PDA

View Full Version : Place to watch in London?

SilkyJ
02-05-2008, 06:36 PM
Buddy of mine is in London and would like to watch the game tmrw but doesn't know how. Anyone with info or suggestions, please pass them along. Thanks!

FreezingDevil
02-05-2008, 06:43 PM
There is an American BBQ place in London's Soho district called Bodean's. While I was living there, this place was a godsend for an American sports fan such as myself. They have tons of tvs, particularly in the basement that always have NASCAR, football, and college bball on. I've attached the link to the restaurant below. Also, I should mention that it is the best BBQ that side of the Atlantic.

http://www.bodeansbbq.com/

cheers

FreezingDevil
02-05-2008, 06:53 PM
Also, I should mention that most places will record the game when it is live because it will be 2am there. They will then show the Duke game the next night (Thursday), probably around 7pm. Its a bummer if you want to watch the game live, but few places will actually show it live at hour. Just something to tell your friend.

SilkyJ
02-05-2008, 07:26 PM
Also, I should mention that most places will record the game when it is live because it will be 2am there. They will then show the Duke game the next night (Thursday), probably around 7pm. Its a bummer if you want to watch the game live, but few places will actually show it live at hour. Just something to tell your friend.

wow, thanks a ton! and even more thanks from my friends I'm sure!

Bluedog
02-05-2008, 08:53 PM
When I studied abroad in London two years ago, I'd frequest The Sports Cafe in Piccadilly Circus on Haymarket Street. I also went to Bodean's BBQ, but the Sports Cafe is open WAY later than Bodean's, so it was the only way I could watch games live. It's open til 4 AM most days (3 AM Wed, Thurs, Sun). Bodean's is open until 11 PM. I watched the entire MLB playoffs at the Sports Cafe since it was the only place in all of London that was open late enough and was showing the games....the games started around 1 AM there. It's overwhelmingly American customers, though. It was the ONLY place in all of London that showed the #1 Duke vs. #2 Texas showdown when JJ erupted for like 41 points (I called at least 15 places). There were seriously at least 100 Duke fans for it, although the football (soccer) fans still outnumbered us as there was a big match right before it. Both Bodean's and the Sports Cafe have NASN (North American Sports Network), but, as I said, Sports Cafe is open much later. If I had a choice of where to go, though, I'd choose Bodean's. Better food - Sports Cafe is also more clubby if you want that. Thursdays at The Sports Cafe are great though b/c they had 10 cents (well 10 pence) wings as well as buckets of Carlsburg for 7 pounds. I believe they still do wing night.

Here's the website:

http://www.thesportscafe.net/locationdetail.cfm?venueID=4

The UNC game is being shown LIVE on NASN starting at 2 AM. Unfortunately, the Sports Cafe closes early at 3 AM on Wed, so won't be able to watch the whole thing unless there are enough Dukies in London to keep the place open. You never know. It's being shown again at 11:00 AM and 6:30 PM on Thurs on NASN in its entirety if your friend misses it live.

Here's the NASN listings:
http://www.nasn.com/content/nasn/portal.nsf/systemcontent/tvschedule?open&dateadjust=1&

Ben63
02-05-2008, 09:05 PM
I'd be willing to bet the game will be on ESPN 360. Might have to rush home to a computer if the above mentioned bar does close at 3AM. Just a thought.

Matt G
02-06-2008, 08:47 AM
hey,

I'm in london too and i've been searching for a place to watch the game live but haven't found one. It is playing at bodeans at 630 pm on thursday night though. Sports cafe is a negative, they aren't showing the game.

ESPN 360 has restricted access from the UK so sadly that's not an option.

Has anyone had better luck on finding a live broadcast?

Carrie
02-06-2008, 09:01 AM
When I studied abroad in London two years ago, I'd frequest The Sports Cafe in Piccadilly Circus on Haymarket Street. I also went to Bodean's BBQ, but the Sports Cafe is open WAY later than Bodean's, so it was the only way I could watch games live. It's open til 4 AM most days (3 AM Wed, Thurs, Sun). Bodean's is open until 11 PM.

Bodean's was started by a KU grad who used to work at Oklahoma Joe's (a very good Kansas City bbq joint). So while they close at 11 technically, I have seen them stay open later, but only for viewings of KU games (it was literally and underground operation -- they cleared out the regular restaurant patrons, and they made all the KU fans go downstairs from the bar to the restaurant since they weren't technically supposed to be open). Fun place, great brisket, but like others mentioned, if you're looking to watch the Duke game live, you're probably SOL there.

Bluedog
02-06-2008, 09:14 AM
hey,
It is playing at bodeans at 630 pm on thursday night though. Sports cafe is a negative, they aren't showing the game.

Really? I find that very hard to believe that they don't have NASN anymore - I don't see why they would have gotten rid of it in the past year. If you ask them if they're showing the Duke-North Carolina game, they will have no idea what you're talking about and probably told you they aren't showing it because they aren't aware of it. Same if you asked for college basketball. If you just ask them if they have the North American Sports Channel, they should be able to tell you, and looking at the NASN listings, the Duke-Carolina game is being shown Wed 2 AM, Thursday 11 AM, and Thurs 6:30 PM, as I said. I guess it's possible they got rid of NASN, but it was mostly American customers as their main source of revenue, so I find that doubtful. But who knows....

Deslok
02-06-2008, 09:48 AM
Really? I find that very hard to believe that they don't have NASN anymore - I don't see why they would have gotten rid of it in the past year. If you ask them if they're showing the Duke-North Carolina game, they will have no idea what you're talking about and probably told you they aren't showing it because they aren't aware of it. Same if you asked for college basketball. If you just ask them if they have the North American Sports Channel, they should be able to tell you, and looking at the NASN listings, the Duke-Carolina game is being shown Wed 2 AM, Thursday 11 AM, and Thurs 6:30 PM, as I said. I guess it's possible they got rid of NASN, but it was mostly American customers as their main source of revenue, so I find that doubtful. But who knows....

I would guess that they aren't showing the game on the big screen or anything, but I'd be very surprised if you couldn't get them to flip one of the TVs in the place over to NASN to show the game. I had to do that a few times in my time in London. Of course, that was 4 years ago or so, so things might have changed...

Uncle Drew
02-06-2008, 10:43 AM
Baby Spice has a satelite dish call her up. And you my call David Beckham to see if he minds using the flat while they are in LA. :p

Matt G
02-06-2008, 02:16 PM
ok i re called sports cafe and they saide that they get the channel and would probs put it on if requested, but they dont open til 11 30. will probably go to bodeans in soho at 630.

Matt G
02-06-2008, 02:17 PM
have to change my homepage from dbr now i guess