PDA

View Full Version : Radio Coverage

wtpeters
02-10-2008, 09:15 AM
Whom should we complain to regarding Duke Radio coverage? I live in Chatham county about 5 miles south of Chapel Hill, and I get zero reception here after sundown. Neither 620 or 850 can be heard. I tried to get the FM station in Sanford, but that is also a no show. I also tried XM radio, but it is about 10 seconds behind the game, instead of ahead of it and is useless.
I sure would like to hear Bob Harris instead of Billy Packer!!

DukePA
02-10-2008, 09:30 AM
Whom should we complain to regarding Duke Radio coverage? I live in Chatham county about 5 miles south of Chapel Hill, and I get zero reception here after sundown. Neither 620 or 850 can be heard. I tried to get the FM station in Sanford, but that is also a no show. I also tried XM radio, but it is about 10 seconds behind the game, instead of ahead of it and is useless.

I wish I knew who to go to. My parents live 20 miles west of Durham and have the same problem. I am lucky to live in the eastern part of the state because we get the Duke Radio Network for men's bball and football on FM 107.9. It would be nice if they would broadcast the women's games especially early in the season when they are unlikely to be on TV.

If someone can point us in the right direction, I'll be glad to become a part of a campaign to encourage more complete radio coverage for Duke Sports.

jtelander
02-10-2008, 10:18 AM

This link lists all of the Duke radio network options. Perhaps one of the FM stations would be accessible with a good antenna?

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=187716

DukePA
02-10-2008, 10:42 AM
This link lists all of the Duke radio network options. Perhaps one of the FM stations would be accessible with a good antenna?

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=187716

Thanks! Greensboro should work for my parents and for wtpeters. Go Duke!!

OZZIE4DUKE
02-10-2008, 10:59 AM

I've had the same complaint for years here in Smithfield, east of the Triangle. Why 850 has to lower their signal at sundown makes no sense to me, but I don't set the rules.

I too have XM but would only listen to it for the away games, both bball and football, which is bad because they broadcast the home team's signal. As far as syncing it to the TV, if you have a DVR or Tivo, you could manually pause the signal for a few seconds to line it up timewise to the XM signal. Of course, then you would be 10 or 15 seconds behind "live", and the thought that you could know what's going on sooner might drive you nuts.

Ima Facultiwyfe
02-10-2008, 11:44 AM
You can bet they'd get a signal to tarheel fans if they needed it. It helps to have friends in high places. WCHL goes ANYwhere for them. It's just part of the territory around here.

Love, Ima

billy
02-10-2008, 05:11 PM
You can get their webcast (and 620thebull) streaming - I listen to it at work via iTunes. I too hate the fact they power down at sunset (and don't power up until sometime around sunrise). I can barely get them on I-40 as is during the daytime.

Oh yeah - they always carry the pregame starting one hour before gametime.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-10-2008, 05:27 PM
It does appear that the Duke Radio Network has been shrinking over recent years and that the FM stations in particular have declined in number. Why have stations left this network? Why are few new ones joining? Is there more money in carrying Carolina games? What is the role of the local sponsors in this change? Or is the frequent TV coverage discouraging to radio stations which would consider carrying the Duke games? Does Clear Channel's acquisition of local stations have anything to do with this decline?

The people in the best position to answer the questions about the Duke Radio Network might be the folks in the Duke Sports Information office.

CameronBlue
02-10-2008, 05:34 PM
Oh yeah - they always carry the pregame starting one hour before gametime.

Until this year, if I'm not mistaken, WDNC also aired the post-game which lasted an hour as well with a coaches call-in segment following home games. Where has that gone?

365Duke
02-10-2008, 05:54 PM
I thought about posting the 850 website the other day, and then I saw this

http://www.850thebuzz.com/blog/?page_id=3370

Question: Why do you “block” some programs on your stream that I can hear on your over the air radio station?
Answer: You will only be able to listen to locally produced shows on 850 The Buzz and 620 The Bull. You will not be able to hear Jim Rome, ESPN, FOX or play-by-play on the stream.

Letch
02-10-2008, 05:59 PM
The other issue I have with the coverage in the eastern part of the state is that 107.9 FM out of Greenville does not carry any of our Sunday games. They give priority to Steve Hardy's Beach Party instead. Sundays are probably the days that most of us might want to listen to a game while traveling and there are no options. They don't even broadcast for ACC tournament championship & NCAA tournament games on Sunday.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-10-2008, 06:02 PM
Until this year, if I'm not mistaken, WDNC also aired the post-game which lasted an hour as well with a coaches call-in segment following home games. Where has that gone?
You're right about the current post-game broadcasts. They don't last much beyond exiting the parking lot.

JBDuke
02-10-2008, 06:19 PM
I've had the same complaint for years here in Smithfield, east of the Triangle. Why 850 has to lower their signal at sundown makes no sense to me, but I don't set the rules.

All AM stations, by FCC regulation, must power down at sunset to avoid interfering with each other. Here's an explanation from the FCC's site: http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/bickel/daytime.html

DevilDad
02-10-2008, 09:31 PM
How about this one guys: Our local AM station is in the Bule Devil Network. However when the heels and Devils are playing the same afternoon (football) or the same evening (basketball), they broadcast unc. When I called to complain, the lady I was talking to tells me the reason for this is (are you ready?)... The station manager went to carolina!!!!! Oh the humanity!!!!!:mad:

jlear
02-10-2008, 10:36 PM
All AM stations, by FCC regulation, must power down at sunset to avoid interfering with each other. Here's an explanation from the FCC's site: http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/bickel/daytime.html

I don't believe I just read that whole page....what a geek!

OZZIE4DUKE
02-10-2008, 11:50 PM
You're right about the current post-game broadcasts. They don't last much beyond exiting the parking lot.

620 and 850 carry the full post game show, but Johnny Dawkins no longer does the call in show after home games. Don't know if it was his choice or the network's, but I would guess his. After all, except when I called in to ask a brilliant question, most of them were pretty lame, and it's amazing how many are covered in the HPR (playing time and player development - or lack there of, stall ball, recruiting, injuries, etc.) His answers were always standard coach speak, and most of us can only take so much of that, so not having the show is no great loss.

vango
02-11-2008, 11:22 AM
This is a very frustrating issue for me down in Wilmington, NC. I can listen to the heels on about 3 stations but when Duke is playing I can only listen to a blended mix of country music, Bob Harris, and that band "The Statics" (whenever I pass beneath some power lines) on 107.9. Stinks.....

Frustrating to hear, "Paulus to Singler at the top of the key, dribbles once.....'....you're che-eatin' heart, will....' How sweet it is!" Grrrr :mad:

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-11-2008, 01:44 PM
Have any of you "out of range" in NC/SC/VA contacted the Sports Information Office at Duke to let them know how much you want a Duke Radio Network station in your area? This may become an issue for football as well. It can't hurt to ask! The phone number is 919-684-2633. The director of Sports Information is Art Chase whose email address is chasea@duaa.duke.edu.