PDA

View Full Version : Singler comparison

matrix1686
02-07-2008, 02:32 PM
I know a lot of people wanted to compare Singler to Dunleavy coming out of HS with both being tall, white, and from Oregon, but after watching him I think Singler looks a lot more like Mr. Battier. While Singler shoots like Dunleavy, he has a post game and is more of an inside threat like Battier. Plus, he is such a hustler always getting in great defensive position to get charges and blocks. Dunleavy never did that, while Battier was the king of hustle. What's scary is Singler is only a freshman but his numbers already compare to those of Battier's junior year. This kid is easily the best player we've had in the program since Luol Deng. Not to mention he's a better prospect than anybody Chapel Hill currently has to offer.

ugadevil
02-07-2008, 02:38 PM
Singler has his own game. He has skills that Dunleavy had when he was at Duke, and he also has some of the same skills that Shane had. However, be careful not to build expectations so that Singler will not be considered a success unless he becomes the next Shane Battier. In my opinion, Battier is a once-in-a-long-time type of player who we may never have again at Duke. If Singler doesn't end up being the same type of player that Battier was, that's ok...Singler is still a great player and we'll always remember how unique Shane was.

CDu
02-07-2008, 02:52 PM
I wouldn't really say Singler is highly similar to either player. While he has some characteristics similar to Battier and some similar to Dunleavy, his game is fairly different from both.

4decadedukie
02-07-2008, 03:05 PM
I am beginning to hope Kyle's LEADERSHIP and character will eventually equal Shane's, which is extremely high praise and suggests very good things for Duke's fortunes during the next years.

Bob Green
02-07-2008, 03:34 PM
Singler is relentless like Laettner.

ugadevil
02-07-2008, 03:36 PM

I feel like that should be the start of another limerick.:)

dukelifer
02-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Singler is not like any other Blue Devil but has the potential to be among the all time greats at Duke. He has a different skill set and in many ways is more advanced than most of the great freshman "bigger "guys in Duke history. He clearly does not play like a freshman and loves the big moment- and rising to the moment is something you are born with.

DukeDude
02-07-2008, 03:49 PM

I think that is the best comparison. Singler, as a freshman, has the best mental toughness of any player since Laettner. He never tries to do too much and never plays out of control. He lets the game come to him but never hesitates when it does come. I think he really adopted the "next play" motto from K because the guy is totally unflappable.

Duke09
02-07-2008, 03:56 PM
I feel like that should be the start of another limerick.:)

Singler is relentless like Laettner
And has already beat NC Stater
He's defeated UNC
With clutch shots of three,
may his many feats grow even greater

sorry for my attempt at a limerick

superdave
02-07-2008, 03:59 PM
A unc fan friend asked me this question two months ago - his question was "a white Deng?" and I said more like a white Battier.

Although I think Singler's offensive game is much better and Battier's defense was better.

Let's hope that Kyle developes Laettner's take no prisoners attitude. His rebounding last night down the stretch might have been a glimpse of that. And I absoltely loved the fact the all-american could not guard him last night.

Jarhead
02-07-2008, 04:03 PM
Bob, I like the Laettner comparison. The skills may be a little different, but the guy does have heart. I've had him penciled in for ACC all-freshman team, but now I have him down in ink.

tux
02-07-2008, 04:11 PM
A unc fan friend asked me this question two months ago - his question was "a white Deng?" and I said more like a white Battier.

Although I think Singler's offensive game is much better and Battier's defense was better.

Let's hope that Kyle developes Laettner's take no prisoners attitude. His rebounding last night down the stretch might have been a glimpse of that. And I absoltely loved the fact the all-american could not guard him last night.

To be fair, Duke (and Kyle) couldn't guard the AA either. And Kyle is more of a 3 than a power forward. So, it was a mismatch on both ends of the court and I think if they were forced to play one-on-one (with no double teams), Tyler would have scored 50 points.

That being said, Kyle has to be one of the top freshmen Duke has ever had. He gets to where he needs to be in a hurry but never seems harried, doesn't force anything but also doesn't shy away when the game is on the line.

devildeac
02-07-2008, 08:02 PM
Singler is relentless like Laettner
And has already beat NC Stater
He's defeated UNC
With clutch shots of three,
may his many feats grow even greater

sorry for my attempt at a limerick

not bad, not bad at all for a 'walk-on'. search out the 'limerick' thread to hone your skills(and pad your post totals:D )

gotham devil
02-07-2008, 08:04 PM
A better Detlef Schrempf

weezie
02-07-2008, 08:40 PM
I'm thinking he's more of an old school fundamentals type guy. He's so "there" wherever the play is, always ready for the outlet, ready for the shot...kind of a Jack Marin with a much better haircut.

ugadevil
02-07-2008, 08:48 PM
A better Detlef Schrempf

I'd say Frank Caliendo would argue with you on that as Bill Walton.