PDA

View Full Version : Should I go...

pamtar
02-04-2008, 12:30 PM
to the the game Wednesday? A good friend of mine has offered to take me but I don't know if I even want to go.

I have never been to the Dork Dome (why the hell would I besides this) and do not want to fight/get beat-up. If I do go should I stay low-key or wear Duke garb? I want to enjoy the game and not be heckled the whole time.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-04-2008, 12:38 PM
to the the game Wednesday? A good friend of mine has offered to take me but I don't know if I even want to go.

I have never been to the Dork Dome (why the hell would I besides this) and do not want to fight/get beat-up. If I do go should I stay low-key or wear Duke garb? I want to enjoy the game and not be heckled the whole time.

If you've never seen the Dean Dome, you may find it easier to take in if you're there to see something other than a Duke - Carolina game. As for how you'd be treated while wearing Duke attire, it all depends on the people around you as well as how you behave. If you want to be free to say what you like and react openly, a different venue might be best! How about a party at your house?

blazindw
02-04-2008, 12:39 PM

My great story from my only trip to the Dean Dome:

My senior year, I actually put a post on DBR asking for a ticket to the game. An hour before tipoff, a Duke fan who worked at UNC called me, said that he saw my post, and said that a ticket was mine if I could get there by tipoff and wouldn't mind sitting with the UNC booster club (Ram's Club??). Regardless, I dressed HEAD TO TOE in Duke gear, including my trademark headband that I wore for every game I saw in person.

I get to the Dean Dome to meet the guy, and we are definitely sitting in the heart of the UNC booster section. They heckled, but it was more of good natured ribbing as well as questions on how 2 Duke fans could get tickets where we were sitting. Of course, you all know this game as the game where Duhon drove the length of the court and did the reverse layup in overtime to win it for us 83-81. Literally 10 seconds before that, one of the main guys that was talking trash to us the whole game turns to us and goes "I have to say, you two are some of the best Duke fans I've ever run into. You're very courteous, you're not trying to start stuff and you recognize where you are and aren't trying to be the rowdy opposing fans." As we thank him, McCants hits the 3, and then Duhon gets the inbounds pass. 5 seconds later, we are screaming, yelling , jumping up and down, running up and down the aisle pumping our fists and doing everything that probably made that guy take back everything he had just said about us.

I probably will never go to another game in the Dean Dome, partly because the atmosphere wasn't really that good for a basketball game (especially for a Duke-UNC game, a rivalry unequaled in college basketball), but mostly because I want that game to stand alone as the day I came, saw a game in the Dean Dome, and watched one of the great moments in the rivalry unfold live...and of course, seeing the sad, shocked look on UNC fans' faces as I left the Dome with my head high, my Duke shooting shirt on full display, knowing that whatever they could possibly say to me at that moment could not ever upset me as much as me saying "83-81" would upset them.

ChicagoDevil
02-04-2008, 12:40 PM
Go, wear your Duke garb proudly, and GIVE 'EM HELL!!!!!!!!!!

GTHC!!!!

HumboldtDevil
02-04-2008, 12:40 PM
C'mon man, do you know what I would give to go to this game? I'm sure just about every Duke (or Carolina) fan feels the same way I do.

I get where you're coming from because there will be thousands of dumbass college students there, but I doubt you're gonna get jumped or something. You won't be the only Duke fan there. I'd avoid wearing a full Duke uniform, but you should still represent Duke.

Just leave quicly and without gloating when Duke wins!

Ima Facultiwyfe
02-04-2008, 12:42 PM

But, they aren't famous for Southern Hospitality around here under any circumstances. You will definitely be made to feel the chill. We've lived here for nearly 40 years and I still wear sweater EVERYwhere....not just in the Dumb Dome.

Love, Ima

camcraz25
02-04-2008, 12:43 PM
If you go, just beware...the blue color that is all over the seats and floor is sickening! Literally...I call it pepto bismol blue because it looks like what pepto bismol would if it were blue.

