PDA

View Full Version : Duke MBB v. UNC-CH postgame thread

Pages : [1] 2

throatybeard
02-06-2008, 11:06 PM
Tyler Hansbrough was not harmed in the making of this thread.

DoubleDuke Dad
02-06-2008, 11:18 PM
How sweet it is!

DukeHoopsGuru
The rebounding was outstanding in the 2nd half. That was the hidden key to the game. That was the best they rebounded all year. What an adjustment by the staff.

wilko
Props to Lance tonite who is growing into his role.
more later

CameronBlue
Ol Roy needs to check into the Holiday Inn Express

(I've had vertigo and it ain't fun)

Karl Beem
Hahahahahahahahaha!

Abraxas
02-06-2008, 11:19 PM
Paulus was the man, but Singler played amazing defense on the H-man.

DU82
02-06-2008, 11:19 PM
Great team effort. Not sure who I'd give the "chicken" to (old time reference there!)

mgtr
02-06-2008, 11:20 PM
I agree about Lance Thomas. I have been fairly negative about him, but in the last five or six games I have impressed. He is growing into his role.

vango
02-06-2008, 11:20 PM
Coach K: "No celebration. We walk off the court."

Class.

MOTM = whole team. But Scheyer, Greg, and Lance were awesome. Lance is coming on and he looked determined to show what he could do. Singler - really a Junior? Poise.

Billy Packer - he took Woody's place on the UNC television network? When did this happen? I rarely comment on such things but did he say anything positive about Duke. Anything?

mph
02-06-2008, 11:21 PM
Great all around game. Everybody contributed. Singler, Markie, and Scheyer, and Hendo were solid. LT played his best game of the year and GP was deadly from behind the arc. GTHC.

Bluedawg
02-06-2008, 11:23 PM
At the end of the game the microphones picked him us saying:

No celebration we just walk off the court

He is truly a class act not wanting to show up UNC at their house.

CameronBlue
was the MOTM but this game should be remember for Lance's contributions.

(Oh but wait..Duke doesn't develop big men.)

dukeisawesome
Great game. I now feel like we can win the national championship. We might not, but it's possible. We've exceeded this year's expectations enormously IMO.

Devil in the Blue Dress
How tough are our guys!!!! How many teams have so many players scoring in double figures game after game? How many teams can run such a strong rotation? The answer is DUKE!

I love the way this team works together, not as individuals. They get better each game.

DukeDude
Rebounds: Duke 40, UNC 41

Great team effort on the boards! Great job by Singler and Thomas on staying out of foul trouble.

captmojo
02-06-2008, 11:25 PM
Echoes all around. Packer, does that baby blue streak up your back burn?

Somebody explain what happened when DeMarcus was called for the fourth foul.

DukeDevil
02-06-2008, 11:25 PM
woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Yeeeeeeeeeeeah Go To Hell Carolina Go To Hell!!!! Go Devils Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohooooooooooooooo oooooooooo Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet Victory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*ahem*....sorry...had to put that out there

OZZIE4DUKE
02-06-2008, 11:27 PM
Everyone (except TK) played very well tonight. GReat effort. Mostly smart play. Clutch shooting. I am very happy tonight!

GO TO HELL, carolina, GO TO HELL!

_Gary
Wow, this was nice! Great play by almost everyone from Duke. Greg shot great; Lance played nice solid D; Henderson made some nice defensive blocks; Scheyer hit his FT's late; Kyle was solid inside and out; and DeMarcus was his normal, great self.

Great win!!!! Go Devils!!!!!!!!

dukestheheat
Greg Paulus, Duke's Stud Playa of the Game!!

GREAT JOB! Tremendous floor game and leadership!

This team is so tough, so resilient, and winning over there is another BIG win!

dth.

keithg
02-06-2008, 11:29 PM
In all honesty, as much as Carolina is hated, it was nice to play a game that wasn't a constant scrum with jersey pulling and flagrant fouls.

DavidBenAkiva
02-06-2008, 11:30 PM
I have never NEVER been so angry at officials for bad calls. Argh. OK, there, I've had my angry moment.

MOTM has to be Singler. No other way around. Did not make one mistake, made huge plays. Awesome.

GTHC GTH!!!

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

GTHC GTH!!!

mgtr
02-06-2008, 11:30 PM
I loved almost every aspect of this game (except, as noted, TK). I think every player made at least one great, great play. Many made a lot of great plays. This has to go down as a "signature" win. If we don't stub our toe, we are a number one seed in the NCAA tournament. Great, great game.
I have never said it before, but GTHC, GTH!

BD80
02-06-2008, 11:31 PM
Blamed Ellington's bad night on Lawson's absence

Great job by ESPN to have Ellington lowlights compiled

dukelifer
02-06-2008, 11:32 PM
Wow- wow- wow!. Duke absolutely dominated that game- almost throughout. Yes, there were shaky moments at the end of the two halves-but Duke did their thing and controlled the game. Except for Hansblah having an outstanding game- Duke’s D was able to shut down the other key players. For Duke on offense it was all about balance. Balance- balance – balance. It started from the beginning of the game when 4 players scored from the get go. Paulus had a great game-particularly shooting the ball and except for some horrible turnovers at the end- but he was in control. If there was a stand out player to me- it was Lance Thomas. He looked so much more relaxed and his inside scoring was a great bonus. He used the glass very effectively. If continues this- Duke will much more difficult to play. Scheyer was the player of the game in my mind. He was everywhere tonight. He just has a great nose for the ball. Singler again played great- a very complete game. Henderson had his moments but he played enforcer tonight. And Duke did this with Nelson in serious foul trouble. But Nelson hit his throws down the stretch and that was very key. No excuses for UNC. Q Thomas played pretty well –particularly in the second half. Yes they are better with Lawson- but a win there is a big win. This was a team effort- a great game plan by K- and a great win for Duke. You have to be mighty proud of the guys tonight.

dbowen
02-06-2008, 11:32 PM
Six players in double figures? WOW!!!!!

Great win. What an effort. K had them prepared to the T.

snewman92
02-06-2008, 11:33 PM
For me, the key was not only LT's defense but that he finished offensive plays that he often hasn't this year. Of course, Singler and Paulus played brilliantly; Henderson has to be the most athletic player we've had since Maggette; and we forced the Holes into some costly mistakes. I can't remember a Duke team I've enjoyed watching more since '92.

And one more thing--I can't help myself--on the highlights shown by those idiots in Bristol, CT, one might have thought that the Holes won the game. . .I'm not angry about it really--just so ridiculous I have to laugh.

DankeShane
02-06-2008, 11:33 PM
Packer's commentary was straight up laughable, some of my favorite moments were when he heaped glowing praise on UNC for plays that they almost were able to pull off.

He said something at one point that Hans had 'great timing' getting to a rebound, but Duke ended up getting the rebound on that play.

Another time he praised some other Carolina player for his quickness getting up and grabbing a rebound even though he was called for a foul on the floor before the rebound could take place.

Such a joke.

ArkieDukie
02-06-2008, 11:34 PM
In all honesty, as much as Carolina is hated, it was nice to play a game that wasn't a constant scrum with jersey pulling and flagrant fouls.

What a great victory. Both teams played well, and no cheap shots. Of course, we played better. :)

In all seriousness, I do respect UNC for playing a clean game. Definitely puts them a notch above several of our other conference foes.

yancem
02-06-2008, 11:34 PM
Anybody pick up Packer's comment about Ellington having the prettiest stroke that the ACC has seen in a long time? WTF? Has he ever heard of a guy named JJ Redick? He only graduated 2 years ago, is that a long time?

Anyway great game! Singler is maturing very quickly and Thomas is really starting to contribute. His rebounding is much improved and he is showing some solid offensive moves. He also doesn't seem to pick as many stupid fouls. Paulus was unconscious from behind the arc but had a few bone headed plays. Scheyer just does everything well. It was nice to see him find his rhythm offensively.

BTW Henderson's one block of Hansolo is pretty much exactly what his "flagrant foul" would have been last year if the ball hadn't already been stripped.

Duke76
02-06-2008, 11:35 PM
and the town of Hell is on fire, but our guys got out ok

Duke76
02-06-2008, 11:37 PM
brando was worse...it really is laughable but the hellhole is still on fire

Lid
02-06-2008, 11:38 PM
What a great victory. Both teams played well, and no cheap shots. Of course, we played better. :)

In all seriousness, I do respect UNC for playing a clean game. Definitely puts them a notch above several of our other conference foes.
Agree completely. This was actually a fun game to watch; it was so nice to see basketball instead of boxing.

MOTM is definitely Paulus. I mean Scheyer. I mean Thomas. I mean Singler. I mean K!

monkey
For me, the key was not only LT's defense but that he finished offensive plays that he often hasn't this year. Of course, Singler and Paulus played brilliantly; Henderson has to be the most athletic player we've had since Maggette; and we forced the Holes into some costly mistakes. I can't remember a Duke team I've enjoyed watching more since '92.

And one more thing--I can't help myself--on the highlights shown by those idiots in Bristol, CT, one might have thought that the Holes won the game. . .I'm not angry about it really--just so ridiculous I have to laugh.

Totally agree with the above about the highlights - I kept thinking "y'know, I could have sworn we won this game ..."

LT was great offensively and defensively. Paulus was great in this game. How about some props for Scheyer though? His free throw shooting put the dagger in.

This is a fun team to watch. The rematch will be a blood match.

sandinmyshoes
Like some others, I have to give UNC credit for playing clean and hard despite having to go with their third string point guard. But our guys had to over come what was probably UNC's most emotionally charged effort, and they did. The rematch (or rematches) should be legendary.

BD80
02-06-2008, 11:40 PM
How much damage did they do to Ty's ankle letting him out on the court testing it? Clemson s next and Lawson could be important on Sunday. It would be a shame if they had to bame another loss on his ankle:D

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-06-2008, 11:41 PM
This was the best game of the year. Both teams competed hard without all the physical combat becoming too common today. Both teams conducted themselves with dignity and class. Both coaches worked hard to get the best out of their teams and then after the game greeted each other in a cordial fashion. (I was lip reading and listening to Bob Harris.)

Yes, I'm glad we won and will enjoy it until we host Carolina in Cameron on March 8! But I must also say that Carolina is a great rival. (I'm speaking of the program, not the fans.) These two programs have run along parallel in success from time to time. Other times one is moving up and the other is moving down a bit..... but not for long. Can this great rivalry be matched anywhere else? I don't think so!

77devil
02-06-2008, 11:42 PM

Class.

Class? Absolutely no question but it was as much a very smart move as it was a classy act. K knows there's a rematch coming and has no interest in providing the holes with additional motivation.

devildeac
How much damage did they do to Ty's ankle letting him out on the court testing it? Clemson s next and Lawson could be important on Sunday. It would be a shame if they had to bame another loss on his ankle:D

yea, but how banged up are the tiggers? and remember, they are 0 and forever in chappaheeya:(

hurleyfor3
Look at the things we did:

hit 3s
force turnovers
let the big guy rack up points but lock down on the perimeter
beat the press and execute in transition

Ladies and gentlemen, this is what you call Duke Basketball. I wouldn't want to win any other way.

Separately, we also learned Tyler Handsblow alone can't beat you. Which should really be obvious.

mgtr
02-06-2008, 11:43 PM
I agree completely about how clean the game was. It was a pleasure to watch basketball instead of WWF, or whatever some of the games we have been in have been. I love basketball, I hate slugfests. Wake up NCAA!

Surfsideron
02-06-2008, 11:43 PM

Class.

Billy Packer - he took Woody's place on the UNC television network? When did this happen? I rarely comment on such things but did he say anything positive about Duke. Anything?

I agree on the Packer thing. He was absolutely a complete ^$%^$%^$%. I loved the one time when he said "Smith should get rid of the ball...." as Smith drove to the basket and scored!

He found fault with everything Duke did and I thought he was going to give Roy tongue. It was sickening.

Duvall
02-06-2008, 11:44 PM
You know, I think Duke might be able to win True Road Games after all.

monkey
So are we going to get any first place votes in the next poll? Memphis is a paper tiger ;)

Duvall
I agree on the Packer thing. He was absolutely a complete ^$%^$%^$%. I loved the one time when he said "Smith should get rid of the ball...." as Smith drove to the basket and scored!

