PDA

View Full Version : Duke MBB vs. BC Pre-Game and In-Game thread

dukelifer
02-08-2008, 09:37 PM
Everyone seems to be in a post-UNC fog and seems to have forgotten that there a game tomorrow- against BC. At one point they were playing very well. Is Duke going to get caught napping after the big win? They are on a five game losing streak so unless they are packing it in- they need this game big time. Thoughts? Worries?

OZZIE4DUKE
02-08-2008, 09:40 PM
Everyone seems to be in a post-UNC fog and seems to have forgotten that there a game tomorrow- against BC. At one point they were playing very well. Is Duke going to get caught napping after the big win?

Caught napping? No. Not according to Coach Collins. They are making them very aware that there is a game on Saturday afternoon. Play well, and they get a day and a half off and can spend it with friends and family. Play poorly, and they only get Sunday off. (last part is only assumed, not spoken)

Heelkiller1
02-08-2008, 09:43 PM
This team seems to be very focused and smart ,i don't think they are going to over look anybody.

-jk
02-08-2008, 10:41 PM
I'll leave the analysis to the pros...

PLAYER MIN PTS REB AST TO FG% FT%
Rakim Sanders 26.9 12.3 4.3 1.9 2.6 45.7 47.8
John Oates 19.0 4.4 3.4 1.0 0.8 50.8 72.7
Tyrelle Blair 24.5 6.0 5.1 0.6 1.8 39.8 69.3
Tyrese Rice 37.8 19.5 3.7 5.1 3.4 41.8 85.8
Biko Paris 22.8 5.8 2.0 2.8 1.9 41.2 62.7

Shamari Spears 28.9 10.6 6.9 1.2 2.2 50.0 73.1
Corey Raji 19.5 8.7 4.0 0.8 1.0 59.8 57.6
Tyler Roche 20.9 4.6 2.1 2.0 1.0 37.6 45.5
Josh Southern 11.5 3.7 2.1 0.4 0.8 60.9 52.9

Blair blocks 3.9 per game.
Sanders and Raji shoot 40% from 3pt.

-jk

Faustus
02-08-2008, 10:57 PM
Remember that our man Zoubek may well appear in this game. That alone should make it interesting. Furthermore, strange as it always seems this time of year, home games in Cameron are somehow quickly slipping away. DeMarcus has but a handful remaining in his career. Only Maryland, GT and Carolina remain after tomorrow's game. Let's hope we all savor these to the fullest. Will it have to be Brent Mussberger calling the game in "the Cameron"?

Bob Green
02-09-2008, 04:22 AM
The key to this game will be turnovers. Duke needs to apply a full court press from the start and convert turnovers into points. Just like last year, in the game at Chestnut Hills, Duke needs to take it to the Eagles early.

It will be very nice to see Brian Zoubek back in action and I'm rooting hard for Taylor King to have a big game. He looked bad bricking those two 3-point shots against Carolina and he needs to respond.

jjasper0729
02-09-2008, 08:17 AM
Remember that our man Zoubek may well appear in this game. That alone should make it interesting. Furthermore, strange as it always seems this time of year, home games in Cameron are somehow quickly slipping away. DeMarcus has but a handful remaining in his career. Only Maryland, GT and Carolina remain after tomorrow's game. Let's hope we all savor these to the fullest. Will it have to be Brent Mussberger calling the game in "the Cameron"?

forgot about st. johns in that list of remaining home games

Highlander
02-09-2008, 08:23 AM
I have tickets!!

WOHOOO!!!

First game back in Cameron since Ewing got that BS technical vs. Miami for hanging on the rim.

Surfsideron
02-09-2008, 08:42 AM
Will it have to be Brent Mussberger calling the game in "the Cameron"?

I believe it will be Vern calling this game as it is being broadcast by CBS.

Duke will not look past this game. I see them winning by 15-20.

dukepsy1963
02-09-2008, 09:15 AM
Eight to 12 of us Dukies will be getting together up here in the mountains of N.C. to cheer for our guys to do it again! A special treat will be "Duke Hermit" cookies for all to enjoy. The archives were gracious enough to find the recipe for me. I will post it once we give the cookies a "trial run today."

So, never fear, listen for those mountain cheers!

sandinmyshoes
02-09-2008, 11:44 AM
You should never take anything for granted in the ACC, but it's difficult to imagine BC beating us today. While any post rivalry game has the potential to be a trap game, I just don't see it from BC in Cameron. Even with Coach K's ability to keep the team motivated, a flat emotional game can occur, but I don't think that will make enough of a difference in this game for BC to get a win.

