PDA

View Full Version : Duke/Carolina in Kuala Lumpur

unexpected
02-04-2008, 04:25 AM
Does anyone have any idea where I could watch the Duke/Carolina game from afar? I won't be getting in in the hotel, and I need a place that's open at 7am to watch this.

I know this is a long shot, but thought I might as well try....

BlueTeuf
02-04-2008, 07:02 AM
The game is on at 1000 for you - not 0700.

Idea 1: Have you tried purchasing SlingBox and using your high speed internet access and your own laptop? A family member or friend would need to let you have access to an unused cable drop. Will solve Thursday's problem and all subsequent - for less than $100.

Idea 2: can you get Armed Forces TV? Talk to any American Servicemember - the game is on the AFN Sports channel in Kuala Lampur at 10:00 AM. The US Embassy Guards will know where you might watch. You may need an invitation to their Marine House - so pepper your speech with a fair number of Semper Fi's - don't try an "Oorah" (pronounced sort of like "Aarugha") unless you're well practiced or attempting comic relief. Offering to buy the pizza/tacos/philly cheesesteaks etc. might be a nice tack as well.

If you show up early, the UConn/SYR game is on at 0800. Same bat-channel.

BlueTeuf

hurleyfor3
02-04-2008, 09:47 AM
I've tried following Duke basketball from HK, Thailand and Singapore... not that easy. Your best bet may be to scope out a good Internet cafe and follow along in DBR Chat.

Deslok
02-04-2008, 04:58 PM
I've tried following Duke basketball from HK, Thailand and Singapore... not that easy. Your best bet may be to scope out a good Internet cafe and follow along in DBR Chat.

Its a piece of cake... with the aforementioned slingbox. We just had a nice little gathering last night of folks to watch the Super Bowl, recorded via slingbox to watch 10 or so hours after the game(which kicked off at 8am in Korea). Only issue is such things can be during working hours so watching live can be a challenge(not a problem for Duke-UNC since Lunar New Year is on Thursday, so won't be working).

Even without a slingbox, finding an internet cafe is not that difficult and if you ask in DBR Chat you can usually get a working audio link to follow the game from.

unexpected
02-04-2008, 07:28 PM
man...I don't have a slingbox set up and no one at home is going to set it up for me until I get back (I'm the techy one).

I might try the US Embassy. Complicating matters further is that Thursday and Friday are Chinese New Year holidays, so everything else shuts down.

I will have Internet access though, so worse comes to worst, I'll watch it via ESPN gamecast

Kdogg
02-04-2008, 09:40 PM
man...I don't have a slingbox set up and no one at home is going to set it up for me until I get back (I'm the techy one).

I might try the US Embassy. Complicating matters further is that Thursday and Friday are Chinese New Year holidays, so everything else shuts down.

I will have Internet access though, so worse comes to worst, I'll watch it via ESPN gamecast

If you know anyone with a Verizon DSL account you can watch the video on ESPN360.com.

mgtr
02-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Am I the only one impressed with the number and range of possible solutions to the problem. Pretty cool! I bet UNC grads wouldn't come up with so many!

heifer
02-04-2008, 10:50 PM
I would also love it if someone could post an address where i could listen to streaming audio of bob haris doing the game. I haven:t been able to locate Armed Forces Network access for Thursday morning here in Japan.