PDA

View Full Version : TV: In Therapy

johnb
02-08-2008, 12:52 PM
There's a new HBO show, "In Therapy." Five nights a week, it shows Gabriel Byrne doing therapy on different people. Seems like the most real-life presentation of psychotherapy that I've seen, but I'm curious if anyone around here has seen it.

billybreen
02-08-2008, 01:14 PM
There's a new HBO show, "In Therapy." Five nights a week, it shows Gabriel Byrne doing therapy on different people. Seems like the most real-life presentation of psychotherapy that I've seen, but I'm curious if anyone around here has seen it.

If it's real life, life is incredibly boring. Actually, that sounds about right.

Saw the first episode, and I don't think even the continuing writers strike will bring me back.

camcraz25
02-10-2008, 09:39 PM
As a PhD student in clinical psychology, it's pretty close to what goes on a lot of time in adult therapy. However, I work with kids, so it isn't quite as 'boring' with them :) It's an interesting show to me because it helps me see more examples of application of the 'skills' we learn in our graduate program. I can see how non-psychologically minded people would find it boring, though. And I think it's actors...I don't think these are REAL patients these people are seeing.

johnb
02-11-2008, 08:34 AM
That's why I was asking. A couple of my psychiatrist friends and I (and I'm also a psychiatrist) think it's quite fun to watch and may be the best representation of therapy that we've seen. I was curious whether laypeople enjoyed it as well.