if they don't pressure whomever the pointguard is. (QT due to experience issues, Lawson to test his the health and strength of that ankle.)

First of all, any Carolina loss during this injury streak will be discounted a little bit by the NCAA committee because of the injuries. If Lawson is back and playing well at the end of the season then these losses (if they suffer any more) may not affect their seeding very much.

As for Carolina's ACC seeding, there are certainly some concerns there. The Heels have a 2 game cushion on Clemson and Maryland. They own the tiebreaker over Clemson in a big way (thanks for gaaacking away 2 OT games you should have won, Tigers!). However, thanks to the Jan 19th game that turned their season around, Maryland owns the tiebreaker over Carolina.

I am actually gonna start another thread to talk about how the ACC is shaping up and how this all affects Carolina and Maryland... suffice it to say that if Carolina loses one more game, I think there is an excellent chance Maryland will pass them for the #2 seed in the ACC.

--Jason "more on that in a moment..." Evans

Uncle Drew
02-16-2008, 10:39 AM
First of all, any Carolina loss during this injury streak will be discounted a little bit by the NCAA committee because of the injuries. If Lawson is back and playing well at the end of the season then these losses (if they suffer any more) may not affect their seeding very much.

As for Carolina's ACC seeding, there are certainly some concerns there. The Heels have a 2 game cushion on Clemson and Maryland. They own the tiebreaker over Clemson in a big way (thanks for gaaacking away 2 OT games you should have won, Tigers!). However, thanks to the Jan 19th game that turned their season around, Maryland owns the tiebreaker over Carolina.

I am actually gonna start another thread to talk about how the ACC is shaping up and how this all affects Carolina and Maryland... suffice it to say that if Carolina loses one more game, I think there is an excellent chance Maryland will pass them for the #2 seed in the ACC.

--Jason "more on that in a moment..." Evans

I read your other two posts Jason in addition to this. I seem to agree with you about 75% of the time and most all of what you've said in this mornings posts I agree with. Yes UNC is banged up, and I'm not saying if they lose maybe one more game perhaps two durring the regular season that the selection committee will give them a lower seed in the NCAA's. However we all remember Cincinatti losing Kenyon Martin and how that dropped the bearcats from a certain number one seed to a two seed that year. Some would say the committee dropped them because KM's loss came in their conference tourney and they knew he was out for the NCAA's. I'm not suggesting Lawson (or any of their other players besides Frazier) won't be back in time for ACC and NCAA play. But if other teams in say the top 10 or 15 win and UNC loses a few more regardless of injury, it would have to drop them down a seed or two.

The committee supposably selects on how teams finish. If the heels lose several out of the second half of the ACC season it can't be considered a strong finish. UCLA started the season out with several injured players, but their losses still count as losses. And for that matter Duke's loss to Pitt at the time was a "quality" loss and in many ways still is. But certainly not as "quality" as before the injury bug bit them. My hope is UNC drops a few more games (my dream would be ALL of them) in the regular season, especially the last game of the season and doesn't make it to the championship game of the ACC tournament. If that happens I can see them being a #3 or even #4 seed. I agree with you 1000% it's a beautiful thing to even ponder when some were thinking they might run through the ACC regular season undefeated. And the lower your seed of course means you don't get to play a 15 or 16 seed making the road that much tougher.

As for your accessment of the other ACC schools and how many bids they get I agree with you. I think it will be a REAL stretch to get 5 teams in but as the next few weeks pass the picture will become more an more clear. Hopefully it will leave Duke in the state of North Carolina until they head off to the Final Four and UNC some place out west where UNC fans have to stay up until 3AM just to watch their team play. Go Weber State!

Duvall
02-16-2008, 02:19 PM
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/5/52/180px-Carnac.jpg

"The Lord of the Rings, the Star Wars trilogy and a UNC Injury Report."

<rip>

"Name three works of fantasy."