That was awesome.

monkey
02-06-2008, 11:46 PM

He found fault with everything Duke did and I thought he was going to give Roy tongue. It was sickening.

Could you guys not watch the Vitale broadcast? Why'd you guys get Packer. He's just always terrible. Actually, though I tend to be a pro-Dickie V guy anyway, it was sort of a nice change of pace with his voice not all the way back - he didn't get into full "over the top" mode ...

ugadevil
02-06-2008, 11:47 PM
I thought Danny Green would be a big factor in this game. Glad I was wrong. The defensive job they did on Ellington and Green was huge! And...way to get Will Graves in foul trouble:D

Last thing...Did Tyler Hansbrough have more flops than missed free throws in this game?

Chicago 1995
02-06-2008, 11:50 PM

Why not? It would have made for an even *better* thread. :D

OldSchool
02-06-2008, 11:51 PM
A huge amount of credit goes to Kyle and Lance for playing smart and not fouling out.

The officials call a foul on anyone near Hansbrough whenever he goes up. I have to confess I am surprised that neither Kyle nor Lance ended up with 5.

gadzooks
02-06-2008, 11:51 PM
In all seriousness, I do respect UNC for playing a clean game. Definitely puts them a notch above several of our other conference foes.I commented on that during the game. For all they're our arch-rivals, there was none of that crap we've been seeing from other ACC teams. Still, GTHC! :D

I LOVE THIS TEAM!!!

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-06-2008, 11:52 PM
Class? Absolutely no question but it was as much a very smart move as it was a classy act. K knows there's a rematch coming and has no interest in providing the holes with additional motivation.
I view Coach K's comment as Duke's SOP, not simply a strategy to prevent trouble. A coach is supposed to guide and mold the behavior of his or her players and Coach K does so quite well.

3rd Dukie
02-06-2008, 11:53 PM
This was the best game of the year. Both teams competed hard without all the physical combat becoming too common today. Both teams conducted themselves with dignity and class. Both coaches worked hard to get the best out of their teams and then after the game greeted each other in a cordial fashion. (I was lip reading and listening to Bob Harris.)

Yes, I'm glad we won and will enjoy it until we host Carolina in Cameron on March 8! But I must also say that Carolina is a great rival. (I'm speaking of the program, not the fans.) These two programs have run along parallel in success from time to time. Other times one is moving up and the other is moving down a bit..... but not for long. Can this great rivalry be matched anywhere else? I don't think so!

DitBD,

I agree completely and would like only to add that I am thrilled for Lance; he has been through a lot and has hung so tough with no excuses. Also, as silly as this may sound, I don't think Coach K and his staff always get enough credit. What an awesome game plan and preparation! This is a truly wonderful group, all around!

77devil
02-06-2008, 11:53 PM
Bilas blamed Ellington's bad night on Lawson's absence

So did Vitale and Patrick. Apparently the Duke defense was not a factor.

tpcello7
02-06-2008, 11:54 PM
Agreed!!

The rebounding was outstanding in the 2nd half. That was the hidden key to the game. That was the best they rebounded all year. What an adjustment by the staff.

Surfsideron
brando was worse...it really is laughable but the hellhole is still on fire

Brando is very pro Duke. No one is as bad a Packer. What a butthead. The game has passed him by!

RelativeWays
UNC sheep can blame the loss on Lawson all they want, but they are still a talented capable team that could have beaten us on their court, so forget that noise. Duke shot pretty well tonight so I'm not sure how much he would have helped. Their offense with him relies a lot on getting rebounds and clearing them out in transition. Thats hard to do when the other team makes their shots.

THis Duke team really has a lot of balance,toughness and heart. We have different guys step up and score and make big plays. They've played well and tough in hostile environments and they adapt. This team could be a big surprise in March.

matrix1686
02-06-2008, 11:56 PM
UNC's starting lineup of Hansbrough, Jamie Luckie, Les Jones, Tony Greene, and Billy Packer was tough but in the end Duke came through. Good thing Lawson wasn't playing though considering he would have beat Duke by himself...well according to Packer at least.

wilson
02-06-2008, 11:57 PM
The only coherent thing I can put together is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MarkD83
The game sounded great with the mute button on. I like everyone else enjoyed the fact that this game had a flow to it because there was no "thug" basketball.

We will still continue to hear that Duke has no frontline and could lose to a team with a big frontline. However, this is the college game and teams win with great guard and perimeter play.

Duvall

Carolina started off with a 13-4 rebounding edge, and ended up only +7 at 44-37. We were even on the boards for the last 30+ minutes.

kydevil
02-06-2008, 11:58 PM
Did anyone else go absolutely nuts when Singler schooled Hansblahblah? Going through the legs then spinning the other way and hitting the layup. The replay showed Hansblahblah trailing Singler looking seriously confused! Absolutely loved it! :D

ghost
Could you guys not watch the Vitale broadcast? Why'd you guys get Packer. He's just always terrible. Actually, though I tend to be a pro-Dickie V guy anyway, it was sort of a nice change of pace with his voice not all the way back - he didn't get into full "over the top" mode ...

ESPN was blacked out in this area, so we had to watch Packer

77devil

I view Coach K's comment as Duke's SOP, not simply a strategy to prevent trouble. A coach is supposed to guide and mold the behavior of his or her players and Coach K does so quite well.

Strategy, tactics, and teaching are not mutually exlusive

hurleyfor3
02-06-2008, 11:59 PM
Can someone give me an IC update? How many posts on the front page are about not having Lawson?

Surfsideron
[QUOTE=monkey;98265]Could you guys not watch the Vitale broadcast? Why'd you guys get Packer. He's just always terrible.

Raycom has precedence over ESPN in ACC country. The cable companies have to black out ESPN. We got Tim Brando and Packer.

Packer's ineptness is beyond description.

captmojo
They can keep their Lawson. Duke might have had a larger winning margin if Zoubek and Pocius could have played.

Devilsfan
02-07-2008, 12:01 AM
With minutes left and Carolina still having a "chance" to win, the stands were half empty.

cape cod
02-07-2008, 12:01 AM
Could you guys not watch the Vitale broadcast? Why'd you guys get Packer. He's just always terrible.

Well, we Comcast subscribers in Massachusetts had to watch the game in SD rather than HD, on some channel other than ESPN. I was so ticked, but I admit that Dickie V's absence was the silver lining, even if it did mean that Packer did the game. BTW, all signs pointed to an ESPN broadcast, and I missed the first minute or two until I called Comcast and their recorded message, almost the first thing that I heard, was that the Duke/UNC game would not be shown on ESPN and not in HDTV. They gave me a clue where I could find the game and that was it. I am so glad that I was here to switch over to watch the game and that I hadn't planned to record it (on ESPN obviously). If that had been the case I would really have been POd.

OldSchool
02-07-2008, 12:03 AM
Good thing Lawson wasn't playing though considering he would have beat Duke by himself...well according to Packer at least.

Lawson's amazing ability to make everyone around him better no doubt extends to the officials as well - they would surely have called a much better game had Lawson been playing.

jipops
02-07-2008, 12:03 AM
Echoes all around. Packer, does that baby blue streak up your back burn?

Somebody explain what happened when DeMarcus was called for the fourth foul.

Well Scheyer was pushed in the back so a phantom 4th foul was called on DeMarcus. Make sense to you too?

Surfsideron
02-07-2008, 12:04 AM
Last thing...Did Tyler Hansbrough have more flops than missed free throws in this game?

On a UNC thread they are claiming that in the NCSU game, a ref pulled Paulus aside and told him to stop flopping.

Has anyone else heard that? It was reported in the News and Observer.

I don't think a ref can tell a player that. Who's he hurting? Now Hans throwing elbows that's another thing.

Where was that ref when Hans went down 4 times in the first half? That one charge is he drew againt markie was bull!

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-07-2008, 12:05 AM
Well Scheyer was pushed in the back so a phantom foul 4th foul was called on DeMarcus. Make sense to you too?
Don't you remember the White Phantoms?

DUAA_shirt
02-07-2008, 12:05 AM
I noticed during the SportsCenter postgame that Vitale "got on the bus" and was replaced by Hubert Davis. Way to keep a straight face in defeat Hubert!

dukeman28428
02-07-2008, 12:06 AM
With minutes left and Carolina still having a "chance" to win, the stands were half empty.

Tells you something about the fair weather tar heel fans.
Duke took it to them and I am vey proud of our team

sandinmyshoes
02-07-2008, 12:07 AM
Can someone give me an IC update? How many posts on the front page are about not having Lawson?

Do you honestly think if we'd played without Greg and Nolan and lost we wouldn't be bemoaning their absence? I hope our guys are happy with the win, but realistic enough to know that it was probably UNC's best emotional shot, but not their best shot talent wise. We've got at least one rematch and maybe two, and if we want to put together six wins in the NCAAs, we still have some improving to do. You can bet that Coach K won't let them get as smug as some of our fans are becoming.

I also have to admit, that three times I saw Thomas drive to the basket for layups and in the back of my mind I was thinking, "Man, I'm glad Lawson isn't playing." Because if freaking skinny Thomas can make those drives I don't even want to think about a speedy but thick Lawson going at it.

The best thing tonight, for me, was the play of Lance. He could be a key for us in the second half of the season, addressing one of our key weaknesses. He was active and focused.

kydevil
02-07-2008, 12:07 AM

Im not sure, however the picture of Hansblahblah on the front page is hysterical IMO

Devilsfan
02-07-2008, 12:08 AM
Somebody needs to put Billy out to paster. Too bad he's not a horse, he'd be ready for the glue factory. Better yet, put him in a room and make him listen to his own broadcasts. It would make waterboarding seem like a day at the beach.

kydevil
Do you honestly think if we'd played without Greg and Nolan and lost we wouldn't be bemoaning their absence? I hope our guys are happy with the win, but realistic enough to know that it was probably UNC's best emotional shot, but not their best shot talent wise. We've got at least one rematch and maybe two, and if we want to put together six wins in the NCAAs, we still have some improving to do. You can bet that Coach K won't let them get as smug as some of our fans are becoming.

Buzzkill :(

captmojo
I thought Nelson was pushed off for the rebound. If he was guilty of a foul and the basket counted, why didn't they shoot a free throw? If it was before the basket, it would have been an in-bounds. They got the basket and the possession? It's too late for me. My brain hurts. :confused: :confused:

hurleyfor3
02-07-2008, 12:10 AM
Im not sure, however the picture of Hansblahblah on the front page is hysterical IMO

He's gonna kill the joker who hid his Ex-Lax.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/51/519147.jpg

sandinmyshoes
02-07-2008, 12:10 AM
Buzzkill :(

It shouldn't be, it should be both a warning that the season is not over, and an appreciation of what we've accomplished to this point. I just hate it when our fans (not that we're alone in this) get over-hyped and start placing unrealistic expectations on the team. Realistic possibilities, are not the same thing as expectations.

watzone
02-07-2008, 12:11 AM
Hubert Davis = Bozo

pamtar
02-07-2008, 12:11 AM
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!

jipops
02-07-2008, 12:12 AM
UNC sheep can blame the loss on Lawson all they want, but they are still a talented capable team that could have beaten us on their court, so forget that noise. Duke shot pretty well tonight so I'm not sure how much he would have helped. Their offense with him relies a lot on getting rebounds and clearing them out in transition. Thats hard to do when the other team makes their shots.

THis Duke team really has a lot of balance,toughness and heart. We have different guys step up and score and make big plays. They've played well and tough in hostile environments and they adapt. This team could be a big surprise in March.

It's only natural for a unc fan to point towards Lawson's absence, we would be doing the same thing if in the same situation. But here's the thing, 6 of our guys scored in double figures including Lance Thomas with 10. Maybe rely a bit on defense to win a big game huh? I mean would Ty Lawson have been matching up with Lance to prevent his double figure output? Is Ty known as a stellar defender in the first place? no

Yes, I will concede that Lawson's absence has an affect on UNC, that is obvious. But in the manner that this game was played and won by Duke, the story was Duke's offense and UNC's lack of D that determined this game.

watzone
02-07-2008, 12:12 AM
It shouldn't be, it should be both a warning that the season is not over, and an appreciation of what we've accomplished to this point. I just hate it when our fans (not that we're alone in this) get over-hyped and start placing unrealistic expectations on the team. Realistic possibilities, are not the same thing as expectations.

