PDA

View Full Version : The UNC towel boys

Dukeford
02-08-2008, 01:57 AM
Man, those guys were slow!
I know, they were pre-teen boys so they were probably doing the best they could. But at least 2 times, I was wondering what's the delay. And then I realized everyone was waiting on them.

I guess the players don't mind though. Gives them a nice little breather.

cajundevil74
02-08-2008, 06:32 AM
I know they are little kids, but here is my take - WTF is UNC doing have little kids, who appear unmotivated, wipe up the floor. I remember several occassions when the overweight kid, put the towel under his foot and tried to dry the spot with his foot. What's up with that? He needs to be on the floor, towel in hand, working like 20 million people are looking at him.

Hell, Danny Green should have just put the towel under his feet and danced on the wet spot. That would have been much more effective.

doctorhook
02-08-2008, 07:55 AM
We used to have the same problem in Cameron. The ballboys/girls were kids, wrote letters to K about why they wanted to do it, etc, but they were just too slow. I am guessing that is why the managers do it now. Doc

34dukegal
02-08-2008, 08:07 AM
I'm usually a lurker but thought I would comment here. I noticed on at least one occasion that it looked like they were purposefully being slow. Hansborough was at the free throw line and looked worn out, he was hunched over with his hands on his knees, sure sign of tiredness. To me it looked like the towel boy was going slower for this reason.

DoubleDuke Dad
02-08-2008, 08:12 AM
I'm usually a lurker but thought I would comment here. I noticed on at least one occasion that it looked like they were purposefully being slow. Hansborough was at the free throw line and looked worn out, he was hunched over with his hands on his knees, sure sign of tiredness. To me it looked like the towel boy was going slower for this reason.
Towelgate!

dukegirlinsc
02-08-2008, 09:22 AM
I was actually furious with the towel tots. I would have KILLED to be in that position at that age, and I would have rolled around in the sweat puddles if that's what it took to clean it up.

I also noticed that at one time, Tyler was somewhat "directing" one of the tots to a puddle...while he stood with his head down, and sweat dripped from his face on to the floor.

That's like getting spanked by your mom for hitting your brother.

DukieInKansas
02-08-2008, 09:23 AM

Plus, Hansbwhatever kept dripping on the spot - so it would never be dry. Someone should have given him a towel.

elvis14
02-08-2008, 09:27 AM

That's pretty much the way I read it too. We had run them into the ground Hansexahusted was beat and they were basically using the cleanup time as an extra time out. Seemed a bit bush league to me but I didn't mind too much because we had the lead and I didn't think we'd be giving that lead up no matter how much sweat Hansslobber put on the floor.

weezie
02-08-2008, 09:28 AM
Apparently, Tyler did, in fact, throw in the towel. :D

But seriously, is this a great board or what?!
We even examine the efficiency of the towel boys?! No stone is left unturned.

Jumbo
02-08-2008, 09:33 AM
Apparently, Tyler did, in fact, throw in the towel. :D

But seriously, is this a great board of what?!
We even examine the efficiency of the towel boys?! No stone is left unturned.

Funny, I'm embarrassed by this thread.

captmojo
02-08-2008, 09:36 AM

No need to be. It was all a part of gamesmanship. Like Ol' Roy's disbelief that Thompson was guilty of his fifth.

pamtar
02-08-2008, 09:40 AM
Plus, Hansbwhatever kept dripping on the spot - so it would never be dry. Someone should have given him a towel.

Dough sweats! :D

aimo
02-08-2008, 09:51 AM
We used to have the same problem in Cameron. The ballboys/girls were kids, wrote letters to K about why they wanted to do it, etc, but they were just too slow. I am guessing that is why the managers do it now. Doc

Back in the old days, it was always teenagers who were ball boys, at least 13 years old. There were four of them, two at each end, the same ones for years, and they did a good job. Then they started getting younger and younger b/c they were grandchildren of old Iron Dukes or whatever. They were useless, got in the way, and were probably a liability risk under the basket if they got hurt. So they ditched the kids. Best idea.

34dukegal
02-08-2008, 09:52 AM
At the school were I worked for a couple of years the towel kids were extremely enthusiastic. Our student section cheered them on like they were players. The kids got the work done as quickly as possible so that they could enjoy the applause.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-08-2008, 10:03 AM
Back in the old days, it was always teenagers who were ball boys, at least 13 years old. There were four of them, two at each end, the same ones for years, and they did a good job. Then they started getting younger and younger b/c they were grandchildren of old Iron Dukes or whatever. They were useless, got in the way, and were probably a liability risk under the basket if they got hurt. So they ditched the kids. Best idea.

