PDA

View Full Version : NC State/Drexel

phaedrus
03-13-2007, 10:03 PM
looks like NC State has, or is about to, take out Drexel in the NIT. maybe drexel didn't come to play after their ncaa letdown, but that nc state loss sure looks different now than it did on thursday.

JasonEvans
03-13-2007, 10:16 PM
looks like NC State has, or is about to, take out Drexel in the NIT. maybe drexel didn't come to play after their ncaa letdown, but that nc state loss sure looks different now than it did on thursday.

Worth noting that the game is on Drexel's home floor too. Go Pack!!!

If the Pack had beaten UNC and made the NCAA as the #12 seed in some region-- how many of you would have picked them to beat the poor #5 seed who would have faced them (I am thinking Butler or USC). Heck, I'd have likely picked them to beat the #5 and the #4 and make the Sweet 16 where they would have given some poor #1 seed a real fight. The State team is a gooood team right now and I think they'd likely be dancing today if Atsur had not missed 12 games. Heck, they'd be dancing for sure if Brackman had not given up hoops to persue his baseball dreams.

-Jason "I'll admit it, Sidney Lowe was a good hire" Evans

JasonEvans
03-13-2007, 10:20 PM

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that Dereck Whittenberg led Fordham to an 18-12 record this year, their first winning season since 1991!! They won 10 games in the A10 for the first time in school history!! They return most of their best players so they will likely be one of the picks for A10 champ next season.

Someone is gonna get a very good coach in Whittenberg someday soon... it just won't be NC State.

-Jason "still in man-love with DW" Evans

dukelifer
03-13-2007, 11:12 PM
Worth noting that the game is on Drexel's home floor too. Go Pack!!!

If the Pack had beaten UNC and made the NCAA as the #12 seed in some region-- how many of you would have picked them to beat the poor #5 seed who would have faced them (I am thinking Butler or USC). Heck, I'd have likely picked them to beat the #5 and the #4 and make the Sweet 16 where they would have given some poor #1 seed a real fight. The State team is a gooood team right now and I think they'd likely be dancing today if Atsur had not missed 12 games. Heck, they'd be dancing for sure if Brackman had not given up hoops to persue his baseball dreams.

I am not sure how this team found the energy. They have to be exhausted- they have no bench. It is amazing they are still winning. State is building a base for a great year next year. They will miss Atsur but this experience is a big step for a team that easily could have had it season ended last Thursday and a sense that they were not very good. Now, I think they think they can compete with anyone. The 1983-84 Duke team got a taste of success in the post season and built off of that. Lowe has impressed me with how he has motivated and coached this team.

gep
03-14-2007, 12:18 AM
Lowe has impressed me with how he has motivated and coached this team.

Maybe Sidney Lowe... as the "coach-on-the-floor point guard" (from the NCState site) for their NC team... the current team just simply *believed* in everything that Coach Lowe said regarding winning, commitment, etc (been there, done that, kind of thing). If Coach Lowe can continue is success, this will be great for the ACC and especially the triangle...

Bob Green
03-14-2007, 12:24 AM
Atsur scored 18 points as State won 63-56. State's bench tallied zero points in the game. Once S. Lowe has a full complement of players, State is going to be very tough. They have six new players coming in next year. Personally, I would love to see all three triangle teams in the Top 20 and dominating the ACC next year.

FSU beat Toleda 77-61 behind Al Thornton's 24 points.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

JasonEvans
03-14-2007, 09:29 AM
FSU beat Toleda 77-61 behind Al Thornton's 24 points.

Clemson, FSU, and NC State are all in different regions in the NIT bracket and I think all 3 have a good shot at making the NIT Final Four. Lets make this an ACC party!!!

As an aside, I really like the new NIT with seeds and a bracket. Gives it more of an NCAA tourney feel.

http://images.sportsline.com/images/madness/2007/viewable_nit.gif

--Jason "Tommy faces FSU next-- ugggh, who to root for?!?!" Evans

Nittany Devil
03-14-2007, 10:44 AM
The State team is a gooood team right now and I think they'd likely be dancing today if Atsur had not missed 12 games.

