PDA

View Full Version : Difference Between Duke and Carolina Players

BlueintheFace
02-07-2008, 04:13 PM
As the game was winding down and Duke had the game in hand, CBS cut to a shot of Carolina players laughing on the bench. Does a single person here think that Duke players would be cracking jokes on the bench in the waning moments of a loss to Carolina at home? I can't imagine such a situation. To me, this is the difference between Coach K and Roy Will, the Duke program and the Carolina program.

Chard
02-07-2008, 04:19 PM
I noticed. I then imagined then running up and down stairs today. Once Roy sees that, they're doomed.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-07-2008, 04:20 PM
As the game was winding down and Duke had the game in hand, CBS cut to a shot of Carolina players laughing on the bench. Does a single person here think that Duke players would be cracking jokes on the bench in the waning moments of a loss to Carolina at home? I can't imagine such a situation. To me, this is the difference between Coach K and Roy Will, the Duke program and the Carolina program.
I'm not sure that I agree with that idea. Some times people laugh when they really feel like crying or when they feel awkward in a situation. Did you see Kansas players do the same thing while Roy was there?

I'm happy with the outcome of the game and enjoyed seeing two high quality programs play a great game without the histrionics becoming SOP today. What a refreshing contrast to many in the ACC and elsewhere!

uncwdevil
02-07-2008, 04:25 PM

I saw that last night, and it reminded me of McBob last year cussing in the towel on the bench during the Carolina game. People talk about his attitude problem all the time, but I would rather a player cuss into a towel than laugh and giggle in that situation. At least it showed that he cared.

ugadevil
02-07-2008, 04:25 PM
I noticed last night how tuned in our guys were to Coach K. In the 2nd half, after Henderson blocked the shot that was called for goaltending, I think it went to a TV timeout. As the feed was breaking away (Raycom), it showed the Duke players on the bench watching Coach K. It was cool because you could see how intense their concentration was on Coach. Am I overanalyzing? Very possible. But, it was still great to see how focused our guys were.

dukerev
02-07-2008, 04:27 PM
Actually, I think the difference in the Duke and Carolina players was in the demeanor of each team earlier in the game. Carolina came out really, really sky high emotionally. We took their best shot early, punched them in the mouth and took the fire out of their belly. It looked like UNC was relying more on motivation as a motivator than composure under pressure. (Which solves the question we had on a thread the past few days, I think). I hope that when we play in CIS we're still as composed, because the emotional pressure will be on our guys then.

Johnboy
02-07-2008, 04:33 PM
The difference is 11 points, at their place. (Woo Hoo!)

Spencer's Daddy
02-07-2008, 04:36 PM
Sean May was also quite smiley near the end of the game, behind the bench.

Classof06
02-07-2008, 04:38 PM

I couldn't believe that when I saw it. I started laughing when I saw that because I knew when Roy sees that it's over. I think it was Will Graves and another player.

The best part about it is that they tried hard to conceal their smiles, which they probably did from the people immediately around them. But the camera never lies...

ugadevil
02-07-2008, 04:42 PM

Because he knew dinner was waiting for him.

Uncle Drew
02-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Forget the two players laughing, I want know which players (I think it was 2) were dancing at the start of the game, durring and after introductions. You're getting ready to play your rival, shouldn't you be saving some energy instead of doing.....THAT? I think it was dancing. It was like a combination of Swan Lake and a hopscotch game on a spiraling board.

THAT is the difference in Duke and UNC....class and a sense of dignity.

Methodistman
02-07-2008, 04:47 PM
Having fun in the game is also a difference. Just check out the smile on Kyle - the kid loves to play.

wumhenry
02-07-2008, 04:57 PM
You've got to give them this much: in the course of a high-stakes game that resulted in a disappointing loss for them they played clean and never stooped to thuggery. That's more than you can say for VT, GT, or FSU.

Karl Beem
02-07-2008, 05:01 PM

Probably thinking of his next box of donuts.:rolleyes:

BlueintheFace
02-07-2008, 05:05 PM
I do give them credit there... Carolina is generally a very classy program. Laughing during an important loss shows an attitude problem, but it is so far and away better than playing dirty.

mgtr
02-07-2008, 05:14 PM
You've got to give them this much: in the course of a high-stakes game that resulted in a disappointing loss for them they played clean and never stooped to thuggery. That's more than you can say for VT, GT, or FSU.