Actually Duke did little to prepare the kids for their jobs. The uniforms seemed to be contributed and there was little attention how the kids looked and how they performed their jobs. Coach K didn't make the selection; Tom D'Army (sp?) did. I know this because my niece and nephew served in the towel crews years ago. In fact, my niece was the second girl ever selected. She was reluctant to apply because she saw no girls on the crews. I encouraged her to apply and make a good presentation since there would be many times in her life that she'd be confronting the same issue. Writing the letter of application was a great exercise causing her to take a look at her life and her goals.

It is safer and more efficient to have college students handle this responsibility. Certainly reflects another way college basketball has changed over the years.

jjasper0729
02-08-2008, 10:05 AM
They were useless, got in the way, and were probably a liability risk under the basket if they got hurt.

they weren't useless and the fans loved them, but they were pulled because of the potential injury factor quite a few years ago now.

camcraz25
02-08-2008, 10:57 AM
I've seen some places with swiffer-like mops on sticks..they seem to work quicker and cut down on people having to bend over, get on the floor, and whatnot..Could be helpful especially if non-kids are doing the mopping.

Duke09
02-08-2008, 11:02 AM
I thought they were just bad. People were slipping everywhere, more than I've ever seen in a game.

Duvall
02-08-2008, 11:03 AM

In our defense, the kids were terrible. Having ceremonial ballkids is fine, but I'm sure Carolina basketball can afford a couple of mops.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-08-2008, 11:29 AM
In our defense, the kids were terrible. Having ceremonial ballkids is fine, but I'm sure Carolina basketball can afford a couple of mops.
If it weren't the ball kids, what would the issue be?

throatybeard
02-08-2008, 11:55 AM
http://www.freewebs.com/towelianism/towelie.jpg

Duvall
02-08-2008, 11:58 AM
If it weren't the ball kids, what would the issue be?

I don't understand the question.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-08-2008, 12:20 PM
I don't understand the question.
I'll rephrase: If the ball kids hadn't been so lazy or slow, what would the complaints be about? Aside from safety issues related to moisture on the floor, why such a focus on the ball kids? Maybe because I was a school principal in my primary career, I notice how people talk about kids. If you feel I'm out of line in this point of view, please excuse me.

Duvall
02-08-2008, 12:39 PM
I'll rephrase: If the ball kids hadn't been so lazy or slow, what would the complaints be about? Aside from safety issues related to moisture on the floor, why such a focus on the ball kids? Maybe because I was a school principal in my primary career, I notice how people talk about kids. If you feel I'm out of line in this point of view, please excuse me.

Oh, okay. If the kids had done a better job, I doubt there would have been any complaints.

DoubleDuke Dad
02-08-2008, 12:44 PM
http://www.freewebs.com/towelianism/towelie.jpg
LOL. South Park strikes again!

alteran
02-08-2008, 12:49 PM

I'm not going to reread the thread, but I don't think anybody was saying nasty things about the kids. If somebody did, I would agree that's out of line. It appeared to me most people were pointing out a problem.

I didn't much care, but the three people I was watching with sure noticed that the ball kids were struggling to clean up the floor, and there were a lot of slips by players.

Bottom line, there was a problem.

I've never noticed this problem at UNC before, so I assume it's an abberation. Maybe they had a contest to be a "Duke/UNC ball kid" and displaced their normal ball kids. Maybe they cycle kids frequently and started a new set the other night and forgot to train them.

Either way, they had a problem-- a problem I personally imagine they will fix, given UNC's track record.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Oh, okay. If the kids had done a better job, I doubt there would have been any complaints.
What I've been trying to say is that kids don't perform like adults. Criticizing them as harshly as we would criticize adults sounds small and petty, takes away from the overall classy game. My overall standard for my own comments about basketball games is: What would Coach K say?

monkey
02-08-2008, 12:54 PM
Actually saw at least once on tv the ref take the towel from the towel boys and mop the floor himself during foul shots. Thought that was odd. Guess I'm not the only one who noticed something

monkey
02-08-2008, 01:04 PM
What I've been trying to say is that kids don't perform like adults. Criticizing them as harshly as we would criticize adults sounds small and petty, takes away from the overall classy game. My overall standard for my own comments about basketball games is: What would Coach K say?

Partially agree with you - after all they are kids. But Carolina has a responsibility to provide a safe playing surface. The ref shouldn't be mopping the floor because they didn't do the job

Carlos
02-08-2008, 01:05 PM

I think the issue here isn't - or shouldn't be - that the kids didn't perform like adults. It's that Carolina should know that kids don't perform like adults so they shouldn't put them in a position where they would need to do so.

