PDA

View Full Version : Mason Plumlee Collector Thread

Pages : [1] 2

watzone
02-08-2008, 09:36 AM
... the Duke-Maryland game (http://myblogdevils.eponym.com/blog) He's a kid we may well offer in the near future.

JasonEvans
02-08-2008, 10:07 AM
To everyone wondering when Duke would get involved with another big man. Mason is 6-10 or 6-11 and is very involved with Georgetown, UCLA, Louisville, and several others. Our biggest competition should come from Indiana and Stanford. His brother, class of 2008, will be going to Stanford next year. He is also originally from Indiana and probably has some strong hometown feelings for the Hoosiers.

He is rated just outside the top 50 in the excellent 2009 class, but it is still early and I have heard his stock is rising.

--Jason "thanks to Wat for the insider recruiting scoop!!" Evans

Madrasdukie
02-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Thanks. Is Leslie McDonald scheduled for a visit anytime soon ?
I understand if this question cannot be answered outside of the BDN premium board.

watzone
02-08-2008, 10:45 AM
Thanks. Is Leslie McDonald scheduled for a visit anytime soon ?
I understand if this question cannot be answered outside of the BDN premium board.

You are right on that one. The news on Mason will be public knowledge in a western North Carolina newspaper tomorrow, so I decided to drop the dime. I hope that the Cameron Crazies are on their game. Of course, why wouldn't they be for Maryland. Still, it is always nice to give kids a brief notice even on unofficials.

bigj4194
02-08-2008, 10:48 AM
i have forwarded the message to the LM in charge of the cheer sheet for MD...I will make sure that the crazies know

watzone...keep letting us (the non members of BDN premium board) know about prospects visits and Ill keep the cheer sheets/crazies up to date

Madrasdukie
02-08-2008, 10:58 AM
You are right on that one. The news on Mason will be public knowledge in a western North Carolina newspaper tomorrow, so I decided to drop the dime. I hope that the Cameron Crazies are on their game. Of course, why wouldn't they be for Maryland. Still, it is always nice to give kids a brief notice even on unofficials.

I'm like 75% close to signing up at your site as a premium member - being smitten by the recruitment news more so than in the past. Regardless, am a regular reader of BDN, and have always enjoyed reading your posts (starting with the one that broke the news about DeMarcus).

watzone
02-08-2008, 11:02 AM
How about holding off on the cheer sheet until I can confirm he is coming for sure and that it might be the thing to do in reconizing him. He is a talented young man but does not hold an offer at this time.

bigj4194
02-08-2008, 11:08 AM
will do

JasonEvans
02-08-2008, 05:37 PM
How about holding off on the cheer sheet until I can confirm he is coming for sure and that it might be the thing to do in reconizing him. He is a talented young man but does not hold an offer at this time.

After some pensive moments, Watzone has concluded that it is worth putting Plumlee on the cheer sheet!!

So, cheer away Crazies and make this kid welcome!!

--Jason "I think we might have room for a 6-11ish player at Duke ;) " Evans

Indoor66
02-08-2008, 10:20 PM
After some pensive moments, Watzone has concluded that it is worth putting Plumlee on the cheer sheet!!

So, cheer away Crazies and make this kid welcome!!

--Jason "I think we might have room for a 6-11ish player at Duke ;) " Evans

6'11" has been good to Duke: Mike Giminski, Christian Laettner.... ;)

watzone
02-08-2008, 10:48 PM
I'll guarantee you that this is huge news (http://myblogdevils.eponym.com/blog/_archives/2008/2/8/3513291.html)

Go ahead! Hit the link;)

-jk
02-08-2008, 10:51 PM
I'll guarantee you that this is huge news (http://myblogdevils.eponym.com/blog/_archives/2008/2/8/3513291.html)

Go ahead! Hit the link;)

Such a tease!

SeattleIrish
02-09-2008, 01:46 AM
To everyone wondering when Duke would get involved with another big man. Mason is 6-10 or 6-11 and is very involved with Georgetown, UCLA, Louisville, and several others. Our biggest competition should come from Indiana and Stanford. His brother, class of 2008, will be going to Stanford next year. He is also originally from Indiana and probably has some strong hometown feelings for the Hoosiers.

He is rated just outside the top 50 in the excellent 2009 class, but it is still early and I have heard his stock is rising.

--Jason "thanks to Wat for the insider recruiting scoop!!" Evans

Scout.com actually has him at #39, for what it's worth.

http://northcarolina.scout.com/a.z?s=78&p=8&c=1&nid=2856191

Duke isn't even listed for consideration, so it's interesting to see him doing an informal visit. We don't usually do too well with North Carolina guys, so this might be fu.

s.i.

p.s. - I guess I don't know how to link

mus074
02-09-2008, 03:02 AM
Scout.com actually has him at #39, for what it's worth. (http://northcarolina.scout.com/a.z?s=78&p=8&c=1&nid=2856191)

Duke isn't even listed for consideration, so it's interesting to see him doing an informal visit. We don't usually do too well with North Carolina guys, so this might be fu.

s.i.

fixed for ya!

Madrasdukie
02-09-2008, 12:22 PM

Go ahead! Hit the link;)

Thanks for the heads-up on the other two guys.

MChambers
02-09-2008, 05:49 PM
Scout.com actually has him at #39, for what it's worth.

http://northcarolina.scout.com/a.z?s=78&p=8&c=1&nid=2856191

s.i.

http://blogs.citizen-times.com/blogs/index.php?blog=15&title=7_schools_on_mason_plumlee_s_list&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Article was published yesterday. Nice that he has Duke on his list, even if he doesn't have an offer yet. (Hope he doesn't read the thread about Czyz, who appears to be the second coming of Patrick Davidson. It might scare him off!)

bloodevil
02-12-2008, 07:35 AM
This from his coach on NC Independent Schools Rivals site:

Coach K offers Mason Plumlee
[redacted for copyright]

http://ncprivateschoolsports.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=310&mid=110787576&sid=956&tid=110787576&style=1

Devilsfan
02-12-2008, 08:58 AM
What happened to the big from Yugo?

yancem
02-12-2008, 09:31 AM
Plumlee is ranked 60 by rivals and 39 by scout. Does anyone know if he is one of those late bloomers now on the rise or is the staff starting to think we are going to miss out on Echenique, Painter and Riley? I am glad that it looks like the staff is casting a wider net but it is hard to tell if they are going after guys they think are studs or guys because they are tall.

Anyone got a scoop on this guy?

dcarp23
02-12-2008, 09:58 AM
More telling than the numbers that Dave Telep and Jerry Meyer assign a guy, in my book, is the list of schools that have offered a particular guy. In Plumlee's case, he has scholarship offers from Georgetown, Indiana, Louisville, Michigan, Stanford, Tennessee, UCLA, Wake Forest and Xavier. I'd say he's probably pretty good.

Carlos
02-12-2008, 10:02 AM
Plumlee's a great example of why you can't tell everything about recruiting from the rankings. He may be ranked lower than Echenique, Painter and Riley but that's really meaningless because, while he's 6-11 and listed as a power forward, he doesn't play the same game as any of those guys.

Riley and Echenique are both guys who operate inside almost exclusively. Painter is a guy who has the ability to hit an outside shot but he's not as skilled at putting the ball on the floor and passing as Plumlee.

When Erik Murphy committed to Florida the Blue Devils stepped up their recruitment of Plumlee. If you look at the two players you can see that they're somewhat similar in terms of their skill set. Both guys are Kyle Singler types - which is not to say that they are as good a player as Kyle Singler, only that they would fit well into Duke's current system if they were in that role.

ikiru36
02-12-2008, 10:13 AM
Related to our ability to successfully recruit Czyz, Plumlee is, per Scout, a Warsaw native. :0)

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

norduck
02-12-2008, 11:44 AM
http://blogs.citizen-times.com/blogs/index.php?blog=15

Madrasdukie
02-12-2008, 12:16 PM
http://blogs.citizen-times.com/blogs/index.php?blog=15

Thanks for the link. If K really said what the article says he did, this will be a great prospect to look forward to.

mehmattski
02-12-2008, 12:21 PM
At least Mason's name fits the cadence:

"Ma-Son Plum-Lee.... COME-TO-DUKE!"

Chard
02-12-2008, 03:07 PM
Great news that Duke has offered. I have been watching this kid this season. I thought he would be a good prospect for Duke and what do you know?! He gets an offer. I hope he chooses Duke.

Here is a write up (http://www.carolinamountains.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008802010301)on a recent game. Here are some pics (http://www.carolinamountains.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Site=B0&Date=20080131&Category=SPORTS0202&ArtNo=131007&Ref=PH&Params=Itemnr=10) of that game.

yancem
02-12-2008, 06:41 PM
Plumlee's a great example of why you can't tell everything about recruiting from the rankings. He may be ranked lower than Echenique, Painter and Riley but that's really meaningless because, while he's 6-11 and listed as a power forward, he doesn't play the same game as any of those guys.

Riley and Echenique are both guys who operate inside almost exclusively. Painter is a guy who has the ability to hit an outside shot but he's not as skilled at putting the ball on the floor and passing as Plumlee.

When Erik Murphy committed to Florida the Blue Devils stepped up their recruitment of Plumlee. If you look at the two players you can see that they're somewhat similar in terms of their skill set. Both guys are Kyle Singler types - which is not to say that they are as good a player as Kyle Singler, only that they would fit well into Duke's current system if they were in that role.

I know that you can't judge a recruit simply on his ranking but for some of us, the ranking is the only thing we have to go on until their name gets tossed around the boards a few times. That's why I asked the question. Your argument that since he is a different style of player than Echenique, Painter and Riley the rankings are meaningless, however doesn't make much sense. I'm sure that there is some recruit out in Idaho or Montana who has a similar style of play as Singler but isn't fit to carry his jock, should we recruit him simply because he plays a certain style? You have to fit the style of play that Duke wants to play but you also have to be good. And while the rankings can be off, they are not without meaning.

I do like that he would be a contrasting player to Echenique, Painter or Riley. That way if we were to sign him and one of them we would be more versatile. Regardless, I hope that we two of the four in one shape or form and that which every 2 we sign end up being better than the other 2.

DavidBenAkiva
02-12-2008, 08:28 PM
I know there is already a thread on Plumlee coming to visit Duke tomorrow night for the MD game (Thanks Watzone!), but the way this has progressed made me want to start a new thread.

This whole recruitment seems very strange. I am not trying to be negative or upset, since the kid seems to have a heck of a lot going for him. He's from Indiana - I live in a town a few miles west of Warsaw closer to Chicago - and goes to school in Asheville (where my grandparents live). I've got every reason to root for him, and I sure hope that he makes the right choice by becoming a Blue Devil. (NOTE: I do not have a premium subscription; this is all based on info from free boards and newspaper articles)

What seems strange to me is the timing and the press coverage of this. First, we were only involved with him slightly until Erik Murphy chose Florida. Then he get's our full attention. Coach K and Coach Collins made the trip to Asheville on Monday and offer him after watching practice and a game (I think). I don't recall ever readingCoach K quotes on a recruit in the local paper. He was said to tell Plumlee's HS coach that he looked like Danny Ferry, had the skills to be a national player of the year, and an nba lottery pick one day.

