PDA

View Full Version : Emily Waner??

dukemomLA
02-11-2008, 11:07 AM
Does anyone have inside knowledge (or even substantiated rumors) about Emily W. "taking a leave of absence" from the WBB team?

Mike Corey
02-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Emily Waner is a wonderful person and student-athlete, and an exceptional representative of the University.

That has been the case, and will remain the case even if she opts not to remain a member of the team.

4Luck
02-11-2008, 01:04 PM
Emily Waner is a wonderful person and student-athlete, and an exceptional representative of the University.

That has been the case, and will remain the case even if she opts not to remain a member of the team.

I agree 100%. She's an outstanding example of an individual that any school would be lucky to have in any capacity.

Note: Her medical future looks promising and I wish her all the best in pursuing that goal.

gadzooks
02-11-2008, 02:01 PM
By whom?That's what I'm curious about as well. I've seen vague allegations of unhappiness, but nothing more. I understand that we'll probably never get any official explanation, but can anyone illuminate whether it's Coach P, someone else, everyone...? It does seem that it's quite serious, as I can't imagine a player up and leaving the team in her senior year, especially one who has a sister on the team. I love this team, and it's worrisome that there seems to be this turmoil behind the scenes.

My best wishes to Emily and all the players.

hughgs
02-11-2008, 02:16 PM
Does anyone have inside knowledge (or even substantiated rumors) about Emily W. "taking a leave of absence" from the WBB team?

Are the MCATs approaching? That could play into it.

JG Nothing
02-11-2008, 02:30 PM
You should check out the women's basketball forum at the Devil's Den. People with connections are not going to reveal their sources publicly. You either trust the messengers based on their past performances or you do not.

By whom?

Bluedawg
02-11-2008, 03:04 PM

I completely agree with your comment Mike!!!

I've had the absolute pleasure of being able to talk with Emily from time to time, although I can't say I've gotten to know her. I have always found her charming, happy and a pure Joy to be around.

We will miss you!

watzone
02-11-2008, 09:08 PM
Well, I have to chime in and say that I too have like what Emily has done for Duke. She was oh-so charming when Coach P took the reigns. She was at the forefront, as was her sister during the media events at that time. Count me in as a true Waner fan.

yancem
02-11-2008, 10:23 PM
Have some of the posts from this thread been removed? Reading it sequentially doesn't make since. What did turtleboy say?

DukeDevilDeb
02-11-2008, 10:30 PM
Have some of the posts from this thread been removed? Reading it sequentially doesn't make since. What did turtleboy say?

But I'm not sure why!

yancem
02-11-2008, 10:38 PM
But I'm not sure why!

Moderators, a little help here! It is hard to fully support what is hidden from you. If someone posted something personal that doesn't belong in the public sector, then I agree with removing the posts. I think that the message boards shouldn't be used to air someone else's laundry but a note of explanation would be appreciated.

By the way, best of luck to Emily. I hope that everything works out for the best for her and her family and friends (or whoever else is involved).

Acymetric
02-11-2008, 10:41 PM
But I'm not sure why!

Censorship seems to be at a high the past day or two...

Wander
02-11-2008, 10:42 PM
The fact that the people who consistently have inside information have not explicitly defended Coach P on this thread says all you need to know.

yancem
02-11-2008, 10:57 PM
The fact that the people who consistently have inside information have not explicitly defended Coach P on this thread says all you need to know.

I don't suppose that you have any desire to share any of your inside information? I understand that you might not feel at liberty to elaborate but I have been trying to follow the womens team with little success. Some people have made statements about everything being ok with the program but don't give any real examples of positive signs. Others are ripping the program based on what seems to be pure speculation and uneducated opinions.

I no longer live in Durham and the women's game doesn't get near the coverage as the men so trying to figure out if what I'm seeing is simply a normal adjustment period or cause for real concern is impossible. To be honest, I am getting a very bad feeling about Coach P am starting to feel like if she sticks around all of the good that Coach G built is going to crumble. I'm not go to lie, I'm truly frustrated!