What would Coach K say? Well if the game were at Duke he would likely pull Captain Joe aside and point out to him that instead of having kids come out and do a spotty job of cleaning up sweat that maybe it would be safer for the players if the job was performed by adults.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-08-2008, 01:37 PM
I think the issue here isn't - or shouldn't be - that the kids didn't perform like adults. It's that Carolina should know that kids don't perform like adults so they shouldn't put them in a position where they would need to do so.

What would Coach K say? Well if the game were at Duke he would likely pull Captain Joe aside and point out to him that instead of having kids come out and do a spotty job of cleaning up sweat that maybe it would be safer for the players if the job was performed by adults.

Carlos, you've said it better than I. As you know, Duke did have the same problem with moisture on the floor for years and the kids struggled to get it up. I remember many games when we waited while an area was dried. Having air conditioning on and assigning student managers to dry the floor is definitely the way to go. An added benefit is that we may have created more managers' positions and benefit with a longer bench when our managers play the Carolina managers.

Lotus000
02-08-2008, 02:04 PM
I think it's awesome that UNC still lets young kids to it. When I was watching the game, I told somebody as such. It's sort of a tradition, I think, to let kids to it, and you don't see it that often. Who cares if kids do it? Would managers do a 'better job?' Sure, but imagine being able to say to your 5th grade classmates that you're a ballboy for UNC.

And for the love of God above, it's not 'bush' league, it's 'Busch league.'

RepoMan
02-08-2008, 02:10 PM
I got an idea. Why don't they let the "towel wavers" down at the end of the UNC bench burn some of their towel waving energy by running out to help the kids?

ugadevil
02-08-2008, 02:36 PM
I got an idea. Why don't they let the "towel wavers" down at the end of the UNC bench burn some of their towel waving energy by running out to help the kids?

I think Sean May needs to be out there doing some sort of exercise, even if it's just mopping up sweat.

BigTedder
02-08-2008, 02:52 PM
Man, those guys were slow!
I know, they were pre-teen boys so they were probably doing the best they could. But at least 2 times, I was wondering what's the delay. And then I realized everyone was waiting on them.

I guess the players don't mind though. Gives them a nice little breather.

Im suuuure it wasnt on purpose......:rolleyes:

BigTedder
02-08-2008, 02:53 PM

haha...wow.

Dukeford
02-08-2008, 08:06 PM

What would Coach K say?

He would probably say "!@#$&*............"

Taco
02-08-2008, 08:21 PM
arghhhh small children arghhhh

Kimist
02-09-2008, 01:12 AM
I don't think anyone really has negative thoughts about the kids, but there is definitely a liability factor there. The issue is similar to the fact that CIS does not allow "acrobatic" cheerleading, even by the visitors, and IIRC at one time there were even young girl cheerleaders who got out on the court.

The John Edwards ambulance chasers of the world are always out there lurking...especially when related to a private university with deep pockets.

As for the game in the Dean Dome, the thought definitely DID cross my mind that HansTravel was obviously gassed and was getting at least an extended break while he "directed" the clean up activity along the baseline. TowelGate IS a possibility!

k

Carlos
02-09-2008, 09:18 AM
I think Sean May needs to be out there doing some sort of exercise, even if it's just mopping up sweat.

That's a zero sum game. The act of mopping up sweat would be such a physical workout for May that he would start sweating profusely making more sweat to clean up off the floor.

It's an evil idea, ugadevil.

onepresent
02-09-2008, 10:25 AM
The John Edwards ambulance chasers of the world are always out there lurking...especially when related to a private university with deep pockets.

At first I thought this was an unrelated dig and trolling. But you know, Edwards was at the game.

Kimist
02-09-2008, 10:47 AM
At first I thought this was an unrelated dig and trolling. But you know, Edwards was at the game.

A troll I definitely am NOT! :o

I just read a lot more on these boards than I ever post.......

As for Breckie-Boy, I never turn down an opportunity to "comment." For some time I've stood by my observation that he could not get elected mayor of Chapel Heel if the only opponent was Coach K. (You just gotta live in this state to understand we don't use the JE snake oil.)

Gotta quit at that, or this might get bumped to another board.

Time to go to the BC game!

k

Indoor66
02-09-2008, 10:58 AM
As for the game in the Dean Dome, the thought definitely DID cross my mind that HansTravel was obviously gassed and was getting at least an extended break while he "directed" the clean up activity along the baseline. TowelGate IS a possibility!

k

That was my precise thought as it occurred over and over. Hans leaning over, dripping on the court and then pointing to the spot to be wipped.