Now, Plumlee is coming to the MD game tomorrow night and another visit later in the month. His HS coach not only said that Plumlee expects to make a decision within a month's time, but he also started a thread on another free-to-access message board about these turn of events. The HS coach is attending the game tomorrow night and seems to be a big Duke fan. This all seems very odd to me. I cannot recall - especially with my limited insight into recruiting and lack of contacts - a recruitment picking up the pace so quickly. Does anyone else think that this is unusual? Can anyone remember a recruitment like this? From what I've read, though, I sure hope he chooses Duke...

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

dkbaseball
02-12-2008, 08:45 PM
It did strike me as a tad odd, especially the part where K is supposed to have said he could build an offense around a player currently averaging 13.6 points per game in high school. But then, part of K's recruiting approach apparently is to share his "vision" for the player down the road, and maybe he does project this kid as a linchpin. Or maybe there's a little bit of embellishment of what K said by the high school coach. In any event, I certainly trust K's quick judgments as much as his more studied ones.

Carlos
02-12-2008, 09:51 PM
Your argument that since he is a different style of player than Echenique, Painter and Riley the rankings are meaningless, however doesn't make much sense. I'm sure that there is some recruit out in Idaho or Montana who has a similar style of play as Singler but isn't fit to carry his jock, should we recruit him simply because he plays a certain style? You have to fit the style of play that Duke wants to play but you also have to be good. And while the rankings can be off, they are not without meaning.

If I had argued that the rankings were meaningless then you would have a point. But I specifically said that you "can't tell everything about recruiting" based on the rankings. Certainly a guy who is a no-star player from anywhere isn't gong to be as effective as the guy ranked 25th in the class. But then, it's doubtful that Duke would be recruiting that guy in the first place.

The point here is that just because one guy is ranked higher than another guy doesn't mean that the lower ranked guy won't be more effective in a particular setting. If you're looking for a guy who can do a certain thing - such as a big man who can hit the outside shot, handle the ball, and pass - it doesn't necessarily mean that a guy is going to be ranked higher than others at his position who may be dominant inside.

Riley is ranked much higher than Plumlee and Murphy but Duke's focus was on Murphy first and then Plumlee to complement Echenique inside because both players have a skill set that the higher ranked Riley does not.

feldspar
02-12-2008, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the heads-up, Wat. I'm pumped about this guy putting on a Duke uni!!

Ignatius07
02-12-2008, 11:16 PM
Riley is ranked much higher than Plumlee and Murphy but Duke's focus was on Murphy first and then Plumlee to complement Echenique inside because both players have a skill set that the higher ranked Riley does not.

Which is why I really hope that we land Echenique, or if we don't, that we have a REALLY solid back-up plan.

vango
02-13-2008, 09:11 AM
Scout has this:

"In-State big forward Mason Plumlee (6'11, 215, PF) has received the Blue Devils' last offer in 2009..."

Is that correct: ".....last offer."

Just curious - I know if someone doesn't sign that scholarship remains and we can offer to someone else but as I understand it from other posts we have/had 4 scholarships to offer and they have been offered to:

Boynton
McDonald
Echenique
Plumlee

I was just thinking we may offer Painter as well and I like that kid. Nevertheless, this is a great class and hopefully after the MD and UNC games we may see some verbals....

Chard
02-13-2008, 11:07 AM
I've seen some video on Plumlee from local broadcasts. I was left with the impression that he is humble and thoughtful. Once I saw the highlights of his game I thought "Wow, he could be a great D-1 prospect". Hearing that Duke offered makes me very happy for him and for Duke. If he signs with UNC I'll puke. I'd really like to see him in a Duke uni. I hope I'm not being "repetative"! :)

BD80
02-13-2008, 11:14 AM
I like when we score a couple athletes from the same family, Battiers, Waners, et al. Kyle's younger brother seems to play a loaded position for us, but seems like he will be recruited at the D1 level.

How about Mason's brother? In the most recent game, as a freshman, he had 6 blocks. Any word?

Hey Crazies, show Mason a great time tonight!!!!

vango
02-13-2008, 11:23 AM
I've seen some video on Plumlee from local broadcasts. I was left with the impression that he is humble and thoughtful. Once I saw the highlights of his game I thought "Wow, he could be a great D-1 prospect". Hearing that Duke offered makes me very happy for him and for Duke. If he signs with UNC I'll puke. I'd really like to see him in a Duke uni. I hope I'm not being "repetative"! :)

I seem to recall an article where despite growing up in Indiana he was also a UNC fan. But, with their influx of post players both for 08/09 and 09/10 (Ed Davis, Tyler Zeller, John Henson, and the Wear brothers) already committed there is next to no room for him and he has not been offered and his interest level is reportedly low (a buddy of mine who is a Carolina fan - hey, there are so many if I didn't I'd have no friends at all - confirms this as accurate to his knowledge).

Maybe somebody out there more in the know can confirm this. One thing is for sure - I'd hate to have the seat behind him at the game tonight....you could miss a lot of the game.... :o

watzone
02-13-2008, 11:32 AM
I seem to recall an article where despite growing up in Indiana he was also a UNC fan. But, with their influx of post players both for 08/09 and 09/10 (Ed Davis, Tyler Zeller, John Henson, and the Wear brothers) already committed there is next to no room for him and he has not been offered and his interest level is reportedly low (a buddy of mine who is a Carolina fan - hey, there are so many if I didn't I'd have no friends at all - confirms this as accurate to his knowledge).

Maybe somebody out there more in the know can confirm this. One thing is for sure - I'd hate to have the seat behind him at the game tonight....you could miss a lot of the game.... :o

He did grow up a UNC fan, but they are out of the race with who they have signed. This is not the first time for a Duke or UNC fan to possibly in his case go to the other school. Mason will be visiting withone of his brothers and his high school coach. So, look for two tall guys crazies! They might be seen around campus as early as 4:00. I talked with his coach yesterday, but must save the positive comments for my members of Blue Devil Nation Premium. FWIW, he will attend the St. Johns game with his parents. Mason led his team in scoring with 14 in their final regular season game last evening. They routed Asheville and start local playoffs this weekend. His coach and Mason are looking foward to today's visit.

vango
02-13-2008, 11:42 AM
He did grow up a UNC fan, but they are out of the race with who they have signed. This is not the first time for a Duke or UNC fan to possibly in his case go to the other school. Mason will be visiting withone of his brothers and his high school coach. So, look for two tall guys crazies! They might be seen around campus as early as 4:00. I talked with his coach yesterday, but must save the positive comments for my members of Blue Devil Nation Premium. FWIW, he will attend the St. Johns game with his parents. Mason led his team in scoring with 14 in their final regular season game last evening. They routed Asheville and start local playoffs this weekend. His coach and Mason are looking foward to today's visit.

Thanks Watzone - enjoy your posts!

BD80
02-13-2008, 01:20 PM
Just want to keep Mason in the minds of the Crazies.

Sounds like his brother Marshall will be with him - he is the freshman playing on the same team - can anyone confirm?

It might be cool for the Crazies to give Mason's brother a cheer, perhaps:

"You are Marshall"

It would be great for us to build some momentum for the 2009 recruiting year, to have our other targets watch the scholarships start to disappear.

watzone
02-13-2008, 03:48 PM
BTW, add Echenique to the list of UNC visitors. That makes Boynton, Ech, McDonald and Williams on the list and don;t be surprised if Plumlee turns up for this one too.

Madrasdukie
02-13-2008, 04:16 PM
BTW, add Echenique to the list of UNC visitors. That makes Boynton, Ech, McDonald and Williams on the list and don;t be surprised if Plumlee turns up for this one too.

And you said they may all announce after the game :) ?

Thanks, again.

SilkyJ
02-13-2008, 05:00 PM
Scout has this:

"In-State big forward Mason Plumlee (6'11, 215, PF) has received the Blue Devils' last offer in 2009..."

Is that correct: ".....last offer."

Just curious - I know if someone doesn't sign that scholarship remains and we can offer to someone else but as I understand it from other posts we have/had 4 scholarships to offer and they have been offered to:

Boynton
McDonald
Echenique
Plumlee

I was just thinking we may offer Painter as well and I like that kid. Nevertheless, this is a great class and hopefully after the MD and UNC games we may see some verbals....

So I had some questions on this in another thread about a month ago and I believe it was Jim Sumner who filled me in. Basically, you are correct in that, minus unforseen/unpredictable transfers/early entries etc. we have 4 scholarship SPOTS available on the team. However, that does NOT mean we can only offer 4 scholarships. We can offer more than 4, probably a lot more, and then its just first come, first serve. Apparently Ol Roy likes to do this.

As Jim basically put it, thats just not Coach K's style. He and the staff very, very meticulously evaluate prospects and decide we exactly we want and we go after them. Its probably as much a "character" thing for Coach K as anything, I mean how do you walk in to a family's home, probably more than once, tell a kid you love him and want him on your team, and then a month later offer a scholarship to someone else and say "OK, well now only one of you can come".

I'm not an expert or program insider, so anyone please correct me if I am wrong on any of this.

Its a pleasure to be living in Watzonia. Thanks for all in the info, bra

BD80
02-13-2008, 05:01 PM
And you said they may all announce after the game :) ?

How about at halftime? Or would that take away from the joy of the 18 point lead?

kramerbr
02-13-2008, 06:28 PM
I like when we score a couple athletes from the same family, Battiers, Waners, et al. Kyle's younger brother seems to play a loaded position for us, but seems like he will be recruited at the D1 level.

How about Mason's brother? In the most recent game, as a freshman, he had 6 blocks. Any word?

Hey Crazies, show Mason a great time tonight!!!!

I could be wrong but I believe Mason has an older brother who is a senior named Miles. He has signed to play at Stanford and is rated the #17 best PF in the class of 2008 according to....

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=2653726

chattpanther
02-13-2008, 06:31 PM
Just want to keep Mason in the minds of the Crazies.

Sounds like his brother Marshall will be with him - he is the freshman playing on the same team - can anyone confirm?

Mason's brother is going to be with them but it is the brother who already signed with Stanford and will be going there next year.

Sorry kramerbr, I posted the same time you did.

mgtr
02-13-2008, 09:22 PM
Looks as though we picked a pretty good game for Plumlee to visit.

norduck
02-13-2008, 09:32 PM
Looks as though we picked a pretty good game for Plumlee to visit.

Did the crazies acknowledge him? Thought I heard a Mason Plumlee chant near the end of the game.

gofurman
02-13-2008, 09:46 PM
Did the crazies acknowledge him? Thought I heard a Mason Plumlee chant near the end of the game.

Did they chant it? I tried to pick one up but didn't hear it ?

theman5207
02-13-2008, 09:51 PM
They did. MA-SON PLUM-LEE.

365Duke
02-13-2008, 10:08 PM
They did. MA-SON PLUM-LEE.

