PDA

View Full Version : Idol comments

JasonEvans
03-13-2007, 11:32 PM
Ok, I am midway through my Tivo'd version of Idol (I cannot watch it live and sit through those absurd, meaningless chit-chats with Diana Ross) and they just skewered Chris for putting his own spin on Endless Love.

I could not be more angry at the judges right now. If a contestant comes out and sings a song the way we are used to, they criticize the contestant for being like a karaoke singer. They constantly tell people to "make it your own" and that is exactly what Chris did. He knew he was not a classic motown singer so he put a more modern spin on the song. I liked what he did!! No, it wass not what we expect from Endless Love, but it was his take on the song and he was pretty good. I would have given him huge points for courage and in a singing competition, at least he was showing some musical ability.

And for that, they tell him he sucked. Well, FEH on them!!

I am terrified that Chris is going to be voted out now. He and my other fave among the guys Blake Lewis are among the bottom 3 right now on DialIdol. YIKES!!! Sanjaya, of course, is right at the top on DialIdol. Apparently, vote for the worst is still working hard.

-Jason "not sure it matters, Melinda is a lot better than anyone this year" Evans

JasonEvans
03-14-2007, 08:50 AM
Ok, so I watched the whole thing now...

I was shocked --shocked, I say-- that the men did poorly compared to the women on a night when they were all required to sing songs made famous by a female singer. Gosh, I never knew that white guys would have trouble singing like Diana Ross. :eek:

I hope next week is Barry White week and the women have to sing songs in a low register.

Look, I know the guys are not, for the most part, in a league with even the lower-level women but could the show cut them a little bit of a break by at least letting them perform songs they have a chance at making something out of.

In fairness, Phil Collins made You Can't Hurry Love work for a guy and there are some Diana Ross songs that a guy could do fine singing, but these guys need every break they can get.

I am still mad at the treatment Chris got, but his performance was just so-so. I really hope he and Blake stick around because they are the only guys worth a darn.

-Jason "if someone other than Melinda Doolittle wins this, it will be a HUGE upset in my mind" Evans

mr. synellinden
03-14-2007, 11:03 AM
JE - Totally agree with you on that - I was equally frustrated that they faulted Chris AND Blake for taking a chance at making an old song their own when they constantly criticize contestants for not taking chances and karaoke-like performances. I thought Blake's version of You Keep Me Hangin On was outstanding and unique - it was my favorite performance of the night even though it probably wasn't the best vocally. I just found it to be the most entertaining.

I also agree that Chris S. and Blake are the only two men worth watching.

I loved Jordin last night and still think that Melinda will not win unless she stops with the "aw shucks, I can't believe you really think I'm good" wide-eyed head bob. It's enough humility already.

Also, did Haley really get away with calling herself a schmuck?

CMS2478
03-14-2007, 01:34 PM
I am quickly losing interest in it for several reasons...........

1) the contestants aren't as good this year
2) the judges are riduculous and hypocritical as some of have already stated
3) I still think it could be rigged (especially is Sanjaya gets through again)
4) They pick the dumbest genre of songs and make them sing stupid stuff.

JasonEvans
03-14-2007, 10:47 PM
Whew!! Chris and Blake were fine. I pretty much agree with the bottom three, though I was glad to see Phil get another shot. He has potential if he can harness the right song.

Sanjaya was #2 to the bottom!!! SWEET!!!!! We might actually get rid of the kid next week-- though if his performance this week could not get him voted off one has to wonder how bad he has to be to lose his support. I also find that when someone hits the bottom three, their supporters tend to rally the next week out of fear. Still, fingers crossed on Sanjaya getting the boot ASAP!

Brandon was really bad and deserved to go.

-Jason "wow, was DialIdol ever WRONG! It had Sanjaya no lower than 5th and it looked like Brandon was also fairly safe" Evans

CMS2478
03-15-2007, 10:12 AM
kid stays in the competition, the more I think

a) the show is rigged

b) there are a lot of teenage girls voting

hopevalleygirlnc
03-15-2007, 11:49 AM
Sanjaya is CLEARLY getting the 12 year old girl vote! MD is AMAZING! I love Blake and hope he's in the top 3!

CMS2478
03-15-2007, 12:02 PM
Sanjaya is CLEARLY getting the 12 year old girl vote! MD is AMAZING! I love Blake and hope he's in the top 3!

