PDA

View Full Version : G and Hansbrough played together this past summer...

Madrasdukie
02-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Whad 'ya know? Whad 'ya hear? A balanced article with that small piece of info. that may stench some of the bad blood.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/ncaa/02/04/henderson.foul.lingers.ap/index.html

Quote from above article:

Henderson said his relationship with Hansbrough is fine, noting that the two played in several pickup games -- sometimes on the same team -- over the summer.

SMO
02-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Whad 'ya know? Whad 'ya hear? A balanced article with that small piece of info. that may stench some of the bad blood.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/ncaa/02/04/henderson.foul.lingers.ap/index.html

Quote from above article:

Henderson said his relationship with Hansbrough is fine, noting that the two played in several pickup games -- sometimes on the same team -- over the summer.

I think the bad blood and revenge angles will be pushed only by the media and fans. As a player, if you get focused on these things there's as a good a chance that it will distract you from the game as it will help you win.

pamtar
02-04-2008, 07:51 PM
I think the bad blood and revenge angles will be pushed only by the media and fans.

Or the coach:

"In a teleconference last week, however, coach Roy Williams noted that Hansbrough "was the victim" in the incident."

What a tewel.

Madrasdukie
02-04-2008, 07:53 PM
I think the bad blood and revenge angles will be pushed only by the media and fans. As a player, if you get focused on these things there's as a good a chance that it will distract you from the game as it will help you win.

True. That was my hope, that it may help stench the bad blood felt by UNC fans (and others of the same ilk) when they realize how these two players got along over the summer.

weezie
02-04-2008, 07:53 PM
Good old Roy...Hansbore as "victim." What a weasely pinhead our Roy is. A true jerk.

Good grief , do I hate that midget.

Hey, Tbangs, for once in your life, step up and do the right thing. Tell the reporters to let it go.

freedevil
02-04-2008, 08:03 PM
In support of Roy's position (I'm practically vomiting while I type this), that "victim" line is a not-so-veiled dig at K for his post-game comments from last year. Personally, I think those post-game comments were pretty bad (either in unintentionally saying pretty bone-headed things or in purposefully choosing to express what were pretty bone-headed things).

Either way, UNC fans need to get over it. It's clear to me that the Hansbrough and company are much more worried about more important things, i.e. beating Duke and winning a national championship.

sandinmyshoes
02-04-2008, 08:56 PM
I don't think Roy Williams just spontaneously spouted that line. Some of you on this thread, and some of the others, are acting JUST LIKE IC POSTERS!

Of course, this week being what this week is, a little loosening of civility is probably in order. :cool:

wumhenry
02-05-2008, 12:18 PM
Or the coach:

"In a teleconference last week, however, coach Roy Williams noted that Hansbrough "was the victim" in the incident."

What a tewel.

Calling someone a "victim" doesn't necessarily mean that an injury was inflicted deliberately. If somebody is injured in a car wreck, for instance, we wouldn't hesitate to call him an "accident victim" even if we don't know whether someone else was at fault, let alone whether someone else deliberately caused the wreck. By the same token, if one bb player breaks another's nose while they're fighting for a rebound it's apt to say that the guy who sustained the injury was a victim of the encounter, whether or not the injury was intentionally inflicted.

wumhenry
02-05-2008, 12:20 PM
In support of Roy's position (I'm practically vomiting while I type this), that "victim" line is a not-so-veiled dig at K for his post-game comments from last year. Personally, I think those post-game comments were pretty bad (either in unintentionally saying pretty bone-headed things or in purposefully choosing to express what were pretty bone-headed things).

I missed that. What did K say?

dukegirlinsc
02-05-2008, 12:24 PM
What a tewel.

hahaha. tewel.

dukegirlinsc
02-05-2008, 12:25 PM
Good old Roy...Hansbore as "victim." What a weasely pinhead our Roy is. A true jerk.

Hey, Tbangs, for once in your life, step up and do the right thing. Tell the reporters to let it go.

AMENNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-05-2008, 01:02 PM

The lead article on the WS Journal's Sports section today features the following headline:
Hansbrough: Henderson incident old news. Hansbrough was quoted as saying "It's over. It's been a while back now. It's a new year." "I just don't want this whole game to be focused on that one nose incident."

The people who keep this issue hot are the media and fans of both teams who won't let go. (Before some attack this comment, remember that I blew the top off the scale for Duke connections and Duke loyalty.) I fully expect some aspect of this lingering issue to be available in a search on snopes.com.

Now let's get back to collecting firewood for the bonfire!

OldPhiKap
02-05-2008, 01:14 PM

Speaking of bonfires, remember that one in Lawrenceville a few years ago when Roy said he would never leave Kansas? Good times.

GTHC, GTH {clap}{clap}

weezie
02-05-2008, 02:51 PM
The lead article on the WS Journal's Sports section today features the following headline:
Hansbrough: Henderson incident old news. Hansbrough was quoted as saying "It's over. It's been a while back now. It's a new year." "I just don't want this whole game to be focused on that one nose incident."

