PDA

View Full Version : Pig Skin Prognostications - Super Bowl Thoughts here

YmoBeThere
02-03-2008, 11:01 AM
Now that I reside in New England, I can feel good about picking the Pats. However, I don't think they will cover the line which is at -12 if my sources are correct.

billybreen
02-03-2008, 11:04 AM
Now that I reside in New England, I can feel good about picking the Pats. However, I don't think they will cover the line which is at -12 if my sources are correct.

Yeah, I'll take the Pats for the win but not the cover.

YmoBeThere
02-03-2008, 11:18 AM
Its going to be 40+ degrees here in the Boston area. I'm getting the grill out. I wonder if I'll be the only one doing so.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-03-2008, 11:33 AM
I can think of at least two reasons I'll be pulling for the Giants. (I admit that these reasons are not particularly rational!) One is that anytime a Manning is playing, I'm going to back that team. A recent boost to such a win is Coach Cutlciffe's "Cliff's Notes" for Eli which have helped him become the quarterback the Giants need to win more games. The second reason is that I support the Giants is that the Patriots' image and future wins are tainted more and more by the questions raised with the video situation that continues to unfold in what some are calling "Spygate." The destruction of the tapes and the explanations that have followed do more harm than good for the Pats. Should they win today, the result may have an * next to to it.

bluebear
02-03-2008, 12:04 PM
I can think of at least two reasons I'll be pulling for the Giants. (I admit that these reasons are not particularly rational!) One is that anytime a Manning is playing, I'm going to back that team. A recent boost to such a win is Coach Cutlciffe's "Cliff's Notes" for Eli which have helped him become the quarterback the Giants need to win more games. The second reason is that I support the Giants is that the Patriots' image and future wins are tainted more and more by the questions raised with the video situation that continues to unfold in what some are calling "Spygate." The destruction of the tapes and the explanations that have followed do more harm than good for the Pats. Should they win today, the result may have an * next to to it.

first of all, there is no evidence at this point behind the new allegations...more importantly, what does spygate have to do with accomplishments this season? Pats by 17+

ugadevil
02-03-2008, 12:06 PM
I'll take New England because I think the x-factors for the Pats will play better than the guys for the Giants. Faulk, Gaffney, & Watson will outperform Bradshaw & Toomer.

johnb
02-03-2008, 01:07 PM
I'll take the little guys from the town on the Hudson, at least until baseball season, when I'll root for those scrappy underdogs in pinstripes.

YmoBeThere
02-03-2008, 04:19 PM
Bump...T-minus 2 hours and counting to kickoff

watzone
02-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Pats 38 NYG 17 Okay, thats probably way off, but I will lay the points.

P.S. - I am pulling for the Giants/Manning/Cutt (despite being a Coyboy) and hope I am wrong.

YmoBeThere
02-03-2008, 04:51 PM
The only thing I have at stake is a Pats score ending in 9 and a Giants score ending in 5 at the end of a quarter or the game. I'm not expecting much...

wiscodevil
02-03-2008, 05:17 PM
g-men: 31
patsies: 28

bradshaw mvp

Acymetric
02-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Did anyone pick the Giants to win? I missed it, curious if anyone took the chance.

DevilAlumna
02-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Ditka went for the G-men over the Pats, 27-24.

Personally, I like Eli and the Manning Men, and love the gray pants of the Giants, but I think the Pats will get the job done, I put experience on their side. 19-0 is a worthy outcome.

hc5duke
02-03-2008, 08:03 PM
I'll take the little guys from the town on the Hudson, at least until baseball season, when I'll root for those scrappy underdogs in pinstripes.

good to see another Astros fan ;)
http://www.houston.com/houstonastros/images/astrosjersey5.jpg

billybreen
02-03-2008, 09:03 PM
This game is just painful to watch, regardless of rooting interest.

A-Tex Devil
02-03-2008, 09:23 PM
You know what --- the Giant's catch a couple of balls they should have and this is 17-7 or 21-7.

Spagnuola (sp?) is getting himself a head coaching job tonight. Heck, some coaches that barely kept their jobs may end up getting fired tomorrow so their teams can get a run at him.

I know it's low scoring, but there is some great D being played by the Giants for those that appreciate that kind of thing.

billybreen
02-03-2008, 09:51 PM
Yeah, this 4th quarter has been great, super tense.

A-Tex Devil
02-03-2008, 09:52 PM
They may still lose -- but that play by Manning and Tyree right there was an f'ing all time Super Bowl great

billybreen
02-03-2008, 10:05 PM
Congrats to the Giants. There's going to be some serious mourning up here in Boston, but the real bummer is that we get another N years of hearing from Mercury Morris' fat head.

bluebear
02-03-2008, 10:19 PM
so painful...must go into full media blackout. Congrats to the giants though as they deserved to win..that play to Tyree was the real game winner. A sack or a drop and the game is over.

365Duke
02-03-2008, 10:24 PM
how cocky I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. Brady feels about his smart remark about his "17?" "he thinks we are only going to score 17 points, well alright then." boo hoo. not a giants fan, but what a wonderful game. and of course i give all credit to COACH CUT!

billybreen
02-03-2008, 10:27 PM
how cocky I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. Brady feels about his smart remark about his "17?" "he thinks we are only going to score 17 points, well alright then." boo hoo. not a giants fan, but what a wonderful game. and of course i give all credit to COACH CUT!