I get what you are saying and agree, but for gosh sakes, lighten up and enjoy the win for 24 hours, then talk of reality.

BlueintheFace
02-07-2008, 12:14 AM
The most important things are that...

1) Duke beat the #3 team in the nation
2) Duke beat Carolina
3) Duke has a 3 game lead in the conference (Even if Carolina picked up two games they would be behind on head to head)
4) Duke picked up the inside track on the quest for a #1 seed in the East (Not leaving North Carolina until the Final Four)

ABSOLUTELY HUGE

Also, let us all have a moment of silence to say goodbye forever to the negative threads and conversations about Greg Paulus' ability as Duke's point guard. We hardly knew ye... and most of us are glad for that. Paulus is our man and we are damn lucky.

AtlDuke72
02-07-2008, 12:14 AM

Hansborough is a great player and almost carried the Heels to a win. If he played for the Devils they would not have to hold the tournament this year. Having said that, it was comical the way he fell to the ground everytime anybody brushed him at the defensive end. He has 5 whole blocks for the season. No wonder the pros don't think much of his prospects.

BlueintheFace
02-07-2008, 12:15 AM
wait, reverse #1 and #2... my bad

Pam
02-07-2008, 12:16 AM
My week has been tough - two teenagers being the aliens that teenager tend to be :) among some other things.

The game MADE my week and somehow I had a feeling Duke would pull it off. I agree with the people who have said that UNC made some of our recent rivals look bad - they played a clean game with good sportsmanship. Coach K makes sure our guys always play that way. Sure, tempers flare, but that is to be expected.

I am just so happy with this win and with what we are seeing from the team. We have some truly great players, but the team is a certainly a case of being more than the sum its parts.

This is my favorite Duke team in years. Just can't say enough!

Pam
02-07-2008, 12:18 AM
Beautifully said!

The most important things are that...

1) Duke beat the #3 team in the nation
2) Duke beat Carolina
3) Duke has a 3 game lead in the conference (Even if Carolina picked up two games they would be behind on head to head)
4) Duke picked up the inside track on the quest for a #1 seed in the East (Not leaving North Carolina until the Final Four)

ABSOLUTELY HUGE

Also, let us all have a moment of silence to say goodbye forever to the negative threads and conversations about Greg Paulus' ability as Duke's point guard. We hardly knew ye... and most of us are glad for that. Paulus is our man and we are damn lucky.

77devil
02-07-2008, 12:21 AM

Surprisingly subdued and balanced notwithstanding the typical luantic fringe on any fan board. A number of posts acknowledging that Roy was out coached and the Holes were outplayed. Plenty of references to Lawson but many of them refer to his impact in the rematch

91devil
02-07-2008, 12:23 AM
How many children has Sean May recently consumed?

jacone21
02-07-2008, 12:23 AM

Tonight is for celebration! Tomorrow is for realism. Plus our expectation don't mean a rip to the team. You don't have to enjoy the victory. You don't have to warn us. But thanks anyway! :p

BD80
02-07-2008, 12:24 AM
Which team will improve the most over the next 4 1/2 weeks?

I'm betting the one with Coach K, the one with its lone post player recovering from a broken foot, the one with THREE freshmen getting serious PT.

Bring em into Cameron, I like our chances!

Dbluedevils1530
02-07-2008, 12:24 AM
This was one hell of a game, everybody played solid. Can't wait till we play unc again. Should be a good one like always.

hurleyfor3
02-07-2008, 12:27 AM

Good lord. Now I know why food prices have gone up so much in the past couple years. Sean has cornered the market.

75% of the planet is covered by water... the other 25% is covered by Sean's shadow.

bhop22
02-07-2008, 12:28 AM
Fantastic win!!! Played together with great heart. To make it even better, my 6 year old son refused to wear a shirt with a touch of " the wrong blue" to school, and wanted to wear his #4 JJ jersey. Aren't kids great!!!!

alteran
02-07-2008, 12:29 AM
This was one hell of a game, everybody played solid. Can't wait till we play unc again. Should be a good one like always.

Absolutely awesome game by our guys. Loved the recovery from that shaky stretch with about a minute to go.

Always a joy to take one from the heels in their place.

weezie
02-07-2008, 12:31 AM
Good lord. Now I know why food prices have gone up so much in the past couple years. Sean has cornered the market.

75% of the planet is covered by water... the other 25% is covered by Sean's shadow.

Snap. Felton looked a bit chunky, too.

77devil
02-07-2008, 12:32 AM
Hubert Davis = Bozo

Literally, figuratively, or both.

Maybe he'll move us up a few notches in the power 16 tomorrow.

BlueintheFace
02-07-2008, 12:32 AM
Wait, does anybody know if Ty Lawson played?... the announcers were kind of ambiguous about it tonight. I wish they had been a little more clear... maybe discussed it a bit more... oh well

hurleyfor3
02-07-2008, 12:33 AM
Wait, does anybody know if Ty Lawson played?... the announcers were kind of ambiguous about it tonight. I wish they had been a little more clear... maybe discussed it a bit more... oh well

I think Sean May ate him.

yum dukie
02-07-2008, 12:34 AM
just reply with Boozer, 2001. oh, except the difference is we sucked it up and won that game. in the Dean Dome.

Taco
02-07-2008, 12:34 AM
I love that at least 4 different guys have been suggested for MOTM in this thread. Personally I'll be voting for Lance. What a shooting performance from Paulus though, lights out. And Singler, my goodness. Still, Lance was huge. He played respectable D given the makeup of our team stayed out of foul trouble and even put up double digits on the other end.
A true team effort to be sure, but Lance is too often unsung & underestimated, give him his chops!

Edit: also, sheesh Billy Packer is such a sad sack. Does he even LIKE basketball? I'd listen to 10 Vitales with megaphones before another Packer game, given the choice.

dukepsy1963
02-07-2008, 12:35 AM
the absolute sweetest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The best!!!!!!!!!!! Fantastic!!!!!

Everyone was a MOTM really!!! Businesslike, confident, poised, well-coached, and so on and so on and so on and so....................

Yippeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Duke's "Heart" is HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Section 8
02-07-2008, 12:39 AM

Beautiful game. Duke by 20 in Cameron w/ or w/out Lawson.

WRT the children, my sources say the number is in the dozens.

jipops
02-07-2008, 12:39 AM
just reply with Boozer, 2001. oh, except the difference is we sucked it up and won that game. in the Dean Dome.

Or reply that we still won without Patrick Patterson. I mean that's just apples and apples.

Son of Jarhead
02-07-2008, 12:41 AM
Great, great team win. 6 in double figures & solid D. I will now go to sleep with a smile on my face thinking about the silence at the office in the morning. GTHC! Go Duke!

NashvilleDevil
02-07-2008, 12:41 AM
I had the volume turned down the entire game so I missed what happened with the announcers toward the end of the game. I get tired of ESPN saying what a big rivalry this is, after hyping 2 Duke/UNC matchups every year you would think that most of the TV watching world would know how big a rivalry this is.

I agree with everyone else that mentioned the flow of the game. It was fun to watch a basketball game between two top flight teams without all of the extracurriculars.

Was very impressed with Lance tonight and have been since the FSU game. He is being more assertive of offense and taking the ball straight to the goal instead of pump faking 15 times and then getting the ball stolen. This team is so fun to watch and may be one of the toughest Duke teams in a long time.

Heelkiller1
02-07-2008, 12:45 AM
awsome game ,great team effort .maybe espn's website will finally put DUKE in the number one spot in the ACC(where they should have been) and not number two behind the tarholes ,i tell you those guys over at espn don't even try to hide the fact they hate the Blue Devils ,and to hubert davis ,who said carolina had the better team ,get another job,because he really doesn't know what he is talking about.GO DUKE MOTM=TEAM 9F 9F 9F

IT'S A GREAT DAY TO BE A DEVIL:D

kinghoops
02-07-2008, 12:50 AM
if i hear one more time "if lawson would have played"" my god, if my aunt had balls she would be my uncle, SCOREBOARD!!! HOLES!! SCOREBOARD!!!

Heelkiller1
02-07-2008, 12:53 AM
if i hear one more time "if lawson would have played"" my god, if my aunt had balls she would be my uncle, SCOREBOARD!!! HOLES!! SCOREBOARD!!!

PREACH ON BROTHER , PREACH ON

IUGrad03
02-07-2008, 12:56 AM
I really, really, love this team.

That's all I've got. Good night all!

kinghoops
02-07-2008, 12:58 AM
now that i got my ty off my chest, great team effort tonite, i think lance is really coming of age, not terrible defense against a much stronger player, great pick and roll moves to the hoop and a great block of ginyard? , anyway, i feel very good about these guys and although my brother gives me lots of grief over this, taylor king, will make a difference down the road

3rd Dukie
02-07-2008, 12:59 AM

Holy cow! I think he just became the Krispy Kreme spokesman/taste tester. He has exploded into a Macy's Parade blimp!

What a dough boy. I wonder how long since he's seen his toes?

Sandman
02-07-2008, 01:01 AM
For a Duke Dink from the days of Clay Buckley, Howie Hurt, and all who have come before and will come after ---------------

HOW SWEET IS IS!!!! :) :) :)

3rd Dukie
02-07-2008, 01:03 AM
I love that at least 4 different guys have been suggested for MOTM in this thread. Personally I'll be voting for Lance. What a shooting performance from Paulus though, lights out. And Singler, my goodness. Still, Lance was huge. He played respectable D given the makeup of our team stayed out of foul trouble and even put up double digits on the other end.
A true team effort to be sure, but Lance is too often unsung & underestimated, give him his chops!

Edit: also, sheesh Billy Packer is such a sad sack. Does he even LIKE basketball? I'd listen to 10 Vitales with megaphones before another Packer game, given the choice.

Taco, if I were you, I'd change my name before Sean May hits town!!

Taco
02-07-2008, 01:06 AM
If Sean May was going to hit town I'm sure I'd have plenty of warning.

(the earthquakes as he approaches, you see)

feldspar
02-07-2008, 01:08 AM
I haven't felt this good about Duke basketball since the 2006 ACC Championship. That was two years ago.

This feels great. As was pointed out before, this game was so uplifting on several levels. We beat Carolina at Carolina. We beat another top 5 team. We stayed unbeaten in conference play and extended our lead in the conference. Paulus had an unbelievable night of shooting. Singler was solid. Scheyer was clutch when we needed him to be. Our D was solid when it needed to be. We rebounded when it counted. We managed our foul trouble well.

All in all, I couldn't be happier with this team. They are gutty, they have heart, they have intensity and they give it their all night in and night out.

MOTM goes to Duke Basketball tonight. It's a good night to be bleeding Duke blue.

Go Duke and GO TO HELL CAROLINA! WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3rd Dukie
02-07-2008, 01:09 AM
If Sean May was going to hit town I'm sure I'd have plenty of warning.

(the earthquakes as he approaches, you see)

Praise the Lord for Mr. Richter! Still, I'd hide the sauce.

Somebody ought to get the guy a salad.

Lulu
02-07-2008, 01:17 AM
It's probably been written, but just wanted to comment what an awesome coaching job by the staff getting lance and singler to keep their feet on the floor and arms up defending hansblah. That was probably the most striking thing to my eyes regarding the way we played tonight, just glaringly intentional, and it worked (well, he got his 28, but probably could have been worse and lance and kyle didn't foul out)

Sandman
02-07-2008, 01:23 AM
I think Sean May ate him.

This is the most humorous post I have ever seen! You da MAN!! :)

FishStick
02-07-2008, 01:25 AM

The students started a "game's not over chant" at the Dean dome and were booing also. I joined in and got lotsa bad looks.

