PDA

View Full Version : David Glenn's Mid-Season All-ACC

Methodistman
02-11-2008, 01:57 PM
http://www.wral.com/sports/blogpost/2416356/
David Glenn has up his mid-season all-ACC awards, and I'm actually a bit surprised. My big surprise is he has JJ Hickson as the Rookie of the Year, although Singler does at least get a mention. He's got Nelson first team all-ACC, Paulus second team, and Singler third team.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
02-11-2008, 02:15 PM
Anybody here willing to trade Kyle for Hickson? Anyone? Anyone?

Otherwise a pretty good list. If Duke can win the ACC with no more than 1-2 losses I think a second Devil has to find a place on the final first team. It's also telling to see certain names NOT on the list. For example, UNC has 2 guys on the 1st team and nobody on any other teams. That about sums it up for UNC's season thus far.

Great to see K get some recognition for the outstanding job he's done.

Ignatius07
02-11-2008, 02:18 PM
I'm not necessarily surprised Glenn picked Hickson, though I think Singler will end up winning it. Hickson is quite a player, and will probably be a lottery pick whenever he comes out (read: April).

Singler is, without a doubt, more valuable to his team than Hickson is, and is obviously more well-rounded. Singler is one of the main reasons that Duke is so difficult to guard, and - based on the last few games - looks to be improving rapidly.

CDu
02-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Hickson is the right choice for ACC Rookie of the Year. He shouldn't be penalized simply because his team is not as good. Singler is a close second, but he's second. I'd love to have either player on my team. I'm just happy we have one of them. I'd love to have both.

OldPhiKap
02-11-2008, 03:44 PM
Hickson is the right choice for ACC Rookie of the Year. He shouldn't be penalized simply because his team is not as good. Singler is a close second, but he's second. I'd love to have either player on my team. I'm just happy we have one of them. I'd love to have both.

I kind of think the opposite -- Singler shouldn't be penalized because he is on a good team with such even distibution. But Hickson will probably win it, and rookie of the year in the NBA next year.

yancem
02-11-2008, 03:53 PM
I kind of think the opposite -- Singler shouldn't be penalized because he is on a good team with such even distibution. But Hickson will probably win it, and rookie of the year in the NBA next year.

I agree with your first statement. How many more points would Singler score on a lesser team? I disagree with your second statement though. Hickson is good and possibly even great but he doesn't compare to Beasley. Kevin Love said in an interview earlier this year that this freshman class might not have a Kevin Durant or Greg Oden but it was deeper with talent. The ladder is certainly true but I'm not sure that Beasley doesn't belong in a the same category as Oden and Durant. He's a real stud.

dukeENG2003
02-11-2008, 03:54 PM
Beasley>Hickson

Devilsfan
02-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Glenn never ceases to amaze. He's apparently clueless. Kyle below JJ, he needs to get out and watch some basketball.

OldPhiKap
02-11-2008, 03:58 PM
I agree with your first statement. How many more points would Singler score on a lesser team? I disagree with your second statement though. Hickson is good and possibly even great but he doesn't compare to Beasley. Kevin Love said in an interview earlier this year that this freshman class might not have a Kevin Durant or Greg Oden but it was deeper with talent. The ladder is certainly true but I'm not sure that Beasley doesn't belong in a the same category as Oden and Durant. He's a real stud.

That may well be true about Beasley or one of the others. My main point was that Hickson is one and done. I did not give real thought as to who else is coming out.

SilkyJ
02-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Glenn never ceases to amaze. He's apparently clueless. Kyle below JJ, he needs to get out and watch some basketball.

I think that's very, very harsh. I'm not familiar with Dave Glenn's reputation as a whole, but its not like Hickson is a bad player and I certainly wouldn't call Glenn clueless in this case. Hickson is good. Very good. And so is Kyle. Hickson is putting up better #'s so the nod goes to him...seems reasonable, even if you/we think Kyle is a better overall player. I mean, Hickson is putting up more pts, more rebounds, and is shooting 60%! And Glenn does admit that its a close call...

Yes I agree that IF kyle was on a team where he needed to score more he probably would, but he is on this team where he plays his role beautifully. If that means he doesn't get ACC ROY (GASP!) then so be it.

What I think is more ridiculous is putting Paulus as a 2nd team and Kyle as a 3rd team. Greg has been a good leader for this team, but Kyle is playing better, and frankly, has been equally crucial, if not more crucial, to our success so far. Greg had two big games recently, but its not like Kyle was a slouch in those games and his overall play has been better than Greg's, frankly.

OldPhiKap
02-11-2008, 04:28 PM
What I think is more ridiculous is putting Paulus as a 2nd team and Kyle as a 3rd team. Greg has been a good leader for this team, but Kyle is playing better, and frankly, has been equally crucial, if not more crucial, to our success so far. Greg had two big games recently, but its not like Kyle was a slouch in those games and his overall play has been better than Greg's, frankly.