COME TO DUKE!

mehmattski
02-13-2008, 10:15 PM
There were multiple chants for Plumlee, including some immediately after he took his seat during warmups. He waved at the crowd, which got an ovation. The undergrads then cheered "Mason Plumlee, sit with us!" and Mason smiled but did not oblige.

watzone
02-14-2008, 02:12 AM
I interviewd both Plumlee and his high school coach after the game and can tell you that the visit went very well.

Lulu
02-14-2008, 06:15 AM
Can we get any more details on Plumlee's thoughts after the game or is this some kind of secret?

02-14-2008, 07:21 AM
You'll have to pay watzone for the full info. He only drops hints here.

ugadevil
02-14-2008, 09:14 AM
Sometimes I read the threads here on recruiting, but that's about as much as I follow it. It becomes difficult to wade through the people saying the person will be an All-American compared to those that say he'll transfer after one year of not playing.

To me, it seems like we always have a great chance of landing recruits because we do our best to make them feel welcome in Cameron (Crazies making cheers and stuff). However, I was wondering if this is something that's regularly done at most big universities with good student sections? Do other schools have people like Watzone who let them know when recruits will be making visits for games?

kydevil
02-14-2008, 10:36 AM
Sometimes I read the threads here on recruiting, but that's about as much as I follow it. It becomes difficult to wade through the people saying the person will be an All-American compared to those that say he'll transfer after one year of not playing.

To me, it seems like we always have a great chance of landing recruits because we do our best to make them feel welcome in Cameron (Crazies making cheers and stuff). However, I was wondering if this is something that's regularly done at most big universities with good student sections? Do other schools have people like Watzone who let them know when recruits will be making visits for games?

As far as I know other schools chant and welcome recruits too. I recall when UCLA was recruiting both singler and love some very good looking girls made shirts that said Single and looking for some Love. Thought it was pretty creative.

dukemomLA
02-15-2008, 12:44 AM
Mason Plumlee (and his parents) will once again visit Duke and be there for the St. John's game. SO COME ON CRAZIES!!! Show some love. Come up with some cool cheers and signs. This guy would be crazy (...and not Cameron Crazy) to go anywhere else. Let him know we mean to have him here. Mason, come on down!!

kramerbr
02-15-2008, 09:07 AM
I find it interesting after reading in several articles that Mason grew up as a big UNC fan. They recruited him but did not offer. If he were to sign with Duke, that could be a huge motivational factor for him to play in the same conference and against UNC twice a year.

devilish
02-15-2008, 09:23 AM
I find it interesting after reading in several articles that Mason grew up as a big UNC fan. They recruited him but did not offer. If he were to sign with Duke, that could be a huge motivational factor for him to play in the same conference and against UNC twice a year.

Wasn't that the case with Jason Williams? Or was it someone else? My brain is moving a little slow this morning. Must have done a lot of damage last night trying to watch the State/BC game.

loran16
02-15-2008, 09:26 AM
if plumlee is a 4 star, any clue why scout has him listed as NR (not rated?)

I mean they have the stars, but not a # for him. Just seems weird.

yancem
02-15-2008, 09:30 AM
Wasn't that the case with Jason Williams? Or was it someone else? My brain is moving a little slow this morning. Must have done a lot of damage last night trying to watch the State/BC game.

I believe that Hurley falls into that category as well. He wanted to go to UNC but they were still holding out hope that they could land Kenny Anderson. Pretty much the best possible situation in that case. We got Hurley who went on to lead us to 2 NC's and set the ncaa career assist record and UNC missed out on Anderson. What a beautiful thing!

Bob Green
02-15-2008, 09:34 AM
if plumlee is a 4 star, any clue why scout has him listed as NR (not rated?)

I mean they have the stars, but not a # for him. Just seems weird.

Scout lists Mason Plumlee as the # 39 player (http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&pid=88&yr=2009)in the Class of 2009 in their Top 100 section.

The larger websites do not do a great job of updating old pages. Apparently Plumlee's profile page has not been updated since he was NR.

Scout also lists Plumlee as 6'11" 210 pounds, but I recently read in the Asheville paper (online edition) where he has gained 20 pounds since last year.

OldPhiKap
02-15-2008, 09:41 AM
I believe that Hurley falls into that category as well. He wanted to go to UNC but they were still holding out hope that they could land Kenny Anderson. Pretty much the best possible situation in that case. We got Hurley who went on to lead us to 2 NC's and set the ncaa career assist record and UNC missed out on Anderson. What a beautiful thing!

Hurley visited Duke and UNC, and asked both coaches whether they would stop recruiting other pg's if he committed. K said yes. Dean (being honest) said that he was also recruiting Anderson. Hurley chose Duke.

I seem to recall that Grant was a big UNC fan as a kid, too.

dukelifer
02-15-2008, 09:54 AM
Hurley visited Duke and UNC, and asked both coaches whether they would stop recruiting other pg's if he committed. K said yes. Dean (being honest) said that he was also recruiting Anderson. Hurley chose Duke.

I seem to recall that Grant was a big UNC fan as a kid, too.

Yes- Hill wanted to go to UNC- his Mom wanted him to go to Duke. Mom won- and so did Duke. Without Hill, Duke might still be chasing a NC and UNC might have had 3 more. We owe Mrs. Hill a lot for that one.

OldPhiKap
02-15-2008, 09:57 AM
Yes- Hill wanted to go to UNC- his Mom wanted him to go to Duke. Mom won- and so did Duke. Without Hill, Duke might still be chasing a NC and UNC might have had 3 more. We owe Mrs. Hill a lot for that one.

Agreed.

And Mason, if you're out there, you can see what great company you would be in by coming on over to Duke!

Devilsfan
02-15-2008, 10:51 AM
What about the other three offers for players ranked above him? He better not wait too long.

jimsumner
02-15-2008, 11:01 AM
The scholarship offer is unconditional. Duke expects to sign four players from the class of '09.

Scorp4me
02-15-2008, 11:30 AM
6'1"' but not a center and doesn't want to play the low post. I got no problem with that, but why am I not surprised we are recruiting him. Seems that's the only kind of big guys we recruit these days unless they are projects. I'm sure it's just my perception, but :confused:

OldPhiKap
02-15-2008, 11:41 AM
There is a link to the most recent Mummy article on the front page which may assuage your concerns. Sounds like a good fit.

mapei
02-15-2008, 01:13 PM
As an Asheville native, I'm rooting big for Mason to come to Duke, in part to shut up the snickering you guys couldn't resist when Rashad was playing at UNC. ;)

Duvall
02-15-2008, 01:19 PM
As an Asheville native, I'm rooting big for Mason to come to Duke, in part to shut up the snickering you guys couldn't resist when Rashad was playing at UNC. ;)

Sorry, but Asheville would still have a long way to go to make for producing Roy.

mapei
02-15-2008, 01:24 PM
Roy is from Swannanoa, just to the east, not Asheville itself.

SMO
02-15-2008, 01:28 PM
6'1"' but not a center and doesn't want to play the low post. I got no problem with that, but why am I not surprised we are recruiting him. Seems that's the only kind of big guys we recruit these days unless they are projects. I'm sure it's just my perception, but :confused:

It's working pretty well this year isn't it? While it would be nice to have a Brand or Boozer (are there any really out there?) type guy coming in I think we should be pleased to get skilled, complete-player type big men. They fit the Duke system and the system is working very well.

VaDukie
02-15-2008, 03:06 PM

I thought that the story was Dad wanted him to go to Chapel Hill (athletics), Mom wanted Georgetown (academics), and Duke was perfectly in the middle (athletics + academics). Anyone else know how it happened?

Either way, it's hard to imagine Duke Basketball without Grant Hill.

wisteria
02-15-2008, 03:48 PM
I thought that the story was Dad wanted him to go to Chapel Hill (athletics), Mom wanted Georgetown (academics), and Duke was perfectly in the middle (athletics + academics). Anyone else know how it happened?

Yeah, I think your description is right. Grant sort of chose the middle road.

SilkyJ
02-15-2008, 04:02 PM
I could be wrong but I believe Mason has an older brother who is a senior named Miles. He has signed to play at Stanford and is rated the #17 best PF in the class of 2008 according to....

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=2653726

that sounds right to me

What about the other three offers for players ranked above him? He better not wait too long.

Huh? We have four slots available and have offered four players. If the other 3 sign 1st he can still sign. So what are you talking about?

I kinda know what you mean, but its not really true. We recruited Brandan Wright, and Patrick Patterson, the latter of which is a true low post banger. we just happened to miss on those guys.

Also, we are recruiting Greg Echenique (sp?) who is another pure college 5, back to the basket, low post banger...Olek also seems to be a bit of banger, though he is smaller.

Capn Poptart
02-15-2008, 05:57 PM
It'll be fun to watch his conversion. From a cult of superstition and graven idols to the one-true faith.

Converts are always more rabid.

Ignatius07
02-15-2008, 05:58 PM
We recruited Brandan Wright, and Patrick Patterson, the latter of which is a true low post banger.

Patterson does seem to epitomize low-post banger, yet he made that infamous comment that he did not want to be "chained to the post." Puzzling beyond description.

jimsumner
02-15-2008, 06:15 PM
FWIW, I asked Grant what his favorite team was growing up. He answered Georgetown. Interestingly enough, Danny Ferry told me the same thing.

Travis
02-15-2008, 07:15 PM
FWIW, I asked Grant what his favorite team was growing up. He answered Georgetown. Interestingly enough, Danny Ferry told me the same thing.

As someone who was in between those two, it is not too surprising. When I first started watching basketball Patrick Ewing was the top recruit. I followed him and therefore became a fan of Georgetown. They were fun to watch and were on tv a lot. That time was the heyday of the Big East to me.

My transition to a better form of fandom was eased by the fact that I developed a loathing for UNC after they beat the Hoyas in the championship. I wonder if Danny and Grant had a similar early introduction into loathing baby blue?

Travis

grossbus
02-15-2008, 08:55 PM
"Patterson does seem to epitomize low-post banger, yet he made that infamous comment that he did not want to be "chained to the post." Puzzling beyond description."

might be chained to the NIT now.

dukelifer
02-15-2008, 08:59 PM
I misremembered the story. Hill's Mom wanted him to go to Georgetown and his Dad wanted to go to UNC. Grant made up his own mind to attend Duke after meeting K. So in the end- we have Grant to thank for making the right choice and not listening to his parents :o

MChambers
02-15-2008, 09:07 PM
I misremembered the story. Hill's Mom wanted him to go to Georgetown and his Dad wanted to go to UNC. Grant made up his own mind to attend Duke after meeting K. So in the end- we have Grant to thank for making the right choice and not listening to his parents :o

I remember Tony Kornheiser writing in the Washington Post that if Grant had gone to a Big East school they would have had him gain 30 pounds and learn how to give a foul.

Buckeye Devil
02-15-2008, 10:29 PM
With the recent news about Kelvin Sampson's NCAA violations, maybe that will be one less contender. I hope that Indiana gets hammered with some strong sanctions by the NCAA. They should have known what they were getting with Sampson. While I am not a huge Bob Knight fan, there was not even a sniff of impropriety that I can recall while he was at IU.

duketaylor
02-15-2008, 11:24 PM
Also note, IIRC, Mason Plumlee is originally from Indiana and IU's on his list. Very interesting, IMO.