After seeing Arkansas get an at-large bid, I thought to myself that State may have been two conference wins away from an at-large bid themselves. Their big wins, the quality of the ACC, and the Atsur injury factor would have put them over Arkansas in my opinion. (I'd take State over Arkansas right now.)

tbyers11
03-14-2007, 11:13 AM
According to the new NIT rules, the higher seeded-team gets to host the game. Since Marist upset OK St in Stillwater last night, the Pack get to play Marist in Raleigh. However, the RBC has a concert Friday night and is booked over the weekend with the Women's NCAA (Go Duke:) ). Reynolds is hosting a gymnastics meet on Friday night. Right now, NC State has a home game without a place to play. Needless to say, their board is a little upset. I hope they find a way to play at home and that FSU, Clemson, and NC State all make it to NYC. I would actually watch the NIT in that case.

phaedrus
03-14-2007, 11:23 AM
florida state-michigan should be a good game - one that we all have immediate interest in. both teams actually want to be there.

how do they seed this tournament? it's interesting that some of the bigger ncaa rejections (drexel, cuse, florida state, kansas state) are not 1 seeds, while mississippi state is.

Exiled_Devil
03-14-2007, 11:24 AM
They have six new players coming in next year.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

If one of them is a point guard, I expect to see state in the top 25 most of the season and with a single-digit seed next March. The only thing I can see slowing them down next year is not replacing Atsur with someone capable.

On the point of recruiting, I think Lowe may start pulling some 1-and-done'rs soon. He is playing an NBA-esque offense (at least that is what announcers say he is/intends on playing) and he is people-who-knows-people. If I was planning a short university career, I would consider Lowe a good adviser on stepping into the pro's, and NCState a great chance to be 'the man' against high levels of talent. I say three years at most before he pulls a player noone would expect for state.

Exiled

JasonEvans
03-14-2007, 11:58 AM
If one of them is a point guard, I expect to see state in the top 25 most of the season and with a single-digit seed next March. The only thing I can see slowing them down next year is not replacing Atsur with someone capable.

State is bringing in a PG, but he is not considered a top recruit. His name is Javier Gonzalez and he is not a top 100 recruit and the other players in his recruiting race were mostly mid-majors, not major conference powers. Also, at mid-season next year State gets a transfer named Marques Johnson who comes to them from Tennessee. He was a decent, but not great PG prospect coming out of high school. He almost picked State but went to Tennessee and was playing a bit but decided he wanted to be at State so he transferred.

The studs State brings in next year are both big men. JJ Hickson is one of the best post prospects in the class and a McDonald's All-American/top 20 recruit. He's a real run-and-jump athlete who will thrive in a fast-paced game. He should be a nice compliment to Costner and McCauley who are poist-up kinda players as Hickson is best facing the basket, not with his back to it.

State also brings in Tracy Smith -- a beast of a PF who goes to Mt. Zion. Smith is a top 50 recruit. He goes 6-8, 230 and will be a good backup to Costner/McCauley.

State is also high on Julius Mays, a PG recruit in the class of 2008 who they really like. He is not highly ranked at this point, but a bunch of good schools like Indiana and Michagan State wanted him so that is a good sign for State.

-Jason "they will really miss Atsur, but will be a little deeper next year" Evans

Clipsfan
03-14-2007, 12:02 PM
-Jason "they will really miss Atsur, but will be a little deeper next year" Evans

Unfortunately, being deeper won't help them much without that PG help. All we have to do is look at how they did during this season without Atsur, and compare that to the way they're playing now when Atsur is gutting it out (and Costner is scoring at will) to understand how hard next season may be for them.

oso diablo
03-14-2007, 12:23 PM
Right now, NC State has a home game without a place to play.
seriously? if so, would they consider Cameron?

devilish
03-14-2007, 12:36 PM
According to the new NIT rules, the higher seeded-team gets to host the game. Since Marist upset OK St in Stillwater last night, the Pack get to play Marist in Raleigh. However, the RBC has a concert Friday night and is booked over the weekend with the Women's NCAA (Go Duke:) ). Reynolds is hosting a gymnastics meet on Friday night. Right now, NC State has a home game without a place to play. Needless to say, their board is a little upset. I hope they find a way to play at home and that FSU, Clemson, and NC State all make it to NYC. I would actually watch the NIT in that case.

They worked it out: http://www.gopack.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=9200&ATCLID=826788

gw67
03-14-2007, 02:56 PM
The Wolfpack return five players who can pass and shoot (Costner, Grant, McCauley, Fells and Horner) and a freshman point guard (Ferguson) who joined the team at mid-season and may develop. With their returnees plus incoming recruiting class and transfers, I expect State to be improved next year.

gw67