Cary
02-04-2008, 12:48 PM
I would encourage you to go. I think it is always fun to see the other ACC venues and having been to both a Duke-Carolina game at the Dean Dome and a Duke-FSU game in Tallahassee, there is no contest as to which venue is more inhospitable (the beer being served in Tally may have something to do with it). I wouldn't even think about going to UMD. That being said, I would probably advise that your cheering be somewhat understated and positive; I am sure you can create a scene if you are obnoxious. It would certainly be sweet to be there for a win (alas, I was not so lucky!).

sagegrouse
02-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Do all of the following:

(a). Accept the ticket

(b). Put on your Duke duds

(c). Act like a grownup

(d). Have a great time

You'd be an idiot not to take advantage of the offer.

sagegrouse
'Goodness knows, there are enough Heels in Cameron during Duke-UNC games'

loran16
02-04-2008, 12:52 PM
hey, if you dont want the ticket, Ill take it.

That ought to be a hell of a game...no reason not to go.

calltheobvious
02-04-2008, 12:59 PM
I would encourage you to go. I think it is always fun to see the other ACC venues and having been to both a Duke-Carolina game at the Dean Dome and a Duke-FSU game in Tallahassee, there is no contest as to which venue is more inhospitable (the beer being served in Tally may have something to do with it). I wouldn't even think about going to UMD. That being said, I would probably advise that your cheering be somewhat understated and positive; I am sure you can create a scene if you are obnoxious. It would certainly be sweet to be there for a win (alas, I was not so lucky!).

It's certainly no fun to go on the road and be surrounded by the home fans after their victory. But the feeling of being a visiting fan of the winning side is nearly indescribable. In almost all cases, the thrill of victory outweighs the agony of defeat.

Being there for your team's road win is Schadenfreude on Steroids.

BlueDevilJay
02-04-2008, 01:06 PM
Three points....

1) GO to the game

2) GO DUKE!!!!

3) GO to Hell Carolina, GO to Hell!!!!

DukieInKansas
02-04-2008, 01:18 PM
I had the pleasure of sitting in Allen Fieldhouse, in the middle of the athletic department section, when Duke played KU. I work my Duke shirt but stayed relatively quiet as the game went on. They definitely knew I was pulling for Duke but I tried not to be obnoxious about it. I thoroughly enjoyed the nasty looks I received as we tied the game at the end of regulation and went on to beat them in OT. What a great feeling!

Go and enjoy the game.

dukepsy1963
02-04-2008, 01:21 PM
Absolutely GO!!!!!! We need all the cheering we can get!!!!!!!!

Go Duke!!!

elvis14
02-04-2008, 01:24 PM
If you go, just beware...the blue color that is all over the seats and floor is sickening! Literally...I call it pepto bismol blue because it looks like what pepto bismol would if it were blue.

Do all of the following:
(a). Accept the ticket
(b). Put on your Duke duds
(c). Act like a grownup
(d). Have a great time

You'd be an idiot not to take advantage of the offer.

I multiquoted the two posts above that pretty much embody what I have to say. Something about that place and all that ugly pale blue is truly sickening. No joke.

I have been to see two games in the Dean Dome. A game against WF back when Rodney Rodgers was playing and a game against Clemson about 4 years ago. Sadly, UNC won both games. It's not a great place to see a game but at the same time, if I could go Wednesday night (meaning if I had a ticket) I'd go. It's just too good of a game to miss. Plus you have to remember we are talking about Carolina (wine and cheese) not Maryland (ah let's just say not wine and cheese :D). To put my post in perspective, I have lots of friends from NCSU and go to a few games a year there and I really thought Reynolds was cool and the RBC Center is more boring and sterile.

Elvis

CDu
02-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Go, absolutely. You won't be threatened physically. Carolina students are no more dangerous than Duke students. They're a lot of talk at most.

And if we win, there's no better sound (or lack thereof) than the sound of silence that will fill that arena.

Classof06
02-04-2008, 01:45 PM
You gotta go. Absolutely go.