Maybe I am oversensitive to Carolina's persistent efforts to get free time outs - "injuries" with miraculous recovery, Contacts and now wet floors. Seems there might be a pattern?

Kimist
02-09-2008, 11:16 AM
Maybe I am oversensitive to Carolina's persistent efforts to get free time outs - "injuries" with miraculous recovery, contacts and now wet floors. Seems there might be a pattern?

Perhaps, but that is just the heels' way of offsetting the fact that the refs always work against their team and that for some unknown reason EVERYBODY goes to the foul line much more than their own players. :rolleyes:

k

DukieInKansas
02-09-2008, 12:47 PM
Perhaps, but that is just the heels' way of offsetting the fact that the refs always work against their team and that for some unknown reason EVERYBODY goes to the foul line much more than their own players. :rolleyes:

k

Speaking of fouls, did I really hear correctly during the game that Hanswhatever has actually gone to the charity line 91 times more than anyone else? How can that possibly be - especially if Duke gets all the calls? :D

wilson
02-09-2008, 12:53 PM
...And for the love of God above, it's not 'bush' league, it's 'Busch league.'

Uh, no it's not. That phrase refers to out-of-the-way, unaffiliated minor league baseball teams that play in rundown facilities and towns..."out in the bush," hence the term "bush league."
Some have amended it to refer to the Busch Series, NASCAR's answer to triple-A, but the use of the phrase "bush league" dates from well before the creation of the Busch Series.

Native
02-09-2008, 03:56 PM

Hey! I don't mean to start an argument here, but I used to be a ballboy back in the day, and no one then thought I was useless. In fact, the Crazies seemed to think I was doing a good job. Well enough, in fact, that they crowd-surfed me like Dickie V.

Sure, we might've been a little slow, but that sort of thing makes a difference in a kid's life. I know safety is an issue for both players and ballpetsons, but I can say I'll never forget hanging around Chris Duhon.

Got_Duke
02-10-2008, 02:53 AM
To those kids it was all fun and games

But man..... my friend and I were getting quite frustrated over the issue because we were in the heat of the moment and were tired of watching the UNC players and the refs DIRECT the kids to the same spot they just "wiped up" because they didn't do it efficiently

No knock on KIDS in general, so let's stray away from that accusation.... I.e. "Don't say bad stuff about kids"

We're not criticizing the KIDS, we're criticizing the "sweat cleaner-upper system" if I may be coloquial......

B-well
04-01-2009, 09:03 PM
My grandson Tim was one of the last ball boys. His little sister will never have a chance - unless she becomes a Duke Manager.

I am glad to know the change was made for safety reasons. Tim thought it was made because the Clemson coach complained to the officials about him and his fellow ball boys agitating Clemson players during free throw attempts.

Those kids (the ball boys and ball girls) had a great experience in Cameron - and I am forever grateful to Duke for giving them that opportunity.

1999ballboy
04-02-2009, 02:00 AM
Hey! I don't mean to start an argument here, but I used to be a ballboy back in the day, and no one then thought I was useless. In fact, the Crazies seemed to think I was doing a good job. Well enough, in fact, that they crowd-surfed me like Dickie V.

Sure, we might've been a little slow, but that sort of thing makes a difference in a kid's life. I know safety is an issue for both players and ballpetsons, but I can say I'll never forget hanging around Chris Duhon.
We are brethren, you and I. As my username indicates, I was a ballboy for what may have been the most talented Duke team of all time. Only I was never crowd-surfed. Although one time when I rushed out to wipe up some sweat, Dickie V applauded my hustle on the air and said something like "Get that kid a scholarship, baby!" It was an amazing experience. We got to rebound for the players during pregame shootarounds back then too. We weren't allowed to shoot, except one time Ryan Caldbeck let us all take one shot each (I missed mine :( ) One time Will Avery took us all 4-on-1 and didn't go easy on us at all. I have fond memories of Nate James calling me "little man" when asking for the ball. I have a not-so-fond memory of hitting Trajan Langdon in the face when he wasn't ready for a pass. I witnessed Kenny Inge stomp on Battier's face up close and man, was it ugly. One time a Crazie spilled Coke in the front row right at midcourt and it seeped under the barrier onto the court, and I was out cleaning it up for what seemed like 10 minutes as the Crazies chanted "Wax on, wax off." But I'm not gonna say no one thought I was worthless, because, odds are, they did. Right now, I totally agree with having adults wipe up the sweat. But I took advantage of an unforgettable opportunity while it was still there.