Verga3
02-11-2008, 10:59 PM

Amen.....Emily is one of the classiest student-athletes ever to wear a Duke uniform. My very selfish wish is for her return to help lead this team to the heights they can reach, but my real wish is that she follow her heart and gut. I know her family and friends are very proud of her and support her completely in whatever path she follows.

Here's a terrific read that will give you some insight on who Emily is. She is a true role model. Duke is truly fortunate.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1136544

godukecom
02-11-2008, 11:02 PM

..And that makes me very, very, scared for this team.
I am a season ticket holder who has gone to just about every game this year as well as in years past. I am a huge DWB supporter. And something is not right with this team.

I know, P is not G and never will be. But G's teams always looked like they wanted to be there, unlike most of P's games. P is winning against lesser teams on the leftovers of G's recruited talent, and P cannot coach her talent regardless of the opponent (this is usually only manifested when a good team is played). In 3-4 years when all of G's recruits are gone, i fear that DWB will have sunk into the mediocrity that G worked so hard to pull us out of.

I have no inside information. But i am very, very scared

DWB was so close to becoming the perennial national power that the men are. Hell, G had them there the last few years she was here. But G is gone and DWB is currently in freefall mode. The quitting of a senior who transfered to be with her sister is extremely disturbing. The lack of improvement (and a lot of worsening) among the players saddens me. Above all else, the inability of fans to show up at a "sell out" game against Tennessee (and UNC) says it all; fans have given up on P. There were close to 1000 empty seats at both games. The writing is on the wall, and I fear it is too late.

TDD women's hoops had a meltdown after the hiring of P. I thought they were wrong to be so quick to judge. And maybe I'm being too quick to judge as well. But there are serious problems, and denying that is useless at this point.

JBDuke
02-11-2008, 11:11 PM

But I'm not sure why!

Moderators, a little help here! It is hard to fully support what is hidden from you. If someone posted something personal that doesn't belong in the public sector, then I agree with removing the posts. I think that the message boards shouldn't be used to air someone else's laundry but a note of explanation would be appreciated.

By the way, best of luck to Emily. I hope that everything works out for the best for her and her family and friends (or whoever else is involved).

Censorship seems to be at a high the past day or two...

Rumor mongering is not allowed. See the posting standards. The deleted posts included unsubstantiated rumors about Emily's departure that can serve no purpose.

yancem
02-11-2008, 11:14 PM
Rumor mongering is not allowed. See the posting standards. The deleted posts included unsubstantiated rumors about Emily's departure that can serve no purpose.

Thank you for the clarification. I'm fine with these types of decisions, it just would be nice when posts are removed, a short note of explanation could be left to avoid confusion.

Thanks again for the explanation.

MulletMan
02-11-2008, 11:20 PM
FWIW, I have had some e-mail discourses with people who have more insider access than most of us can imagine, and they are not forcasting doom and gloom for DWB. So take a deep breath and relax.

I don't think that there is anyway that a change from one coach to another can be seamless. Especially when you've played for one coach for 2-3 seasons. Its a significant change in a significant relationship, and thus, there will likely be some rocky times. The fact is that Coach P is not some random person off the street. She beat Tennessee in the Final Four people!!! Why don't we give her, and the girls, a little time... I mean heck, we lost the player of the year and one of the best defensive players in school history, perhaps this year is not living up to some of the (unrealistic?) expectations, but the girls are a top 15 team, and playing their butts off. Why not just go out and cheer them on as much as you can instead of speculating about disasters that may or may not occur? :D

MulletMan
02-11-2008, 11:23 PM
Hell, G had them there the last few years she was here. But G is gone and DWB is currently in freefall mode.

Oh, and by the way... you are concerned about how the women's players look when on the court? Perhaps you should go back and look at some of the game tapes when G was coaching and see what SHE looked like when games were tight and tough. Perhaps Coach P will be a bit more, ummmm, up to the challenge when the games are on the line.