I can barely contain my excitement about flying into Durham this weekend for the BC game, my first game in Cameron as an alum. I'd probably kill in the street for tickets to Wednesday night.

uncwdevil
02-04-2008, 01:56 PM
My great story from my only trip to the Dean Dome:

My senior year, I actually put a post on DBR asking for a ticket to the game. An hour before tipoff, a Duke fan who worked at UNC called me, said that he saw my post, and said that a ticket was mine if I could get there by tipoff and wouldn't mind sitting with the UNC booster club (Ram's Club??). Regardless, I dressed HEAD TO TOE in Duke gear, including my trademark headband that I wore for every game I saw in person.

I get to the Dean Dome to meet the guy, and we are definitely sitting in the heart of the UNC booster section. They heckled, but it was more of good natured ribbing as well as questions on how 2 Duke fans could get tickets where we were sitting. Of course, you all know this game as the game where Duhon drove the length of the court and did the reverse layup in overtime to win it for us 83-81. Literally 10 seconds before that, one of the main guys that was talking trash to us the whole game turns to us and goes "I have to say, you two are some of the best Duke fans I've ever run into. You're very courteous, you're not trying to start stuff and you recognize where you are and aren't trying to be the rowdy opposing fans." As we thank him, McCants hits the 3, and then Duhon gets the inbounds pass. 5 seconds later, we are screaming, yelling , jumping up and down, running up and down the aisle pumping our fists and doing everything that probably made that guy take back everything he had just said about us.

I probably will never go to another game in the Dean Dome, partly because the atmosphere wasn't really that good for a basketball game (especially for a Duke-UNC game, a rivalry unequaled in college basketball), but mostly because I want that game to stand alone as the day I came, saw a game in the Dean Dome, and watched one of the great moments in the rivalry unfold live...and of course, seeing the sad, shocked look on UNC fans' faces as I left the Dome with my head high, my Duke shooting shirt on full display, knowing that whatever they could possibly say to me at that moment could not ever upset me as much as me saying "83-81" would upset them.

I was at that game too! That was the year I was at UNC for grad school, definitely worth the public-school tuition!

I was in the student section wearing neutral colors and sitting on my hands most of the game. When we won I clapped really hard one time and walked out. Awesome experience....

Indoor66
02-04-2008, 02:12 PM
You've got to go. You will appreciate Cameron all the more. I am going to Duke at Miami and am excited about getting into another ACC arena. This will be my 7th. Each has made me know, all the more, that Duke has the best, most knowledgeable fans.

dukeENG2003
02-04-2008, 02:25 PM
yeah. go for sure. Just don't be too obnoxious to the point where people threaten you, and conduct yourself with class.

weezie
02-04-2008, 02:48 PM

Maybe wear a welder's mask in case your eyeballs start to bleed from the nasty blue. You'll definitely have a headache when you emerge from Dean's Dome.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-04-2008, 02:50 PM
Maybe wear a welder's mask in case your eyeballs start to bleed from the nasty blue. You'll definitely have a headache when you emerge from Dean's Dome.
Take some Advil along for your headache and wear a hockey goalie's mask. It's important for Kyle to be able to recognize a friend in the stands.

DukeDevil
02-04-2008, 03:00 PM
I'll solve the problem...just give ME the tickets and I'll dress in full Duke garb. I'll let you know how it went in detail, and you can make a decision for next year! sound good?

Highlander
02-04-2008, 03:06 PM

I went in '99 which was fun since it was a Duke blowout. I didn't wear anything obscenely Duke, and I wasn't obnoxious at all. I think it was obvious I was cheering for Duke, but for the most part the fans left me alone.

The one thing that struck me, though, is that I was watching a huge basketball game in a roomful of people who just saw the world fundamentally differently than I did. It made me feel small, and it made me miss Cameron. It was like being the only Democrat at the RNC. No amount of cheering or logic is going to change anyone's mind, so better just deal with it and move on.

Unless you can't take a little heckling and have a thick skin, you'd be a fool to turn down a Duke/UNC ticket IMO.

