PDA

View Full Version : Game superstition

DukeDevil
02-04-2008, 02:08 PM
So...I was thinking of driving down to DC from up here in Baltimore to watch the game with everyone, but 2 things worry me.

1) I've watched all the games from the same spot since Pitt (which I watched at the Greene Turtle here in Baltimore...please avoid if you are a Duke fan wanting to watch a game) and every time I stepped away from that chair for whatever reason, the game started to go south. See: first half against MD, 1st half again V-Tech (I think...weren't we down by 9 in the first half?). Anyway, point being, I worry leaving the chair and the "lucky sitting position (don't laugh, I'm sure plenty of you have things like this) will be bad karma.

2) I worry that if things do go south, and I've got to drive an hour and change back to Baltimore...that's a long drive to contemplate life.

Any thoughts?

Also, post your own superstitious things here, what do you all do/wear/say during Duke basketball games?

weezie
02-04-2008, 02:59 PM
In addition to my Adidas Duke blue suede game shoes, I wear my 1991, NCAA midwest regional sweatshirt featuring Duke, UConn, Ohio State and St John's.
If we are behind at the half I switch seats with the spouse.

As to driving down to DC, I think you'll be ok. Isn't it better to combine your powers with other Dukies for a more potent force field? If you are still hesitant, stay in Baltimore and try the experiment another time.

I feel your anxiety!

SilkyJ
02-04-2008, 03:15 PM
Prior to Pitt I wore my Golden State Warriors Mike Dunleavy, Jr. jersey. After the Pitt game, I traveled home the next day for xmas and while xmas shopping I bought a #4 Boozer Duke jersey that was actually a 1963 throwback (meaning same style as the 1963 jerseys) i have worn that every game since...and will not change unless the status quo does.

Ima Facultiwyfe
02-04-2008, 03:55 PM
"Also, post your own superstitious things here, what do you all do/wear/say during Duke basketball games?"

So I try very hard never to do/wear the same thing twice!:o
Love, Ima

MChambers
02-04-2008, 04:20 PM
So...I was thinking of driving down to DC from up here in Baltimore to watch the game with everyone, but 2 things worry me.

1) I've watched all the games from the same spot since Pitt (which I watched at the Greene Turtle here in Baltimore...please avoid if you are a Duke fan wanting to watch a game) and every time I stepped away from that chair for whatever reason, the game started to go south. See: first half against MD, 1st half again V-Tech (I think...weren't we down by 9 in the first half?). Anyway, point being, I worry leaving the chair and the "lucky sitting position (don't laugh, I'm sure plenty of you have things like this) will be bad karma.

2) I worry that if things do go south, and I've got to drive an hour and change back to Baltimore...that's a long drive to contemplate life.

Any thoughts?

Also, post your own superstitious things here, what do you all do/wear/say during Duke basketball games?

Definitely bad karma. In the extremely unlikely event Duke loses, we would blame you! Don't take it personally.

DukeDevil
02-04-2008, 04:27 PM
Definitely bad karma. In the extremely unlikely event Duke loses, we would blame you! Don't take it personally.

My issue is that, if we win, awesome. If we lose and I'm away, will I think that caused it?

You may laugh at my superstitious nature, but we had a ridiculously complex and involved ritual involving a mini-basketball during the 2000/2001 season regarding free throws, 3 pt shots, defense, etc. Seriously, every aspect of the game was involved. We even had a DUMB member sneak it into cameron inside a tuba because they wouldn't let us carry it in.

And we all know what happened that year. I think I ended up giving it to mike dunleavy at the end of the season.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-04-2008, 04:38 PM
"Also, post your own superstitious things here, what do you all do/wear/say during Duke basketball games?"

So I try very hard never to do/wear the same thing twice!:o
Love, Ima

You're a lucky woman, Ima, to have such a large wardrobe!