Wander
02-11-2008, 11:34 PM
I don't suppose that you have any desire to share any of your inside information?

Oh, I don't have any inside information, I just think it's easy to read between the lines here. I mean, look at what MulletMan just said:

"I don't think that there is anyway that a change from one coach to another can be seemless. Especially when you've played for one coach for 2-3 seasons. Its a significant change in a significant relationship, and thus, there will likely be some rocky times."

If that's not a nice BS politically correct way of saying there's some chemistry issues, then what is?

Mike Corey
02-11-2008, 11:41 PM
The current women's team has a tremendous amount of talent, with at least two--Chante Black and Abby Waner--that are of the same caliber of previous Duke All-Americans. In other words, the cupboard is not bare. Further, this wasn't the first time Duke lost a NPOY.

This was the first time it happened while transitioning into a new staff and strategy, however.

Of course, assimilating to a new coach is tough; assimilating to new players is tough, too.

Here's hoping the adjustments are swift and thorough, however, and that the women's program finds its lofty footing once again, and right soon.

In the meantime, I'll continue taking great pride in the high character and dedication of the women in the program, as I'm sure everyone here does.

Acymetric
02-11-2008, 11:44 PM

Fair enough, sorry. This was actually legitimate by the rules, but two rather noticeable deletions (one with a solid reason so far) in about a day seemed strange to me. Sorry if I sounded overly critical or hostile, merely looking for an explanation (and in this case it was actually pretty obvious). Thanks.

JDukie
02-11-2008, 11:45 PM
First of all, the topic is Emily Waner so let me address her first. She and her sister both are outstanding representatives not only of Duke University but women's basketball nationwide. They do it right in every aspect and we are very fortunate to have them on campus whether they are both on the team or not.
I am not surprised to see Emily "take a leave of absence" and I suspect, as I said in a post last week, that there will be much more of this once the season ends. These girls do not look happy at all!
As for comments above, AMEN to godukecom! You nailed it!
Coach G had great talent, she made the program what it is and by no means at all did she leave the cupboard bare! Had she stayed, we would easily be TOP 5 and national contenders. As it is, we are not and though some of you think we are going to light it up come March, you are dreaming. Being Top 15 in the women's poll is like being Top 50 in the men's poll. There are very few teams that are legitimate national contenders and we have been for the last several years but not this time. If you recall, we lost All Everything Monique Currie two years ago and a heartbreaking game in the National Championship that we should have won. No one at that game could have predicted that we would come back last year and go through the regular season undefeated or that Lindsay Harding would become NPOY. Coach G pulled that team together and though she was not perfect and yes, I too felt like she wilted in tight game situations at the end, she had them playing team basketball at a very swift pace facilitated by good defense so that most of our offense was layups. This team has never approached that level of defense or offense, before or after the unusual rash of injuries.
This is the ACC not the Big 10 folks. You run, press and win and are a legitimate title contender each year, ie Maryland and Carolina. We have no big center so we need to stop acting as if we do and push the ball. Yes, we are beating the average teams in the ACC and we squeaked by Rutgers because their style is to slow the game down which is how we play this year. Last year they took us out of our game and upset us in Greensboro.
I cannot bring myself to go to another game after seeing the UNC game last week. We are in freefall and it disturbs me greatly because we were among the elite and I just hate to see it all fall apart so quickly.
Yes, some of these words may get eaten but I will be the most surprised one of all if they are. I think this was a terrible hire and that we are not going to see her succeed. Probably does not matter to our AD since it is a women's program, but again, as I said last week , I won't comment on that situation because I cannot say anything positive.
I support Duke Athletics but almost withdrew my support this year after the way the whole G thing went down last year. She brought too much to DU to see her set free so easily.
A final word about the Waner girls.... I am pretty sure that we would not have the players that we have this season if they had not been on the phone with all the recuits as well as holding many team meetings during the dark days of G's departure and the uncertainty of the new hire without these two girls leadership. Emily, best to you, you will be missed in many ways and Abby, we love you to death and wish only the best for you.

