PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Question

Steve68
02-03-2008, 05:27 PM
If I remember correctly, Gerald Henderson was suspended for one game last year after the ACC reviewed a tape of the incident. Most of us believe that his foul was unintentional. In addition, it occurred during the heat of battle. Yesterday's incident with McClinton elbowing a Duke player and then pretending to scratch his ear was certainly intentional and occurred during a timeout. Is there any chance that the ACC will review the tape and suspend him? Shouldn't they? Incidents like this are getting out of hand.

rthomas
02-03-2008, 05:42 PM
I play ball with a bunch of guys and I get hit harder than that elbow all the time. It may have been intentional but there were a lot more agregious acts to complain about that that.

Turtleboy
02-03-2008, 05:48 PM
I play ball with a bunch of guys and I get hit harder than that elbow all the time. It may have been intentional but there were a lot more agregious acts to complain about that that.It's certainly not less of a blow than the V. Tech. player delivered to that ref. Perhaps someone will come along with a cite, but I think that the rule simply states that a blow be attempted, not that it land with any particular force.

cspan37421
02-03-2008, 07:09 PM
I guess Carolina gets all the calls!

Highlander
02-03-2008, 10:47 PM
If I remember correctly, Gerald Henderson was suspended for one game last year after the ACC reviewed a tape of the incident. Most of us believe that his foul was unintentional. In addition, it occurred during the heat of battle. Yesterday's incident with McClinton elbowing a Duke player and then pretending to scratch his ear was certainly intentional and occurred during a timeout. Is there any chance that the ACC will review the tape and suspend him? Shouldn't they? Incidents like this are getting out of hand.

Alright, this is at least the third or fourth time I've read separate game threads asking whether the ACC will review tape and suspend an opposing player because of an percieved cheap shot against us. It's getting to where it happens after every game, and it sounds like whining. A review by the ACC isn't going to happen unless it's flagrant or causes serious injury (a la Gerald). McClinton's elbow was neither flagrant, nor did it cause injury.

Maybe I'm alone in that I don't think playing in and winning physical games is a bad thing. Personally, I'd rather us play some physical games now and be prepared for the NCAA tournament, rather than looking over our shoulder at the striped shirts in the Sweet 16 after any contact isn't called a foul (like we have in the past). That doesn't mean I want the game to get out of control and let players get hurt.

And Steve68, my apologies for singling you out. This isn't directed entirely at you. It has just been getting repetitive here and I wanted to address it.

Oh, and before anyone tries to compare the last 3-4 events with Hendo's slap from last year, keep in mind the only reason Henderson was suspended was that he split Hansbrough open and had him gushing blood like a faucet.