Ima Facultiwyfe
02-05-2008, 05:00 PM
I guess I have to admit that although I work hard at having no superstitions, I have returned of late to my old habit of taking a deep breath, letting it out slowly, and relaxing my shoulders in preparation for each free throw. If I forget...and it's missed...it's not our guy's fault, bless his heart...it's mine. It's the least I can do.

Love, Ima

TillyGalore
02-05-2008, 05:06 PM
Every year I try to figure out what superstition is working for me. Haven't been able to find one this year. I thought knitting during a game would be it, but we've won the last two games without me knitting.

The only thing that seems to separate the Pitt game from all the rest for me is that I was at my parents house in Maryland for the Pitt game. I WILL NOT be there at all tomorrow night and have no plans to visit my parents until May. But I still love them. Am kind of hoping they don't plan to come see me before April 7th as don't want the jinx to work in reverse.

Got_Duke
02-05-2008, 05:06 PM
I make sure I always wear my authentic, black Duke Big Ten/ACC challenge jersey and I also make sure I'm sitting no further than 3 feet from the TV itself. At halftime, I always eat NC-style BBQ with my dad, brother, and friend. Seems to somehow supplant us into Cameron Indoor, eating their great BBQ sandwiches.

TillyGalore
02-05-2008, 05:09 PM
You may laugh at my superstitious nature, but we had a ridiculously complex and involved ritual involving a mini-basketball during the 2000/2001 season regarding free throws, 3 pt shots, defense, etc. Seriously, every aspect of the game was involved. We even had a DUMB member sneak it into cameron inside a tuba because they wouldn't let us carry it in.

And we all know what happened that year. I think I ended up giving it to mike dunleavy at the end of the season.

I would never laugh at someone else's superstition.

As for tomorrow night, let me borrow from Bull Durham, you have to "respect the streak." Don't mess with your streak!

Ben63
02-05-2008, 06:07 PM
I cannot sit down when we are losing. Also included in my superstition list is:

Yelling expletives at the TV
Wearing something Duke (hat, tshirt, jersey, pants, slippers, etc.)
Not eating during games(except if watching at bar/restaraunt)

Also I'll take the blame for the Pitt loss because I saw Pitt in person v Oklahoma State the Saturday before. I wont watch another team in person if Duke plays them.

I should stop attending games in general because the one game I went to they won, but didnt win another that season. (St. Johns 06-07)

Ben63

watzone
02-05-2008, 06:23 PM
Mine is all about the environment. I don't buy into the certain shirt thing and such. However, say you are somewhere where a lot of people are mingling for the big game and there is just one Carolina fan in the bunch. Errrrrrr! Or you go to a bar and a fellow fan comes in and says "that's alright, we'll come back and kill them," and right after his mouths shut the other team dunks or steals the ball, or the kind. Errrrr!

Nothing is worse than being in someones home and an unassuming spouse comes home, or a neighbor and they ask "whats going on?" "Oh, I didn't know there was a game, who is winning?". And it's always when nobody wants to talk about it. The timing!!! Okay, so thats a little different, but you get my drift on away games and the environment.

I was at a guys house for a couple of games and everytime his wife would walk into or through the room there would be a turnover or a sudden comeback or major disasters like eight point swings when she lingered. This went on for like four games and was hard to ignore. The solution? He made his wife stay in the kitchen or bedroom and she could only walk through during commercials. LOL! Some people are just hexed from the word go:) She would stand back there and utter, "Can I just ask you something?" There would be a sudden turnover and the answer of six guys in unison, "NO!"

Poor woman;)

So! Be careful where you go and for gosh sakes bolt the door shut during the Duke-UNC game. You never know what unfortunate soul will be blamed for a shift in the basketball gods universe.

Lord Ash
02-05-2008, 06:40 PM
Kiss the ring before tip, and again at halftime.

rsvman
02-05-2008, 06:44 PM
I wear my "Simple Math" t-shirt. It doesn't have a perfect record, but it's pretty darn good.

dukediv2013
02-05-2008, 07:54 PM
I am having ACL surgery tomorrow at 1 pm. My doctor is a Duke grad and assures me that I will be able to watch the game tomorrow evening. I am nervous though that I will be asleep... any thoughts about what I should do? (Other than DVR?)

