PDA

View Full Version : Wilbon: Eli to Tyree like Grant to Christian

sagegrouse
02-04-2008, 06:22 PM
Michael Wilbon made the comparison just now on PTI, the reason being that it was a two part challenge: the throw was tough and the shot/catch was tough.

sagegrouse

CameronBlue
02-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Man, I love these sorts of comparisons. Somewhere inside a temperature-controlled guarded, locked vault there's a bell jar protecting a photographic negative of Christian catching Grant's pass. It's the Gold Standard against which great sports feats are measured.

I absolutely frickin love it.

DangerDevil
02-04-2008, 06:37 PM
This afternoon Mike of WFAN's Mike and the Mad Dog compared the Giants upset over the Pats to Duke's upset of UNLV in 91.

rthomas
02-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Actually, Grant was more under control than Eli, made a better pass, and Laettner made a clean catch and didn't need his helmet to balance it on.

Overall, Duke > Giants.

jma4life
02-04-2008, 07:13 PM
They're similar in that regard but they're different in that Eli's was an improvisation whereas Duke's was planned, practiced and even attempted in game before.

wilson
02-04-2008, 08:17 PM
Also different in that Duke played the role of the Patriots in '92...heavy favorites, seeking to return to the promised land, etc.
Quite an interesting comparison, because on closer examination, there are numerous layers of similarities and reversals.

NovaScotian
02-04-2008, 09:02 PM
Actually, Grant was more under control than Eli, made a better pass, and Laettner made a clean catch and didn't need his helmet to balance it on.

Overall, Duke > Giants.

i think that makes the giants play better, actually...

rthomas
02-04-2008, 09:11 PM
i think that makes the giants play better, actually...

Better?

DoubleDuke Dad
02-04-2008, 10:53 PM

Overall, Duke > Giants.
However Laettner wasn't being tackled when he made the catch!

devildeac
02-04-2008, 11:18 PM

Nor did he have a helmet on:)

rthomas
02-05-2008, 07:36 AM

Laettner was tackled after he made the shot.:)

duke74
02-05-2008, 09:27 AM

Nor did Grant have to break free from 3 UK defenders trying to tackle him as the play developed. That's what makes this play as great as it was. While it, by itself, did not win the game (a la Duke's), the effort by Eli coupled with the incredible catch by Tyree against his helmet (someone said that he must have had velcro on it), and then retaining possession when hitting the ground (albeit cushioned by Harrison's body), makes this IMHO one of the greatest sports (not just superbowl) plays ever.

RP_McMurphy
02-05-2008, 11:26 AM
He had a free baseline to roam and no one was guarding him.

mr. synellinden
02-05-2008, 12:05 PM
Laettner still had to come down, dribble, spin and MAKE THE SHOT - all in less than 2.1 seconds.

billybreen
02-05-2008, 12:10 PM
It wasn't the scoring play that decided the game, so I don't think there's any comparison.

mr. synellinden
02-05-2008, 12:11 PM
That's why to me it was more analagous to Hurley's three pointer against UNLV to cut it from 5 to 2 with 2:16 left.

duke74
02-05-2008, 12:35 PM
It wasn't the scoring play that decided the game, so I don't think there's any comparison.

Agree, but without that play we probably don't get to witness the pass to Plax.

KBCrazie
02-05-2008, 01:34 PM

If you just isolate the pass element of each play, which was only a part of the overall play and neither of which directly resulted in a score (remember, Laettner had to convert the bucket) I think there's a great comparison.

rthomas
02-05-2008, 02:32 PM
The Grant Hill / Laettner play was arguably the best play ever made in college basketball history.

The Eli / Tyree throw/catch was not even close to being the best play in superbowl history.

mr. synellinden
02-05-2008, 02:38 PM
The Eli / Tyree throw/catch was not even close to being the best play in superbowl history.

I think there is a strong argument that it was. The only play I can think of that might be a better pure play was Lynn Swan's tumbling catch against Dallas in Super Bowl X. Marcus Allen's run against the Redskins comes to mind as well.

But in terms of difficulty, athletic skill required (on both ends of the play) and significance to the outcome of the game, I would argue that it was the greatest play in Super Bowl history.

rthomas
02-05-2008, 02:50 PM
The only play I can think of that might be a better pure play was Lynn Swan's tumbling catch against Dallas in Super Bowl X.

Correct answer!

duke74
02-05-2008, 03:05 PM
I think there is a strong argument that it was. The only play I can think of that might be a better pure play was Lynn Swan's tumbling catch against Dallas in Super Bowl X. Marcus Allen's run against the Redskins comes to mind as well.

But in terms of difficulty, athletic skill required (on both ends of the play) and significance to the outcome of the game, I would argue that it was the greatest play in Super Bowl history.

So would I....

BD80
02-05-2008, 03:38 PM
I am a huge Steeler fan. I was one of the 50,000 in attendance at the immaculate reception (and one of 500,000 who claim to have been there).

As much as I hate to admit it, Tyree's catch was at least on a par with Swann's. He was being bent in half backwards as he caught it. The play Manning made to get rid of the ball makes the play the best ever in the Super Bowl.