Duke4Ever32
02-04-2008, 03:14 PM
I echo the thoughts here - you gotta go!

I was at the Duke/UNC game in the Dean Dome for 3 straight years when I was in law school there, and never had any problem going and cheering for Duke - even sitting in the student sections while I was doing so. Just don't be too "in your face" about it and you'll be fine sitting with everyone else. There will probably be several Duke fans scattered throughout the crowd. A Duke/UNC game is an event you never want to miss if you can be there in person, even if it's in the Dean Dome.

sagegrouse
02-04-2008, 03:43 PM
This is a bit off the topic of the Dean Dome.

I went to the 2004 Final Four in San Antonio and sat up in the rafters of the Duke section. San Antonio is a remote locations, and I think it was hard for the participating schools (except Okla State) to get rid of several thousand tickets in a few days, esp. a smaller school like Duke with few alumni in the southwest.

The Duke ticket dispenser and travel expediter is located in Connecticut. I noticed immediately that the fans to my left weren't really cheering much and certainly not for Duke. So we talked. It turns out they were friends of the owner of the travel company, who were given tix that weren't otherwise claimed. They were all UConn fans and really on their best behavior so they didn't embarrass their patron.

BTW, the FF is in San Antonio again this year. I expect you can definitely get tickets if Duke makes the field.

sagegrouse

dukegirlinsc
02-04-2008, 03:51 PM
my uncle is a hole fan, and has taken me once.
um...like someone stated above, the color makes you a little sick to your stomach...but other than that, go watch duke kick some booty!

blazindw
02-04-2008, 03:55 PM
This is a bit off the topic of the Dean Dome.

I went to the 2004 Final Four in San Antonio and sat up in the rafters of the Duke section. San Antonio is a remote locations, and I think it was hard for the participating schools (except Okla State) to get rid of several thousand tickets in a few days, esp. a smaller school like Duke with few alumni in the southwest.

The Duke ticket dispenser and travel expediter is located in Connecticut. I noticed immediately that the fans to my left weren't really cheering much and certainly not for Duke. So we talked. It turns out they were friends of the owner of the travel company, who were given tix that weren't otherwise claimed. They were all UConn fans and really on their best behavior so they didn't embarrass their patron.

BTW, the FF is in San Antonio again this year. I expect you can definitely get tickets if Duke makes the field.

sagegrouse

Row 1, Seat 4 for that game. The only people in front of me were the guys on the basketball court. The worst I've ever felt after a game.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-04-2008, 04:04 PM
If the informal advise given in this thread is any indication, looks like you'll be heading to CH for the game. You're planning to write a post afterwards to share your experiences, aren't you?

rasputin
02-04-2008, 04:55 PM
I can't believe that a poster with the last name "Wine" didn't like the atmosphere in the Dean Dome. What, were they out of cheese? :)

blazindw
02-04-2008, 05:04 PM
I can't believe that a poster with the last name "Wine" didn't like the atmosphere in the Dean Dome. What, were they out of cheese? :)

They give me a bad name....and yes, they were out of cheese :)

happydays1949
02-04-2008, 06:29 PM
The only time I have ever been to the Dean Dome was the Duke/Carolina game. Can't remember the year (Mid '90s). I dressed in my Duke sweatshirt, surrounded by avid Carolina fans. I was treated with respect as I treated the Carolina fans with respect.

The only ACC gym I have ever been treated badly is the Joel in Winston-Salem. Those Wake fans are pretty rough.

pamtar
02-04-2008, 06:53 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys.

I left a 'yes' message on my friend's voice mail ten minutes ago. This is my first Duke/UNC game ever. Wish me luck!!

GTHC,GTH (should I chant that at the game;) )

Ima Facultiwyfe
02-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Glad you will be there for Gerald if nothing else! Let us know how it goes!
Bless your heart!