Thanks!

dukegirlinsc
02-05-2008, 07:56 PM
the only game i missed watching live this year, was the pitt game.

enough said.

wilson
02-05-2008, 09:33 PM
I definitely change shirts/hats/seats/something when things aren't going well.
I'll be watching tomorrow with a big crew of my Duke buddies for the first time since we were all actually in school. I'm actually rather excited about it...virtually no chance of making a fool of myself!

GO TO HELL, CAROLINA, GO TO HELL!

DukeFan
02-05-2008, 09:58 PM
Same cut-off Duke T-Shirt each game...Same color authentic shorts that the team is wearing that game.

freedevil
02-05-2008, 10:01 PM
I have to find at least one diehard UNC fan and tell them that they really are suuuuuuuuuuch a talented team, I just don't know how Duke will compete. Then I have to wear my grade-A s**t-eating grin. :D

Channing
02-05-2008, 10:11 PM
When things go down hill during a game I generally ignore the Snrub chat and start doing situps.

As for game to game rituals- they typically include pacing nervously and drinking a cup of chocolate milk

jhole
02-05-2008, 10:28 PM
1. Never watch game the game with a Carolina fan

My Carolina grad brother-in-law living 2 miles away with a 20" TV asked on Sunday if he and his son (my 12 year old nephew) could come over and watch on my Home Theater (92" High Def) and I said absolutely not! My wife attempted to intervene, but rules are rules.

2. Keep Duke floor nearby but only use judiciously

My piece of the old Cameron floor is only used in very dire and measured situations, so as to maintain it's power. Ie. Pittsburgh would not have been appropriate use. Best use is standing in front of screen and slapping floor on critical defensive stands.

3. If game is critically close at end, call Duke buddy and stay online til end

This has helped to save many games over the years, but again must be used sparingly. In our case, cell works best so as not to wake the wives during late start games.

4. In unlikely event that Carolina wins, immediately take phones off-hook

..and turn cell phone off. Amazing how many Carolina fans want to call me during these times, nevermind that we haven't spoken in a year. Do I take the time to call my closest Carolina friends when Duke wins? Of course not, and it just burns them up waiting for me to call, having their comebacks all prepared, rehearsed, and ready, and then not getting to use it. Most of the time they call me to ask why I haven't called.

devildeac
02-05-2008, 11:16 PM
I am having ACL surgery tomorrow at 1 pm. My doctor is a Duke grad and assures me that I will be able to watch the game tomorrow evening. I am nervous though that I will be asleep... any thoughts about what I should do? (Other than DVR?)

Thanks!

Avoid the narcotics until AFTER the game(and don't believe ANYTHING EarlJam might tell you to the contrary;) )

wilson
02-05-2008, 11:21 PM

Thanks!

Amputate. Risk this one? What kind of fan are you?

devildeac
02-05-2008, 11:43 PM
1. Never watch game the game with a Carolina fan

My Carolina grad brother-in-law living 2 miles away with a 20" TV asked on Sunday if he and his son (my 12 year old nephew) could come over and watch on my Home Theater (92" High Def) and I said absolutely not! My wife attempted to intervene, but rules are rules.

2. Keep Duke floor nearby but only use judiciously

My piece of the old Cameron floor is only used in very dire and measured situations, so as to maintain it's power. Ie. Pittsburgh would not have been appropriate use. Best use is standing in front of screen and slapping floor on critical defensive stands.

3. If game is critically close at end, call Duke buddy and stay online til end

This has helped to save many games over the years, but again must be used sparingly. In our case, cell works best so as not to wake the wives during late start games.