Classof06
02-07-2008, 01:26 AM
The game ball(s) go to Lance and Kyle. Like Lulu said, these two guys had arguably their most impressive performances of the year in a game where Duke needed some type of presence around the rim. UNC definitely controlled the painted area but Lance and Kyle did enough to keep us in the game and did as well as this team will ever be able to do against Tyler Hansbrough. Kyle hit big shot after big shot while grabbing crucial rebounds and Lance was brilliant with his back to the basket and his defense. I was 110% confident Hansbrough would hit for 30 tonight and I was expecting around 20 rebounds. He came close to both respective numbers but ultimately fell short of them.

Obviously Paulus played wonderfully as well. I thought NC State last week was the best Duke game of his career and he bested that again tonight, IMO. Gerald didn't look like he had the best game but when you look at the box score, he ended up with 12 and 8 on 5-10 from the field; solid across the board. And you have to commend Scheyer. He's struggled slightly the past few games but he came out tonight and did what he always does: provide an instant spark. He has a legitimate argument for MOTM as well.

Again, even in the Pitt loss, I can never say I wasn't happy with the effort this team has put forth. I am so proud of this team.

Heelkiller1
02-07-2008, 01:29 AM
This Was A Great Game ,but If You Sit Back And Think Of All The Faces Of The Game You Might Get A Laugh.froms Hansblah Trying To Billy Bad Butt With His Great Faces He Makes,i Don't Think He Could Scare A Kid In The Dark.then We Got All Those Nba Guys That Played For The Tarholes With There Heads Down Looking Almost Embaresed To Be There,and Lets Not Forget O Roy Trying To Fall Out On The Court .wow What A Game ,we Got Great Basketball And Some Improv Comedy .go Duke 9f 9f 9f

wisteria
02-07-2008, 01:29 AM
I LOVE this team. really, what else can I say?

Now let's just control our emotions and take care of our business this coming weekend!

wisteria
02-07-2008, 01:33 AM
Tonight, THE shining moment for me was when Gerald cleanly blocked Tyler Hansbrough with absolute authority. Look at his face at that moment! Look at the crowd! Gerald made a statement tonight. At that moment, I think G just put the past behind him.

It was a golden moment.

Heelkiller1
02-07-2008, 01:36 AM
I Totally Agree ,g Put That Ess Back And You Could Almost See The Weight Lift Off His Back.then That Dunk Set It Off For Good .

Heelkiller1
02-07-2008, 01:45 AM
Now let's just control our emotions and take care of our business this coming weekend!

I COULDN'T AGREE MORE DON'T LET THIS GET TO OUR HEADS,LAST THING WE NEED IS TO GET BEAT BY CLEMSON OR SOME SCRUB TEAM LIKE THAT.LETS KEEP THIS GOING ALL THE WAY TO APRIL.

snowdenscold
02-07-2008, 02:59 AM
This Was A Great Game ,but If You Sit Back And Think Of All The Faces Of The Game You Might Get A Laugh.froms Hansblah Trying To Billy Bad Butt With His Great Faces He Makes,i Don't Think He Could Scare A Kid In The Dark.then We Got All Those Nba Guys That Played For The Tarholes With There Heads Down Looking Almost Embaresed To Be There,and Lets Not Forget O Roy Trying To Fall Out On The Court .wow What A Game ,we Got Great Basketball And Some Improv Comedy .go Duke 9f 9f 9f

I don't really know what you're saying cause there are way too many capital letters, but here's a picture I just keep getting a laugh out of:

BOO!

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/51/519239.jpg

Heelkiller1
02-07-2008, 04:17 AM
now that is a funny pic.that is going to make me laugh for some time .

hc5duke
02-07-2008, 04:17 AM

Ok, I gotta ask - is there a reason every word is capitalized? It's really hard to read posts like that... unless you're German or something:cool:

Heelkiller1
02-07-2008, 04:20 AM
Please excuse the caps.Between my great joy for the win and my boss stomping around .I was a bit confused,i thought it was all in caps ,but i guess not .any way GO DUKE

BlueDevilJay
02-07-2008, 07:35 AM
Amazing game for our Devils. Work is going to be sweet today with so many UNC homers around. Im going with the "silent mode" today. It drives them NUTS if I don't go around gloating about the W. My favorite form of UNC mockery. Go Duke!!!!

wilson
02-07-2008, 08:17 AM
Last night was the fourth time we've gone to chapel hill to defeat a top-five holes team. The previous three:

1988-Final Four
1991-National Champs
2001-National Champs

Guess we'd better book tickets to San Antonio.;)

gw67
02-07-2008, 08:19 AM
The following are some of my thoughts on last night’s game:

• Rarely does a team have six players bring their “A” game to a contest against a quality opponent. Last night was one of those times. The Devils outplayed the Heels in nearly every aspect of the game and a good case could be made for four of their players as the man of the match.
• To me, the three-point spread and the defense on Ellington and Green were the keys to the game.
• The best player on the floor, IMO, was Hansbrough. If he isn’t ACC POY, they should call for a recount. The Devils defense against him was as good as they could provide.
• One play caught my eye. On a long rebound to the corner, Stepheson had the clear advantage to get the ball but he, literally, jogged over to the ball and a Duke player ran around him and got the ball before it went out of bounds. I can’t imagine Coach K or Gary Williams putting up with that lack of effort.
• What is it with the “chicken wings”? Most players use the off arm to shield themselves when they have the ball. Some, particularly guards, get called for offensive fouls if it is too obvious. This has happened with Paulus in the past. Last night, both Singler and Smith made extensive use of their off arm to push away the defender. I don’t believe that any fouls were called but I could see fouls being called when tough defensive teams like Kansas or UCLA force the action and their coaches get on the refs.
• Lastly, I really enjoyed the commentary by Packer and Brando. They were generally on the mark with their game comments and analysis and Packer brings a historical perspective of the ACC that no one else in that business can bring.

gw67

twisterduke81
02-07-2008, 08:25 AM
Packer needs to be medicated. When he said ol' Roy hasn't established any confidence in the team that had previously been ranked #1 we just started laughing.
I loved it when Hansbrough had to defend us twenty feet from the basket. Sweet.

dukegirlinsc
02-07-2008, 08:27 AM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i'm still so pumped.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dukegirlinsc
02-07-2008, 08:32 AM
Last night was the fourth time we've gone to chapel hill to defeat a top-five holes team. The previous three:

1988-Final Four
1991-National Champs
2001-National Champs

well, that just gave me chills.

Heelkiller1
02-07-2008, 08:46 AM

This one really needs a caption ."not the nose not the nose not the nose not the nose"

OZZIE4DUKE
02-07-2008, 08:49 AM
wait, reverse #1 and #2... my bad

Ever notice that little "Edit" button at the bottom of your posts near the Quote button? It is there for about 15 minutes when you post but then disappears. You could have corrected this major error before the vast majority of readers knew of your, um, typo. The edit comes in real handy when you do something like that - I know, I use it all the time :)

Duvall
02-07-2008, 08:49 AM

Wow, they really *don't* like playing defense, do they?

bluepenguin
02-07-2008, 08:51 AM
The press was all over the fact that unc was playing short handed without Lawson, and woe is unc. Hellooo, can you say Zoubek or Pocius? How about a little woe is Duke, they don't have a true inside post presence, and it is even worse without Zoubek?
Oh wait, Duke doesn't need to come up with excuses - they work even harder when adversity sets in (i.e. Boozer broken foot). IMO, this is one of Coach K's best coaching jobs.
Prior to the start of this season, I had gotten tired of what college BB had become, and had lost a lot of interest (i.e. my lack of postings this year). This team has re-energized me. Win or lose, this is a really fun team to watch play.

dukegirlinsc
02-07-2008, 08:56 AM
The press was all over the fact that unc was playing short handed without Lawson, and woe is unc. Hellooo, can you say Zoubek or Pocius? How about a little woe is Duke, they don't have a true inside post presence, and it is even worse without Zoubek?
Oh wait, Duke doesn't need to come up with excuses - they work even harder when adversity sets in (i.e. Boozer broken foot). IMO, this is one of Coach K's best coaching jobs.
Prior to the start of this season, I had gotten tired of what college BB had become, and had lost a lot of interest (i.e. my lack of postings this year). This team has re-energized me. Win or lose, this is a really fun team to watch play.

that's what i've been screaming. ty lawson, wahh wahh wahh. what happened against maryland???? pretty sure he played that game. and would ty lawson have made some of psycho tampons free throws for him? or made duke miss some of theirs?

that is THE ONLY reason i wanted ty lawson to play, so there would be no excuses. kiss my ^$%^$%^$% tarholes.

HaveFunExpectToWin
02-07-2008, 09:09 AM
Packer needs to be medicated. When he said ol' Roy hasn't established any confidence in the team that had previously been ranked #1 we just started laughing.
I loved it when Hansbrough had to defend us twenty feet from the basket. Sweet.

The first ten minutes of the game Raycom had problems with their sound and I didn't hear any announcers, just the sound from the floor. It was a nice change of pace, although I had no idea how many fouls anyone had.

Karl Beem
02-07-2008, 09:14 AM
The first ten minutes of the game Raycom had problems with their sound and I didn't hear any announcers, just the sound from the floor. It was a nice change of pace, although I had no idea how many fouls anyone had.

I loved it. In '80 or '81, they did an NFL game without announcers. It was great, like actually being at the game. Naturally the mediots hate it.

weezie
02-07-2008, 09:22 AM

It was delightful! We were so hoping the announcers feed NEVER came back. I would very much like to hit Billy"The Packer" Packer in the head with a frying pan. He's a loathsome little creep.

weezie
02-07-2008, 09:24 AM

Talk about your odd facial expressions......

dyedwab
02-07-2008, 09:24 AM
It was a nice change of pace, although I had no idea how many fouls anyone had.

It didn't actually matter whether or not you had the announcers - they were very bad at keeping us updated on the foul situation...

But on that note, to reiterate what has been said before, Kyle and LT staying in the game was critical to our win. Kudos to them to playing aggressively without fouling out.

91devil
02-07-2008, 09:25 AM
Did anyone else have some deja-vu on Ellington's late missed three-point shot was in, in, in, in, out......sort of reminded me of Greg Koubek's 'missed' three (that was also 98.85% of the way in the basket) in the 1988 National Semi-Final against Kansas.

This time, it worked for us.

weezie
02-07-2008, 09:28 AM
Did anyone else have some deja-vu on Ellington's late missed three-point shot was in, in, in, in, out......sort of reminded me of Greg Koubek's 'missed' three (that was also 98.85% of the way in the basket) in the 1988 National Semi-Final against Kansas.

It sure seemed like God was a Blue Devil on that shot. Or a Giants fan.

BD80
02-07-2008, 09:29 AM
The 12 or so "big" guys that have recently committed to Carowhina should take note:

Look what happens to the "good soldiers" at Chapel Hell

QT watched as Ol' Roy recruited over him TWICE, but still worked through his 4 seasons. He gets his chance only because of serious injuries to the 2 PGs Roy recruited after QT. He performs better than 5 of the other 7 tar holes, scores 10 with 7 assists and 3 rebounds in 35 minutes.

His reward? To be thrown under the bus. To be dragged out, and thrown back under again.

THIRD STRING POINT GUARD.

Bet QT isn't having the best of times right now.

Our guys are.

9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F9F 9F9F9F!!!!!!!!!!!

Faustus
02-07-2008, 09:34 AM
I remember that game well, Miami and somebody in the Orange Bowl. They put the down and yards to go on the bottom of the screen and must have had the clock as well. Then just the sights and sounds of the game. I thought it was a terrific idea. You heard the crowd so much more pervasively and really did get the feel you were there far more than filtered through the constant blather of noise by talking heads. I found, not surprisingly, that *I* was the one guessing what play would be run next, what both teams needed to do, etc. and became far more involved than I otherwise would have been. But yeah, so many Americans are now told what to think and do through TV and sit passively like vegetables accepting it, that they (I think it was NBC) never tried that idea again. Too bad.

Oh, TREMENDOUS performance by the Devils last night. Let's not stray further from that.

Bluedawg
02-07-2008, 09:36 AM
Rebounds: Duke 40, UNC 41.

Listening to RayCom you would never know they were so close. All they talked about was how UNC owned the boards.

DevilBen02
02-07-2008, 09:39 AM
Which team will improve the most over the next 4 1/2 weeks?