Bob Green
02-15-2008, 11:38 PM

Hopefully I'm not being too obnoxious here, but seeing as I've been watching Duke since the 60s, it's easy to imagine Duke basketball without Grant Hill. However, Duke basketball with Grant Hill was definitely very special!

yancem
02-16-2008, 11:00 AM
Does anyone have any information on the recruiting process for Plumlee? I never heard his name come up with regard to Duke until last week. If K thinks that he is a potential lottery pick and that he could build an offense around him, why didn't we hear about him sooner? I'm sure he would be a good fit and a solid contributer to the team, it just seems strange to me that we didn't hear about him earlier in the recruiting process.

Devilsfan
02-16-2008, 11:06 AM
Seems like "coach speak" to me.

kramerbr
02-16-2008, 11:30 AM
Does anyone have any information on the recruiting process for Plumlee? I never heard his name come up with regard to Duke until last week. If K thinks that he is a potential lottery pick and that he could build an offense around him, why didn't we hear about him sooner? I'm sure he would be a good fit and a solid contributer to the team, it just seems strange to me that we didn't hear about him earlier in the recruiting process.

I'm by no means an expert, but there are a few things I've noticed about the recruiting of Mason Plumlee. First, Duke had been recruiting Murphy until he signed with Florida (who has a very similar style of play to Plumlee). Next, UNC was recruiting Plumlee so I'm sure Duke was aware of his abilities, and once UNC got committments from 3 players who are very similar to Plumlee as well, then all of the sudden a skilled big man who grew up as a UNC fan is now an option. I am also pretty sure we would see the same thing happen as far as another recruit popping up on the radar if you were to see one of the four that Duke has offered sign with someone else.

Devilsfan
02-16-2008, 11:45 AM
Obviously Plumlee was well down the list for UNC, as they signed multiple players in place of him. Who knows maybe Florida and UNC are wrong and we get a "diamond in the rough". Hope so.

Ignatius07
02-16-2008, 12:37 PM
He's ranked somewhere like #39 on Scout, and has offers from several very good schools. I don't think Plumlee counts as a "diamond in the rough."

norduck
02-17-2008, 07:58 AM
http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080217/SPORTS0202/80216030/1002/SPORTS

billybreen
02-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Plumlee reiterated Friday that a commitment to Duke, or any other school, is not imminent.

It could happen as soon as next weekend, the Winona Lake, Ind., native said

Does imminent not mean what I think it means? Next weekend sounds pretty imminent to me.

watzone
02-17-2008, 01:40 PM
Obviously Plumlee was well down the list for UNC, as they signed multiple players in place of him. Who knows maybe Florida and UNC are wrong and we get a "diamond in the rough". Hope so.

That's not true. When they signed one Wear, they got two Wears. One coach told me, "the good thing is that you get one of them. the bad thing is you get both of them."

(The Wears are twin towers)

yancem
02-17-2008, 02:40 PM
That's not true. When they signed one Wear, they got two Wears. One coach told me, "the good thing is that you get one of them. the bad thing is you get both of them."

(The Wears are twin towers)

The other thing is do we know if Plumlee had been offered a scholarship? It could be that he was but it was a first come first serve type of thing. I don't have any knowledge about his situation but I'm pretty sure that Williams has used the strategy of offering scholarships to a couple of recruits and the first one to accept get the scholarship.

novablue4
02-17-2008, 05:13 PM

I remember Ferry. He even came out in the Washington Post to proclaim he would zero problem with being the only white kid on an all black team. I think there was some issue with GT Jr. and DeMatha, I don't think he ever offered a DeMatha player.

watzone
02-22-2008, 03:18 PM
...cheer sheet for the St. John's game. He will be visiting with his parents.

Mason Plumlee (http://myblogdevils.eponym.com/blog/_archives/2008/2/21/3537981.html)

SilkyJ
02-22-2008, 05:02 PM

Mason Plumlee (http://myblogdevils.eponym.com/blog/_archives/2008/2/21/3537981.html)

Thanks wiggity wat.

I forwarded your message to the line monitors.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-22-2008, 05:11 PM
Thanks wiggity wat.

wiggity wat? Jeez, where'd you come up with that?

BD80
02-22-2008, 05:13 PM

WOW. This is cool. Weren't they planning on coming for the UNC game? Does this signify a change in plans? I would think it is a good sign for Duke, particularly with the turmoil at Indiana right now.

Thanks for the info Watzone.

duketaylor
02-22-2008, 05:28 PM
The carolina game will have several recruits in, including Elliott Williams (commit) and many 09 wants.

Magnolia888
02-22-2008, 05:44 PM
This must be a good sign, right? Didn't he just make a visit recently?

I hope we play a little better than we have in the last two games. :o

SilkyJ
02-22-2008, 06:24 PM
wiggity wat? Jeez, where'd you come up with that?

Haha. I dont know what it is about "watzone" but that nickname just makes me want to make more crazy nicknames out of it. like watzonia. i don't know, I guess I'm just strange (and I like making funny nicknames....)

watzone
02-22-2008, 09:20 PM
Haha. I dont know what it is about "watzone" but that nickname just makes me want to make more crazy nicknames out of it. like watzonia. i don't know, I guess I'm just strange (and I like making funny nicknames....)

What zone? It is kinda silly sounding, isn't it.

Mason led his team to a win tonight and will play in tomorrows state final in Raleigh at noon. He will then make it over to Cameron.

dcarp23
02-27-2008, 11:28 AM
http://duke.scout.com/

CameronBornAndBred
02-27-2008, 11:32 AM
Wooohooo! Will be nice for Zoub's senior year to have two towers underneath.

jlear
02-27-2008, 11:34 AM
Sweet.

Stray Gator
02-27-2008, 11:34 AM
Terrific news! Welcome aboard to Mason and the Plumlee family!

mgtr
02-27-2008, 11:37 AM
This is wonderful news! Welcome to Duke, Mr. Plumlee, we're delighted to have you aboard.

OldPhiKap
02-27-2008, 11:38 AM
Welcome, Mason!

Dukerati
02-27-2008, 11:58 AM
Hooray for tall people! If Mason has indeed committed to Duke, he can expect a 10-12 spot jump in the "recruit rankings" and my gratitude. Great to have ya, Mason!

dukemomLA
02-27-2008, 12:00 PM
You east coast folk have a 3 hour jump on me! Turned on my computer this morning to an email from scout.com.

WELCOME MASON. This is thrilling.

Dear Mr. & Mrs. Plumlee,

Hey there, Mom and Dad
Mason's gonna be a DUKE grad.

DukeBlood
02-27-2008, 12:05 PM
Very happy for him to be on board.

Can anyone give me a decent scouting report on him? My knowledge of this kid is very limited. Thanks for all your help.

Anyway, Hopefully this starts a landslide for other recruits. Boynton, Echenique and McDonald(or Hall) should follow his steps as well.

watzone
02-27-2008, 12:06 PM
Mason is a great kid from a great family. He has really nice skills. He made the call to Coach K on Monday night and said his decision was easy.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
02-27-2008, 12:10 PM
Welcome to Duke, Mason. With your skills on the court and in the classroom I know you'll make Duke very proud.

VaDukie
02-27-2008, 12:22 PM
So who knows something about Mason that we can't read on Rivals/Scout? It's certainly good to get another guy in the truck, and he'll have his freshmen year to get seasoned while Z/LT are seniors.

Let's keep the ball rolling: Kenny, Leslie, Greg...COME ON DOWN!!!

SilkyJ
02-27-2008, 12:25 PM
woohoo!

When I went to scout.com 2 seconds ago I noticed on the front page right below the Mason feature on the top left, something called "the war room" and it said there are several rumors involving the blue devils. can anyone provide any insight as to what these might be, even if it comes with the obvious caveat that it is probably speculation...

JasonEvans
02-27-2008, 12:48 PM
I have not seen Mason play, but have read several articles about him.

It is worth noting that he is the middle of 3 brothers all of whom are excellent basketball players.

Miles, the oldest, is a current senior in high school and will be attending Stanford next year. He also had offers from Vandy, Virginia, and Indiana. Miles is 6-9 or 6-10 and a post player.

Marshall, the youngest, is a freshman in high school. He stands 6-8 and it is just too early to know how good a player he will be.

Mason is the tallest, at 6-10 or 6-11, and he is regarded as a better prospect than his older brother. Mason is highly skilled for a player his size. More than a few folks have commented that one thing that sold him on Duke was the way Duke uses Kyle Singler inside and out. Mason is so skilled with the ball in his hands that his coach at Christ School in Arden, NC actually uses Mason as the team's PG at times. Arden, by the way, just won its second straight state title thanks in large part to the Plumlee brothers.

So, if you are looking for a back-to-the-basket banger inside, sorta another Shelden Williams, then Mason Plumlee is not your man. He is however, an extremely skilled big man in the mold of so many Dukies like Singler, Laettner, Ferry, Alarie, and several others. This is not to say that we should compare him to any of these guys, but it should give you a bit of an idea of how Duke may try to use his prodigous skills on offense. He has a rep as a very solid defensive player inside and a tough rebounder. He really excelled in AAU play over last summer and his stock is said to be on the rise (even before Duke got involved).

We are fortunate to get this kid. I often find that looking at which other schools were recruiting a kid can help you see how he is regarded by the folks who matter--coaches. Mason had scholarship offers from Georgetown, UCLA, Stanford, Indiana, Louisville, and several others.

Hope this info helps.

--Jason "sweet start to what should be a huge haul for Duke in 2009" Evans

JasonEvans
02-27-2008, 12:50 PM
http://cmsimg.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=B0&Date=20071118&Category=SPORTS0202&ArtNo=71117100&Ref=AR&Profile=1002&maxW=800&maxH=600&title=2
From left: Marshall, Mason, and Miles Plumlee.

--Jason "got that photo from this article (http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071118/SPORTS0202/71117100/1002/SPORTS)" Evans

freedevil
02-27-2008, 12:51 PM
This is pretty exciting. I like it. Go Duke!!!!

DukeBlood
02-27-2008, 01:02 PM

It is worth noting that he is the middle of 3 brothers all of whom are excellent basketball players.

Miles, the oldest, is a current senior in high school and will be attending Stanford next year. He also had offers from Vandy, Virginia, and Indiana. Miles is 6-9 or 6-10 and a post player.

Marshall, the youngest, is a freshman in high school. He stands 6-8 and it is just too early to know how good a player he will be.

Mason is the tallest, at 6-10 or 6-11, and he is regarded as a better prospect than his older brother. Mason is highly skilled for a player his size. More than a few folks have commented that one thing that sold him on Duke was the way Duke uses Kyle Singler inside and out. Mason is so skilled with the ball in his hands that his coach at Christ School in Arden, NC actually uses Mason as the team's PG at times. Arden, by the way, just won its second straight state title thanks in large part to the Plumlee brothers.

