PDA

View Full Version : Duke & the Second Half

civileng68
02-27-2007, 04:52 PM
First off, I want to give a big "Great Job" to the guys at DBR for these forums. I've been a reader here for YEARS and this is the best move yet. Good job guys.

Now, I have a question to my fellow Devils. What is the deal with the 2nd half meltdowns?

I see the team play so well early in the game, hitting great shots and lots of intensity. However, what is their issue in the 2nd half. It seems like it's nothing for this team to lose a 20 point lead in a second half.

It it conditioning, age, what?

OZZIE4DUKE
02-27-2007, 04:56 PM
Now, I have a question to my fellow Devils. What is the deal with the 2nd half meltdowns? ... It seems like it's nothing for this team to lose a 20 point lead in a second half.

It it conditioning, age, what?

Sometimes, it is the dreaded 1e. Sometimes, like against St. Johns on Sunday, it isn't.

civileng68
02-27-2007, 05:01 PM
Sometimes, it is the dreaded 1e. Sometimes, like against St. Johns on Sunday, it isn't.

Ozzie, you have to excuse me, I'm a complete idiot. What does 1e mean?

-jk
02-27-2007, 05:20 PM
Ozzie, you have to excuse me, I'm a complete idiot. What does 1e mean?

Take a look at the sticky at the top of the forum.

-jk

civileng68
02-27-2007, 05:29 PM
Take a look at the sticky at the top of the forum.

-jk

Oh, thanks man! That is beautiful!

Regarding 1e, I totally agree! That is a major major factor.

patentgeek
02-27-2007, 05:38 PM
I think that the 2nd half struggles are simply a sign of a team that is still growing. If you'll remember, earlier in the season fans were critical/worried because this team couldn't seem to ever get off to a good start (e.g., down 2 at the half to Holy Cross, up only 1 at the half to Kent, down 1 and only scoring 20 points against Gonzaga, down 5 at the half at home to Va Tech (who at the time was viewed as being a mediocre team), and down 5 at the half at Georgia Tech).

Apparently this team has now learned how to attack with intensity from the opening tap. And despite some 2nd half struggles, since the Maryland game Duke hasn't lost all of a 2nd half lead yet, even though BC and Clemson did get within shouting distance. I think that part of the maturing process will be learning that you have to go for the kill when you can, because teams can and do come back.

That said, I would definitely say that it's much preferred to be up 20 at the half, with the concern being that the lead might slip away, than to be down at the half with the concern being much different.

gep
02-27-2007, 05:47 PM
I also think that what happened at Maryland, when Duke went down by 20 points... Duke was able to come back in the 2nd half to within 6 points twice. Kinda like, if Duke can do it in the 2nd half, then others can too. Maybe it's harder to maintain in the 2nd half if you have a 20 point lead, than being 20 points down and playing lights-out. However, it appears that Duke's defensive intensity in the 1st half in the last few games really knocks the other team back, and takes them out of any rythym they may want... then they re-group at halftime... then they make a run in the 2nd half. At least Duke has gotten to the point that they can weather the storm and hold on for the win. Hopefully, 2nd halves will get better from here on out.

elvis14
02-27-2007, 05:47 PM
One thing that concerned me with the Clemson game and the St. Johns game is that we didn't handle full court pressure very well in the second half of those games. When we played GT, we did a great job of attacking the press and getting easy scores when they were there. The second half against Clemson it seemed like their press was giving us absolute fits.

The good news is that if I'm right, it's not that bad because that's the sort of thing that can be worked on in practiced and fixed.

Elvis

Channing
02-27-2007, 06:07 PM
remembering the beginning of the year, we were miserable in the first half and really turned it on in the second half. Coach K attributed that to having the offense in front of him and being able to lead for the second half. Now we have great first halves and less great second halves. Hopefully one of these games we can string two great halves together and blow a team out the water!