ACCBBallFan
02-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Oates and Blair are not offensive powerhouses and Duke beat BC with Dudley and Marshall twice last year, and I think Sean Williams may have played in one of those games too.

Gotta like Duke's chances of covering Rice with Nelson/Smith and forcing the no -names to beat Duke.

DukePA
02-09-2008, 12:57 PM
Eight to 12 of us Dukies will be getting together up here in the mountains of N.C. to cheer for our guys to do it again! A special treat will be "Duke Hermit" cookies for all to enjoy. The archives were gracious enough to find the recipe for me. I will post it once we give the cookies a "trial run today."

So, never fear, listen for those mountain cheers!

Ditto for the beach cheers! GO DUKE!!!!! The eagles have landed, so let's keep them on the ground. No soaring for BC today.

pfrduke
02-09-2008, 01:02 PM
BC plays terrible defense - the worst in the conference. They've given up at least 1.12 points per possession in each of the last 5 games (Duke, by contrast, gives up just .95 points per possession in conference play). About the only thing they do well on D is block shots (and really, that's just Tyrelle Blair) - they don't force turnovers, they don't rebound well, and teams shoot fairly well against them. BC is also very susceptible to turnovers - Clemson turned them over more than once in every 3 possessions. Duke should be able to force a lot of TOs and turn them into easy transition looks.

Karl Beem
02-09-2008, 01:48 PM
We're certainly giving these guys confidence!:mad:

3rd Dukie
02-09-2008, 01:48 PM
I have to say, Packer has thus far been actually fun to listen to. His criticisms have been constructive and valid. He has been relatively upbeat. Maybe it's the time of day, and we have another half left to play. He also pays more attention to the game. What a pleasant surprise.

AluminumDuke
02-09-2008, 02:00 PM
I have to say, Packer has thus far been actually fun to listen to. His criticisms have been constructive and valid. He has been relatively upbeat. Maybe it's the time of day, and we have another half left to play. He also pays more attention to the game. What a pleasant surprise.

I was also thinking that this seemed to be a kinder, gentler Billy Packer. I hope he doesn't revert in the second half.

superdave
02-09-2008, 02:01 PM
I loved how Scheyer got a break away layup on a nice steal and Packer could only criticize the other 4 Duke players. At least he is consistent.

wisteria
02-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Pathetic pathetic pathetic FREE THROW shooting!!!!!

I cannot find any excuses for these guys to shoot THIS bad at the FT line. It's just outrageous. I hope that Coach will have them each shooting 500 free throws after this game.

I am mad.

OldSchool
02-09-2008, 02:06 PM
It's frustrating because the team is playing well, but the shots aren't falling at the FT line or the 3pt line.

If the team's shots were falling at a respectable %, we'd have put up about 55 on BC in the first half.

BC, especially Tyrese, is shooting lights out.

wisteria
02-09-2008, 02:09 PM
Our O is fine, just shots not falling. But our D is questionable at best.
We gotta get our acts together in the 2nd half.

dukestheheat
02-09-2008, 02:16 PM
This one has been ugly so far for Duke.

Obviously, Duke was totally UNprepared, mentally, to play this game today, and we can see it in our free throw percentage.

We will get it going and already, Duke is looking better (Paulus just hit his second three ball of the half and BC calls the timeout).

I'm sure K used his team defibrillator at the half.

dth.

_Gary
02-09-2008, 02:38 PM
I think this is easily the worst game the team as a whole has played all year, and the worst individual game I've seen from Scheyer in a long, long time. He's forced a number of drives/shots.

dukestheheat
02-09-2008, 02:46 PM
I think this is easily the worst game the team as a whole has played all year, and the worst individual game I've seen from Scheyer in a long, long time. He's forced a number of drives/shots.

We're attacking the basket much better and our free throws are falling; certainly, beating the Holes emotionally sapped the team.

I was concerned that we'd come out versus BC the very way we did and it's good to see them turn the corner.

dth.

_Gary
02-09-2008, 02:49 PM
Yeah, things are starting to get better here mid-way through the 2nd half. I'm just so used to seeing Jon make smart plays that I am shocked when I see him force things. And he's done that a few times today with bad results. But things are looking up now!

_Gary
02-09-2008, 02:50 PM
Wow, just when I think we've got it sown up with a 13 point lead we allow back to back 3's and now BC is right back in it with plenty of time left.

_Gary
02-09-2008, 03:06 PM
Was it just me or did BC get kinda chippy at the end?