So, if you are looking for a back-to-the-basket banger inside, sorta another Shelden Williams, then Mason Plumlee is not your man. He is however, an extremely skilled big man in the mold of so many Dukies like Singler, Laettner, Ferry, Alarie, and several others. This is not to say that we should compare him to any of these guys, but it should give you a bit of an idea of how Duke may try to use his prodigous skills on offense. He has a rep as a very solid defensive player inside and a tough rebounder. He really excelled in AAU play over last summer and his stock is said to be on the rise (even before Duke got involved).

We are fortunate to get this kid. I often find that looking at which other schools were recruiting a kid can help you see how he is regarded by the folks who matter--coaches. Mason had scholarship offers from Georgetown, UCLA, Stanford, Indiana, Louisville, and several others.

Hope this info helps.

Thanks! That gives me a pretty good idea what to expect out of him. Kind of the scouting report I was looking for.

So basically. Great feel for the game, just "gets it", handles the ball well, rebounds, plays D.. etc,.. Sounds like a special kid.

TwoDukeTattoos
02-27-2008, 01:06 PM
http://duke.scout.com/

This is awesome news! The train roars on!!!

watzone
02-27-2008, 01:10 PM
Correction. He called Coach K on Tuesday.

Here is a picture I took of his whole family with the state championship trophy this past Saturday (http://myblogdevils.eponym.com/blog/mp/_archives/2008/2/24/3543610.html)

The quote from his high school coach says it all (http://myblogdevils.eponym.com/blog)

watzone
02-27-2008, 01:14 PM
woohoo!

When I went to scout.com 2 seconds ago I noticed on the front page right below the Mason feature on the top left, something called "the war room" and it said there are several rumors involving the blue devils. can anyone provide any insight as to what these might be, even if it comes with the obvious caveat that it is probably speculation...

Yeah. They're days behind the BDN;) Telep is the national guy for Scout. The Plumlee's have been bugged a lot and went with Dave alone for the announcement. Still, others knew but couldn't compromise themselves by putting it put other than they were 98% sure Mason would commit to Duke. So, Scout broke it to the public, not TDD. The BDN deals in facts, not rumors;)

wojcol
02-27-2008, 01:44 PM
correct some sites were asked to hold the news in respect to Mason and his family. They wanted to announce it on the kids terms as well they should. I am just glad Duke got the kid.

roywhite
02-27-2008, 01:47 PM
Plumlee continues an interesting recent trend of Duke players coming from private schools:

McClure Trinity Catholic
G Henderon Episcopal Academy
Taylor King Mater Dei
Greg Paulus Christian Bros
Marty P. Holderness School
Nolan Smith Oak Hill
Lance Thomas St. Benedicts Prep
E Williams St. Georges School

More compatible with Duke and academics?

yancem
02-27-2008, 01:56 PM
Let's just hope that the lack of interest from UNC places a large chip on his shoulders when we play them! Let's also hope he just the first of 4 dominos to fall!

GHTC!!!!!

jimbonelson
02-27-2008, 01:56 PM
This Is Great News

AtlDuke72
02-27-2008, 02:03 PM
This Is Great News

It is great news, especially since some people on this Board seemed to think all the tall guys were already taken. Echenique would be a great match for Plumlee!

Tommac
02-27-2008, 02:07 PM
Great to see Duke do well in landing an in-state recruit. In the long run, it helps to generate more pro-Duke sentiment among the NC locals.

SilkyJ
02-27-2008, 02:08 PM

Such a great point, Jason. There are so many guys ranked in the 50-100 range who become lottery picks and so many McD's who never make it off the bench in college that looking at what great coaches think of a player really gives a much better idea as to how good he is/can be (as opposed to "guru" rankings...)

Yeah. They're days behind the BDN;) Telep is the national guy for Scout. The Plumlee's have been bugged a lot and went with Dave alone for the announcement. Still, others knew but couldn't compromise themselves by putting it put other than they were 98% sure Mason would commit to Duke. So, Scout broke it to the public, not TDD. The BDN deals in facts, not rumors;)

OK. To clarify, he "rumors" that were being referred to on Scout/TDD are just prior rumors about Mason that are no longer relevant b/c the official news has been broken?

Chard
02-27-2008, 02:12 PM
Awesome! Now the local rag will have to cover his days at Duke. I suffered through the McCants years. The sports section is pro UNC enough as it is but that time frame was brutal.

Jumbo
02-27-2008, 02:14 PM
Plumlee continues an interesting recent trend of Duke players coming from private schools:

McClure Trinity Catholic
Taylor King Mater Dei
Nolan Smith Oak Hill

How is this different from other colleges?

billybreen
02-27-2008, 02:17 PM
Huzzah for 4 syllable names.

DukeDevilsBB
02-27-2008, 02:18 PM
correct some sites were asked to hold the news in respect to Mason and his family. They wanted to announce it on the kids terms as well they should. I am just glad Duke got the kid.

All indications were that Duke's chances were favorable and that is exactly what info was passed along until the deal was done. TDD is a part of scout who reported what information they had directly from Mason himself...it is no coincidence that the person who runs TDD was chosen by the network to be their affiliate. His info is as good as it gets and he deals strictly in facts as opposed to rumors.

The "rumors" that someone alluded to earlier were simply an explanation of why one recruit cancelled his upcoming visit to Duke.

Madrasdukie
02-27-2008, 02:18 PM

Hope this info helps.

Thanks for the report. A big man who played PG at times, tough rebounder, and good defensive player - sounds awesome!

Ignatius07
02-27-2008, 02:36 PM
I think Mason's actually from Indiana - he just goes to school in North Carolina. Just like how Nolan Smith is from Maryland but went to school in Virginia. Smith is listed as from Maryland by Duke - so basically I don't think Plumlee really counts as a North Carolina guy.

Mike Corey
02-27-2008, 02:42 PM
I think Mason's actually from Indiana - he just goes to school in North Carolina. Just like how Nolan Smith is from Maryland but went to school in Virginia. Smith is listed as from Maryland by Duke - so basically I don't think Plumlee really counts as a North Carolina guy.

Correctamundo.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-27-2008, 02:44 PM
Welcome Mason and family! You're in for a wonderful lifelong journey!

DevilCastDownfromDurham
02-27-2008, 02:45 PM

Yeah, the scout report lists him as from Warsaw, IN. When I first saw that I did a double-take and said "Wow another Polish kid!"

Devilsfan
02-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Smart Kid! Hope he exhibits the same intelligence with his on court decission making.

Blueequalslife23
02-27-2008, 03:37 PM
Great news on Mason Plumlee!! Kenny Boynton be next!!!! For North Carolina starting early with good recruits lets hope Duke makes a big push and have a even better class.

09 class
Mason Plumlee, Leslie Mcdonald, Kenny Hall, KENNY BOYNTON!

Ignatius07
02-27-2008, 03:38 PM
09 class

Have you given up on Greg Echenique so quickly?

DukeBlood
02-27-2008, 03:42 PM
Great news on Mason Plumlee!! Kenny Boynton be next!!!! For North Carolina starting early with good recruits lets hope Duke makes a big push and have a even better class.

09 class

Where's Greg Echenique? Or you would rather have Hall over Echenique?

Be patient though, great things take time. I am no ways a "recruiting expert". However we have alot of good things going on. Boynton has already said he is impressed with Duke and happen ot be the favorite. McDonald is a little tougher, but one of his better friends is also a Dukie(Elliot Williams), so it cant hurt.

Dont know much about Hall or Echenique except I have read that they have both been impressed with Duke.

Blueequalslife23
02-27-2008, 03:49 PM
no i havn't given up on him. I watched his game on espn U and wasn't that impress but that's my own opinion plus i think he is hinting to Miami. If he does commit that is great he just really needs to get in shape. And i know with coach K that would happen

SilkyJ
02-27-2008, 03:58 PM
Huzzah for 4 syllable names.

Huzzah!

MA-SON PLUM-LEE! WEL-COME TO DUKE!

The "rumors" that someone alluded to earlier were simply an explanation of why one recruit cancelled his upcoming visit to Duke.

I don't want to steal anyone's milk money, to use watman's phrase, but can you give any info as to who the recruit was/why he cancelled/etc. Any info is appreciated.

NYC Duke Fan
02-27-2008, 04:00 PM

McClure Trinity Catholic
Taylor King Mater Dei
Nolan Smith Oak Hill

I don't know anything about the academics of the schools listed above except that students going to Oak Hill are not to be confused with students at Andover or Exeter

soccerstud2210
02-27-2008, 04:06 PM
has anyone heard anything or know anything about JOHN RIEK?

VaDukie
02-27-2008, 04:12 PM

Last I heard he was skipping college altogether and heading straight for the draft; he's old enough so he wouldn't be bothered by the age limit.

-jk
02-27-2008, 04:18 PM

In the upper, right portion of the forum (when you're viewing the thread list), there's a Search this Forum option, and in the bbs menu at the top is a general bbs search. If you search either for Riek, you'll find several threads, including one entitled John Riek.

-jk

soccerstud2210
02-27-2008, 04:22 PM
oh...cool ... thanks... i am very new at this

yancem
02-27-2008, 04:24 PM

He may originally be from Indiana but I have read in a couple of articles that he grew up a UNC fan and was very interested in their program.

365Duke
02-27-2008, 04:26 PM
He may originally be from Indians but I have read in a couple of articles that he grew up a UNC fan and was very interested in their program.

thats funny:D

yancem
02-27-2008, 04:32 PM

No offense soccerstud, but is anyone else getting tired of this name being brought up. It seems like every couple of weeks someone dredges out from some recruiting site and is curious why Duke isn't recruiting him harder.

He has been discussed in several therads. He will be elegible for the draft this year because he's 5th year prep student and meets the age requirement. He's really big and athletic but apparently a bit raw skills wise. From the accounts I've read, he isn't really ready for the nba (or maybe even big time ncaa). My guess is that he's considering entering the draft because he either a) wants to get the money now or b) is afraid that college will expose his weaknesses and lower his draft potential.

Anyway you look at it no one seems to think that Duke is interested in him as a recruit.

yancem
02-27-2008, 04:33 PM
thats funny:D

Oops, must have slipped on the keyboard!

DukeDevilsBB
02-27-2008, 04:37 PM
I don't want to steal anyone's milk money, to use watman's phrase, but can you give any info as to who the recruit was/why he cancelled/etc. Any info is appreciated.

Since the info has already been posted in other free forums I have no problem elaborating. McDonald will likely not be making a visit to the Duke/UNC game due to the fact that he is "slowing down his recruitment"...This goes for all schools he is being recruited by from what I understand.

monkey
02-27-2008, 04:38 PM

McClure Trinity Catholic
Taylor King Mater Dei
Nolan Smith Oak Hill

Or maybe its just cuz Duke is all preppies....;)

DukeBlood
02-27-2008, 04:47 PM
Since the info has already been posted in other free forums I have no problem elaborating. McDonald will likely not be making a visit to the Duke/UNC game due to the fact that he is "slowing down his recruitment"...This goes for all schools he is being recruited by from what I understand.

Woah. Cannot say I expected anything like that. Can you comment any further as to why? Or perhaps is Duke the leader? Just curious.

