PDA

View Full Version : McRoberts

smklin
02-27-2007, 03:03 PM
ok, just wondering, is anyone else REALLY tired of that leaning/fading/off balance post crap that mcroberts has been using lately? he'll try several fakes and if the defender doesn't go for it, he'll just throw it off the glass. when i see that the contrast between him and hansborough is huge. hansborough would just burrow it down to the basket then power it up--something i'd LOVE to see mcroberts do.

phaedrus
02-27-2007, 03:22 PM
it looks like he's so afraid of having his shot block that he wants to pump fake and up-and-under until the defenders disappear. in reality he's giving time for help defense to come. however, this is still vast progress in his post game from the beginning of the season - the footwork and shot-making ability is there, but the instincts still are not.

if he keeps improving and gains some confidence in that 12-15 foot jumper (i'd love to see him knock down that tim duncan 15 footer bank shot) he will be an offensive juggernaut.

bhd28
02-27-2007, 04:11 PM
Hansborough does go up stronger than Josh. That is why he shoots a whole 3% better from the field. I mean a big man shooting 53% from the field? Some kind of a record, right? Not like Josh who only shoots 50.4% from the field. I mean come on. (sarcasm) In reality, Tyler doesn't really shoot all that efficiently. He DOES get crazy fouls called for him, though. (My guess is that the officials sympathize with him because they are all around the same age.)

Josh just isn't strong enough yet to create space the way Hans does (and Shelden did). I also think it hurts that he shoots jumpers lefty and shoots runners/layups righty. When it is an off-balance shot inside, does he go lefty or righty? I wonder if that contributes to his supposed lack of touch. As he gets stronger, he will score better with contact. Until then (not happening this year), he just needs to try to use more quickness to get a shot rather than waiting to react to the defenders. He should know by now he isn't going to get 150 fouls called for him like Hans will. My opinion is that Josh just needs to try to score quickly and without trying to draw contact.

civileng68
02-27-2007, 05:07 PM
Hansborough does go up stronger than Josh. That is why he shoots a whole 3% better from the field. I mean a big man shooting 53% from the field? Some kind of a record, right? Not like Josh who only shoots 50.4% from the field. I mean come on. (sarcasm) In reality, Tyler doesn't really shoot all that efficiently. He DOES get crazy fouls called for him, though. (My guess is that the officials sympathize with him because they are all around the same age.)

Josh just isn't strong enough yet to create space the way Hans does (and Shelden did). I also think it hurts that he shoots jumpers lefty and shoots runners/layups righty. When it is an off-balance shot inside, does he go lefty or righty? I wonder if that contributes to his supposed lack of touch. As he gets stronger, he will score better with contact. Until then (not happening this year), he just needs to try to use more quickness to get a shot rather than waiting to react to the defenders. He should know by now he isn't going to get 150 fouls called for him like Hans will. My opinion is that Josh just needs to try to score quickly and without trying to draw contact.

I agree but, I think one problem is Duke's offense at times seems very unorganized. It seems to have no plan. I think in the past with the Brand/Battier/Williams team, K really let them run their own O. However, this team just seems to be too immature right now to do it.

I think McRoberts is an incredible talent but, I think he has too much uncontrolled emotion. I think it's pretty obvious at times that he gets taken out of the game with his agression and what seems to be anger. Intensity is only as great as you can control it and use it.

Also, for him to be getting so many assists, I think something is wrong. Paulus should have those number TO McRoberts.

Duke15304
02-27-2007, 05:08 PM
Josh seems to have the up and under and he doesnt take advantage of it, It is a very effective move, and its a high percentage shot then the fade

GDT
02-27-2007, 06:16 PM
Josh isn't HansB. They're not the same player, and they never will be (at least I hope not). I think that Josh's defensive progression has been immense, one of the most impressive from Freshman to Sophomore that I can remember at Duke. I agree, sometimes the shots are cringeworthy, but because K stresses defense, it seems to me that he has done what his coach has most requested, to a point I didn't really think he could reach in such a short time. How much more can we ask of him?

smklin
02-27-2007, 06:24 PM
i agree GDT. he's a LOT better on defense now than he was last year. and i can definitely see where yall are coming from with your remarks about him offensively. i'd just like to see him really take control of a game the way i know he can. wow and in no way would i rather have hans. just think about how tough it's gonna be for the heels next year once alsheimers sets in and he'll have to replace dentures rather than contacts every ten minutes.

johnnydakota
02-27-2007, 06:25 PM
Good post, bhd28. I haven't heard any mention of his jump hook, which has become a real good shot. I haven't heard mention of him getting the ball 8-12 feet from the basket because it's either late in coming, or he has to go out to get it. He is open initially alot more than you might think. Up until the GT game he had scored in double figures in 15 of his last 16 games, but one or two without much scoring and here come the critics. For those comparing him to Hansbrough, get back to me when Hansbrough helps break the press, averages close to 4 assists, and blocks shots/defends like Josh. He is stronger around the basket, no doubt, but outside of that give me Josh every time.

Troublemaker
02-27-2007, 06:32 PM
Josh's post game is about where Shelden's was as a freshman. Hopefully Josh stays, gains strength and time to practice this summer and comes back with a post game that's like Shelden's sophomore year, or slightly better. That should be enough to make Duke a Final Four contender next year with the surrounding talent.

riverside6
02-27-2007, 07:13 PM
The thing that is funny about Josh is the way he shoots with his shoulders facing the defender, as opposed to being perpendicular to create space. Shelden Williams is a classic example of this, as he never had both shoulders square to his defender.