PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Blackout!

jfreem
02-03-2008, 06:13 PM
NO FREAKING WAY!!!!

Does anybody realize that ESPN HD will be BLACKED OUT during the UNC/Duke game on Wednesday night ??? Because Raycom has the local rights to the conference telecasts, we get the priviledge of watching this stellar matchup in fuzzy Standard Definition. I live in Columbia, SC and I am absolutely livid. Does anybody have any suggestions?

rthomas
02-03-2008, 06:16 PM
On the glass half full side, you don't have to listen to Dickie V make his comeback.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-03-2008, 06:22 PM
On the glass half full side, you don't have to listen to Dickie V make his comeback.

No, we'll have Billy Packer instead.

As Mike Gminski said at the end of the carolina - FSU game, the 2 Duke - carolina regular season games are the only games on the planet that get such "royal" treatment with both Vitale and Packer doing the games.

dukeinseville
02-03-2008, 06:28 PM
If I were in the U.S., maybe I would sympathize. I would kill to see the game in fuzzy standard definition. Instead I'll survive on a 7 inch slingbox player window at 3am, praying that my internet connection doesn't go down. :)

pfrduke
02-03-2008, 06:31 PM
NO FREAKING WAY!!!!

Does anybody realize that ESPN HD will be BLACKED OUT during the UNC/Duke game on Wednesday night ??? Because Raycom has the local rights to the conference telecasts, we get the priviledge of watching this stellar matchup in fuzzy Standard Definition. I live in Columbia, SC and I am absolutely livid. Does anybody have any suggestions?

sports bar.

jlear
02-03-2008, 06:42 PM
Duke at North Carolina
in HD where available

Link (http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/08raycomschedule.html)

Karl Beem
02-03-2008, 06:52 PM
NO FREAKING WAY!!!!

Where have you been?

jfreem
02-03-2008, 07:42 PM
Where have I been?

I've been right here. (What kind of silly-^$%^$%^$% question is that?)

My local Raycom affiliate has no HD equivalent. It's usually the WB or something crappy like that.

theasem
02-03-2008, 07:45 PM
The game will definitely be in HD.
(According to the post) but also...

The NC State game was in HD as well, and it was covered by RayCom.
So this one of course should be as well.

Karl Beem
02-03-2008, 08:15 PM
People complain about the ESPN blackout every year, since, well maybe since ESPN started? Raycom, formerly RLF and RJP has the ACC package started by CD Chesley. Al Featherston in the latest Basketball Times has its history and explaions that this TV package is a major reason why the ACC became the #1 BB conference. Anyway you sure you don't have a Raycom affiliate?

3rd Dukie
02-03-2008, 10:21 PM
NO FREAKING WAY!!!!

Yes. My suggestion is that you get over yourself and chill out. With everything that's going on in the world today, if this is the worst setback you have for one day, you are doing waaaay better than most. IT IS A GAME!

weezie
02-03-2008, 10:41 PM
Second that. You could be Tom Brady tonight and royally bummed.

jfreem
02-03-2008, 10:56 PM
If you think UNC/Duke is just a game...well...let's just say I'm questioning your fanhood.

Tom Brady does get to sleep with a super model which might assist in lessening his pain in losing. But maybe it's just a game for him, too.

Highlander
02-03-2008, 10:58 PM
Yes. My suggestion is that you get over yourself and chill out. With everything that's going on in the world today, if this is the worst setback you have for one day, you are doing waaaay better than most. IT IS A GAME!

True, but HD service typically requires an investment of thousands of dollars in an HD home entertainment center, plus around a hundred bucks a month for HD service. After all that, if you only option to watch one of the biggest games of the year is in fuzzy 4:3 picture with choppy audio, all while a 5.1 HD picture on a channel you pay to receive is blacked out, I can at least see where he's coming from. Imagine if you planned to watch the game on TV, and then were told you could only listen to it on the radio b/c TV was blacked out in your area.