Turtleboy
02-12-2008, 03:01 AM
Rumor mongering is not allowed. See the posting standards. The deleted posts included unsubstantiated rumors about Emily's departure that can serve no purpose.This is crap. My two word post contained no rumormongering whatsoever, and I deeply resent the implication. I don't now when I have seen such bush league moderation. You guys are afraid of your own shadows.

devil84
02-12-2008, 08:44 AM
This is crap. My two word post contained no rumormongering whatsoever, and I deeply resent the implication. I don't now when I have seen such bush league moderation. You guys are afraid of your own shadows.

When a post is deleted for rumormongering, we will delete posts that quote the rumor, too.

You included a quote of the rumor, and your two words essentially asked for substantiation. With the original post deleted for rumor-mongering, editing your post to remove the quoted rumor would leave your two words without a context. Best just to remove it.

Turtleboy was not rumor-mongering.

Bluedawg
02-12-2008, 08:57 AM
I've been a Waner Sister fan since day one. Here are two video's...enjoy

waner sisters (http://video.aol.com/video-detail/waner-sisters/476335724)

Duke's Dynamic Duo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW9VjIZmTjg&feature=related)

Bluedawg
02-12-2008, 09:04 AM
Oh, and by the way... you are concerned abotu how the women's players look when on the court? Perhaps you should go back and look at some of the game tapes when G was coaching and see what SHE looked like when games were tight and tough. Perhaps Coach P will be a bit more, ummmm, up to the challenge when the games are on the line.

In tight games I rarely agreed with Coach G's game plan. She tended to deviate too far away from what had been working. Coach P seems to stay the course much better.

Indoor66
02-12-2008, 10:01 AM
Apart from the warranted or unwarranted criticism of Coach P (and I think unwarranted), I don't understand the harping about Coach G leaving. She, out of her own mouth, stated that Duke met every one of her requests. She allowed Texas to pursue her. She saw Texas as her dream job. Duke countered and she chose Texas. Her own life situation had changed. She had split from her husband. She chose to make further changes in her life. I respect that and recognize that my love for Duke does not, necessarily, translate to the same feelings by others. Her dreams, apparently, were not Duke-centric as are many on this board.

Give it a rest. Coach P is our coach. She will do a good job and deserves respect and understanding during the transition. There is a learning curve for players about the coach and expectations and for the coach about player's skills and expectations. No change is seamless. I imagine the football players have questions in their mind about the coaching change. All of them came in under Roof and have no real idea about what a Cutcliffe is. I will not be shocked if some decide to bail out. Such is life in college athletics.

Let's give Coach P a chance.

bludev03
02-12-2008, 11:50 AM
The comparison between the Duke fb coaching change and women's bball coaching change is completely in left field. The Duke fb team is comparable to a D1AA program and they haven't even been competitive. They have nowhere to go but up. Meanwhile, the Duke women's bball team has won 30+ games for 7 consecutive years. In the last 10 yrs, Gail won 301 games and had a winning clip of .867. That's a HUGE difference....

Bluedawg
02-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Apart from the warranted or unwarranted criticism of Coach P (and I think unwarranted), I don't understand the harping about Coach G leaving. She, out of her own mouth, stated that Duke met every one of her requests. She allowed Texas to pursue her. She saw Texas as her dream job. Duke countered and she chose Texas. Her own life situation had changed. She had split from her husband. She chose to make further changes in her life. I respect that and recognize that my love for Duke does not, necessarily, translate to the same feelings by others. Her dreams, apparently, were not Duke-centric as are many on this board.