I'm betting the one with Coach K, the one with its lone post player recovering from a broken foot, the one with THREE freshmen getting serious PT.

Bring em into Cameron, I like our chances!

This brings up another blatantly biased Packer comment. At one point, he mentioned that Duke couldn't do much more with what we had, but Carolina had a lot to improve on.

Bluedawg
02-07-2008, 09:39 AM
Everyone (except TK) played very well tonight. GReat effort. Mostly smart play. Clutch shooting. I am very happy tonight!

I loved almost every aspect of this game (except, as noted, TK).

TK played 2 minutes. He didn't have time to get into the flow of the game.

hurleyfor3
02-07-2008, 09:41 AM
I remember that game well, Miami and somebody in the Orange Bowl. They put the down and yards to go on the bottom of the screen and must have had the clock as well. Then just the sights and sounds of the game. I thought it was a terrific idea. You heard the crowd so much more pervasively and really did get the feel you were there far more than filtered through the constant blather of noise by talking heads. I found, not surprisingly, that *I* was the one guessing what play would be run next, what both teams needed to do, etc. and became far more involved than I otherwise would have been. But yeah, so many Americans are now told what to think and do through TV and sit passively like vegetables accepting it, that they (I think it was NBC) never tried that idea again. Too bad.

Oh, TREMENDOUS performance by the Devils last night. Let's not stray further from that.

I remember it too. They played the Jets in Miami, and the Jets won. The Jets sucked that year (and living in the NYC media market we were stuck with their games) so NBC must have figured it wouldn't have mettered who was announcing anyway. What would be the harm in one nfl game a year without announcers?

But this *IS* the diametric opposite of the topic. If the opposite of "basketball" is "football", and the opposite of "Dick Vitale" is "complete silence", then the opposite of "basketball game announced by Dick Vitale" would be...?

Bluedawg
02-07-2008, 09:44 AM
Packer's commentary was straight up laughable, some of my favorite moments were when he heaped glowing praise on UNC for plays that they almost were able to pull off.

He said something at one point that Hans had 'great timing' getting to a rebound, but Duke ended up getting the rebound on that play.

Another time he praised some other Carolina player for his quickness getting up and grabbing a rebound even though he was called for a foul on the floor before the rebound could take place.

Such a joke.

Or when he praised a Carolina player for a great rebound, but he dropped the ball. Don't you have to hand on the ball to get credited for a rebound? i think Duke came away with that one.

77devil
02-07-2008, 09:48 AM

1988-Final Four
1991-National Champs
2001-National Champs

UNC has four national championships. I thought the mainsteam media generally ignore the Helms championship but not ESPN. What a joke.

snowdenscold
02-07-2008, 09:53 AM
UNC has four national championships. I thought the mainsteam media generally ignore the Helms championship but not ESPN. What a joke.

They put up a stat saying UNC had 4 titles. What's the issue?

gofurman
02-07-2008, 09:54 AM
One thing of interest to me was that I expected for Duke to win they would have to cause TOs thatlead to easy layups (IE how we beat Clemson). I only recall one - Scheyer with a steal and nice layup. Were there several others I am just not remembering?

*I know there were several TOs caused, but can't really place a single other one that led to transition points - help here?

Bluedawg
02-07-2008, 09:55 AM

this is how he doesn't get many fouls. he doesn't block shots, he doesn't challenge in the lane. All he does is position himself for rebounds and shoots. he is far from an all around player or from being the NPOY as Raycom is promoting him for. He wants offensive states and he plays for them.

CDu

Did ESPN say they have five? They have won four NCAA tournaments: 1957, 1982, 1993, and 2005. If they said four, they're right.

pamtar
QT finished with 10 pts, 7 asst, 6 TOs.
Thats three points less than Lawson's average, two assist more, and 3 TO's more. However, you have to think that Lawson's TOs would have been high against us.

That is not excuse worthy, IMO.

Lawson/QT: If you compare stats and give them points based on productivity we STILL end up winning by 1.4 points.
To be fair Zoubek would have taken away points from blahblah. Pocius and Frasor would probably cancel each other out. (Pocius @ 4ppg, Frasor @ 3.4ppg).

Either way, WE WIN!!!

mr. synellinden
02-07-2008, 09:57 AM

I know the shot your are referring to because I was there and it was even more "down" than Ellington's. However, it was Kevin Strickland who shot it, not Koubek. Either way, it was one of the most deflating misses I can remember.

CDu
02-07-2008, 09:58 AM
One thing of interest to me was that I expected for Duke to win they would have to cause TOs thatlead to easy layups (IE how we beat Clemson). I only recall one - Scheyer with a steal and nice layup. Were there several others I am just not remembering?

*I know there were several TOs caused, but can't really place a single other one that led to transition points - help here?

That's the only one I remember as well. I'm sure we had other points off turnovers, but I don't know about transition points off turnovers.

77devil
02-07-2008, 10:01 AM
Did ESPN say they have five? They have won four NCAA tournaments: 1957, 1982, 1993, and 2005. If they said four, they're right.

Woops. My bad. I knew that but I can't bring myself to accept 2005.

Methodistman
02-07-2008, 10:03 AM
My wife called me this morning saying that she had heard on the radio unc fans totally hating on Billy Packer because he is "so pro-Duke." I just think his negativity comes out and everyone thinks he is against their team.

So proud of the way G handled himself tonight - calm, cool, composed. I'm sure there was some pretty rough stuff yelled at him.

But speaking of the crowd, I personally thought they were no where near as loud or into it as I expected. I expected to hear everything go "boooo" when G touched it, and you could barely hear it.

jjasper0729
02-07-2008, 10:04 AM
actually, the official rebound stats were unc: 49 duke: 38. however, they have 20 turnovers to our 15 and we had 11 steals to their 3.

i'm not sure where the 40/41 rebound numbers came from unless the networks were just flat out wrong (knowing the stats guy for the networks, i find that hard to believe).

alteran
02-07-2008, 10:06 AM

I thought I was in heaven. I kept checking my pulse to make sure I was alive and not having some sort of out-of-body experience.

Having Raycom then drop out of HD to bring us the Voice of Packer was like being punished for the same thing twice.

Eventually they managed to bring back HD with the commentary.

One thing that was interesting is that during the commentator drop-out, you could hear (barely) what Coach K was saying when they panned to him.

77devil
02-07-2008, 10:07 AM
this is how he doesn't get many fouls. he doesn't block shots, he doesn't challenge in the lane. All he does is position himself for rebounds and shoots. he is far from an all around player or from being the NPOY as Raycom is promoting him for. He wants offensive states and he plays for them.

He does flop a lot though. I like the one where he tripped over his own team mates leg, fell backwards and drew a charge on Demarcus.

jjasper0729
02-07-2008, 10:09 AM
points off turnovers: duke 14 unc 13
fast break points: duke 0 unc 0

now. i know that we had at least one fast break basket and i know they had at least one fast break basket. the official box score also lists points in the paint at 0 each (how wrong), but these are technically official.

DukeDevil
02-07-2008, 10:10 AM

Such a joke.

I know exactly what you're talking about. UNC would mess up a play and packer would say "you know, that was a great move there, good decision." As well as many comments along the lines of UNC beating themselves and not Duke playing well and keeping them from converting. There was also one charge called where Hansblahblah's feet were in the air at the time, and Packer still said it was a great call by the officials.

YEESH.

I'm not even complaining about the officiating. I felt like some calls went carowhinas way early but I felt that it balanced out later on. There were a few odd calls but nothing massive, barring the 4th on Nelson perhaps.

Speaking of Nelson, how smart did he play with 4? I was watching how he changed up his game and he just controlled himself so well, knowing exactly when to pull back to keep from getting a call. Talk about senior experience.

What a GREAT feeling today!!!!

SMO
02-07-2008, 10:14 AM
points off turnovers: duke 14 unc 13
fast break points: duke 0 unc 0

now. i know that we had at least one fast break basket and i know they had at least one fast break basket. the official box score also lists points in the paint at 0 each (how wrong), but these are technically official.

We generated some fouls off turnovers, which also had an impact. There were a few breaks that were stopped by UNC fouls immediately after a turnover. Overall I think the guys did a nice job of knowing when to push it after a turnover and when to get set up and run the offense. The way UNC plays D, simply running the "O" was as effective as running the break.

tbyers11
02-07-2008, 10:27 AM
I remember a Scheyer layup for us and a Ginyard layup (off a Nolan Smith missed 3 in the corner/bad defensive balance) for each team but overall there were not many fast break points for either team. I agree with SMO that recognizing a good opportunity of when to push it and when to "slow" it down was important last night.

I think this style of play favors Duke over UNC. Keeping UNC from getting easy points off of fast break and, especially, secondary break baskets was a big key in the Devils victory last night. UNC's only effective halfcourt offense is pretty much force the ball into Hansborough and this leads to standing around and a lack of aggression from the other players.

Assuming Lawson is healthy, forcing UNC into a halfcourt game likely be more difficult during the rematch at Cameron but will still be crucial to victory.

ugadevil
02-07-2008, 10:40 AM
Packer kept saying that when Carolina would give Hansbrough the ball, UNC would cut the lead down and make it close. My favorite thing was that any time we gave Lance the ball in the post, we could gain the lead back. It was like a drop-step drill for him on the low block.

bass-piscator
02-07-2008, 10:59 AM
What a team! Popping threes like beer cans at a Polish picnic.

pfrduke
02-07-2008, 11:09 AM
I thought Nelson was pushed off for the rebound. If he was guilty of a foul and the basket counted, why didn't they shoot a free throw? If it was before the basket, it would have been an in-bounds. They got the basket and the possession? It's too late for me. My brain hurts. :confused: :confused:

Apologies if this has been covered already - he did get called for a push-off, but it was against a different Tar Heel (Green?) than made the tip-in (Ellington). From the replay, it looked like it should have been no basket - the push came before Ellington even touched the ball. But the refs decided it happened simultaneously, I guess, or even a touch after Ellington made the tip, so it was count the basket and ball to the Holes.

pfrduke
02-07-2008, 11:14 AM

I watched the game on ESPN with the broadcasters talking the whole time, and I had no idea how many fouls anyone had either. :D

killerleft
02-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Don't have time to read all the posts because of work today, so my apologies if someone else has posted something similar, but

It was sure nice of the heel fans to show Gerald how much they wanted him, but I think he's already taken by us.

And, more important, it is so quiet at work today I swear you could hear a nose break!

pfrduke
02-07-2008, 11:25 AM
My $.02 on the game last night. The one thing that stood out to me was that the team withstood foul trouble to its leader - Nelson played just 23 minutes last night, but the team still won. If you had told me before the game that Nelson would play barely more than half the time, I would have been very concerned, but the rest of the team really stepped up when he was sitting on the sidelines.

I also thought that this game was a great example of very good players executing a very good gameplan to perfection. K had the perfect strategy on offense and defense. On offense, we used lots of high ball screens and pick-and-pops to get open shooters. In addition, he had 6 different players who he was comfortable having drive the ball at the hoop. That enabled Duke to constantly switch up who would be controlling the ball - Carolina couldn't focus on stopping just one guy. On defense, Duke did a lot of "pre-double teaming" to deny the entry passes. The defender guarding Hansbrough played behind him all night, the defender guarding the ball was up in the face of the passer, and a weakside defender was usually playing off his man at the three point line to shadow the passing lane into the post and make it extremely difficult to enter the ball. Duke also did an admirable job (for the most part) of playing position defense and hands-up defense in the post - not a ton of reaching, and although we still got called for a bunch of fouls, no one fouled out.

Last night's game was an excellent display of basketball between two very good teams. It was a joy to watch (particularly since Duke won!) and the rematch will be something special as well.

NYD33
02-07-2008, 11:29 AM
All around great performance. It's a great feeling stickin it to them on their home court. Singler is the real deal.

Methodistman
02-07-2008, 12:17 PM
I thought I was in heaven. I kept checking my pulse to make sure I was alive and not having some sort of out-of-body experience.

Having Raycom then drop out of HD to bring us the Voice of Packer was like being punished for the same thing twice.

Eventually they managed to bring back HD with the commentary.