It also seems that Blake and Justin Timberlake look-a-like (can't remember his name) would be getting the little girlie votes too, I don't understand it.:confused:

Bostondevil
03-17-2007, 09:35 AM
I knew Brandon was toast. I didn't post here but I do have witnesses. Sanjaya will not win but he may last another week or two, remember Kevin Covais?

Going in, I figured Haley would be the first to go but she surprised me on Tuesday plus she looks a lot like Katherine McPhee. Being the prettiest white girl left probably gets some votes. I'm sure Katherine hopes she's gone soon. Having a look alike on this year's Idol probably won't help her album sales.

I'm not going to predict a winner yet and winning doesn't always translate into the best album sales.

Exiled_Devil
03-17-2007, 02:04 PM
kid stays in the competition, the more I think

a) the show is rigged

b) there are a lot of teenage girls voting

The show isn't rigged by the producers - there are people out there that purposefully mess with the voting in order to mess with the show.

Votefortheworst.com is an amusing example, where they rally people around a single singer (or two, depending on how the voting works) and try to keep them in as long as possible. They don't believe idol is really a talent show, they think it is an entertainment show and the producers don't care about the quality of the win as long as people watch. As such, they think they are doing a service t the producers - providing entertainment - and to the viewers - lifting the curtain.

I don't watch the show - give me 'so you think you can dance', take your idol and clumsy celebrity dancing shows

Exiled

Bostondevil
03-20-2007, 11:49 PM
I liked tonight's show but really, Diamonds Are Forever was a bad choice LaKisha, if you're gonna sing Bond, sing Goldfinger!

OK, prediction on who's going - Stephanie. She didn't sing You Don't Have to Say You Love Me anywhere near as well as Nadia two years ago and us true Idolites remember Nadia. I could hedge my bets and guess a bottom two but, nah. Stephanie, that's my prediction.

Sanjaya should have sung I'm Into Something Good. He sucked but hugging the crying girl will get him another week. It was just too cute and that's why he's still here in the first place.

SoCalDukeFan
03-21-2007, 02:15 AM
I am actually starting to like this group more each week, with the notable exception of Sanjaya.

Bottom 3 will be of this 4
Sanjaya
Phil
Gina
Stephanie

JasonEvans
03-21-2007, 09:43 AM
First of all, WOW, could Blake haev been any better? I would buy that version of "Time of the Season" if it was for sale. I would listen to it on the radio. I rewound my TIVO and listened to it again right after hearing it. Damn, that was great!!

I thought Stephanie, Sanjaya, and Haley were all bad and in danger of being voted off-- thought Stephanie is the most talented of that trio, by a lot. Gina could be in trouble for screeching a Rolling Stones classic. But the bottom line is I cannot believe how bad Sanjaya is. Please, America, put him out of his missery!! I cannot bear listening to him anymore. Lakisha was awful (for her) too, but I cannot imagine she is in any danger.

Finally, I don't think I can recall a season where one person stood out from everyone else the way Melinda does. It is not even close. She may end up not winning the popularity contest in the end because her personality is so mild and understated, but herr voice is soooo much better than everyone else it is a joke. She will be a big star someday, for sure.

-Jason "Blake is such a breath of fresh air-- unlike what we usually see on Idol. I am loving it" Evans

Bostondevil
03-21-2007, 10:22 AM
I still say Sanjaya is not a god awful singer, but he is a god awful performer. He cannot, CANNOT command a stage, and probably never will, but his singing, straight up, is usually in tune. The song choices? Dreadful and misguided and just so wrong. But at the end of the day, he can sing, sweetly, and in tune. But I'd like him to go sooner rather than later. Still, I think we'll have him one more week.

Agree, Mr. Evans, on Blake's performance, pefect song choice and a lot of wow. I like him best of the guys. Chris S. is letting me down and Chris R., unlike Sanjaya, can't stay in tune. Although I did think Chris R. did the best he's ever done last night.

JasonEvans
03-21-2007, 11:27 AM
Predictions--

The Intrade.com online sports book (the entertainment side of Tradesports.com) has Gina, Haley, and Phil as the most likely to go home tonight. Sanjaya and then Chris Sligh are just behind them. Trading is sorta thin so it is tough to tell exactly who people are putting their money on.

They also have Melinda as about a 50% chance to win the whole thing. Lakisha is next around 20% and then Blake and Jordan, each around 10%.