Anyway, thanks for sharing that.

FreezingDevil
02-27-2008, 05:14 PM

I can sympathize with McDonald's situation. After all, he is just a teenage kid with a lot of pressure on him. I think its perfectly reasonable for him to take a step back and slow tings down. Nevertheless, if I were McDonald, I would find it mighty hard to turn down the chance to see a Duke-UNC game in Cameron. Regardless of where he might be leaning towards, the opportunity to see such a game is an incredibly rare opportunity. Of course, he will have many more opportunities if he comes to Duke!

ps. to echo some previous sentiments: Welcome to Duke Mason!!!

yancem
02-27-2008, 05:20 PM
I can sympathize with McDonald's situation. After all, he is just a teenage kid with a lot of pressure on him. I think its perfectly reasonable for him to take a step back and slow tings down. Nevertheless, if I were McDonald, I would find it mighty hard to turn down the chance to see a Duke-UNC game in Cameron. Regardless of where he might be leaning towards, the opportunity to see such a game is an incredibly rare opportunity. Of course, he will have many more opportunities if he comes to Duke!

ps. to echo some previous sentiments: Welcome to Duke Mason!!!

I was thinking the same thing. A chance to watch Duke vs UNC in Cameron is rare chance indeed. I would have a hard time passing on a offer like that but then again, I'm a life long Duke fan and can't imaging turning down a basketball scholarship to play for Coach K. Guess I have too biased of an opinion.

pamtar
02-27-2008, 05:23 PM
Great news! Made my rush hour! (I would say it made my day but we play at nine so...)

Ignatius07
02-27-2008, 05:30 PM
A ticket to Cameron for a Duke-UNC game is a big draw for Duke recruiting - hopefully we can really wow him in other aspects.

watzone
02-27-2008, 06:34 PM
You guys have to keep in mind that McDonald and other shave to pay for unofficial visits. It's not a big red flag that he cancelled. Recruiting types were pounding his parents phone and it got to them.

dukie8
02-27-2008, 06:39 PM
does this mean that we no longer will have an endless run of "k doesn't or can't recruit big men" threads?

ugadevil
02-27-2008, 06:41 PM
does this mean that we no longer will have an endless run of "k doesn't or can't recruit big men" threads?

I'm sure that's just wishful thinking. Over under on how many games Mason gets to play before people talk about how we need to bulk him up and use him as a strong body under the basket?

Ignatius07
02-27-2008, 07:03 PM
Well, he does have to get bigger than he is now. If nothing else, he'll be playing defense in the post.

yancem
02-27-2008, 07:07 PM

I doubt it because Plumlee doesn't seem to be the big burly low post banger type. Not that I'm complaining, because I'm not. I'm very excited that he chose Duke but the group that seem to think that K can't recruit big men seem to think that you can't win a championship with out a Shelden/Boozer/Brand type of player. So those threads won't truly stop unless we sign Echenique, Painter, Riley or Hall.

watzone
02-27-2008, 07:10 PM
TDD is a part of scout who reported what information they had directly from Mason himself...it is no coincidence that the person who runs TDD was chosen by the network to be their affiliate. His info is as good as it gets and he deals strictly in facts as opposed to rumors.

As good as it gets? With all due respect, my members say different. TDD leans on Dave Telep while other sites lean on nobody. Dave is the recruiting coordinator at Scout and has numerous sources, but he mainly works it in person developing relationships along the way. Take away him and you take away the Plumlee information and so much more, period. I respect Dave a lot. I see him working out there when I am working. He went to see the Plumlee kids just as I did. He talked to the Plumlees just as I did. He talked to his coach, just as I did. IOW, he worked it! The guy who runs or manages TDD cannot say that about himself. The TDD site owner is a pretty good guy, but there has to be a reason why my site continues to grow and my members all talk of what they had been missing having been a member of said site. Don't get me wrong - a recruiting data base is a nice feature and being able to lean on an entire network has it's perks. But if you are talking basketball coverage, it is simply not true that the information is as good as it gets and I challenge anybody to take that sample test. I get all my information direct, generally first and never ever borrowed after the fact;) So, TDD may be good thanks to Telep and others who are leaned upon, but you can certainly argue against it being called good as it gets.

Back to Mason Plumlee. In a conversation I just had with him, he stated that he would step back from interviews and would concentrate on his schoolwork from here on out. His family is very happy to be a part of the Duke family, Mason will return home in March and play for Indiana Elite during the summer.

"I didn't like Duke very much growing up but when I met Coach K that all changed"

"In meeting with Coach K and talking to the staff it made it easier to make a quicker decision. At the end of the day it was my decison, but I don't think I would have commited so soon had my family not had the chance to meet with Coach K," Mason Plumlee to the BDN

We got Mason and that's what counts.

SilkyJ
02-27-2008, 07:17 PM
You guys have to keep in mind that McDonald and other shave to pay for unofficial visits. It's not a big red flag that he cancelled. Recruiting types were pounding his parents phone and it got to them.

muchas gracias watzone. That's not something I had considered, but then again, why can't it be one of his OFFICIAL visits? already made one? too soon?

Gonna hafta agree with the below in all aspects. I ain't complaining, but I think you'll still hear "K can't recruit TRUE big men" or something like that..

I doubt it because Plumlee doesn't seem to be the big burly low post banger type. Not that I'm complaining, because I'm not. I'm very excited that he chose Duke but the group that seem to think that K can't recruit big men seem to think that you can't win a championship with out a Shelden/Boozer/Brand type of player. So those threads won't truly stop unless we sign Echenique, Painter, Riley or Hall.

watzone
02-27-2008, 07:20 PM
muchas gracias watzone. That's not something I had considered, but then again, why can't it be one of his OFFICIAL visits? already made one? too soon?

Gonna hafta agree with the below in all aspects. I ain't complaining, but I think you'll still hear "K can't recruit TRUE big men" or something like that..

Juniors cannot take official visits. A prospect has to have qualified academically.

Faison1
02-27-2008, 07:35 PM
As long as Watzone says it's no big deal about Leslie canceling, I can accept that. Part of me is bummed though, because I know he was at the Memphis-UT game that must have made an impression on him. Maybe Watzone can ease my mind a bit. Maybe reiterate that it's not a big deal. Sorry to be a wet rag.

But on the bright side, way to go Mason!!! You chose right!!!

Classof06
02-27-2008, 07:36 PM
VERY glad to see that Mason committed. It sounds like he's going to be a special player. Even if he's not your traditional banger, he's still a 6-11 basketball player and a very good one at that. That's a plus anyway you look at it...

SilkyJ
02-27-2008, 07:42 PM
Juniors cannot take official visits. A prospect has to have qualified academically.

spanks. I asked several questions of you today and I appreciate all the answers/info :)

As long as Watzone says it's no big deal about Leslie canceling, I can accept that. Part of me is bummed though, because I know he was at the Memphis-UT game that must have made an impression on him. Maybe Watzone can ease my mind a bit. Maybe reiterate that it's not a big deal. Sorry to be a wet rag.

Its not a big deal.

Faison1
02-27-2008, 07:49 PM
Its not a big deal.

OK....if you say so. Sorry to steal Mason's thunder. So, let me say again:

WAY TO GO MASON!!!

Looking forward to seeing you stick it to Carolina. They screwed you, right?!?! Those son's a' b___ches!!!! See what they do?!?! See what they do?!?!

DukeDevilsBB
02-27-2008, 08:05 PM
As good as it gets? With all due respect, my members say different. TDD leans on Dave Telep while other sites lean on nobody. Dave is the recruiting coordinator at Scout and has numerous sources, but he mainly works it in person developing relationships along the way. Take away him and you take away the Plumlee information and so much more, period. I respect Dave a lot. I see him working out there when I am working. He went to see the Plumlee kids just as I did. He talked to the Plumlees just as I did. He talked to his coach, just as I did. IOW, he worked it! The guy who runs or manages TDD cannot say that about himself. The TDD site owner is a pretty good guy, but there has to be a reason why my site continues to grow and my members all talk of what they had been missing having been a member of said site. Don't get me wrong - a recruiting data base is a nice feature and being able to lean on an entire network has it's perks. But if you are talking basketball coverage, it is simply not true that the information is as good as it gets and I challenge anybody to take that sample test. I get all my information direct, generally first and never ever borrowed after the fact;) So, TDD may be good thanks to Telep and others who are leaned upon, but you can certainly argue against it being called good as it gets.

We got Mason and that's what counts.

all I can say is wow...that post is chocked full of more bs than anything I have ever read.

jimbonelson
02-27-2008, 08:11 PM
you dont post here often huh
all I can say is wow...that post is chocked full of more bs than anything I have ever read.

watzone
02-27-2008, 08:31 PM
I will stand by my statement. So, please elaboroate DukeDevilsBB. I realize you are a moderator there and you should be faitful. But tell me what is so far fetched. Do so by PM if you please.

DavidBenAkiva
02-27-2008, 08:37 PM
Let's all welcome Mason Plumlee to the Duke family! His parents must be so proud - one brother goes to Stanford, the other to Duke. Can you imagine the pressure on the youngest brother and the daughter? We should monitor the daughter situation - maybe Coach P can keep an eye on her, too. This could be our McCants family from Asheville (even though they are from Warsaw, Indiana)...

Time flies like an arrow

throatybeard
02-27-2008, 09:37 PM
This thread has been a mess. One would hope that a celebration of a commitment wouldn't turn into infighting. It's disappointing.

watzone
02-27-2008, 09:58 PM
This thread has been a mess. One would hope that a celebration of a commitment wouldn't turn into infighting. It's disappointing.

My appologies for my part. Now, Mason Plumlee. Plumlee is a nice addition.

SeattleIrish
02-28-2008, 03:04 AM
Really excited to have Plumlee - he's got a great frame for a kid so young. I can't wait to see him roll out in the RIGHT shade of blue!~

Welcome to Duke, Mason!

s.i.

TwoDukeTattoos
02-28-2008, 05:02 AM
An excerpt from an article regarding Plumlee:

From his bedroom walls to birthday cakes, the Winona Lake, Ind., native grew up swathed in the Tar Heels’ colors. All the blue in Plumlee’s life will now be taking on a much darker tint.
"I'm a Duke fan now," Plumlee said. "I'm excited that I'll get to be a part of such a great rivalry. I feel great about this decision. I've still got some Carolina jerseys, but I can probably put them on eBay or something."

Uncle Drew
02-28-2008, 05:54 AM
An excerpt from an article regarding Plumlee:

From his bedroom walls to birthday cakes, the Winona Lake, Ind., native grew up swathed in the Tar Heels’ colors. All the blue in Plumlee’s life will now be taking on a much darker tint.
"I'm a Duke fan now," Plumlee said. "I'm excited that I'll get to be a part of such a great rivalry. I feel great about this decision. I've still got some Carolina jerseys, but I can probably put them on eBay or something."

Mason, save those jersey's for bondfires after Duke victories over UNC. I know first hand they tend to make a fire burn extra hot! And welcome from the dark side into the light.