Give it a rest. Coach P is our coach. She will do a good job and deserves respect and understanding during the transition. There is a learning curve for players about the coach and expectations and for the coach about player's skills and expectations. No change is seamless. I imagine the football players have questions in their mind about the coaching change. All of them came in under Roof and have no real idea about what a Cutcliffe is. I will not be shocked if some decide to bail out. Such is life in college athletics.

Let's give Coach P a chance.

I tend to agree. We all have strategy differences with coaches...that is not uncommon.

However, I have advocated having something around the athletic facilities bearing her name, as a acknowledgement of her success at duke

Bluedawg
02-12-2008, 12:54 PM
The comparison between the Duke fb coaching change and women's bball coaching change is completely in left field. The Duke fb team is comparable to a D1AA program and they haven't even been competitive. They have nowhere to go but up. Meanwhile, the Duke women's bball team has won 30+ games for 7 consecutive years. In the last 10 yrs, Gail won 301 games and had a winning clip of .867. That's a HUGE difference....

How many coaches dod Coach Williams keep when he went to UNC, Coach Lowe at State, how will be kept at Ga tech with the new FB coach. Yes...it is comparable

gadzooks
02-12-2008, 01:30 PM
Apart from the warranted or unwarranted criticism of Coach P (and I think unwarranted), I don't understand the harping about Coach G leaving. She, out of her own mouth, stated that Duke met every one of her requests. She allowed Texas to pursue her. She saw Texas as her dream job. Duke countered and she chose Texas. Her own life situation had changed. She had split from her husband. She chose to make further changes in her life. I respect that and recognize that my love for Duke does not, necessarily, translate to the same feelings by others. Her dreams, apparently, were not Duke-centric as are many on this board.I agree, and find it irritating that people continue to harp on it as though Gail desperately wanted to stay at Duke, but Alleva forced her out. I have seen absolutely no indication that that's even remotely true. Or that Duke should have hired Geno Auriemma or Brenda Frese, or [insert other random coach's name here] as though there was some evidence that any of them wanted to leave their current school and come to Duke. Look. Gail has a mind of her own, let's accept that she used it to make the choice to take the Texas job. Let's also accept that Duke isn't the dream job for every coach in the world. I completely understand and share the frustration of fellow fans of the women's basketball program, but let's stay in reality here.

killerleft
02-12-2008, 01:32 PM
So this is what the board would have sounded like when Coach K came on board! I always wondered...

And the situation was much the same. A pretty fair bunch left over, but not as good as before he came. Different system, rocky start, best offensive player's court time reduced because of a lack of defense...

At least Coach P has been given every benefit of the doubt, huh?

Indoor66
02-12-2008, 02:02 PM
I tend to agree. We all have strategy differences with coaches...that is not uncommon.

However, I have advocated having something around the athletic facilities bearing her name, as a acknowledgement of her success at duke

I cannot agree with naming anything after Coach G. She left. So be it. I wish she had stayed but she made her decision. If you want to name something, how about something for Vic Bubas? He retired as coach at Duke with an extremely high winning percentage, 3 final fours, many All-Americans.

Wander
02-12-2008, 02:07 PM
So this is what the board would have sounded like when Coach K came on board! I always wondered...

And the situation was much the same. A pretty fair bunch left over, but not as good as before he came. Different system, rocky start, best offensive player's court time reduced because of a lack of defense...

So it's never okay to criticize a coach because this one time Duke hired Coach K and it worked out. I get it now. Thanks for clearing that up.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
02-12-2008, 02:11 PM
So it's never okay to criticize a coach because this one time Duke hired Coach K and it worked out. I get it now. Thanks for clearing that up.

Of course. Just like K never makes any mistakes because overall he's been successful. Any single point of success negates all criticism into perpetuity.:)

Wander
02-12-2008, 02:21 PM
Of course. Just like K never makes any mistakes because overall he's been successful. Any single point of success negates all criticism into perpetuity.:)

I'm pretty sure no opponent has ever scored a point against a K-coached team. Also, did you know his teams average negative five turnovers a game?