My Raycom feed for NCSU last week was absolutely atrocious. I have VCR copies of games that are 10 years old that had better audio and video.

alteran
02-03-2008, 10:58 PM

Heh.

3rd Dukie
02-03-2008, 11:07 PM
If you think UNC/Duke is just a game...well...let's just say I'm questioning your fanhood.

Tom Brady does get to sleep with a super model which might assist in lessening his pain in losing. But maybe it's just a game for him, too.

Yep. It's a game. I'll check with my son in Afghanistan and see what kind of TV reception he'll be getting, between incoming mortar rounds, that is. A few of his buddies got offed last week, and I'll bet they were I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ing about warm beer and bad TV reception.

Like I said...

jlear
02-03-2008, 11:09 PM
In High Def, Regular Def, Internet Video, Sat. Radio, FM Radio, AM Radio, internet radio and listening to the game through a phone because you have no access at all, Carolina and go straight to Hell! Focus.

GO TO HELL, CAROLINA GO TO HELL!

3rd Dukie
02-03-2008, 11:29 PM
In High Def, Regular Def, Internet Video, Sat. Radio, FM Radio, AM Radio, internet radio and listening to the game through a phone because you have no access at all, Carolina and go straight to Hell! Focus.

GO TO HELL, CAROLINA GO TO HELL!

Hey! Sounds good to me, Pardner!

Thanks again.

Matches
02-04-2008, 08:21 AM
My Raycom feed for NCSU last week was absolutely atrocious. I have VCR copies of games that are 10 years old that had better audio and video.

According to the Raycom site the game will be on WBTVCh.3 here in Charlotte, which is available in HD. I've got my fingers crossed. I agree the quality of the NCSU broadcast was awful - HD or no HD, it was just terrible.

DukieInKansas
02-04-2008, 09:11 AM
Here's my dilemma - I can't get to a TV until 1hour into game time. Do I start watching it in HiDef at that point or do I go for drinks with friends and wait until the game is over to watch the whole game in standard def?

What would you do? (I would leave church choir practice early to catch the whole game, but that just doesn't feel right - I'm afraid of the karma thing.)

pamtar
02-04-2008, 09:45 AM
(I would leave church choir practice early to catch the whole game,

It's just once.

BlueDevilJay
02-04-2008, 10:13 AM
NO FREAKING WAY!!!!

The last game I got on Raycom was in full 1080i HD over DirecTV. I don't know what system you have (TWC? DTV?) but I finally was pleased to enjoy the Duke v Maryland encounter via Raycom, but it was presented in HD.

HaveFunExpectToWin
02-04-2008, 10:49 AM
NO FREAKING WAY!!!!

This has happened the past few seasons, but this year Raycom is doing the game in HD too.

I'm not sure which channels you get, but check here (http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/020308aaa.html) to see which of your Raycom affiliates is showing the game. It's being shown in HD (just like the State game), so if you can get the HD broadcast from one of those local affiliates, you'll be good to go.

If you're stick stuck, look on the bright side, you don't have to listen to Dickie V in his debut this season.

jfreem
02-04-2008, 12:27 PM
My local affiliate is located in Elgin, SC...it has no HD capability, a low quality SD analog picture, and no website. I have DirecTV and did spend alot of money putting my system in.

That being said, I never meant to compare my predicament to that of a serviceman in Afghanistan! I was airing a grievance. I commend and respect your son's service but frankly you could spend every hour of your day telling people not to complain about this or that because "my son is in Afghanistan." My harmless complaint about the broadcast doesn't diminish his acts of bravery and service.

SilkyJ
02-04-2008, 01:02 PM

yea, but to paraphrase the immortal sean connery, he still gets to go home and %#$(%#$* the prom queen.

Clipsfan
02-04-2008, 05:22 PM

It's not A game, it's THE game.

johnb
02-04-2008, 07:42 PM
I'll check with my son in Afghanistan

Good luck with him.

johnb
02-04-2008, 07:44 PM
you could spend every hour of your day telling people not to complain about this or that because "my son is in Afghanistan."

also true