PDA

View Full Version : Who is the better player to date?

speedevil
02-05-2008, 08:51 PM
I'm starting this poll because someone in another thread said quite simply "boozer is better than brand." then backed that statement up by saying because boozer has been selected to the all star game 2 times in 6 years compared to brands 2 in nine year, and boozer will add 3 or 4 more all stars in his 9th season.

i always thought brand was flat out better than boozer.

whats you guys thought on this?

pamtar
02-05-2008, 08:53 PM
I have to go with Brand to date. However, I think Boozer may pass him eventually.

Ben63
02-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Some would argue Brand may be a better player, but Boozer is one of the top bigs in the NBA and he plays on a team that is a contender. Brand has played for the Clippers where Donald Sterling doesnt give a crap about basketball and if you play in LA and you dont wear the purple and gold, you wont get any attention. This fact has hurt Brand. Boozer is and will be perenial All Star and he deserves it, he is on of the best.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
02-05-2008, 08:58 PM
I think Candace Parker would say that Shel is better than either of them.:D

Seriously, I think offensively they are fairly even but Brand's D puts him over the top.

CDu
02-05-2008, 08:59 PM
Brand is probably a bit better. But he's playing on a team that lacks a good philosophy and lacks a good PG. He's pretty much had to do everything on his own throughout his career.

That said, Boozer is really, really good. It's pretty close.

superdave
02-05-2008, 09:40 PM
I think Carlos is better - he won a national championship at Duke. His pro career, which means less to me than his college career, is better too. Look at Utah making the wester conf finals last year, and are first or second this year. Brand never did that with similar talent in LA.

CDu
02-05-2008, 10:08 PM
I think Carlos is better - he won a national championship at Duke. His pro career, which means less to me than his college career, is better too. Look at Utah making the wester conf finals last year, and are first or second this year. Brand never did that with similar talent in LA.

It's a team game, so the fact that Boozer has a title and Brand doesn't (although Brand came REALLY close to one) doesn't seem like the best way to determine such a thing.

Also, Utah and LA don't necessarily have similar talent. LA has lacked the PG play that Utah has, and they lack the coaching. Put Brand in Utah last year and they still go to the Western Conference Finals. Put Boozer in LA and they still don't go to the Finals.

billybreen
02-05-2008, 10:18 PM
Yeah, I've got to say that this is not at all the thread I was expecting. Which is probably a good thing.

superdave
02-05-2008, 10:47 PM
Carlos' team won gold last year under Coach K in the world championships. Brand's lost a few years ago.

Los likely remains an elite pf in the next 7-8 years - not sure Brand does. Let's count all-star appearances in a few years and compare.

Last year, Booz and Brand were with Stoudemire as the only players in the league to be top 20 in pts, rebs and shoot %.

Booz averaging 16.6 and 9.9 over career as 36th pick.

Brand averaging 20.3 and 10.2 over career as 1st pick.

I say Boozier is the man.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-05-2008, 10:52 PM
Yeah, I've got to say that this is not at all the thread I was expecting. Which is probably a good thing.

I'll agree with you on that, Billy.

Having said that, I voted for Brand. It is unfortunate that he is out injured this year, but I think his game is more complete that Carlos's. Of course, I don't see either of them play very often, like maybe 5 or 10 minutes of TV time each year, so I'm just guessing.

I remember thinking when Elton was playing in the Blue/White game his freshman year: boy, he sure looks like Willis Reed. Glad he could play like him too!

dukeENG2003
02-06-2008, 08:18 AM
I voted Brand for his defense.

Clipsfan
02-06-2008, 09:32 AM
Carlos' team won gold last year under Coach K in the world championships. Brand's lost a few years ago.

Los likely remains an elite pf in the next 7-8 years - not sure Brand does. Let's count all-star appearances in a few years and compare.

Last year, Booz and Brand were with Stoudemire as the only players in the league to be top 20 in pts, rebs and shoot %.

All you're trying to talk about is performance vs. expectations. Brand's performance is still better, and on a worse team. He has averaged 20/10 over his career, this is only Boozer's second season in that territory. The fact that he was drafted first doesn't make him a worse player. The fact that his teams were worse doesn't make him a worse player. By your seriously flawed reasoning, Daniel Gibson is better than Kevin Garnett because he has had more NBA success (Finals last year) and more college success. I'll still take Garnett over Gibson.

Also, you conveniently don't mention that Brand has averaged over 2 blocks/game as compared to Los' .5/game. Brand is a defensive force as well, Boozer is only an offensive one.

NovaScotian
02-06-2008, 03:17 PM
i would rather date brand, bu thats just me

Classof06
02-06-2008, 03:23 PM
Some would argue Brand may be a better player, but Boozer is one of the top bigs in the NBA and he plays on a team that is a contender. Brand has played for the Clippers where Donald Sterling doesnt give a crap about basketball and if you play in LA and you dont wear the purple and gold, you wont get any attention. This fact has hurt Brand. Boozer is and will be perenial All Star and he deserves it, he is on of the best.

Bingo. I'll co-sign this. Wouldn't be surprised if Elton Brand had a Donald Sterling voodoo doll. Boozer's been blessed with much more talent in the NBA than Brand and that's because they play for two extremely different organizations.

I think it's also important that we consider Brand up until now; you never know how someone will be after tearing their achilles.

dukegirlinsc
02-06-2008, 03:27 PM

i was trying to figure out which one i found more attractive, then i realized i was headed in the wrong direction...thank god. lol.

sandinmyshoes
02-06-2008, 03:30 PM
I think Carlos has proven the better player to this point in the pros, but I always thought Shelden was the most important player on the team in his last two years. I know most fans went the flash and splash of JJ, but Shelden really made our defense click. I can only imagine what it would be like this year to have him prowling the paint to bail out any over-play. A very good and efficient defensive team we see would be a nightmare of other teams with Shelden down there.

superdave
02-06-2008, 04:59 PM
My logic is not flawed - Brand likely peaked as a player in 2006, Boozier continues to improve.

speedevil
02-06-2008, 07:36 PM
My logic is not flawed - Brand likely peaked as a player in 2006, Boozier continues to improve.

your logic is flawed. the poll asked which player is better, not which player is going to be better.

your vote doesnt count since you voted based on which player is going to be better.

Clipsfan
02-06-2008, 08:09 PM

Yes, it is, unless you like the lower numbers you cited (I didn't even mention that you have no idea how to spell his name, but it obviously wasn't a typo as you did it again).

juise
02-06-2008, 08:13 PM
(I didn't even mention that you have no idea how to spell his name, but it obviously wasn't a typo as you did it again).

Whatch you talkiin' 'bout, Willis?

It's French! Say it with me... Booz-ee-yay.

Who's your daddy?! Booz-ee-yay!

speedevil
02-11-2008, 11:36 PM
the public has spoken.

brand is better than boozer.

topps coach
02-12-2008, 04:07 PM
I loved both players when they were at Duke so I do not want to get into this debate, but what they did at Duke is much more important to me.with this disclaimer in mind, due to Elton s limited number of games due to injury I would have to go with Carlos.