One thing that was interesting is that during the commentator drop-out, you could hear (barely) what Coach K was saying when they panned to him.

That was pretty cool - I wish there was some way to turn the commentary off and on, because at times it is helpful (for example, foul calls). It really was cool because you could hear more of the communication on the floor than what you do with the announcers.

natedog4ever
02-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Question about packer - I was at a game at Cameron circa 2000. He was trying to get into a side door where two female students were checking tickets. When they asked him for tickets or credentials, he went off on them and said "this is why women shouldn't be allowed in sports." Do you think this would have impacted his career if it had been reported to his employers at the time, or do you think things like that only count when said on-air?

DukeUsul
02-07-2008, 12:35 PM
Question about packer - I was at a game at Cameron circa 2000. He was trying to get into a side door where two female students were checking tickets. When they asked him for tickets or credentials, he went off on them and said "this is why women shouldn't be allowed in sports." Do you think this would have impacted his career if it had been reported to his employers at the time, or do you think things like that only count when said on-air?

People like him are allowed to be a**es like that. That comment even made the front page (the left hand sidebar) of the USA Today and apparently no one else but us Duke fans cared.

gadzooks
02-07-2008, 12:39 PM
The one thing that stood out to me was that the team withstood foul trouble to its leader - Nelson played just 23 minutes last night, but the team still won. If you had told me before the game that Nelson would play barely more than half the time, I would have been very concerned, but the rest of the team really stepped up when he was sitting on the sidelines.It's a great counterpoint to the whining that UNC didn't play well because Lawson was out; the reason that this Duke team is so good is that there isn't just one guy who makes things happen, multiple players can step up and help out. We're a team rather than just a bunch of guys playing basketball on the same court at the same time.

Not even Billy F***ing Packer can kill my buzz. :D

kexman
02-07-2008, 12:41 PM
1) reminded me of the game after boozer was hurt. Our quickness beat their bigs.

2) Interesting game to watch since the mismatches were so huge...hansborough for them...versus our perimeter...

I would love to see an NBA 7 game series between Duke/UNC to see the adjustments each night.

3) our DEFENSE won the game...our offense played well, but where we are significantly better is on the defensive end. They gave us a lot of open shots from the perimeter where most of theirs were contested

4) Lawson hurt them...he gets the other players some easy hoops. Without him creating they were a little lost. UNC should plan to get Hansborough 40 points next game. No shot until he touches the ball in the paint!

5) Has there been a more SKILLED set of 5 to play for Duke in the Singlar, Demarcus, Henderson, Scheyer, and Paulus line-up. Not saying there the best 5 (even this year), but all 5 of them can dribble, drive, and shoot the 3 very well. Who does the center guard against this lineup? We get beat up inside, but on the offensive end it is very pure!

pfrduke
02-07-2008, 12:46 PM
5) Has there been a more SKILLED set of 5 to play for Duke in the Singlar, Demarcus, Henderson, Scheyer, and Paulus line-up. Not saying there the best 5 (even this year), but all 5 of them can dribble, drive, and shoot the 3 very well. Who does the center guard against this lineup? We get beat up inside, but on the offensive end it is very pure!

It was really fun to watch these 5 guys all run the spread offense at various points last night. You can tell Coach K has confidence in any of the five with the ball when the shot clock is running down, and each one of them had several opportunities last night to play the drive-draw-dish game, or the drive-and-score game when the help defense overplayed the pass. The ball-handling abilities of our players in the half court makes this team extremely tough to defend. If Lance continues to improve his post offense, there will be 5 legit offensive threats on court almost at all times - that's more than 99% of college defenses can handle.

rsvman
02-07-2008, 12:48 PM
Sung to the tune of "Carolina in the Mornin'":

Nothin' could be finer than to beat up Caroliner in the...
Deeeeeean Dome!
Nothin' could be sweeter than to kick 'em in the kiester in the.....
Deeeeean Dome! etc., etc.....

I loved it. What a great, entertaining game.

(As for Packer, I thought the funniest thing was how he tried to turn even a clear negative into a positive. He was talking about how few blocked shots Frogface has on the season. Then he said something like: Now you might look at that and say to yourself, 'this guy doesn't block many shots.' But the reason is that he's playing great position defense and setting himself up for strong rebounding. What?!? I have another hypothesis. Many he's just not a very good shotblocker.);)

DukeDevilDeb
02-07-2008, 12:50 PM
Great game as everyone has said... the way all the guys stepped up was magnificent. Scheyer was huge, as was Lance, as was Greg, as was Singer... you get the idea! This is a personification of the word TEAM!

But I have to say that Coach K's game plan was absolutely, positively brilliant last night. Williams was so outcouched! After the Heels brought our lead down to three at the end of the half, Coach K made some important changes and also make some strong points about continuing to do what they were doing best. Didn't seem to me that there was much of a change in UNC's play.

And yes, this is like the game when Boozer went down in 2001, but it also reminds me of CDu's last game at the Smith Center... I love to win, but I love to win even more when we beat Carolina!

Go DEVILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

DukeDude
02-07-2008, 12:51 PM
i'm not sure where the 40/41 rebound numbers came from unless the networks were just flat out wrong (knowing the stats guy for the networks, i find that hard to believe).

I got that off of the espn.com box score minutes after the game.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-07-2008, 12:55 PM
COACH K FOR PRESIDENT!
Is that president of the US or president of Duke??

bigj4194
02-07-2008, 12:56 PM
Is that president of the US or president of Duke??

Does it matter...heck...how about BOTH!

elvis14
02-07-2008, 12:59 PM

I was so excited when I realized the idiot feed wasn't working. What a great way to start watching the game.

Listening to RayCom you would never know they were so close. All they talked about was how UNC owned the boards.

This brings up another blatantly biased Packer comment. At one point, he mentioned that Duke couldn't do much more with what we had, but Carolina had a lot to improve on.

From listening to the idiots last night you would have thought Carolina was the #1 team in the country and Duke was a girls Jr. High School team. At one point Hansblahblah got beat to a rebound and the announcers didn't give the Duke player credit, they just started going on and on about Hanstravel's timing. Late in the game when Singler stole that inbounds pass (awesome play baby!) and Hansfoul had to commit a foul to stop the clock. The idiots didn't talk about the great play Singler just made, they were all about how Hansspaz plays hard the whole game! How many closeups of Hansbugeye did we see last night? Annoying coverage.

He does flop a lot though. I like the one where he tripped over his own team mates leg, fell backwards and drew a charge on Demarcus.

As the game went on I kept track of how many times Hansfoul was either not called on something he could/should have been or got a call he shouldn't have. The Hansfoul count at the end of the game was 15. The refs just love that kid and protect him on both ends of the floor. Oh and he's pretty good without all that! That's not 15 calls, I didn't count good calls for or against Hansreflove just bad calls or bad no-calls. 15!

Enough about the coverage and Hansputz, how about our Blue Devils. I'm so happy. Once I calmed down, I slept so well last night! Here are my random thoughts:

In the second half when DeMarcus got his 4th foul, I realized that I wasn't concerned. How cool is that? We were brining Gerald off the bench. I love having depth.
Paulus and Lance really played their roles great. Lance finally went up strong with out a bunch of head fakes or losing the ball! Greg hit 6 triples. Sweet.
I realize how special a freshman Singler is when you contrast the game he played last night with Smith and King.
Gerald had about 5 plays last night that were just unreal. Blocks, goal tends, the dunk, great stuff.
On my way home I was talking with a friend of mine and I said "Hansblahblah is going to get his and I don't care. Its more about how we defend the other guys especially Ellington". I love it when Duke wins....oh and when I'm right too :D
We had 6 guys in double figures and could have had more if Smith or King would have been a little more on. Did I mention that I love having depth?
Jon had another great all around game. He's the glue baby!
I never realized how little defense Hansraycom plays. Coach K did notice and I loved the way Lance went right over him for layups.
Love the team chemistry we have right now.
Did I mention that I'm really happy today?

jipops
02-07-2008, 01:12 PM
We really could have used some rain over here in the Triangle area from the weather system that passed through yesterday. But I'm ok with it coming in the form of Greg Paulus/ Jon Scheyer / Kyle Singler 3's in the Smith Center instead.

jfreem
02-07-2008, 01:31 PM
I believe that when Hansborough begins to play in the NBA, the officiating crews will laugh at his flopping and jumping into defenders and yell to him "play on!" or "not a chance!"

It's unbeliveable how such a large, strong, young man gets calls for blatantly jumping into defenders. The TV commentators are right when they label him as unstoppable; any defender that dares stand in front of #50 when he lunges will quickly get into foul trouble!

Were I an NBA GM, I wouldn't waste a first round pick on him.

darthur
02-07-2008, 01:36 PM
See Duncan, Tim. Unfortunately (in my opinion), big men are rewarded on offense for creating contact at all levels of play.

DoubleDuke Dad
02-07-2008, 01:38 PM
I believe that when Hansborough begins to play in the NBA, the officiating crews will laugh at his flopping and jumping into defenders and yell to him "play on!" or "not a chance!"

It's unbeliveable how such a large, strong, young man gets calls for blatantly jumping into defenders. The TV commentators are right when they label him as unstoppable; any defender that dares stand in front of #50 when he lunges will quickly get into foul trouble!

Were I an NBA GM, I wouldn't waste a first round pick on him.
Speaking of flopping, I noticed that when he is on defense he seems to be able to be knocked over quite easily.

killerleft
02-07-2008, 01:41 PM
What's unfortunate is that Hansflop does most things legally, like workin' his butt off, great footwork (don't laugh), great positioning, and a knack for shooting very well after hard contact.

captmojo
02-07-2008, 01:48 PM
I was so excited when I realized the idiot feed wasn't working. What a great way to start watching the game.

From listening to the idiots last night you would have thought Carolina was the #1 team in the country and Duke was a girls Jr. High School team. At one point Hansblahblah got beat to a rebound and the announcers didn't give the Duke player credit, they just started going on and on about Hanstravel's timing. Late in the game when Singler stole that inbounds pass (awesome play baby!) and Hansfoul had to commit a foul to stop the clock. The idiots didn't talk about the great play Singler just made, they were all about how Hansspaz plays hard the whole game! How many closeups of Hansbugeye did we see last night? Annoying coverage.

As the game went on I kept track of how many times Hansfoul was either not called on something he could/should have been or got a call he shouldn't have. The Hansfoul count at the end of the game was 15. The refs just love that kid and protect him on both ends of the floor. Oh and he's pretty good without all that! That's not 15 calls, I didn't count good calls for or against Hansreflove just bad calls or bad no-calls. 15!

Enough about the coverage and Hansputz, how about our Blue Devils. I'm so happy. Once I calmed down, I slept so well last night! Here are my random thoughts:

In the second half when DeMarcus got his 4th foul, I realized that I wasn't concerned. How cool is that? We were brining Gerald off the bench. I love having depth.
Paulus and Lance really played their roles great. Lance finally went up strong with out a bunch of head fakes or losing the ball! Greg hit 6 triples. Sweet.
I realize how special a freshman Singler is when you contrast the game he played last night with Smith and King.
Gerald had about 5 plays last night that were just unreal. Blocks, goal tends, the dunk, great stuff.
On my way home I was talking with a friend of mine and I said "Hansblahblah is going to get his and I don't care. Its more about how we defend the other guys especially Ellington". I love it when Duke wins....oh and when I'm right too :D
We had 6 guys in double figures and could have had more if Smith or King would have been a little more on. Did I mention that I love having depth?
I never realized how little defense Hansraycom plays. Coach K did notice and I loved the way Lance went right over him for layups.

Prize for the most assorted nicknames for Beaker:D

Watched the game replay on video this morning. I first thought Hanswhoever's "patented spin move" consisted of three steps without a dribble. I was wrong. FOUR.

DeMarcus' fourth foul was replayed in slow motion from an overhead camera. If that's a foul, it's a shame. Looked to this poster, there was no contact, that should have resulted in a foul by anyone. It only appeared to be a good follow of a missed shot. Next play.