He's got Hickson on the third team, too, so I think that may be right with Kyle.

Greg has played very well this year on both ends of the floor, and is the starting pg on the only undefeated team in the conference. That's gotta count for something.

I'm glad he has DeMarcus on the first team - very befitting our rock.

gw67
02-11-2008, 04:34 PM
I suspect that his choices are consistent with what many sportswriters would pick at this time. Personally, I would pick Gist over Singletary for first team but both are seniors and each will get plenty of support. I consider Singler the second best player on the Devils and with continued improvement, he could wind up on the second five. The two that I would leave off are Paulus and Vassallo who are both playing well but not up to All ACC honors IMO. I would add Hammonds and Ellington in their stead. Lawson may not make first team if he doesn't get back soon.

I suspect that Singler will win rookie of the year if Duke wins the regular season but it is not a walkover. Hickson and Johnson of Wake are having outstanding freshmen years.

gw67

gofurman
02-11-2008, 04:58 PM
I suspect that his choices are consistent with what many sportswriters would pick at this time. Personally, I would pick Gist over Singletary for first team but both are seniors and each will get plenty of support. I consider Singler the second best player on the Devils and with continued improvement, he could wind up on the second five. The two that I would leave off are Paulus and Vassallo who are both playing well but not up to All ACC honors IMO. I would add Hammonds and Ellington in their stead. Lawson may not make first team if he doesn't get back soon.

I suspect that Singler will win rookie of the year if Duke wins the regular season but it is not a walkover. Hickson and Johnson of Wake are having outstanding freshmen years.

gw67

I too would have put Gist on the list somewhere ! He and Osby are a big part of why Maryland is third

CDu
02-11-2008, 05:26 PM

Maybe YOU need to watch some basketball. Or at least some non-Duke basketball. Hickson is REALLY good. He's so good that he's outplayed two teammates who were considered All-ACC candidates in the post. He'd look even better if he had legitimate point guard to get him the ball.

I could agree with someone thinking Singler beats out Hickson. That's an opinion that can be supported. I happen to think that Hickson has been better. But to say that Glenn is clueless because he picked Hickson over Singler shows more about your cluelessness or homerism than Glenn's cluelessness (in my opinion). Hickson is a very reasonable choice for the award.

SilkyJ
02-11-2008, 05:33 PM
Maybe YOU need to watch some basketball. Or at least some non-Duke basketball. Hickson is REALLY good. He's so good that he's outplayed two teammates who were considered All-ACC candidates in the post. He'd look even better if he had legitimate point guard to get him the ball.

I could agree with someone thinking Singler beats out Hickson. That's an opinion that can be supported. I happen to think that Hickson has been better. But to say that Glenn is clueless because he picked Hickson over Singler shows more about your cluelessness or homerism than Glenn's cluelessness (in my opinion). Hickson is a very reasonable choice for the award.

mos def agreed.

Madrasdukie
02-11-2008, 05:35 PM
http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/021108aab.html

DukieInBrasil
02-11-2008, 06:55 PM
Being by far and away the best team in the league doesnīt get Duke more than 3 players on the first 3 All-ACC teams??? Thatīs lame and seriously misunderestimates the talent and value of guys like Scheyer and Henderson.

kcduke75
02-11-2008, 07:33 PM

While I disagree with Glenn (team chemistry seems relevant to me), his point on the radio today is that State's offense goes through JJ and he is always double or triple teamed. He also said Kyle may have the highest upside of ANYONE in the ACC. And his job is to create interest and controversy.

Go Duke!

SilkyJ
02-11-2008, 08:58 PM
I too would have put Gist on the list somewhere ! He and Osby are a big part of why Maryland is third

agreed here too

Methodistman
02-11-2008, 10:21 PM
Being by far and away the best team in the league doesnīt get Duke more than 3 players on the first 3 All-ACC teams??? Thatīs lame and seriously misunderestimates the talent and value of guys like Scheyer and Henderson.

I've got to admit that that is sort of what I was thinking when I brought this all up in the first place - hate to feel short-changed, and not trying to tempt the basketball gods, but we haven't lost a game in the ACC yet, and we only get 3, and yet UNC has lost twice and gets 2 on the first team. Oh well, I'd frankly be satisfied with none on the all-ACC team as long as we keep winning as a team. It's not about individual awards, it's all about the team.

shadowfax336
02-12-2008, 12:15 AM
Gist is on the list...
2nd team...

and Hickson is quite good

I would put Ish Smith on over Vassallo, Wake has been better than expected and he's been a big part of it, while Vtech hasn't really merited 2 All ACC players...