PDA

View Full Version : Groat - Saturday

fidel
02-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Just curious, what was the ceremony, how did it go?

The more I hear of this guy the more I wish I had seen him play. It'd be nice to here more of him.

Summie444
02-10-2008, 07:26 PM
Alleva handed Groat a plaque as the massive list of his achievements were announced. He seemed to appreciate the standing ovation that Cameron gave him though.

buddy
02-10-2008, 07:29 PM
He was introduced at halftime. Alleva presented him with a plaque of some kind. Groat was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in November, so that was the impetus for the ceremony. He didn't say anything, but sat under the north basket throughout the afternoon. He got a nice reception from the crowd.

Verga3
02-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Just curious, what was the ceremony, how did it go?

The more I hear of this guy the more I wish I had seen him play. It'd be nice to here more of him.

Dick Groat's #10 was the first Blue Devil basketball jersey to be placed in the rafters....in 1952. Fittingly, it was retired before a Duke baseball game. On the diamond and the hardwood, Groat was arguably the greatest athlete Duke ever produced. Incidently, he led Duke to a 94-64 victory over North Carolina in the last game he ever played in Cameron.....scoring 48 points, still a record for that game (gives you a warm feeling, doesn't it). Here's a great piece by Bill Brill from a few years ago that profiles one of our greatest ever. Enjoy.

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/030504aaj.html