BlueDevilBaby
02-07-2008, 01:49 PM
Maybe the ACC refs need a refresher course. During the Oklahoma/Texas game, Blake Griffin pulled a TH move under the basket and was called for a charge. I was shocked because I thought that's always a foul on the defender.:rolleyes:

In any event, I think HansTravel will do fine in the NBA but won't be a star like our Boozer and Brand. Watching Griffin last night, I think, even as a freshman, he has a more complete and refined game than TH. I'd like to see those two go head to head.

whereinthehellami
02-07-2008, 02:03 PM
There was alot of talk of had the best 6th man.

Scheyer - 17 Pts, 6 boards, and 3 steals in 33 minutes.

Green - 3 Pts, 3 boards, and 1 steal in 23 minutes.

ugadevil
02-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Feldspar-

I was curious to know your thoughts about the officiating from last night's game. I know that you usually review the tape and watch closely on the questionable calls the referees make. I am unable to tape the game, so it's difficult to gain a real assessment of how I think the officials did. It's hilarious to listen to Billy Packer cover a game because he feels the need to point out EVERY possible mistake the a ref could make (evidently it's supposed to be a perfectly called game). What were your thoughts on this crew?

CMS2478
02-07-2008, 02:16 PM
I remember one call in particular where Hanstravel jumped into Singler who was standing there with his hands straight up and Singler was immediately whistled for the foul. :rolleyes:

elvis14
02-07-2008, 02:47 PM
There was alot of talk of had the best 6th man.

Scheyer - 17 Pts, 6 boards, and 3 steals in 33 minutes.
Green - 3 Pts, 3 boards, and 1 steal in 23 minutes.

Let's not forget about the way Green got abused on the defensive side and how the announcers kept reassuring us that he's one of Carolina's best defenders and how he's one of the ACC's best defenders. I especially like how they told us about that after Gerald faked middle spun baseline around him and threw down the big nasty two handed JAM!

keithg
02-07-2008, 02:49 PM
"In any event, I think HansTravel will do fine in the NBA but won't be a star like our Boozer and Brand. Watching Griffin last night, I think, even as a freshman, he has a more complete and refined game than TH. I'd like to see those two go head to head."

This is already pretty obvious to the NBA scouts who have Griffin as a top 5 pick in any year he goes out and TH as borderline first rounder. Griffin is 5 times the athlete TH and has a 40 inch vertical leap.

What is interesting that it's Carolina fans that always make a big deal about their relative sucess in the NBA, and their all-time leading scorer (I'm always certain he'll be back next year) will be a role player in the NBA. To me, it's irrevelant and doesn't diminsh his accomplishments in college..no different that JJ, but it'll be interesting to see how their fans spin it.

elvis14
02-07-2008, 02:51 PM
I remember one call in particular where Hanstravel jumped into Singler who was standing there with his hands straight up and Singler was immediately whistled for the foul. :rolleyes:

I didn't even count that as one of the 15 instances I noted above...I was torn on that one because it's just one of those calls that Hansrefsluvme gets automatically all the time. But I remember that specifically and it didn't make me happy.

At the same time, as someone else noted how about the defensive discipline shown by Kyle and Lance last night? That was great.

UrinalCake
02-07-2008, 03:15 PM
The only time the announcers talk about how many fouls a player is when a Duke opponent picks up a key foul. Then they can talk about how Duke gets all the calls, and put up a graphic showing the foul disparity. When a Duke player gets into foul trouble, nothing is said.

Just like when the refs make a bad call in Duke's favor, they always replay it over and over. But whenever there's a bad call against Duke, I sit there and wait for a replay but it never comes.

</rant>

DukeDevil
02-07-2008, 03:22 PM
"In any event, I think HansTravel will do fine in the NBA but won't be a star like our Boozer and Brand. Watching Griffin last night, I think, even as a freshman, he has a more complete and refined game than TH. I'd like to see those two go head to head."

What I hate the most about Hansofforyoullgetwhistledforafoul isn't his travels or his flops or any of that, it's that if I'm honest with myself, I wish he played for us, and I hate to say that about any carowhina player.

strawman
02-07-2008, 03:32 PM
I enjoyed the mass exit of all of the smurf blue sweater-vests with around 2 minutes to go in the game. I'm sure that made Roy happy watching the hole faithful pull a Bill Belichick and sneak out early. The dome was about 1/3 empty by the time the final horn sounded.

bdh21
02-07-2008, 03:37 PM
I especially like how they told us about that after Gerald faked middle spun baseline around him and threw down the big nasty two handed JAM!

I've watched every game Henderson has played at Duke and for some reason it only hit me last night... He's Derek Zoolander! He can't turn left! Seriously though, as erratic as G's ballhandling can be at times it's much worse when he goes to his left.

On the play you mentioned, G started going to his left then spun back to the right. G is obviously athletic so the spin move was very quick, but the dribble was wide and slow which would have given a better defender ample time to slide in front of G. I bring this up to make two points.
1)Gerald's defenders did not force him left at all last night. That's just poor scouting/coaching/preparation on Carolina's part, take your pick.

2)If G is smart he'll become amphibious(!) before taking the jump to the lottery. It could add >5 ppg to his eventual NBA career.

alaskan assassin
02-07-2008, 03:41 PM
What was up with the UNC towl boys? I mean those 8 year olds took forever! HansTravel and the refs had to spend 10 mineuts inbetween play just telling them where the sweat was.

Indoor66
02-07-2008, 03:51 PM
What was up with the UNC towl boys? I mean those 8 year olds took forever! HansTravel and the refs had to spend 10 mineuts inbetween play just telling them where the sweat was.

Hole strategy for a rest without a time out.

mr. synellinden
02-07-2008, 04:07 PM

Your "Hansputz" reference made me laugh harder than anything I've read on these boards. Awesome.

I agree wholeheartedly with all your game observations.

dukerev
02-07-2008, 04:20 PM
One thing that I haven't seen on the thread (and I think I've read all 14,843 posts) is how effective we were in stopping their secondary break. Obviously Lawson was not in, and we must admit he's retarded fast. However, even though QT isn't quite as speedy, he isn't exactly treading with concrete slippers. The reason that we stopped their secondary break cold last night was due to our execution of a scheme designed to stop it. I can't believe none of the commentators picked up on this. Carolina relies so heavily not only on pure transition baskets, but also on their vaunted secondary break (which really is something to watch when they have it clicking).

We guarded their point guard baseline to baseline. However, what is more important is that our man who was assigned to guard their man who inbounded the ball picked up the dribbler at halfcourt, especially if their point guard had a step on whichever Devil was guarding the ball. This slowed their point man enough for our point guard to catch up with the play and our half court defense to set up.

I really think that this scheme as much as anything else helped us to win. They were forced into half court offense far more than they are comfortable with (and far more like what they will see deep in the tournament). It doesn't mean that UNC doesn't have the horses to play half-court basketball. They most certainly do - that is a very talented team. However, they practice their secondary break a lot more and are in much better rythmn when they are getting those outlet breaks and easy baskets. They are capable of playing other ways, but we took them out of their comfort zone. This is why defense wins championships! Way to go Coach K and staff for game-planning this! Way to go Duke for executing it so well!

Constantstrain 81
02-07-2008, 04:29 PM
- Billy Packer railing about a non-call that should have been made against Duke; but nary a word about non-calls the other way

- Tyler Hans (not his fault, he doesn't blow the whistle) taking numerous steps on a spin move, traveling, and not getting that call.

- Tyler Hans bulling to the basket, scoring and drawing a foul. Okay, he's strong and motivated. But if he creates the contact, then it is a charge or a no-call - why does the poor defender have to get a foul called on them just for standing there.

- UNC fans writing about the Duke flopping and then remaining mysteriously silent after the game about the egregious Hansflopper (the strongest man in the ACC) repeatedly knocked to the ground upon contact from young hobbits.

- UNC fans (whose team clearly got the better of the calls last night) actually complaining that Duke got all the calls.

- National writers and announcers who still can't accept Duke's season. They have consistently taken it to every team. 8-0 in the ACC with four tough road wins and all double digit wins (except 9 against MD). When does it stop being luck, good fortune, and happenstance? I mean, we are 21 games into the season. Hey guys! We really are good.

- Guys who write "what really irritates me is ..." postings.

Great win!!!

_Gary
02-07-2008, 05:56 PM
The only time the announcers talk about how many fouls a player is when a Duke opponent picks up a key foul. Then they can talk about how Duke gets all the calls, and put up a graphic showing the foul disparity. When a Duke player gets into foul trouble, nothing is said.

Just like when the refs make a bad call in Duke's favor, they always replay it over and over. But whenever there's a bad call against Duke, I sit there and wait for a replay but it never comes.

</rant>

This is so incredibly true it's not even funny. And I'm saying this after taking the Duke Blue glasses off. Honest. I'm not kidding. I'm dead serious...

Lulu
02-07-2008, 06:37 PM

</rant>

I was going to write this exact same thing. I really couldn't be sure that it wasn't just me and my personal bias towards what I'd like to see, but it feels like this habit by ESPN or whoever is outright blatant when I'm watching. Every single time there a call I'd like to see in replay it NEVER, EVER comes. NEVER. ... EVER ... Even when the announcers have already made a statement that it might have been questionable we still never see it replayed. And all the while any call that goes the other way is replayed about 5 times. It feels like someone in a back room is looking over the replays and if the refs really did get something wrong, screwing Duke, it's blocked from broadcast.

I've been wanted to write this for many games now, it wasn't just last night that I noticed.

pfrduke
02-07-2008, 06:42 PM
I was going to write this exact same thing. I really couldn't be sure that it wasn't just me and my personal bias towards what I'd like to see, but it feels like this habit by ESPN or whoever is outright blatant when I'm watching. Every single time there a call I'd like to see in replay it NEVER, EVER comes. NEVER. ... EVER ... Even when the announcers have already made a statement that it might have been questionable we still never see it replayed. And all the while any call that goes the other way is replayed about 5 times. It feels like someone in a back room is looking over the replays and if the refs really did get something wrong, screwing Duke, it's blocked from broadcast.

I've been wanted to write this for many games now, it wasn't just last night that I noticed.

OTOH, I recall at least two plays last night where they showed a replay of a call that went against UNC (i.e., in Duke's favor) and either Mike Patrick or Vitale said "right call."

BAMDSALL
02-07-2008, 06:43 PM
Gary Williams was right in his comment after their loss to us....

"people forget that mismatches occur on both ends of the floor"

Lulu
02-07-2008, 06:51 PM
OTOH, I recall at least two plays last night where they showed a replay of a call that went against UNC (i.e., in Duke's favor) and either Mike Patrick or Vitale said "right call."

I'm not sure how you meant that exactly, but on one hand this is rather supports what I'm talking about. No one is telling Vitale or Patrick what their opinion is, they're just blabbering as usual, but someone is deciding that these calls against UNC (that might have been questionable at first glance at least, or sure, even wrong at times) should be replayed for a 2nd look. Vitale can have his opinion but who's deciding to replay these plays. Seems like it's so rare for this to occur on questionable calls against Duke. I don't know much of anything about how a TV broadcast works, and sometimes the announcers will request replays, sure, but it usually seems they just comment on whatever someone else puts on the screen.

I almost want to do a tally on something simple, like how many times they replay a ball bouncing off of Duke out-of-bounds vs the other team.

I'll admit that they showed DeMarcus' 4th foul more than once last night. But that play was an exception considering how weird it was. Plus, they probably just wanted to show UNC scoring and getting the ball back. Plus, the announcers seemed to agree it was a good call (though I barely saw the contact myself).

Lulu
02-07-2008, 06:53 PM
btw, where is this supposed 4 step spin move by hansbrough? was it in last night's game? if so i want to find it and maybe put in on youtube (mostly just to combat all the anti-duke vids of similar nature). forgive me, but i tried scanning this whole thread to find a mention of where is was buy couldn't find it.

dukestheheat
02-07-2008, 07:07 PM
My $.02 on the game last night. The one thing that stood out to me was that the team withstood foul trouble to its leader - Nelson played just 23 minutes last night, but the team still won. If you had told me before the game that Nelson would play barely more than half the time, I would have been very concerned, but the rest of the team really stepped up when he was sitting on the sidelines.