IStillHateJimBain
02-28-2008, 10:42 AM

McClure Trinity Catholic
Taylor King Mater Dei
Nolan Smith Oak Hill

I believe it is more a function of the landscape of high school basketball these days. There are more and more kids eschewing the traditional four-years-of-public-high-schools-to-college route for various reasons. Some need the academics (diploma mill). Some want to get out of bad hometown environments. Some need to improve their game. Some just want exposure and a national schedule and that sort of wine-and-dine lifestyle. There's got to be a hell of an upside to waking up a 5:30 every day and putting on those junior military uniforms and wearing them all day. I just wonder what the future of traditional high school basketball is. Will there ever be a day when AAU is year-round and high school ball is played only by the kids not good enough for the premier travelling programs?
By a "travelling" program I do not mean any school where Tyler Hansbrough once played.

monarch34
02-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Let's just hope that the lack of interest from UNC places a large chip on his shoulders when we play them! Let's also hope he just the first of 4 dominos to fall!

GHTC!!!!!

UNC not reciprocating a player's lifelong interest has certainly worked in our favor before. I hope Plumlee can continue this history. I know that Hurley and J.Williams were both said to be longtime UNC fans who were turned away by the "light blue" only to haunt the Heels many times thereafter (particularly in light of the players UNC signed who never turned out as well). I seem to recall there were other Duke player who also were former UNC fans, but cannot put my finger on who they were at present. Can anyone help on this?

Tommac
02-28-2008, 01:16 PM
I believe that David Henderson fell into Duke's lap after UNC picked Curtis Hunter over Henderson.

kydevil
02-28-2008, 01:42 PM
Any youtube videos of Plumlee? :D

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-28-2008, 02:32 PM
UNC not reciprocating a player's lifelong interest has certainly worked in our favor before. I hope Plumlee can continue this history. I know that Hurley and J.Williams were both said to be longtime UNC fans who were turned away by the "light blue" only to haunt the Heels many times thereafter (particularly in light of the players UNC signed who never turned out as well). I seem to recall there were other Duke player who also were former UNC fans, but cannot put my finger on who they were at present. Can anyone help on this?

While it was not a lifelong dream to play at Carolina, Art Heyman was on his way to play for Frank McGuire, even attended the freshman orientation at Carolina, before enrolling at Duke.

Bluedog
02-28-2008, 02:51 PM
Any youtube videos of Plumlee? :D

I know typing "Mason Plumlee" in the search field in youtube is very difficult ;) This is the only result:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JKWXTeBzF_A

kydevil
02-28-2008, 02:58 PM
I know typing "Mason Plumlee" in the search field in youtube is very difficult ;) This is the only result:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JKWXTeBzF_A

That video solidified what I was thinking, he is gonna be an amazing talent!

OldPhiKap
02-28-2008, 03:24 PM

Grant Hill.
Bobby Hurley.
Maybe Jason Williams?

BD80
02-29-2008, 09:49 PM
How about a name for recruiting for the class of 2011? Unlike Plumlee, he is a real low post player. Er, I mean, like Plumlee, he is a real low post player:

younger brother, 6-10 freshman Marshall, is “the only true low-post player in the family,” according to [high school coach] Gaines.

We have got to have some advantage here. Marshall should visit Duke at least a few times with Mason this year and next, and will probably come see Mason during Mason's freshman year.

Quick question, is Mason allowed to play in pick-up games at Duke this summer? If he is close enough to drive over, can he join in the games when there is no contact with coaches? Could he bring Marshall along?

The Plumlees sound like a great family, I wouldn't getting a couple of them at Duke, particularly when the second plays the low post. Just think how far ahead of the learning curve Marshall would be in doing it the "Duke way".

husWagner1983
02-29-2008, 10:21 PM
I'm "plum" happy! If he plays as advertised {skilled big forward) he's a great fit.

roywhite
02-29-2008, 10:26 PM
Sorry if I missed this, but what's the deal with the family living in Warsaw, Indiana, and the boys going to a private school in Asheville?

Is it a choice primarily for basketball, or is there some strong connection to the school and the area? Is there not a good private school a little closer to Indiana that might suit? Does the family maintain two homes while sending 3 boys to private school?....that's got to be a financial challenge.

Just curious...very happy with I've read about Mason, and look forward to his career at Duke.

norduck
02-29-2008, 10:54 PM
Sorry if I missed this, but what's the deal with the family living in Warsaw, Indiana, and the boys going to a private school in Asheville?

Is it a choice primarily for basketball, or is there some strong connection to the school and the area? Is there not a good private school a little closer to Indiana that might suit? Does the family maintain two homes while sending 3 boys to private school?....that's got to be a financial challenge.

Just curious...very happy with I've read about Mason, and look forward to his career at Duke.

Several factors.

http://www.christschool.org/

Jarhead
02-29-2008, 11:03 PM
While it was not a lifelong dream to play at Carolina, Art Heyman was on his way to play for Frank McGuire, even attended the freshman orientation at Carolina, before enrolling at Duke.

I may be wrong, but my recollection of the signing of Art Heyman goes like this. Art Heyman was being courted by both UNC and NYU. NYU announced Art's commitment to them, and about the same time UNC announced his commitment. (It may have been the media that made those announcements.) This all happened on or about the day that Eddie Cameron made the surprise announcement of that Spring. Vic Bubas was introduced as the new head basketball coach at Duke. Within a matter of days or even hours, Coach Bubas announced the signing of Heyman. I am thinking that Art's dad had something to do with it. He and Frank McGuire reportedly had some kind of falling out. Art was class of '63, and Coach Bubas was hired in April or May of 1959.

3rd Dukie
03-01-2008, 12:13 AM
I may be wrong, but my recollection of the signing of Art Heyman goes like this. Art Heyman was being courted by both UNC and NYU. NYU announced Art's commitment to them, and about the same time UNC announced his commitment. (It may have been the media that made those announcements.) This all happened on or about the day that Eddie Cameron made the surprise announcement of that Spring. Vic Bubas was introduced as the new head basketball coach at Duke. Within a matter of days or even hours, Coach Bubas announced the signing of Heyman. I am thinking that Art's dad had something to do with it. He and Frank McGuire reportedly had some kind of falling out. Art was class of '63, and Coach Bubas was hired in April or May of 1959.

I vaguely recall something like that. Also, Art and Barry Kramer, who I believe was a year behind Artie but maybe not, had known each other previously. It seems as though there was a big deal made of the fact that Kramer and Art were both Jewish when Duke played NYU, who also had Happy Hairston I think, in the '63 NCAA's. Does anyone else remember it this way? I think that's the way it was. Jerry Harkness and Vic Rouse were on the Loyola Chicago team as I recall, along with a fellow named Hunter. Talk about quick!

topps coach
03-01-2008, 03:17 PM
The great Bill Guthride told the G-Man that he was not an ACC caliber player. Thanks dummy

SilkyJ
03-29-2008, 01:15 PM
In The Mummy's latest article he lists Mason as 6'8" whereas everything I had heard before put him at 6'11" and MAYBE 6'10"

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=24674

For a guy who isn't that thick, those few inches make a big difference. Anyone actually SEEN him live and know how tall he really is?

BlueintheFace
03-29-2008, 01:58 PM
Having seen him in person I can say, there is no way he is only 6'8". I don't know how tall he is though.

chrishoke
03-29-2008, 02:42 PM
Having seen him in person I can say, there is no way he is only 6'8". I don't know how tall he is though.

True, but he only weighs 148 lbs.

Jumbo
03-29-2008, 03:39 PM
True, but he only weighs 148 lbs.

Yeah, but he's actually 8'3".

yancem
03-29-2008, 03:44 PM
In The Mummy's latest article he lists Mason as 6'8" whereas everything I had heard before put him at 6'11" and MAYBE 6'10"

For a guy who isn't that thick, those few inches make a big difference. Anyone actually SEEN him live and know how tall he really is?

I was wondering how long it would take your someone to bring this up. I thought it was interesting too but figured it was either a typo or simply an error.

Cameron
03-29-2008, 04:03 PM
Please tell me he's not 6'6"... We already went through that before (and, quite honestly, might be the reason Imus in the Morning is not still gracing us with his presence.)

Saratoga2
03-29-2008, 04:08 PM
Please tell me he's not 6'6"... We already went through that before (and, quite honestly, might be the reason Imus in the Morning is not still gracing us with his presence.)

Maybe he has the same condition that afflicts Nelson, who is listed at 6'4" but appears 2 inches shorter than Jon.

BlueintheFace
03-29-2008, 04:44 PM
I heard he was a cross between George Mikan, Dirk Nowitzki, Christian Laettner, Michael Jordan, and Jesus.... is this true?

77devil
03-29-2008, 04:46 PM
Imus in the Morning is not still gracing us with his presence.

Which I must state is an improvement regardless of why.;)

Dukefan4Life
03-29-2008, 06:03 PM
He is a good 6"10 6"11

Cameron
03-29-2008, 07:56 PM
Which I must state is an improvement regardless of why. ;)

Yeah, probably:) I know of at least one person who was starting to get creeped out by him and his hat staring at us everyday. The I-man's likely gone forever. Unless he makes some more news, then we'll quickly set up a presser and he'll be back:D

dyedwab
03-29-2008, 08:26 PM
I heard he was a cross between George Mikan, Dirk Nowitzki, Christian Laettner, Michael Jordan, and Jesus.... is this true?

No....because he's the the second coming of Patrick Davidson:)

crote
03-29-2008, 09:17 PM
No....because he's the the second coming of Patrick Davidson:)

Now you're talking blasphemy.

Ultrarunner
03-29-2008, 09:57 PM
He is a good 6"10 6"11

I'd rather a bad--- 6'10' 6'11" :D a la Laettner

Devilsfan
03-29-2008, 11:30 PM
DeMarcus was constantly mentioned by commentators as 6'4". That was a "stretch".

DavidBenAkiva
03-29-2008, 11:48 PM
I have never seen Mason Plumlee in person (though I had a chat with Demarcus Nelson on campus a few summers ago, and I thought that he was 6'3" or so, but that's neither here nor there), but I think that The Mummy listed 6'8" becuase that is where prepstars.com lists Plumlee. Mummy said in his article that he goes by that website. My guess is that Plumlee was 6'8" during the summer of 2007, so his height hasn't been changed online to reflect 2 - 3 inches of growth. We'll only find out for sure next year when he laces up for Duke, but for now I have to think that 6'10" is closer to his true height.

I wonder what his hook shot looks like...?

Time flies like an arrow

crote
03-30-2008, 12:25 AM
For what it's worth, during one of his visits, Plumlee was standing along the baseline during warmups. Just eyeballing it, you could tell he was definitely a good bit taller than Lance.

willywoody
03-30-2008, 12:57 AM
i sent him that contraption barney used to pass the n.c. deputy physical, so y'all stop worrying.

watzone
03-30-2008, 01:28 PM
Mason is a long 6-10 snd growing. And that's from somebody who interviewed him more than twice in person the past two months. His Father is somehwere between 6-5 and 6-7. His Mom is just over 6-0 and started center for the Purdue Women's Basketball team. I fully expect him to be around 6-11 when he steps on campus.

