PDA

View Full Version : Emotion or Composure??

Sir Stealth
02-04-2008, 09:22 PM
I think it's very interesting the way players and fans seem to be of two schools of thought when approaching big games like this. One seems to be that the team that brings the most intensity will rise to a higher level and prevail. On the other hand, some seem to think that a team that best maintains its composure and treats a big game like any other will be in a better condition to execute and win.

This seems particularly true in this game because of the reactions to the Henderson foul. The first thing that many Duke fans felt watching G exit from a hateful Dean Dome (absurd high-fiving male cheerleaders and all) was a hope that G would come back to achieve greatness by torching Carolina in front of its fans in a glorious performance of on court revenge. Others might be hoping that G can tune out the reaction that he is going to get as much as possible.

I would definitely place myself in the first group of fans. My ideal game would be one in which G makes his legend by using what happened last year to play at his highest level in the most hostile environment. It seems like this is what other all time greats such as Bird or Jordan (Laettner? Redick?) would do and what largely fed their greatness. For the whole team, I always look for a killer instinct and a swagger (without being unsportsmanlike or arrogant) that makes the idea of losing unthinkable.

The team seems to take the second approach. Everything that G says suggests that he will try to play while tuning out the boos, allowing him to be Gerald Henderson as his normal, steady, effective self. The team always says that they try to approach the UNC game like any other game (downplaying any negative emotions that fans feel against the Tar Heels) and seems to focus on composure in allowing them to play their best.

So which is it? Is it best to tune out the emotional factors of a rivalry game, or do the great players and teams feed off the extra emotion that allows them to reach a higher level - a level necessary to prevail in big games against other great teams?

captmojo
02-04-2008, 09:34 PM
Tune it out and focus on the job at hand.

jzp5079
02-05-2008, 12:49 AM
Its called EMOSURE

gadzooks
02-05-2008, 11:15 AM
I think it's a little of both; emotion is good, but in moderation. I want to see the players feel the intensity of the game while maintaining enough emotional control to not do stupid things.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-05-2008, 11:19 AM
I think it's a little of both; emotion is good, but in moderation. I want to see the players feel the intensity of the game while maintaining enough emotional control to not do stupid things.

The will to win, but not desperation nor panic. Emotion, intensity, determination and composure are what's needed. Our guys have it all in spades this year!

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-05-2008, 11:22 AM
I just caught the end of this conversation. Are you talking about Eli Manning?

On a more serious note, Eli does embody the sort of even temper with intensity that is likely to win tough games like the one tomorrow night.