I also thought that this game was a great example of very good players executing a very good gameplan to perfection. K had the perfect strategy on offense and defense. On offense, we used lots of high ball screens and pick-and-pops to get open shooters. In addition, he had 6 different players who he was comfortable having drive the ball at the hoop. That enabled Duke to constantly switch up who would be controlling the ball - Carolina couldn't focus on stopping just one guy. On defense, Duke did a lot of "pre-double teaming" to deny the entry passes. The defender guarding Hansbrough played behind him all night, the defender guarding the ball was up in the face of the passer, and a weakside defender was usually playing off his man at the three point line to shadow the passing lane into the post and make it extremely difficult to enter the ball. Duke also did an admirable job (for the most part) of playing position defense and hands-up defense in the post - not a ton of reaching, and although we still got called for a bunch of fouls, no one fouled out.

Last night's game was an excellent display of basketball between two very good teams. It was a joy to watch (particularly since Duke won!) and the rematch will be something special as well.

That is an astute observation and I totally agree that Duke really showed a lot in terms of fortitude and maturity by fighting through DeMarcus's foul troubles.

And, I do believe that that very issue was probably discussed with K after the game. DeMarcus played great defense and contributed overall, but he's going to be needed ON the court, as the senior and the Captain, going forward. I do believe that when Markie looks back on this game, he'll probably remind himself of that fact as well. Markie has played so well for Duke this year and without him, I wondered how we'd do. Duke delivered and this shows our balance and will to win.

Great win for Duke and I am so proud of this whole team.

dth.

yancem
02-07-2008, 07:08 PM

What's With Capitalizing The First Letter Of Every Word? Kind Of Painful To Read!

Chard
02-07-2008, 07:35 PM
One thing that I haven't seen on the thread (and I think I've read all 14,843 posts) is how effective we were in stopping their secondary break. Obviously Lawson was not in, and we must admit he's retarded fast. However, even though QT isn't quite as speedy, he isn't exactly treading with concrete slippers. The reason that we stopped their secondary break cold last night was due to our execution of a scheme designed to stop it. I can't believe none of the commentators picked up on this. Carolina relies so heavily not only on pure transition baskets, but also on their vaunted secondary break (which really is something to watch when they have it clicking).

We guarded their point guard baseline to baseline. However, what is more important is that our man who was assigned to guard their man who inbounded the ball picked up the dribbler at halfcourt, especially if their point guard had a step on whichever Devil was guarding the ball. This slowed their point man enough for our point guard to catch up with the play and our half court defense to set up.

I really think that this scheme as much as anything else helped us to win. They were forced into half court offense far more than they are comfortable with (and far more like what they will see deep in the tournament). It doesn't mean that UNC doesn't have the horses to play half-court basketball. They most certainly do - that is a very talented team. However, they practice their secondary break a lot more and are in much better rythmn when they are getting those outlet breaks and easy baskets. They are capable of playing other ways, but we took them out of their comfort zone. This is why defense wins championships! Way to go Coach K and staff for game-planning this! Way to go Duke for executing it so well!

I forgot about that. When the UNC ball handler got away from the pressure he was met by another Duke defender just after the half court line. This allowed the pressure defender to recover with a defensive position again. It was a nice wrinkle.

Channing
02-07-2008, 08:06 PM
i just went over to IC . . . there is a thread asking people who is the better team - Duke or UNC. It is fantastic reading some of the Carolina fans rattle off lists as to why Duke is the better team. Basically - they say Duke is the better team because we play as a team and play tough D. I love it!

pfrduke
02-07-2008, 08:07 PM
I'm not sure how you meant that exactly, but on one hand this is rather supports what I'm talking about. No one is telling Vitale or Patrick what their opinion is, they're just blabbering as usual, but someone is deciding that these calls against UNC (that might have been questionable at first glance at least, or sure, even wrong at times) should be replayed for a 2nd look. Vitale can have his opinion but who's deciding to replay these plays. Seems like it's so rare for this to occur on questionable calls against Duke. I don't know much of anything about how a TV broadcast works, and sometimes the announcers will request replays, sure, but it usually seems they just comment on whatever someone else puts on the screen.

I almost want to do a tally on something simple, like how many times they replay a ball bouncing off of Duke out-of-bounds vs the other team.

I'll admit that they showed DeMarcus' 4th foul more than once last night. But that play was an exception considering how weird it was. Plus, they probably just wanted to show UNC scoring and getting the ball back. Plus, the announcers seemed to agree it was a good call (though I barely saw the contact myself).

Ah, I see what you were saying. The only questionable call against Duke I specifically remember them showing besides Nelson's 4th was the play where Hansbrough went up against a Singler/Thomas double team, got no contact from either of them, but somehow still got a foul called and went to the line.

Clipsfan
02-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Apologies if this has been covered already - he did get called for a push-off, but it was against a different Tar Heel (Green?) than made the tip-in (Ellington). From the replay, it looked like it should have been no basket - the push came before Ellington even touched the ball. But the refs decided it happened simultaneously, I guess, or even a touch after Ellington made the tip, so it was count the basket and ball to the Holes.

It was one of the worst calls I've seen.

devildeac
02-07-2008, 08:42 PM
i just went over to IC . . . there is a thread asking people who is the better team - Duke or UNC. It is fantastic reading some of the Carolina fans rattle off lists as to why Duke is the better team. Basically - they say Duke is the better team because we play as a team and play tough D. I love it!

and someone once said there is no intelligent life at IC:rolleyes:

Clipsfan
02-07-2008, 08:54 PM
That is an astute observation and I totally agree that Duke really showed a lot in terms of fortitude and maturity by fighting through DeMarcus's foul troubles.

And, I do believe that that very issue was probably discussed with K after the game. DeMarcus played great defense and contributed overall, but he's going to be needed ON the court, as the senior and the Captain, going forward. I do believe that when Markie looks back on this game, he'll probably remind himself of that fact as well. Markie has played so well for Duke this year and without him, I wondered how we'd do. Duke delivered and this shows our balance and will to win.

Great win for Duke and I am so proud of this whole team.

dth.

Nelson was jobbed by the refs in regards to his fouls, so I find it hard to blame him for them. The 3rd one was the phantom charge where Hans was moving backwards and sideways and then flopped, while the 4th was the slight push in the back after he'd been pushed by the guy who tipped it in (and it was out of the play, almost never called even if much worse of a push).

Virginian
02-07-2008, 09:00 PM
What I hate the most about Hansofforyoullgetwhistledforafoul isn't his travels or his flops or any of that, it's that if I'm honest with myself, I wish he played for us, and I hate to say that about any carowhina player.

Why would you want on your team a guy who, although supposedly a horse physically, can't keep himself on his feet? TH spent half the game on his back. Even a wisp of a kid like Nolan Smith can send him sprawling on his back. He got three or four charges called against Duke in the first half -- right, sure. Must be hard for UNC fans to take that their big gun can be knocked down by the slightest bump.

beltwayBD
02-07-2008, 09:09 PM
Okay, late to the discussion, but a few observations I wanted to get off my chest.

1. Most unexpected performance: Lance Thomas. Putting up some serious points in the paint, and posting up successfully. Loved it, want more of it!

2. Most disappointing performances: Taylor King and David McClure. King I'll cut some slack, he's a young kid, and hasn't been playing as well since league play started. I expect him to develop his game, but not all at once. McClure however, has to get more comfortable shooting the ball. He's been avoiding shooting the ball all season, even when he's open. He's a tremendous athlete, and just needs to develop a little more confidence in his shot.

Minor nitpicks. Impressive play by the team as a whole, and I couldn't be happier gloating at work today!

Saratoga2
02-08-2008, 02:13 PM
Paulus was the man, but Singler played amazing defense on the H-man.

I just got to a computer in Hawaii but was able to watch the second half of the game. To me, Scheyer was the man with Singler right in there with him. True, Paulus had 6 threes, but he also was careless with the ball at the end on two occassions.

Go Scheyer

Channing
02-08-2008, 02:22 PM
Why would you want on your team a guy who, although supposedly a horse physically, can't keep himself on his feet? TH spent half the game on his back. Even a wisp of a kid like Nolan Smith can send him sprawling on his back. He got three or four charges called against Duke in the first half -- right, sure. Must be hard for UNC fans to take that their big gun can be knocked down by the slightest bump.

I am all for hating the holes . . . but if I had an opportunity to get him on my team, I would take TH in a heartbeat.

SeattleIrish
02-08-2008, 05:05 PM
If so, unc92sax does a great statistical thread (after every game and at mid-points for all-acc) that assigns rankings for each ACC player and combined rankings for each team - I found it to be very telling of overall ACC success.

I don't want to cut-and-paste it here without his permission, and I'm banned over there. Is there anyone willing to send him a message either asking him to post it here on DBR, or asking for permission to paste it here?

thanks,

s.i.

p.s. - the thread is called, "ACC Player Ratings - Mid-Season"

pfrduke
02-08-2008, 05:34 PM
done - can't believe I still have an IC account.

Stray Gator
02-08-2008, 05:42 PM
I also sent the request.

Karl Beem
02-08-2008, 05:42 PM
The blocking call on McClure at 1:08 of the 1st half was simply astonishing! Dave was set and not moving.

SeattleIrish
02-08-2008, 05:47 PM
Thanks to both of you.

s.i.

yancem
02-08-2008, 08:02 PM
If so, unc92sax does a great statistical thread (after every game and at mid-points for all-acc) that assigns rankings for each ACC player and combined rankings for each team - I found it to be very telling of overall ACC success.

I don't want to cut-and-paste it here without his permission, and I'm banned over there. Is there anyone willing to send him a message either asking him to post it here on DBR, or asking for permission to paste it here?

thanks,

s.i.

p.s. - the thread is called, "ACC Player Ratings - Mid-Season"

Were you banned for good reasons or simply because you're a Duke fan?

SeattleIrish
02-08-2008, 10:37 PM
I posted over there for years, and GENERALLY found the atmosphere pretty healthy (although not nearly close to as civil as on DBR) - they have some very knowledgable fans there.

I don't feel I was banned for "good reasons", but I always felt I was a guest on their board and, as far as I'm concerned, you can always boot out a "guest" without a need to give a good reason. IC was going through a house cleaning at that point anyway, and I think I just got swept up in the cleansing.

No hard feelings on my side :-)

s.i.

yancem
02-08-2008, 11:18 PM
I posted over there for years, and GENERALLY found the atmosphere pretty healthy (although not nearly close to as civil as on DBR) - they have some very knowledgable fans there.

I don't feel I was banned for "good reasons", but I always felt I was a guest on their board and, as far as I'm concerned, you can always boot out a "guest" without a need to give a good reason. IC was going through a house cleaning at that point anyway, and I think I just got swept up in the cleansing.

No hard feelings on my side :-)

s.i.

Fair enough!

Karl Beem
02-09-2008, 09:26 AM
Fair enough!

One of the IC twits posted about some players' behavior being "so gay". I responded something like "you should know all about that". I was banned. That was maybe my 3rd or 4th post over there.

wilson
02-10-2008, 10:12 AM
Text message from my cousin, a current kuralonna student, yesterday morning:
"You and your I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ie friends are repulsive."
My response:
"You and your tar hole friends are in second place."
:D :D :D

blueprofessor
02-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Text message from my cousin, a current kuralonna student, yesterday morning:
"You and your I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ie friends are repulsive."
My response:
"You and your tar hole friends are in second place."

Unless you were looking to hire someone! Heh,heh. Just kidding. Sorta. :D
Best regards--Blueprofessor:D :D :D

dynastydefender
02-10-2008, 10:56 AM
Unless you were looking to hire someone! Heh,heh. Just kidding. Sorta. :D
Best regards--Blueprofessor:D :D :D
Please tell your cousin I said Hello!

Devilsfan
02-10-2008, 11:08 AM
If you're looking to hire someone for yard work, NCSU grads are a lot better.

yancem
02-10-2008, 01:11 PM
If you're looking to hire someone for yard work, NCSU grads are a lot better.

They do have a better agricultural department!

yancem
02-10-2008, 01:12 PM
One of the IC twits posted about some players' behavior being "so gay". I responded something like "you should know all about that". I was banned. That was maybe my 3rd or 4th post over there.

Banned after your 3rd or 4th post, that's pretty impressive.