SupaDave
03-30-2008, 02:46 PM
Now that's what I call ending a subject Watzone. From what I've read though he's still not really a post player.

davekay1971
03-30-2008, 06:05 PM
6'11"?! The boy can learn to be a post player! Maybe we can start spreading stories about his ping-pong talents and nickname him "Tsycho P"

Bluedawg
03-30-2008, 06:48 PM

6-11 is a safe bet

Scout.com Ht: 6-11 Wt: 210 (http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=2856191)

chicagotribune.comHt: 6-foot-10, Wt: 205 lbs (http://www.chicagosports.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=56247&sport=2)

CITIZEN-TIMES.com 6-foot-11 (CITIZEN-TIMES.com)

InsidersESPN.com's 6'11" 200 lbs (http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=42917&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d429 17)

Tar Heel Times 6-foot-11 (http://www.tarheeltimes.com/2007/11/roy-williams-vi.html)

dukelion
04-10-2008, 10:16 AM
Scout now has him as a 5 star prospect and number 20 overall.......ahead of UNC's Wear twins.

He was 39 this time a year ago.

I know rankings are extremley subjective but that type of bump is significant.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&pid=88&yr=2009

jipops
04-10-2008, 10:22 AM
We've seen this happen before once a player has committed to Duke.

CMS2478
04-10-2008, 10:23 AM
Scout now has him as a 5 star prospect and number 20 overall.......ahead of UNC's Wear twins.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&pid=88&yr=2009

According to the UNC fans this is because our recruits get preferential treatment just like we do. :rolleyes:

sagegrouse
04-10-2008, 10:40 AM

Rankings. The folks that do it are probably not malevolent or stupid. (And they probably have a touch of humility, although I don't want to go too far.) They amass and assess all the available data. So, when Duke (or UNC or Kansas) signs a player, this reveal that K and his staff think highly of him. They properly give it some weight. Ergo, the rankings go up.

This is just like stock price when a respected analyst gives it a "strong buy" rating.

sagegrouse

mepanchin
04-10-2008, 10:41 AM
We've seen this happen before once a player has committed to Duke.

A lot of scouts were talking about Plumlee's stock as going up a lot during this season even before he committed to Duke, so I don't know if it's a causal relationship

kramerbr
04-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Greg Echenique also skyrocketed up the rankings.

dukelion
04-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Rankings. The folks that do it are probably not malevolent or stupid. (And they probably have a touch of humility, although I don't want to go too far.) They amass and assess all the available data. So, when Duke (or UNC or Kansas) signs a player, this reveal that K and his staff think highly of him. They properly give it some weight. Ergo, the rankings go up.

This is just like stock price when a respected analyst gives it a "strong buy" rating.

sagegrouse

Sort of agree but a 19 spot jump is significant and based on your logic the Wear twins should have moved up as well when in fact they actually moved down.

My overall point is that I think Plumlee is a legit/elite prospect and not just a guy who won't contribute until his Junior year.

BlueDevilJay
04-10-2008, 11:01 AM
No, the rankings don't mean anything, but it's always good to see a future Dukie moving up the charts, regardless of their meaning (or lack thereof). My dad gets all into the recruiting (back of the annual ACC handbook has more red ink on it than one of my college term papers :) ) so I'll def be passing along this story to him. Should get him out of the lull he's been in since King decided to transfer. That really got him down, never seen him that attached to a kid after one season.

Classof06
04-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Duke fans should know better than to pay too much attention to these rankings. Lets see how the kid turns out when he steps foot on campus in 16-17 months.

Troublemaker
04-10-2008, 11:06 AM

sagegrouse

I think you hit the nail on the head. And I think it explains how all the various recruit ranking lists could look so similar to each other despite there being thousands of high school kids to evaluate and track, all spread out across the country, all playing different levels of competition. The recruiting sites must anchor their lists based on which colleges have offered each player, and independent evaluation of the player plays only a small role in his ranking. Which is a smart thing to do because, otherwise, there is too much error involved in ranking these kids independently.

Channing
04-10-2008, 11:12 AM
remember that after Boateng committed to Duke his stock plummeted.

Saratoga2
04-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Remember where Randolph and McRoberts were in the rankings before jumping for joy. I'm glad we got him but don't think high expectations are in order until we see him play in the ACC.

whereinthehellami
04-10-2008, 11:52 AM
Mason's stock should continue to rise as his brother is now gone and he will become more of a focus for his team.

It is suprising to see how little Duke is listed with the prospects.

John Henson, the UNC recruit, has also shot up the rankings.

arnie
04-10-2008, 01:07 PM
Remember where Randolph and McRoberts were in the rankings before jumping for joy. I'm glad we got him but don't think high expectations are in order until we see him play in the ACC.

Particularly since Plumlee is not considered a power player - his impact likely will range anywhere from a Joey Beard up near that of Ferry/Laettner.

sagegrouse
04-10-2008, 01:21 PM
Particularly since Plumlee is not considered a power player - his impact likely will range anywhere from a Joey Beard up near that of Ferry/Laettner.

Arnie: Range of Joey beard to Ferry or Laettner? Aren't you afraid of going out on a limb too far?

sagegrouse:)

bhd28
04-10-2008, 01:44 PM

If he performs similarly to McRoberts (ON THE COURT) his first 2 years, I would be thrilled.
______PTS__REB__AST__A/T__STL___BLK___FG%___FT%___3P%
Fresh: 8.7___5.3__1.5___1.1___1.3___1.1___.605__.664____. 385
Soph: 13.0__7.9__3.5___1.43__1.2___2.5___.502___.664____ .217

Off the court... well, hopefully he will just be himself. ;)

DukeBlood
04-10-2008, 01:47 PM
Dexter Strickland went from #7 overall, to #12 overall(UNC Committ). While Henson went from Mid-20's to #13 and became a 5-star. The Wear twins dropped.

I do think being recruited by certain teams does help out, It doesnt mean that its a gimme though

freedevil
04-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Dexter Strickland went from #7 overall, to #12 overall(UNC Committ). While Henson went from Mid-20's to #13 and became a 5-star. The Wear twins dropped.

I do think being recruited by certain teams does help out, It doesnt mean that its a gimme though

I agree with this. Apparently Henson also grew significantly since the last rankings update.

Edouble
04-10-2008, 02:20 PM
Remember where Randolph and McRoberts were in the rankings before jumping for joy.

Are we in Plum Country?

arnie
04-10-2008, 03:20 PM
Arnie: Range of Joey beard to Ferry or Laettner? Aren't you afraid of going out on a limb too far?

sagegrouse:)

Yea, I guess that didn't pin it down much did it. My point is, our success with tall, highly recurited perimeter players has been very difficult to predict.

And yes, Arnie can still beat that fat kid any day of the week.

eddiehaskell
04-10-2008, 03:47 PM
UNC has interest/commitments from 9 of the top 20 players? Jeez.

CDu
04-10-2008, 04:04 PM

Half of the players in the top-20 have like 10 teams on the "interest" list, so I wouldn't make too big a deal out of that. Kansas, Florida, and UCLA have their name in there too. UNC talks to a lot of people, and then narrow it down to a few. They'll end up with a bunch of good players, but they aren't getting 9 of the top-20, or anywhere close to that.

Shammrog
04-10-2008, 04:05 PM

Yeah - they are doing a great job recruiting, and have been under Roy.

But, don't get too down -- absent mass defections, they aren't going to get nearly that many. The name of the game among top recruits ultimately comes down to playing time.

pratt '04
04-10-2008, 04:12 PM
Yeah - they are doing a great job recruiting, and have been under Roy.

This (http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/041008aaa.html) is how into recruiting Roy is. Frankly, I think he might have his priorities mixed up a bit.

From the article:

Roy Williams was supposed to be on an airplane today, winding his way over the Atlantic Ocean on a trip to spend a week with his son, Scott, and Scott's wife, Katie. The younger Williams moved to London last year, and until the Final Four the father and son hadn't seen each other since Christmas. For Roy Williams, who once flew from a UNC hoops overseas trip in Japan to Chapel Hill just to spend a few hours with his children on Christmas morning before flying out to Hawaii to rejoin the Tar Heel basketball team, going over three months without seeing his son qualifies as an eternity.

Williams will, in fact, be on a plane in a few days. But it won't be bound for Barcelona, where he was supposed to meet Scott and Katie and then move on to the Canary Islands. It'll be bound for one of several recruiting events that span the nation over the remainder of April.

"Telling my wife I had to cancel our trip to Europe is probably the second-closest I've ever been to divorce," the head coach said on Wednesday. "But I missed three days of recruiting last week because our team was preparing to go to the Final Four. I didn't feel like I could miss three days next week, too. I need to be out recruiting that Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday."

Devil07
04-10-2008, 04:17 PM
This (http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/041008aaa.html) is how into recruiting Roy is. Frankly, I think he might have his priorities mixed up a bit.

I don't know if it is so much that he has his priorities mixed up or that the whole system does. Sadly that's the name of the game now. Some articles touched on it after Skip Prosser's passing, but this just reiterates how demanding and competitive recruiting has become. Something tells me that Roy isn't the only coach to have to make such sacrifices for the greater "good."

slower
04-10-2008, 04:30 PM
Yea, I guess that didn't pin it down much did it. My point is, our success with tall, highly recurited perimeter players has been very difficult to predict.

And yes, Arnie can still beat that fat kid any day of the week.

Who? Cartman?

slower
04-10-2008, 04:32 PM

From the article:

Have you ever met his son? ;)

Vincetaylor
04-10-2008, 04:47 PM
I definitely don't buy Plumlee's new ranking. He is competing in a private school league in NC where he isn't exactly putting up jaw dropping numbers. Until he faces some serious competition in college, we'll have no idea how good he will be.

6th Man
04-10-2008, 05:01 PM
I definitely don't buy Plumlee's new ranking. He is competing in a private school league in NC where he isn't exactly putting up jaw dropping numbers. Until he faces some serious competition in college, we'll have no idea how good he will be.

This is an excellent point. I think his high school team has some college bound players so they spread the stats around a little, but the leagues these guys come from can misguide you. I'm not saying he won't live up to the billing, but you just never know what a kid will do until he plays college ball. I never put a lot of stock in the rankings.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know about the teams Demarcus played against in high school. I was just curious as he was Cal's all-time scoring leader. I just can't quite imagine that as he wasn't a great shooter. He was a great slasher and rebounder for a guy his height, but I would think a state's all-time scorer could flat out shoot it. I'm not trying to put down Demarcus, I'm just curious about that amazing stat.

crote
04-10-2008, 05:32 PM
This is an excellent point. I think his high school team has some college bound players so they spread the stats around a little, but the leagues these guys come from can misguide you. I'm not saying he won't live up to the billing, but you just never know what a kid will do until he plays college ball. I never put a lot of stock in the rankings.

I think these days performance on the AAU circuit has more to do with a player's ranking than what they do for their high school club. I know nothing about Plumlee's AAU experience, but you should definitely look at that in addition to who he's played against in high school.