I agree completely. Thuggery would have ruined a great game.

bjornolf
02-07-2008, 06:03 PM
Forget the two players laughing, I want know which players (I think it was 2) were dancing at the start of the game, durring and after introductions. You're getting ready to play your rival, shouldn't you be saving some energy instead of doing.....THAT? I think it was dancing. It was like a combination of Swan Lake and a hopscotch game on a spiraling board.

on PTI the other day. He said that Green (I think it was Green) has been doing that for quite a while before every game when they play a certain song at Carolina before the tip. He does it to blow off some excess energy and have some fun before the game. It's just his pregame ritual. Roy said he had no problem with it, so...

weezie
02-07-2008, 06:44 PM
Difference between Duke and Carolina players? Well, obviously, the Duke players are better dancers.

I think they're the best dancers in the land...and they're getting ready for a dance all the way to San Antonio.

Lulu
02-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Aside from the giggle, did anyone notice that Lawson barely seemed to be supporting his team. You'd almost think he wanted his team to lose without him. He put on a face like he was sad he couldn't play, but I didn't see him get that excited whenever UNC seemed like they might mount a comeback either. I'm not saying UNC had much to cheer about anyway last night though.

Duvall
02-07-2008, 07:06 PM
Making broad assumptions about a player or team's character based on a handful of facial expressions is pretty stupid.

kcduke75
02-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Making broad assumptions about a player or team's character based on a handful of facial expressions is pretty stupid.

We are just having fun - but let's not devolve in Carowhina fans and focus too much on them.

GO Duke!

yancem
02-07-2008, 07:38 PM

One of the players was Green who had a miserable game shooting wise!

dukegirlinsc
02-07-2008, 10:59 PM

did he swallow a spaceship?

devildeac
02-07-2008, 11:45 PM
simple answer: the name on the FRONT of the jersey...

EarlJam
02-08-2008, 12:38 AM

Bingo!

-EarlJam

Lulu
02-08-2008, 02:29 AM

a handful? i saw more of lawson's face last night than i do the local news anchor

billy
02-08-2008, 12:32 PM
Aside from the giggle, did anyone notice that Lawson barely seemed to be supporting his team. You'd almost think he wanted his team to lose without him. He put on a face like he was sad he couldn't play, but I didn't see him get that excited whenever UNC seemed like they might mount a comeback either. I'm not saying UNC had much to cheer about anyway last night though.

What I read from his expression was "damn I wish I was playing, there's nothing I can do". I lost a 12-pack on whether he'd play or not, by the way.

Haven't read all the posts yet, but, did anyone comment on the Raycom version showing, clearly, K saying to Paulus and Nelson with about a half-minute left to "Get off the floor, no celebrating (after the buzzer)"? To me, that's the definition of class (and, to be fair, I bet deputy dog would do the same).

Olympic Fan
02-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Haven't read all the posts yet, but, did anyone comment on the Raycom version showing, clearly, K saying to Paulus and Nelson with about a half-minute left to "Get off the floor, no celebrating (after the buzzer)"? To me, that's the definition of class (and, to be fair, I bet deputy dog would do the same).

Just to be fair, Dean did exactly the same thing in 1989, in the closing seconds of a big UNC upset in Cameron. Scott Williams and Steve Bucknell started bouncing around on the bench and Dean told them to "save it for the locker room" and made them calm down.

Clipsfan
02-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Just to be fair, Dean did exactly the same thing in 1989, in the closing seconds of a big UNC upset in Cameron. Scott Williams and Steve Bucknell started bouncing around on the bench and Dean told them to "save it for the locker room" and made them calm down.

Was the upset due to Dean hitting the scorer's table and adding points to UNC's total?

CMS2478
02-08-2008, 12:50 PM
I'm not sure that I agree with that idea. Some times people laugh when they really feel like crying or when they feel awkward in a situation. Did you see Kansas players do the same thing while Roy was there?

I'm happy with the outcome of the game and enjoyed seeing two high quality programs play a great game without the histrionics becoming SOP today. What a refreshing contrast to many in the ACC and elsewhere!

