PDA

View Full Version : Women beat BC

dukelifer
02-08-2008, 07:03 AM
A few days ago there was a heated discussion about Coach P and state of the women's team. I argued that you can judge a coach by how they prepare a team after a blowout and how the team responds. This game was not easy- one the road against a team with a comparable record. Duke gutted one out. The O is still struggling- shooting is poor- but the D came through and they won. To me it shows the team and coach are still on the same page and will continue to fight.

heyman25
02-08-2008, 07:18 AM
I saw the stats. This is a very poor shooting team. Glad they have defense.They lack ballhandling skills and aren't aggressive on rebounding. Their assist to turnover ratio is appalling and we are in February. They will have to win on defense because of all the weaknesses in other aspects of the game.

Duvall
02-08-2008, 10:27 AM
A few days ago there was a heated discussion about Coach P and state of the women's team. I argued that you can judge a coach by how they prepare a team after a blowout and how the team responds. This game was not easy- one the road against a team with a comparable record. Duke gutted one out. The O is still struggling- shooting is poor- but the D came through and they won. To me it shows the team and coach are still on the same page and will continue to fight.

I can only assume that you did not watch the game.

With even a mediocre offensive performance, this *would* have an easy game for Duke. But like nearly other game this season, Duke's performance was far from mediocre at that end of the floor.

buddy
02-08-2008, 11:37 AM
It is interesting to juxtapose this year's mens and womens programs. Coach K has adjusted his style to his players abilities. He has shown a willingness to use zone (gasp!), and developed an outside in offense that makes us, in his word, "unconventional". Coach P has brought her system and imposed it on inherited players. The result is a dysfunctional offense. I fear that in Coach P we have an inflexible coach. If she can successfully recruit outstanding athletes to play her system, in time she may rebuild the brand. But if not, she'll be making us wish for a return of Debbie Leonard.

SlimSlowSlider
02-08-2008, 11:50 AM
I was at the game last night. It was difficult to watch. If not for the good, physical defense, and BC's own shooting woes, we could have lost. But Duke should have beaten that BC team by 20, at least.

I do not follow the women's team as closely as the men, and am not in a position to comment on Coach P, but they were a lot more fun to watch last year. Of course, we had Harding then, too, and she made the team go.

-jk
02-08-2008, 11:59 AM
It is interesting to juxtapose this year's mens and womens programs. Coach K has adjusted his style to his players abilities. He has shown a willingness to use zone (gasp!), and developed an outside in offense that makes us, in his word, "unconventional". Coach P has brought her system and imposed it on inherited players. The result is a dysfunctional offense. I fear that in Coach P we have an inflexible coach. If she can successfully recruit outstanding athletes to play her system, in time she may rebuild the brand. But if not, she'll be making us wish for a return of Debbie Leonard.

Rewind circa 25 years: K inherited players and forced them to his style. It seems to have worked out OK in the long run. Pissed off Chip, Tis, and a lot of fans at the time, though.

I'm certainly not saying it will necessarily work out for P the same as for K, but there is precedent here.

-jk

DukePA
02-08-2008, 12:07 PM
Rewind circa 25 years: K inherited players and forced them to his style. It seems to have worked out OK in the long run. Pissed off Chip, Tis, and a lot of fans at the time, though.

I'm certainly not saying it will necessarily work out for P the same as for K, but there is precedent here.

-jk

I agree. Perhaps the women need to make more effort to adjust to their new coach's program. After all, she's what they have and she's obviously very different from coach G.

bludev03
02-08-2008, 12:22 PM
Duke and BC have comparable records but not comparable talent. Duke has 8 McD's and 1 WBCA . I don't think BC has any....

bludev03
02-08-2008, 12:29 PM
btw, any truth to the rumor that Emily Waner has (un)officially "retired"?! i can't believe this, and yes, i TOTALLY blame P if this is true...:mad:

4Luck
02-08-2008, 02:24 PM
I've heard the same about Emily Waner's basketball career at Duke being over. I really hope it's not true.

Raleighfan
02-08-2008, 04:10 PM
I agree. Perhaps the women need to make more effort to adjust to their new coach's program. After all, she's what they have and she's obviously very different from coach G.

I gather from your comments that you 1) don't attend WBB games and 2) haven't been following discussions on the WBB board.

DukePA
02-08-2008, 04:24 PM
I gather from your comments that you 1) don't attend WBB games and 2) haven't been following discussions on the WBB board.

I actually have season tickets for the women's games and am very close to a former Duke women's player who continues to have a relationship with the program. She has also had quite a bit of interaction with coach P. You are right on one point, however, I haven't been following the WBB board.

devildeac
02-09-2008, 12:44 AM

-jk

we have another Nickel Nose(but he is hiding behind his Mod moniker;) )

-jk
02-09-2008, 12:59 AM
we have another Nickel Nose(but he is hiding behind his Mod moniker;) )

My mother woud kill me if I let that stand. Especially this week.

-jk

jtelander
02-09-2008, 07:58 AM

Specifically, what do you mean by the WBB board?

Raleighfan
02-09-2008, 09:27 AM
Specifically, what do you mean by the WBB board?

The WBB (Women's Basketball Board) on TDD (The Devil's Den)....it's a forum devoted to WBB at Duke

devildeac
02-09-2008, 09:49 PM
My mother woud kill me if I let that stand. Especially this week.

-jk

Duke-unc, Nickel Nose reference, 666 posts, hmm, I know there are some obscure hints in your post but I don't have a clue yet. Some of you other historical fanatics out there-HELP! Jim Sumner, Olympic Fan, Indoor 66, Devil in the Blue Dress. Is this the nickname for a former Duke player? Am I getting 'warm' or am I totally lost?