4. In unlikely event that Carolina wins, immediately take phones off-hook

..and turn cell phone off. Amazing how many Carolina fans want to call me during these times, nevermind that we haven't spoken in a year. Do I take the time to call my closest Carolina friends when Duke wins? Of course not, and it just burns them up waiting for me to call, having their comebacks all prepared, rehearsed, and ready, and then not getting to use it. Most of the time they call me to ask why I haven't called.

"closest carolina friends"- I can't believe that made it through the censors/filters on the board. Sheesh.

Heelkiller1
02-06-2008, 12:07 AM
1.I never watch with a tarhole fan
2.close all the windows
3.lock all the doors
4.take the phone off the hook
5.never sit down
6.slap my floor when we need a big stop

GO DUKE

TillyGalore
02-06-2008, 09:04 AM
On further reflection, I will be knitting during the game as Duke has not lost when I knit. In fact, they've come back from behind a couple of times.

Bostondevil, will you be knitting as well? Or perhaps tonight is the night to rub your youngest's bum on the tv. :D

watzone
02-06-2008, 07:38 PM
OMG! ALERT!!!

So, I am sitting here when all of a sudden a stange twelve year old walks into the house. "He wanted the watch the game here," said me housemate.

Whatttt the!!!! Is this the karma curse? "You wouldn't deprive a 12 year old from watching the Duke-Carolina game would you,? said HM. "You bet your sweet bippy I would," I said.

It turns out she knows his Mom and somehow this unexpected scenario happened. Now, if you read my prior post you will understand the paranoia.

So, what do I do? I mean how can I get my mojo and be in my element with a friggin strange 12 year old in the room? Can you feel my fear?

I need suggestions quick!

Do I -

- leave the big TV, bilt myself in the bedroom with the smal tube and claim to be sick?

- do I get up and run as fast as I can to another destination , such as a friends?

- do I spike their milk? kidding ... sorta

Help!!!!!!!!!!

Ima Facultiwyfe
02-06-2008, 07:50 PM
OMG! ALERT!!!

So, I am sitting here when all of a sudden a stange twelve year old walks into the house. "He wanted the watch the game here," said me housemate.

Whatttt the!!!! Is this the karma curse? "You wouldn't deprive a 12 year old from watching the Duke-Carolina game would you,? said HM. "You bet your sweet bippy I would," I said.

It turns out she knows his Mom and somehow this unexpected scenario happened. Now, if you read my prior post you will understand the paranoia.

So, what do I do? I mean how can I get my mojo and be in my element with a friggin strange 12 year old in the room? Can you feel my fear?

I need suggestions quick!
Do I -

- leave the big TV, bilt myself in the bedroom with the smal tube and claim to be sick?

- do I get up and run as fast as I can to another destination , such as a friends?

Help!!!!!!!!!!

Great opportunity to bend the twig so the tree's inclined. Show him the fun of being a Duke man! (He can also be used to make runs for beer, bless his heart!)
Love, Ima

Lavabe
02-06-2008, 08:01 PM
Given our record with 17 pt leads, I suddenly have the urge to go to the bathroom whenever we get to that mark.

I turn on the snrubchat.

I cannot watch a game with my wife. I watch upstairs, and she watches downstairs.

And above all...

... I don't tell anyone about my superstitions.

Whoops!
Lavabe

watzone
02-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Great opportunity to bend the twig so the tree's inclined. Show him the fun of being a Duke man! (He can also be used to make runs for beer, bless his heart!)
Love, Ima

This isn't good;) As I surfed away I thought to myself, somebody is going to tell me to take the high road and make the young man a Duke man!

I will take that road if I have to, but first of all I have to go send some smoke signals in an attempt to sway the basketball gods.

TexasDevil
02-06-2008, 08:42 PM
I have to make sure our whole apartment is clean and everything on the table (drinks, remote, etc.) are in particular spots. My husband thinks I am neurotic, but hey, it works much more often than not. (I also scream at the tv and move around the entire time to get out my excess energy!)
My dad takes the opposite approach and doesn't wash his Duke sweats he walks the dog in unless/until Duke loses.

jzp5079
02-06-2008, 11:06 PM
a unc grad just told me he had a theory that in all UNC games, the first team to reach 70 wins.