Deon Thompson and someone else (Lawson, Stephenson, ?) were definetily whispering and laughing about something. Not sure how much to read into it, but I noticed the same thing and remembered thinking that it doesn't matter whether Roy saw it or not, I would not be laughing and joking in that situation after losing a big game.

6th Man
02-08-2008, 12:57 PM
It was interesting to me to watch Green dance around like a fool, then the cameras pan to Demarcus and he had that look on his face that he was intense and ready to take care of business. It was a huge contrast. Though as has been mentioned, I have much respect for UNC and the lack of dirty play. It seemed we had a string of dirty plays from various ACC teams against us. Ironically, the only 2 teams I think that have avoided cheap shots are Maryland and UNC.

OldPhiKap
02-08-2008, 01:03 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Iu8PjILyis

77devil
02-08-2008, 01:05 PM
I saw that last night, and it reminded me of McBob last year cussing in the towel on the bench during the Carolina game. People talk about his attitude problem all the time, but I would rather a player cuss into a towel than laugh and giggle in that situation. At least it showed that he cared.

Maybe he was upset that he had stayed for year 2 and his draft status was dropping.

calltheobvious
02-08-2008, 01:06 PM
Our coach and players have more class, dignity, and grace. Our students and our alumni/ae are smarter, better-looking, and will have more successful children. Also, our feet don't stink as much.

Please. This is ridiculous. A couple of guys probably ran twenty extra suicides yesterday for acting like, well, 19-year-old boys. Our guys do silly things, too, occasionally, and those situations are likely addressed by K et al the way Roy probably took care of his business yesterday.

Can we step down from the collective high horse and just enjoy the great win?

BlueDevilJay
02-08-2008, 01:09 PM
Our coach and players have more class, dignity, and grace. Our students and our alumni/ae are smarter, better-looking, and will have more successful children. Also, our feet don't stink as much.

Please. This is ridiculous. A couple of guys probably ran twenty extra suicides yesterday for acting like, well, 19-year-old boys. Our guys do silly things, too, occasionally, and those situations are likely addressed by K et al the way Roy probably took care of his business yesterday.

Can we step down from the collective high horse and just enjoy the great win?

I'm with stupid. :)

Devilsfan
02-08-2008, 01:10 PM
based on his movements before the game? And he can't even dance as well as Jerry Springer!!!!

wumhenry
02-08-2008, 01:14 PM
It was interesting to me to watch Green dance around like a fool, then the cameras pan to Demarcus and he had that look on his face that he was intense and ready to take care of business. It was a huge contrast. Though as has been mentioned, I have much respect for UNC and the lack of dirty play. It seemed we had a string of dirty plays from various ACC teams against us. Ironically, the only 2 teams I think that have avoided cheap shots are Maryland and UNC.
Also Clemson.
Offhand, I don't remember any thuggery in the Virginia game, either.

DevilDad
02-08-2008, 02:32 PM
Did everyone hear "K" ( obviously an open mike was near ) telling our guys not to celebrate, just walk off the court- Always a class act!!

buddy
02-08-2008, 03:09 PM
I wasn't sure what to expect in the aftermath of last year's overblown unpleasantness. I thought the Carolina players acquitted themselves well. No one pulled a Cliff Frazier (see Illinois-Indiana thread), no one threw anything at Duke players, no one tried to undercut anyone, no one threw a punch or took any unnecessary cheap shot. Both teams played hard. Our guys really stepped up in the second half when Nelson had to go to the bench with 16 minutes left and four fouls. I would rather praise the class of our athletes than worry about Carolina's, although I thought they acted with class on the court throughout the game. We cannot divine their thought processes, nor should we try. I am extremely proud to be a Duke fan. I met some of these young men on the Maui trip. Be assured our team is a class act. Our coach is a class act. And our fans are a class act (even when we get cranky on message boards and complain about foul shooting, rebounding, turnovers, inability to defend, etc.) I frankly did not know what to expect Wednesday night, and am grateful that the loonies stayed home. It was a great rivalry basketball game. The best team won. GTHC, GTH.

BigTedder
02-08-2008, 04:17 PM
Because he knew dinner was waiting for him.

Ziiiiigggggy Piiiiiigggggyyyyyy haha

Acymetric
02-08-2008, 04:36 PM
Ziiiiigggggy Piiiiiigggggyyyyyy haha

You're my hero