Dial Idol, which was waaay off last week, has Haley, Gina, Chris Sligh, and Stephanie at the bottom. It says Chris Richardson and Jordin are also in danger of being in the bottom 3. But, last week it waaay overrated Sanjaya's strength thining he had no chance at the bottom three when he did end up there. Surprisingly, DialIdol has Phil Stacey in 2nd place, behind only the behemoth that is Melinda.

We'll see tonight...

-Jason "I think that once Phil and especially Chris Richardson get voted off, then Blake's support will really increase" Evans

CMS2478
03-21-2007, 01:07 PM
Predictions--

The Intrade.com online sports book (the entertainment side of Tradesports.com) has Gina, Haley, and Phil as the most likely to go home tonight. Sanjaya and then Chris Sligh are just behind them. Trading is sorta thin so it is tough to tell exactly who people are putting their money on.

They also have Melinda as about a 50% chance to win the whole thing. Lakisha is next around 20% and then Blake and Jordan, each around 10%.

Dial Idol, which was waaay off last week, has Haley, Gina, Chris Sligh, and Stephanie at the bottom. It says Chris Richardson and Jordin are also in danger of being in the bottom 3. But, last week it waaay overrated Sanjaya's strength thining he had no chance at the bottom three when he did end up there. Surprisingly, DialIdol has Phil Stacey in 2nd place, behind only the behemoth that is Melinda.

We'll see tonight...

-Jason "I think that once Phil and especially Chris Richardson get voted off, then Blake's support will really increase" Evans

I think that is probably accurate having Haley, Gina, and Phil at the bottom. If I had to guess I would say that Haley is safe. She did pretty good last night and wasn't bad to look at either. ;)

mr. synellinden
03-21-2007, 03:28 PM
I've watched a lot of AI and Blake's performance was the most entertaining that I can remember in the last three seasons. What I mean by that is I was engaged, entertained and felt like I was watching a true star musical performance. I too rewound my DVR and watched it twice - that's how good I thought it was. I think Blake is a genuine musical genuis even if he doesn't have the best singing voice.

I know at this point Melinda is blowing everyone else away in terms of pure vocal ability and singing performance but I get most excited to watch Blake - that's what I think wins this contest and what sells records. I also love Jordin and look forward to her performances far more than Melinda. Melinda just lacks a charismatic presence/star quality that goes beyond pure singing talent. To me, Jordin and Blake have both elements.

JasonEvans
03-22-2007, 11:45 AM
I was slightly shocked to see Steph voted off. There is no question that she is a better singer/performer than at least 3 of the people who remain on the show. On the other hand, I don't think she had much of a chance to win the competition.

I do feel badly for her though as it is the top 10 who go on the big Idol tour after the season is over. It is my understanding that the tour nets each of those Idols some pretty decent coin. I know most of the Idol folks find things to make some money and "keep their dream alive" for a year or two after they are voted off the show, but it is a lot easier to do that if you have the Idol tour to fall back upon. Last year they also released an album that I think everyone in the top 8 or 10 got to contribute a song to. So, Steph getting ousted last night was a big deal for her.

Sanjaya needs to go-- NOW!!!

-Jason "here is Blake's Time of the Season performance (http://youtube.com/watch?v=NCRxZuqkBxo)" Evans

Bostondevil
03-22-2007, 12:04 PM
see my earlier post. I'm two for two this year. My oldest son is impressed. He's 13, I'll take whatever admiration I can still get from him, I know my days are numbered. ;)

Yes, I think Stephanie is better than some contestants still remaining but she was the kiss of death on Tuesday, boring. At this point in the competition, spectacular sucking can still beat boring. I've probably watched way too much Idol through the years but I think I've kind of figured out what it takes to stay on. I can't call it until I see the show though. Right now, I have no idea who will go next week but I will post my prediction on Tuesday night.

I will predict that it won't be Melinda or Blake who goes.

SoCalDukeFan
03-28-2007, 01:57 AM
I can not believe how much Idol I watch. And it is a waste of time.

If I were advising Haley I would have two words for her - "short skirts"
I hope she stays.

Chris S should go. Sanjaya should go. Bottom 3 Haley/Chris S/Sanjaya

SoiCal

JasonEvans
03-28-2007, 09:12 AM
I can not believe how much Idol I watch. And it is a waste of time.

If I were advising Haley I would have two words for her - "short skirts"
I hope she stays.