I don't believe it, but I don't want to do the research. anyone want to do some for me?

NashvilleDevil
02-07-2008, 12:34 AM
My Dad went to grad school at Duke and he passed the love of Duke basketball on to me. I only have a couple of superstitions and routines during games.

1. I always wear something with Duke blue it can be a Duke t-shirt or just a blue shirt.

2. I never sit except for timeouts. I stand about 3 or 4 feet from the TV with my arms crossed. I also do a lot of pacing when the game is tight.

3. Always talk to Dad at halftime and then right after the game.

4. When my wife is not in the house I cuss and yell like I am back in the Army.

This has become my routine after close to 25 years of being a Duke fan.

I love this team, they are so tough and anyone can step up when they need a score. Cannot wait to see what the rest of the season brings.

newBlue23
02-13-2008, 06:30 PM
I have a set of strict rules for all Duke games:
1. If duke makes even the slightest run i will freeze my position until the next commercial break. I also require all others in the room to do the same.
2. If duke goes down, then i must adjust my position until it stops.
3. People may not enter the room during a run because they might throw of the mojo.
4. I have even gone as far as have a person poke me in the side for fifteen minutes straight just because they poked me when duke started at run.

2535Miles
02-19-2008, 05:59 PM
1. In the closing seconds of the East Regionals versus Kentucky, my brother remarked to the family something to the effect of "it's over, there's no way they can do it." Seconds later, my entire family is screaming at the top of their lungs and the rest is history. Whenever Duke is in a nail biter, we'll call my brother and ask him to repeat his famous last words.

2. There is NO, absolutely NO SPEAKING during game play. Lack of focus leads to mistakes!

3. I try to refrain from drinking during Duke games. However, if things get heated I take a shot of vodka from a Duke shot glass. If things go really bad, I'm blind drunk by the end of the game and things don't seem to matter as much anymore. At least that's the theory; in practice it's a whole other story.

SilkyJ
02-19-2008, 06:13 PM
"closest carolina friends"- I can't believe that made it through the censors/filters on the board. Sheesh.

BAHAHAHA. potd.

6.slap my floor when we need a big stop

me too, yo. me too.

Bahahahaha (again). poty!

a unc grad just told me he had a theory that in all UNC games, the first team to reach 70 wins.

I don't believe it, but I don't want to do the research. anyone want to do some for me?

*sigh* really? the first team to 70 probably wins most games for any team. If you get to 70 first, it means you are winning at the time, and "the time" is probably late in the game since 70 is significant amount of points to score. So yea, if you are winning late in the game, then usually you are going to win the game.

2. There is NO, absolutely NO SPEAKING during game play. Lack of focus leads to mistakes!

I know. having to repeat this to people during games is aggravating...even if I watch 90% of games on DVR now (west coast)

3. I try to refrain from drinking during Duke games. However, if things get heated I take a shot of vodka from a Duke shot glass. If things go really bad, I'm blind drunk by the end of the game and things don't seem to matter as much anymore. At least that's the theory; in practice it's a whole other story.

Have we met?

(btw, I'm guessing ur in LA given ur handle and the fact that google maps lists LA as 2519 miles from Durham? am i right?)

2535Miles
02-19-2008, 06:27 PM
Have we met?

Nope. At least I don't think so.

(btw, I'm guessing ur in LA given ur handle and the fact that google maps lists LA as 2519 miles from Durham? am i right?)
Close! I'm in Torrance, only 2535 miles from Cameron. :(

-jk
02-19-2008, 06:54 PM
Nope. At least I don't think so.

Close! I'm in Torrance, only 2535 miles from Cameron. :(

I spent a year or so working in Torrance. (What a cesspool!) Gotta keep the faith, though, wherever you are!

-jk

2535Miles
02-19-2008, 07:03 PM
I spent a year or so working in Torrance. (What a cesspool!) Gotta keep the faith, though, wherever you are!