Love, Ima

mgtr
02-04-2008, 09:58 PM
I have never been to the Dean Dome for a Duke game, but I do have a parallel experience. In 1971 and 1972 I was at a number of Knick games in Madison Square Garden, against the Boston Celtics. I was certainly not in the Celtic section (if there even was one), but I was rooting loudly for the Celts. People just basically ignored me. I wasn't wearing a Celtic jersey, and tried not to be obnoxious -- just loud. My friend, who got us really good tickets, kept trying to pull me down and shut me up. But it was OK.
On the other hand, if it had been a hockey game in the same circumstances, I would probably have been killed.

freedevil
02-04-2008, 09:59 PM
God Speed Pamtar. If you wear no Duke garb or are decked out head to toe, just be sure to pack your sh**-eating grin.

Virginian
02-04-2008, 10:12 PM
Definitely go. If nothing else, it takes one more UNC fan out of the equation.

Wear a little bit of Duke blue but don't be obnoxious about it. Root for our team but don't be over-the-top about it. Occasionaly, you might even note a good UNC play ("oh, very nice put-back," you'll say admiringly), making it known to all around that you're a true basketball fan.

Be a polite, good citizen Duke fan and you'll survive.

Bottom line: how could you miss one of the great games of all time?

Enjoy!

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-04-2008, 10:42 PM
The only time I have ever been to the Dean Dome was the Duke/Carolina game. Can't remember the year (Mid '90s). I dressed in my Duke sweatshirt, surrounded by avid Carolina fans. I was treated with respect as I treated the Carolina fans with respect.

The only ACC gym I have ever been treated badly is the Joel in Winston-Salem. Those Wake fans are pretty rough.

Wake fans have been known to boo their own team and throw cups on the floor at them. This behavior was common before Skip Prosser's arrival.

billy
02-04-2008, 11:02 PM
Wake fans have been known to boo their own team and throw cups on the floor at them. This behavior was common before Skip Prosser's arrival.

I went to Wake for grad school - free tickets, went to most of the games at Joel. "Fans" showed their true class by yelling at two kids, around eight years old, to sit down and shut the f*&! up and f*&! Duke at them - eight years old!!

That was a tough stretch for a Duke fan but my last year (Duncan's last year) was great - Carrawell (as a freshman I think) had a huge block to help preserve the Duke win - one of my favorite plays ever!

camcraz25
02-04-2008, 11:16 PM
I was at that game too! That was the year I was at UNC for grad school, definitely worth the public-school tuition!

I was in the student section wearing neutral colors and sitting on my hands most of the game. When we won I clapped really hard one time and walked out. Awesome experience....

Yep, I was there too...Duke roommate went to UNC for med school and got us student tickets. I had a student i.d. from summer classes. We sat in the VERY LAST ROW of the entire dean doh'm, so we could cheer as much as we wanted when Duhon hit that shot...and see the entire place look STUNNED. It was SWEET!

heath_harshman4
02-04-2008, 11:35 PM
I am 17 years old....

When I was 8 years old I decided I wanted to do three sports related things before I died.

-GO see my San Francisco 49ers play live -DONE

-GO see Gary Payton play live-NEVER HAPPENED

-GO see DUKE vs. UNC at both places- NOT YET

I live on the west coast and its nearly impossible to go to a Duke game, much less a Duke v. UNC game....This is an opportunity thousands of people would want to have...

GO!!! haha

TillyGalore
02-05-2008, 10:24 AM
Go, and tell us all about it on Thursday.

Section 8
02-05-2008, 10:32 AM
...is that you give your ticket to me. :)

pamtar
02-07-2008, 12:18 AM
Thanks to everybody who told me to go to this game!! I am drunk as piss right now and I don't really know why I'm posting but Thanks!!!

Report from the Dork Dome:
I came, I saw, we won!!!! I love Lance Thomas!! UNC fans were great. They lost so they couldn't say much. I cant believe I just saw DUKE beat UNC. I'm sorry, maybe I can give you a better report tomorrow. Thank my wife for typing this.
Gthc gth.

weezie
02-07-2008, 12:19 AM
Cheers! Have a few more for us.