Chris S should go. Sanjaya should go. Bottom 3 Haley/Chris S/Sanjaya

SoiCal

I was a Sligh fan... a long time ago. He has really slipped in my mind and I now see his vocal range as extremely limited. I agree that his time has almost come.

I think Sanjaya is trying to get voted off at this point. He knows he will never have a career in singing so he is trying to be as wild and over-the-top as he can while still remaining lovable. I am telling you, in a few years he could be one of those "why are they famous?" people who show up on reality TV and make appearances and just seem to carve out a career out of being who they are.

Haley was the one a few weeks ago who Simon said, "I don't even remember your name" to, right? Cause every time she performs I find myself going, "wait, who is she again?" I think she could be in real trouble.

I have decided that I hate Chris Richardson. I do not know why but he seems have the exact same facial expressions and vocal patterns in every single performance. It is not that I do not like him, but I am sick of him. I think he is very safe this week though. Being in the bottom 2 last week will scare his fans and they probably went ga-ga voting for him this week.

I thought Gina hit a homerun and Phil Stacey also did well-- good song choices for each of them. They picked songs that are memorable but did not require them to get out of their comfort zones. Smart!

Blake was just so-so, for him. I think everyone agrees with the judges that he is the best male in the competition-- and it ain't even close.

Ok, prediciton time--
DialIdol says Sanjay is safe again this week. Grrrrrr.
DialIdol also says Jordin, Haley, and Chris S are at the bottom, but it says Blake, Phil, and Gina could be in the bottom 3 cause the voting is still pretty close.
I will go with Chris S and Haley in the bottom, for sure. And I'll say that Sanjaya joins them. I think his hair may have scared off just enough of those teenaged girls that he gets in the bottom this week. I am not sure which of those 3 get voted off but I won't be sorry to see any of them go.

-Jason

Bostondevil
03-28-2007, 09:27 AM
I've gotten fairly good at guessing who goes but this week, due to a taping snafu, I only got to see the recaps and I didn't hear the judges comments.

(I know, Tivo, don't have it.)

I think Sanjaya's hair was a hoot. I think this guy gets it. I think he knows he's only there because of teenage girls and Howard Stern and his hair. I'm convinced that 'do was a vote for me just to see what I come up with next week gesture. And quite honestly? I do want to see what he comes up with next week. Love him or hate him, he's not boring. Hey, he's like Duke!

So, with no real confidence, I'm going to guess it's Phil this week. Haley's the best looking female around, she may outlast some better singers on looks alone. Gina could be in trouble but she too looked great last night. Lakisha in the clip looked less than enthusiastic, one more week of going through the motions, great voice or no, she could be in trouble.

mr. synellinden
03-28-2007, 12:58 PM
I think Chris S. is showing not only a lack of performance skill but also an inability to connect with the audience. It was his humor that gave him great likability but he doesn't have a fun personna on stage - even his attempt to work through the audience last week was lacking. It is disappointing.

I STILL don't get it with Chris R. -- there is nothing there for me. I could see him going this week.

I thought Blake was better than just so-so this week because again - he put a unique take on a classic song and made his performance interesting and re-watchable. Compare that with Phil who I thought sang his best performance this week and thought (not to sound like Randy) that was a perfect song for him. But he lacked originality.

I was happy to see Gina do so well because I like her and I can see how much she wants it (as opposed to Phil, Chris S. and Chris R. who sometimes seem to be going through the emotions).

I think I like Haley a lot more than anyone else. I realize she is not setting herself apart that much and understand how some people find her forgettable, but she does have a great look and I think she sings better than people give her credit for - I mean, how much difference is there between her singing ability and McPhee's? (to me, not a lot)

I really enjoyed Jordin's performance - for me it was definitely the best combination of vocal performance and entertainment and still would love to see her and Blake as the final two.

Which leaves Lakisha and Melinda. I thought Lakisha and Melinda sang great this week - but I had no interest in rewatching their performances. I realized that part of the problem I have with Melinda is her stage presence and movements. I don't like the head jerk/head nod thing she does and she still performs with that hunched over stance that unfortunately gives her a troll-like look. I know it's a singing competition but if the judges are going to make comments on outfits, then obviously stage presence, charisma, and overall appearance count for something.

(As Simon said - what's the point even discussing Sanjaya? Other than the fact that I think it's starting to become distraction for the show and producers because he is so bad that it's treading on farcical at this point.)

riverside6
03-28-2007, 01:11 PM
I thought Blake was better than just so-so this week because again - he put a unique take on a classic song and made his performance interesting and re-watchable.