Bluedawg
02-12-2008, 02:55 PM
I cannot agree with naming anything after Coach G. She left. So be it. I wish she had stayed but she made her decision. If you want to name something, how about something for Vic Bubas? He retired as coach at Duke with an extremely high winning percentage, 3 final fours, many All-Americans.

Fine...I have no problem with that.

killerleft
02-12-2008, 03:03 PM

I think you missed the point. Or made it for me. Coach K did make mistakes. But he didn't deserve the hysterical destructive criticism that he received from some alumni and fans.

And Coach P doesn't deserve some of the comments put forth earlier in this thread from people who are assuming quite a bit and knowing nothing.

MulletMan
02-12-2008, 04:15 PM
Had she stayed, we would easily be TOP 5 and national contenders. As it is, we are not and though some of you think we are going to light it up come March, you are dreaming. Being Top 15 in the women's poll is like being Top 50 in the men's poll. There are very few teams that are legitimate national contenders and we have been for the last several years but not this time.

This is the ACC not the Big 10 folks. You run, press and win and are a legitimate title contender each year, ie Maryland and Carolina. We have no big center so we need to stop acting as if we do and push the ball. Yes, we are beating the average teams in the ACC and we squeaked by Rutgers because their style is to slow the game down which is how we play this year. Last year they took us out of our game and upset us in Greensboro.
I cannot bring myself to go to another game after seeing the UNC game last week. We are in freefall and it disturbs me greatly because we were among the elite and I just hate to see it all fall apart so quickly.

Ahhh... the spoiled Duke fan. High, often unrealistic expectations of contending for a national title every season, and being unable to see the good in any situation that involves a few losses and a ranking outside the top 10.

I'm glad that you will stop supporting the team now that they are going through difficult times. Way to step up.

ugadevil
02-12-2008, 04:21 PM
Ahhh... the spoiled Duke fan. High, often unrealistic expectations of contending for a national title every season, and being unable to see the good in any situation that involves a few losses and a ranking outside the top 10.

I'm glad that you will stop supporting the team now that they are going through difficult times. Way to step up.

It's like a FSU basketball fan who thinks their team will actually play up to potential and make the tournament.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-12-2008, 05:13 PM
If you want to name something, how about something for Vic Bubas? He retired as coach at Duke with an extremely high winning percentage, 3 final fours, many All-Americans.
I wish we could look forward to something like that being announced when he is honored at the St. John's game. Vic Bubas brought big time college basketball to Duke in ways that go far beyond recruiting or strategies on the court. His influence continues years after he retired.

RepoMan
02-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Turtleboy was not rumor-mongering.

Thank God that's cleared up.

jimsumner
02-12-2008, 05:52 PM
FWIW, the concourse at Cameron is named after Vic Bubas.

sagegrouse
02-12-2008, 05:59 PM
I support Duke Athletics but almost withdrew my support this year after the way the whole G thing went down last year. She brought too much to DU to see her set free so easily.

My goodness! What nonsense! Duke did everything it could have reasonably done to keep Coach G. Moreover, she had no trouble recruiting great players and achieving great results.

She wanted to leave, she's not coming back. Next play!

sagegrouse

Indoor66
02-12-2008, 06:09 PM
FWIW, the concourse at Cameron is named after Vic Bubas.

Yeah, I thought of that after I posted. Thanks for putting it on the Board.

JBDuke
02-12-2008, 11:26 PM
This is crap. My two word post contained no rumormongering whatsoever, and I deeply resent the implication. I don't now when I have seen such bush league moderation. You guys are afraid of your own shadows.

Your post was deleted because it was a direct reply to the post containing unsubstantiated rumors. Once the first post was deleted, your post made no sense, so it was deleted as well.

Regarding your feelings about the moderation of this site, if you don't like it, feel free to leave. You won't be missed.

This thread has now deviated far from its intial purpose, and is only serving as a place for people that can't let go to continue griping. The thread is now CLOSED.