Karl Beem
02-16-2008, 02:31 PM
Not having your opponent show up trumps any number of injuries.

sandinmyshoes
02-16-2008, 02:57 PM
VT was missing open jumpers, but this is the best UNC has looked in awhile at limiting open jumpers. Then, about two minutes into the second half, VT just completely gave up. Not taking anything, well not too much, from UNC though, they played a surprisingly good game on both ends of the floor.

Tom B.
02-16-2008, 03:10 PM
Is it wrong that I'm actually getting a measure of enjoyment out of a UNC win? There's something satisfying about seeing Greenberg, Washington & Co. get throttled, no matter who's doing it. The fact that they had a golden opportunity to get a marquee win over a highly-ranked (but shorthanded and banged up) team, and they still got pounded, somehow makes it even sweeter. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of guys. :D

That sound you hear is Va. Tech's NCAA Tournament hopes being flushed down the toilet.

tbyers11
02-16-2008, 03:13 PM
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/5/52/180px-Carnac.jpg

"The Lord of the Rings, the Star Wars trilogy and a UNC Injury Report."

<rip>

"Name three works of fantasy."

I agree with this sentiment completely. Besides Lawson's ankle and maybe Thompson's knee (he was hobbling quite a bit at UVa), the rest of the UNC injury report is stuff that people play through all of the time. A case of the flu (Green), back spasms (Thomas), an ankle sprain that he played on against UVa (Ginyard) and complications from an ingrown toenail (Hansbrough).

While these UNC players are obviously not at 100&#37;, it's the middle of February and all teams have these types of injuries. They played well against VT today and none of these players looked seriously compromised to me.

UNC's reporting of injuries sounds a lot like Belicheck and the Patriots listing Tom Brady as probable with a shoulder injury in every single injury report this year.

dukelifer
02-16-2008, 03:16 PM
VT was missing open jumpers, but this is the best UNC has looked in awhile at limiting open jumpers. Then, about two minutes into the second half, VT just completely gave up. Not taking anything, well not too much, from UNC though, they played a surprisingly good game on both ends of the floor.

Just imagine how well they would have played if Green, Ginyard and Thompson and of course Lawson had been 100%. They might have won by 100! :) I am not so sure about the ACC this year- I watched Syracuse beat Georgetown today and the Big East teams look much more ready for a big run in March. Except for a few teams - the ACC is limping into the post season. Not a lot of fight in the middle of the pack.

sandinmyshoes
02-16-2008, 03:52 PM
Just imagine how well they would have played if Green, Ginyard and Thompson and of course Lawson had been 100%. They might have won by 100! :) I am not so sure about the ACC this year- I watched Syracuse beat Georgetown today and the Big East teams look much more ready for a big run in March. Except for a few teams - the ACC is limping into the post season. Not a lot of fight in the middle of the pack.

:o

Somewhere in the mid point of the second half I found myself muttering as another VT three pointer bounced long and end up as a UNC fast break basket, "If you Hokies would just hit the open jumpers." Then I could only shrug and add, "You'd probably only lose by twenty or so."

Bluedog
02-16-2008, 04:46 PM
Despite the abundance of injuries for UNC, they had FIFTEEN people play today vs. Va Tech. Nine players played at least 9 minutes. How many walk-ons do they have?!? There's no way we have that many on our roster.

Indoor66
02-16-2008, 05:05 PM
Despite the abundance of injuries for UNC, they had FIFTEEN people play today vs. Va Tech. Nine players played at least 9 minutes. How many walk-ons do they have?!? There's no way we have that many on our roster.

Nor do we need that many on our roster....:)

devildeac
02-16-2008, 05:43 PM
Now you're just getting out of control.

how about several flopping. err, blocking calls, too. or maybe a few charges for running over people with his lowered shoulder... nahh...

DukePA
02-16-2008, 05:51 PM

When all those UNC kids were in at the end of the game, I looked at the carolina bench and wondered, "where in the hell do they all sit while the starters or 2nd string are in?" Seriously, there isn't enough room over there that I can see. Where do they come from? Do they have little tarheel spores that hanstravel sweats on to bring to life?