PDA

View Full Version : C. B. Claiborne

McDougald
02-11-2008, 09:23 AM
I'm pleased to read that Barry Jacobs has included C. B. Claiborn prominently in his new book.

Back in the late 1960's Duke Basketball was more open. Every year we would get tickets to some games and our parents would drive us up to Durham for a Saturday afternoon game in Duke Indoor Stadium. We would shoot some baskets on the court before the teams took the floor, then we would head up to our seats in the rafters, and watch the warmups and games.

For one game, I had brought my own basketball and a felt tip pen with hopes to get it signed by some Duke players. Prior to the game I had met John Young, a broadcaster with the company that televised the game. Mr. Young gave us a tour of the broadcasting area before the game and got us into the locker room after the game. Bob Verga, Steve Vacendak, Jack Marin etc. were there grouped together and all signed my basketball. Sitting alone on one bench was C. B. Claiborne. He gladly signed the ball that was eventyally signed by everyone including Vic Bubas. (Wish I had that ball today.) I remember telling C. B. Claiborne: "I'm pulling for you!" His very polite reply: "Thank you, young man." That was the first time anyone ever called me "young man."

He is a true gentleman and a real credit to Duke University and Duke Basketball.

Indoor66
02-11-2008, 09:59 AM
I'm pleased to read that Barry Jacobs has included C. B. Claiborn prominently in his new book.

Back in the late 1960's Duke Basketball was more open. Every year we would get tickets to some games and our parents would drive us up to Durham for a Saturday afternoon game in Duke Indoor Stadium. We would shoot some baskets on the court before the teams took the floor, then we would head up to our seats in the rafters, and watch the warmups and games.

For one game, I had brought my own basketball and a felt tip pen with hopes to get it signed by some Duke players. Prior to the game I had met John Young, a broadcaster with the company that televised the game. Mr. Young gave us a tour of the broadcasting area before the game and got us into the locker room after the game. Bob Verga, Steve Vacendak, Jack Marin etc. were there grouped together and all signed my basketball. Sitting alone on one bench was C. B. Claiborne. He gladly signed the ball that was eventyally signed by everyone including Vic Bubas. (Wish I had that ball today.) I remember telling C. B. Claiborne: "I'm pulling for you!" His very polite reply: "Thank you, young man." That was the first time anyone ever called me "young man."

He is a true gentleman and a real credit to Duke University and Duke Basketball.

Neat story. Thanks.