-jk

Torrance isn't that bad. It's definitely not my favorite place but I usually tell people I live right next to Redondo Beach instead. I'm closer to Redondo than I am to the rest of Torrance anyway.:D

DukeDevil
02-21-2008, 11:35 AM
So I wanted to bring this back to up address an actual issue. There are now 3 games this season which I have not sat in my lucky chair/with lucky shorts/lucky shirt/lucky socks/lucky position. You can guess the 3.

What the hell do I do? I would have been ready to go yesterday but I couldn't watch the game at home as it was being undercut by the maryland/VT game, so I went to ESPNzone to watch.

I was really hoping to watch the Carolina game in DC. I was initially thinking the wake game would prove the superstition wrong and I'd be able to do without it this season, then I hoped Miami would prove it wrong because I was forced to watch it elsewhere.

Do I a) go to DC with said attire and hope they'll let me bring in my lucky chair or b) suck it up and watch it at home?

I'm only kidding. Sorta. i know in my head that this has so influence...but I can't quite get myself to believe it.

TillyGalore
02-21-2008, 11:50 AM
My knitting is not helping. Course I finished the project I'd been working one when we were winning. Think I'll refrain from knitting during Saturday's game. Also, have learned that wearing Duke stuff maked them play poorly, so I'd take my Duke stuff off and they would win. Not wearing Duke stuff is making them worse, will start wearing Duke stuff. Is this sort of like reverse psychology, or is it just reversing a superstition?

2535Miles, I thought that was the number of miles you've run or walked as your avatar looks like a pair of sneakers. I think it's cool that your screen name is the number of miles you are from heaven. :)

TwoDukeTattoos
02-21-2008, 12:23 PM
Also, post your own superstitious things here, what do you all do/wear/say during Duke basketball games?[/QUOTE]

I am not superstitious, but I do wear stuff that provides me "comfort", if that makes any sense. And it usually varies depending on how I am feeling at gametime. Some of my fave items, however, are:

Black Duke jersey
Blue Grant Hill jersey that I bought in '94
2001 Title shirt "Only the Strong Survive"

Also, I have a little Duke ball that I bought my oldest son when he was a toddler that I often hold during games, and during the tourney I display all of my limited edition Herald Sun papers from each of the three title years.

DBFAN
02-21-2008, 01:20 PM
I am a little superstitious, but I was unable to watch the last two games (work) this week, which is the only game besides the Davidson game that I have missed. So do not worry too much because I will be able to watch the rest of the games and restore the balance in the universe ;)

By the way since I could not see the game, and refuse to watch ESPN after a loss, is our defense just looking real bad or are the other teams offense just that impressive?

CMS2478
02-21-2008, 01:23 PM
I am a little superstitious, but I was unable to watch the last two games (work) this week, which is the only game besides the Davidson game that I have missed. So do not worry too much because I will be able to watch the rest of the games and restore the balance in the universe ;)

By the way since I could not see the game, and refuse to watch ESPN after a loss, is our defense just looking real bad or are the other teams offense just that impressive?

Wake and Miami shot particulary good for them, but it is mainly our defense, or lack there of. :o

BlueHeaven
02-21-2008, 01:25 PM
I have some Duke mardi gras beads I bought in NO a few years ago. I have them hidden in a drawer b/c they brought us very bad luck last year. I was actually at the game last night and was starting to think it was my tshirt. Iam not going to wear it the rest of the season and I'll let you know. Maybe I bring the beads out?? Maybe they've reversed their hexing charm.

MChambers
02-21-2008, 01:31 PM

We should all pitch in and get you a really great HD TV (or a new job, or fund your retirement).

DBFAN
02-21-2008, 01:36 PM
I just got an HD TV, but I am sure my wife and I would not mind having one for our bedroom.

