PDA

View Full Version : Charting Duke vs. Boston College

Jumbo
02-09-2008, 03:38 PM
You know how I always warn not to read too much into single-game plus/minus totals? Well, stats match performance occasionally, too. Take today's game, which was Kyle Singler's best performance at Duke. He was +15, which means Duke got outscored by five points when he was out of the game. Good thing we had him today! Another small note -- we didn't see a four-guard lineup until late in the second half. On to the numbers...

Individuals
Kyle Singler 80-65 (+15)
DeMarcus Nelson 69-60 (+9)
Greg Paulus 73-65 (+8)
Lance Thomas 57-49 (+8)
Nolan Smith 29-23 (+6)
Jon Scheyer 63-58 (+5)
David McClure 10-10 (0)
Brian Zoubek 5-5 (0)
Taylor King 15-16 (-1)
Gerald Henderson 49-51 (-2)

Per 40 Minutes
Kyle Singler +17.6
DeMarcus Nelson +12
Greg Paulus 73-65 +10.3
Lance Thomas +13.3
Nolan Smith +18.5
Jon Scheyer +6.9
David McClure 0
Brian Zoubek 0
Gerald Henderson -3.3
Taylor King -5.7

Lineups
Paulus-Nelson-Henderson-Singler-Thomas (x3) 20-16 (+4)
Paulus-Scheyer-Nelson-Singler-Thomas 12-8 (+4)
Smith-Scheyer-Nelson-King-Singler 7-3 (+4)
Paulus-Smith-Nelson-Singler-Thomas 5-1 (+4)
Paulus-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Thomas (x3) 10-7 (+3)
Paulus-Scheyer-Nelson-Henderson-Singler (x3) 11-9 (+2)
Paulus-Scheyer-Henderson-King-Thomas 4-2 (+2)
Smith-Scheyer-Nelson-McClure-Singler (x3) 8-8 (0)
Paulus-Smith-Scheyer-Singler-Zoubek 5-5 (0)
Paulus-Smith-Scheyer-McClure-Singler 2-2 (0)
Smith-Scheyer-Nelson-King-Thomas 2-2 (0)
Paulus-Smith-Scheyer-Nelson-Thomas 0-0 (0)
Smith-Nelson-Henderson-Singler-Thomas 0-0 (0)
Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Thomas 0-2 (-2)
Paulus-Nelson-Henderson-King-Thomas 2-5 (-3)
Paulus-Scheyer-Nelson-Henderson-Thomas (x2) 2-6 (-4)
Paulus-Scheyer-Henderson-King-Singler 0-4 (-4)

MChambers
02-09-2008, 03:57 PM
Interesting that neither Henderson nor Scheyer (sorry, Jumbo) did very well today.
The numbers show Lance's improvement, I think. He had some very nice low post moves and rebounds, plus he drew some charges (and one that was called a block).

Bob Green
02-09-2008, 04:02 PM
Interesting that neither Henderson nor Scheyer (sorry, Jumbo) did very well today.

I disagree that Scheyer didn't do well today. He had 11 points, five rebounds, two assists, and one turnover. We were +5 with him in the game. Those are decent numbers.

CDu
02-09-2008, 04:04 PM
The numbers show Lance's improvement, I think. He had some very nice low post moves and rebounds, plus he drew some charges (and one that was called a block).

I think Henderson's wrist is definitely bothering him. He looked like he was favoring it several times today.

Bob Green
02-09-2008, 04:07 PM
I think Henderson's wrist is definitely bothering him. He looked like he was favoring it several times today.

I've read in a couple of places that Henderson sprained his wrist in the first half of the Carolina game. I agree with you that it is still bothering him.

MChambers
02-09-2008, 05:36 PM
I disagree that Scheyer didn't do well today. He had 11 points, five rebounds, two assists, and one turnover. We were +5 with him in the game. Those are decent numbers.

Fair enough, Bob, but it certainly wasn't vintage Scheyer.

Jumbo
02-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Fair enough, Bob, but it certainly wasn't vintage Scheyer.

I thought he was really good (again, he tipped a ton of passes and made a number of plays that led to baskets without getting assists) except for two exceptions. First, he had a really bad sequence with about 8-10 minutes left in the second half. Second, he had a couple of shots blocked, including one where he clearly should have dished off. But from an all-around perspective, he had a pretty good game.

jjasper0729
02-09-2008, 06:16 PM

Coach K said in the post game interview on the radio that the wrist was an issue and he almost didn't go today.

MChambers
02-10-2008, 08:25 AM
I thought he was really good (again, he tipped a ton of passes and made a number of plays that led to baskets without getting assists) except for two exceptions. First, he had a really bad sequence with about 8-10 minutes left in the second half. Second, he had a couple of shots blocked, including one where he clearly should have dished off. But from an all-around perspective, he had a pretty good game.

Scheyer seemed to be involved in several unfortunate plays when BC reclaimed its last lead. I remember him driving the lane, coming to a stop, looking for a pass, then throwing up an awful off-balance shot, leading to a BC break. So perhaps that sequence is why I think he didn't play as well as usual.