He virtually performed the 311 rendition of the song, which means it wasn't original at all. I'm curious if they will have another "Chris Daughtry" style apology for not giving credit to the true songwriter.

That being said, I still enjoyed it, but it wasn't original.

mr. synellinden
03-28-2007, 01:27 PM
He virtually performed the 311 rendition of the song, which means it wasn't original at all. I'm curious if they will have another "Chris Daughtry" style apology for not giving credit to the true songwriter.

That being said, I still enjoyed it, but it wasn't original.

Didn't he say during one after-performance interview that 311 is one of his favorite artists? That definitely dilutes it for me but since I have never seen/heard the 311 version, it was still unique and re-watchable for me (even if not original).

riverside6
03-28-2007, 01:32 PM
Didn't he say during one after-performance interview that 311 is one of his favorite artists? That definitely dilutes it for me but since I have never seen/heard the 311 version, it was still unique and re-watchable for me (even if not original).

Not sure, but it is the second time he has performed a 311 song, as he did in one of the first couple weeks.

JasonEvans
03-28-2007, 03:28 PM
(As Simon said - what's the point even discussing Sanjaya? Other than the fact that I think it's starting to become distraction for the show and producers because he is so bad that it's treading on farcical at this point.)

Intersting article here from USAToday speculating that the longer Sanjaya sticks around, the worse it is for American Idol. Some in the article even specualte that if he somehow won, it would kill the Idol phenomenon.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2007-03-27-sanjaya-cover_N.htm

-Jason "I am thiking I want him to stick around because it is a more fun show with an 'enemy' to root against" Evans

feldspar
03-28-2007, 03:34 PM
Some in the article even specualte that if he somehow won, it would kill the Idol phenomenon.

This is precisely why I keep voting for him.

AtlBluRew
03-28-2007, 05:36 PM
I can see myself skipping Idol altogether once Sanjaya is voted off. I'm not enthusiastic about any of them, but at least the Sanjaya phenomenon is interesting. I want to see just how awful he can be.

Of the "legitimate" contestants, I hope that Jordin does well. She's likeable, but not so much that I'd tune in just to see her perform or bother to vote for her.

SoCalDukeFan
03-29-2007, 11:16 AM
Chris S went last night. While I have no problem with him leaving, Sanjaya did not make the bottom 3!

Sanjaya never should have made it to Hollywood.

I think I will start recording the shows and just watching my favorites.

SoCal

JasonEvans
03-29-2007, 12:44 PM
I think I will start recording the shows and just watching my favorites.

Dude, this is mandatory!! Watching Idol live?!?!? Oh the horror!!!!

I am eager to see what-- if anything-- Sanjaya can come up with to top this past week. Will he shave his head bald? Will he color his hair orange? What can he do to top the Ponyhawk?

He actually needs to be in the bottom 3 to worry his fan base into voting for him. If they think he is even a little bit safe then he could be toast!

-Jason "Haley is going to have to really step it up to survive the next week or two-- she and Phil are in big trouble" Evans

CMS2478
03-29-2007, 02:21 PM
I am officially over it. Aside from the Sanjaya circus (that I am sick of) there are no contestants left that I even remotely care about. Chris S was the last one that I was pulling for. The contestants are just not as good as the past couple of years and I ABSOLUTELY HATE the songs that they are singing. Guess I will just go to bed early from now on. :rolleyes:

Clipsfan
03-29-2007, 08:59 PM
I am officially over it. Aside from the Sanjaya circus (that I am sick of) there are no contestants left that I even remotely care about. Chris S was the last one that I was pulling for. The contestants are just not as good as the past couple of years and I ABSOLUTELY HATE the songs that they are singing. Guess I will just go to bed early from now on. :rolleyes:

I'm getting more over it, and wondering whether the producers will just kick Sanjaya off no matter how many votes he gets. I don't care to see what he comes up with next, I just think he's an awful performer. That's another reason why I don't see him succeeding as a reality star, as I don't think that he has all that much personality. Most of those people are real attention-seekers, which I don't know that Sanjaya is at heart. He just seems to bland.

You have to watch it recorded, so that you can skip over the idiotic comments etc, and I've skipped through more than one of Haley's incredibly boring performances. I think they should just crown Melinda as the best singer and move on.