The work thing is tough I am a musician so I get called to play random shows, at all different hours so sometimes my basketball schedule gets screwed up, but I obviously have to take the Gigs for money reasons. Although I have passed on a gig or two in my life so I wouldn't miss a game, does that make me obsessive? :D

2535Miles
03-08-2008, 11:21 PM

This loss matters, and tonight, I am blind drunk. Well maybe not blind, but still...
I have also found a new, somewhat effective superstition. For the second half I decided to break the game down to 4, 5-minute quarters and implement my new strategy. I would try a pose, and see how thing went. I sat in the center of the couch, tv centered, surround sound surrounding me, and put my feet up on the coffee table. I balanced my feet so they were spaced equally apart (using some good ol fashioned open eye/shut eye parallax) with the tv in the center. In this pose, Duke went 3 for 4 quarters Duke, closed the gap and played extremely well.

I am now calling upon all superstitious fans to practice this pose and be ready to assume it during the ACC and NCAA.

BlueHeaven
03-09-2008, 01:36 AM
No joke, I knew we'd lose when a black cat crossed my path on my way to the supermarket this am. I've been worried and depressed all day. I should have stayed in until after the game.

PomPomGirl
03-09-2008, 01:48 AM
I can't be online or traveling during a game - baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad mojo.
Must have beer, Guinness is usually good, and wear some form of Duke t-shirt.
My "Go to Hell Carolina" mug always makes an appearance on gameday.

Since the baby was born, we've discovered that for maximum good mojo she has to have her Duke pacifier during games.

Which brings me to my confession - she went to bed before tip-off, and I didn't realize she had the wrong pacifier till after the game was over. Mea culpa!

moonpie23
03-14-2008, 10:41 AM
do you have a stone cold superstition that you MUST adhere to for game day/time? post it here along with how you deal with it if we still lose.

mine is a lava-lite on the mantel. it goes on when the tip goes up...and i mean EXACTLY when the tip goes up....stays on for the length of the game.

duke has won a national title and 5 acc championships because of that lava-lite.

Chard
03-14-2008, 10:47 AM
I never record a game. Everytime I have I don't have a reason to rewatch the game.

Indoor66
03-14-2008, 10:50 AM
do you have a stone cold superstition that you MUST adhere to for game day/time? post it here along with how you deal with it if we still lose.

mine is a lava-lite on the mantel. it goes on when the tip goes up...and i mean EXACTLY when the tip goes up....stays on for the length of the game.

duke has won a national title and 5 acc championships because of that lava-lite.

How did they win the other championships and NC's? :confused:

captmojo
03-14-2008, 11:40 AM
No superstitions from me, only one fact. If you take a drink every time Billy Packer utters the word "solid", you might not be able to get up and make it to the bathroom at the final buzzer. ;)

moonpie23
03-14-2008, 12:07 PM
How did they win the other championships and NC's? :confused:

I'm not sure, but i am suspecting that someone ELSE had a lava-lite of equal power...

Devil07
03-14-2008, 12:50 PM
This may be OCD (and by may be I mean most definitely is) but I've got a thing with multiples of 2 during the games. If we're doing well and I have to scratch my head, I do it twice. If I decide to stand up to cheer, then once I sit down I have to stand up again before I can sit again. When I'm drinking something, I pick it up drink it, put it down and repeat. You get the idea. If we're doing poorly I do things just once until karma improves and then its back to the even numbers. All of this is particularly fun when in public since apparently this sort of behavior is technically not "normal." Eh, whatever it takes to win...

moonpie23
03-14-2008, 01:51 PM
dood.....that's ocd TURBO....
;)

4dukeinMinnesota
03-14-2008, 03:11 PM
My husband always gets the couch and always wears his Duke Sixth Man T-shirt that our son got him several years ago at a Duke/St. Johns game at Cameron. I always wear the same Duke sweatshirt and am sprawled in the same position on the floor right in front of the tv with the same two pillows under my head. I'm excited for tonight. GO DUKE! I like Ima's thinking.
PS One of our spare bedrooms is decorated all Duke.

4DukeinMinnesota