The people who keep this issue hot are the media and fans of both teams who won't let go. (Before some attack this comment, remember that I blew the top off the scale for Duke connections and Duke loyalty.) I fully expect some aspect of this lingering issue to be available in a search on snopes.com.

Well, whaddya know. I guess TBangs likes me!

chuckywang
02-05-2008, 03:01 PM
Tar Heel fans will cling to anything for a reason to bash Duke. ANYTHING.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-05-2008, 03:54 PM
Speaking of bonfires, remember that one in Lawrenceville a few years ago when Roy said he would never leave Kansas? Good times.

GTHC, GTH {clap}{clap}
Actually I was reminded of the bonfires that used to be made in each fall before the football game with Carolina. They didn't involve benches. It was the responsibility of the president of the Trinity freshman class to see to the gathering of the wood. (That was when Trinity was all men.)

wumhenry
02-05-2008, 04:02 PM

Gee, you'd almost think he's a good sport!
Somebody please remind me why it's de rigeur in DBR to refer to Hansbrough with dismissive apellations ("Hansblah", etc.) implying that he's a schmuck. Yeah, I know he plays for UNC and we're Duke fans, but is that a good-enough reason to reflexively diss a great basketball player?

Indoor66
02-05-2008, 04:08 PM
Somebody please remind me why it's de rigeur in DBR to refer to Hansbrough with dismissive apellations ("Hansblah", etc.) implying that he's a schmuck. Yeah, I know he plays for UNC and we're Duke fans, but is that a good-enough reason to reflexively diss a great basketball player?

Actually, it is. :)

devildeac
02-05-2008, 04:33 PM

It most certainly is(rats, Indoor 66 just beat me to this).

Indoor66
02-05-2008, 05:29 PM
It most certainly is(rats, Indoor 66 just beat me to this).

No big hops here, but, sneaky quick. :D

wumhenry
02-05-2008, 06:28 PM
Duly noted: no dispute with "great basketball player" and no reason given for hating the guy aside from the fact he suits up in Carolina blue.

devildeac
02-05-2008, 09:45 PM
No big hops here, but, sneaky quick. :D

You want hops, go to the 'ymm, beer' thread. How's your 'upside'? I am guessing that by your screen name, you have used up all your eligibility:)

ArtVandelay
02-05-2008, 11:51 PM

I don't think these comments are particularly mean-spirited, to be honest. Nothing like, say, referring to K as "Rat" at all times, a la Carolina fans. The trend caught on, I presume, because his name is sort of long to type out and often misspelled. After a point, my impression is that it's become a "thing" more than anything else - a running joke. Inserting a verb that reflects on his game tendencies (e.g. travel, foul, etc.) has taken this to a new level. I don't think many people dispute that he's a great player. However, being the best player on the rival team IS a good enough reason, in my view, to rightfully provoke the ire of the opposing fan base, and I see nothing particularly unfair or "dismissive" in the various Hanslabels being thrown around.

Heelkiller1
02-06-2008, 12:16 AM
Tar Heel fans will cling to anything for a reason to bash Duke. ANYTHING.

You sure do got that right ,thats why Caroline fans are so hard to get along with ,there always has to be drama .One of my friends once blamed the air conditioning and kept calling Duke cheap and cheaters ,saying nothing about how we whipped that tail .GTHC GTH :)

mus074
02-06-2008, 03:38 AM
Duly noted: no dispute with "great basketball player" and no reason given for hating the guy aside from the fact he suits up in Carolina blue.

I think most people would agree he is a great player. He is among the top two candidates for POY. He may even pass JJ for all time NCAA scoring.

That said, no one said anything to imply they hated him. A continued play on a name is not hatred but good natured ribbing. Like Brenda Haywood or Lurch Montross or McWont or J.R. "can't" Reid. There are lots of examples. He's not that special in that regard.

I think your drastic oversimplification and provocative posts indicate you, my friend, are either 8 years old or a troll. Or both. (And that's not hating, either.)

RelativeWays
02-06-2008, 08:32 AM
Lets not forget that UNC fans can't be bothered to spell Duke correctly and see it as the pinnacle of insults. Hansbeaker is getting his just desserts. At least we haven't stooped to player insults that involve sexual persuasion. Congratulations, you insinuated a Duke player is gay by making a play on his name. You have all of the wit of a 12 year old on Xbox live.

TillyGalore
02-06-2008, 10:38 AM
Here is a pretty good article about the Henderson/Hansblah forearm/nose interaction and how both are looking at tonight's game.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/unc/story/926671.html

Madrasdukie
02-06-2008, 02:22 PM
Here is a pretty good article about the Henderson/Hansblah forearm/nose interaction and how both are looking at tonight's game.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/unc/story/926671.html

That was a very nice article, indeed. Thanks.