I'm not sure if I was more impressed by the Giants D or more unimpressed by Brady's performance. Clearly, the former had much to do with the latter, but Brady was misfiring horribly even when he had clean looks.

Between Brady and Romo this year, I'm guessing NFL coaches forbid their quarterbacks from inviting celebrity girlfriends to games for the rest of time.

Duvall
02-03-2008, 10:30 PM
the real bummer is that we get another N years of hearing from Mercury Morris' fat head.

ESPN has already done the first interview.

A-Tex Devil
02-03-2008, 10:31 PM
I'm not sure if I was more impressed by the Giants D or more unimpressed by Brady's performance. Clearly, the former had much to do with the latter, but Brady was misfiring horribly even when he had clean looks.

Between Brady and Romo this year, I'm guessing NFL coaches forbid their quarterbacks from inviting celebrity girlfriends to games for the rest of time.

Not to restart a long since locked thread, but..... for every Patriots fan ragging on Romo for his Mexico trip, maybe Brady should have been studying his playbook last week instead of hanging out with Giselle and his boot in NYC. I mean, there was a Super Bowl coming up and all....

Seriously -- I think that's got nothing to do with it, but it shows you how inanely stupid the Romo todo was. Crayton makes a catch in the open field and the Giants aren't even here today. Jessica Simpson and Giselle had nothing to do with it.

wiscodevil
02-03-2008, 10:32 PM
i am usually all for keeping the camera on the game, but i thought it was pretty cool watching peyton cheer on his little bro. he was super pumped up when they scored that last touchdown. good to see!

giants have a solid young core and I am sure brady and the pats will be contending again next year.

that escape by manning and catch by tyree was unbelievable. it never hit the ground did it? just stuck to his helmet.

dukie8
02-03-2008, 10:35 PM
the play of the game had to be the one when eli basically was sacked, somehow got out of it and threw up a prayer that was caught by tyree. can anyone remember a better catch that was that important?

365Duke
02-03-2008, 10:37 PM
that was cool seeing Peyton cheering for his brother but....... not one shot of his mom and dad (or Coach Cut.). Seems like Eli will never step out of Peyton's shadow.:o

rockymtn devil
02-03-2008, 10:37 PM
ESPN has already done the first interview.

I'm not a Pats fan (and was pulling for the Giants tonight), but what New England did this year is more impressive than the '72 Dolphins. Not only did they win more games, they did it against a more difficult schedule.

The 1972 Dolphins played what is, to this day, one of the easiest schedules in NFL history (I've seen it ranked as the 3rd easiest since 1950). I realize you can only play who's on your schedule, but that's a moot point. I'm not saying the '07 Pats are better than the '72 Dolphins, just that what they did was more impressive.

Congrats to the Patriots and, more importantly, to the Giants!!!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/s/epstein/72dolphins.html

dukie8
02-03-2008, 10:43 PM
I'm not a Pats fan (and was pulling for the Giants tonight), but what New England did this year is more impressive than the '72 Dolphins. Not only did they win more games, they did it against a more difficult schedule.

The 1972 Dolphins played what is, to this day, one of the easiest schedules in NFL history (I've seen it ranked as the 3rd easiest since 1950). I realize you can only play who's on your schedule, but that's a moot point. I'm not saying the '07 Pats are better than the '72 Dolphins, just that what they did was more impressive.

Congrats to the Patriots and, more importantly, to the Giants!!!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/s/epstein/72dolphins.html

if you can't win the championship, you aren't even in the same conversation as one of the best teams ever. same goes for unlv '91 and duke '99.

i wonder if coaches bench their starters the last week or 2 next year when things are clinched.

mapei
02-03-2008, 11:22 PM
the play of the game had to be the one when eli basically was sacked, somehow got out of it and threw up a prayer that was caught by tyree. can anyone remember a better catch that was that important?

That was absolutely the one! And wasn't that a fourth down, too? Amazing play by both QB and receiver.

billybreen
02-03-2008, 11:27 PM
i wonder if coaches bench their starters the last week or 2 next year when things are clinched.

Yep, the NFL is the big winner.

Deslok
02-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Yep, the NFL is the big winner.

I don't know, the city of New York is the big winner, perhaps in more ways than the obvious (http://www.sportsline.com/spin/story/10613134)

greybeard
02-04-2008, 12:53 PM
"Best team ever?" What does that mean? I thought that the thing about sports is who proves it or is lucky enough on any given day. Period.

But, if we must consider best, let's have a look. The Patriots were great at running up scores when they had things won. That is not even good, never mind best. Then there is Spygate, which again can't be good.

So what makes them the best? A classless team that cheats got lucky against the Colts and Giants and won games in which they were outplayed in the regular season (I don't know if there were other games in which they were outplayed, but in those two they clearly were; oh, Miami too, I think). Lucky to have been undefeated until when it counted and then they got smashed. Don't tell me the game was close, I actually watched this one and they, the Pats, were beat in every phase of the game, and soundly.

The score was close, but the game wasn't. On the biggest stage of them all, the Pats came up short because their luck ran out and because, in the end, there was no red flag that Bman could throw. (by the way, maybe they'll stop showing that play b/w Montana and Clark, it does have to give way, right?)

And, how can you possibly be the best when your coach, your head guy, decides to end the game on his terms, before the final whistle, because he couldn't stand to stand for a moment in the shoes of someone who was not going to win, and did not honor the game enough to hang around so that the game could end according to the rules that govern how it is supposed to be played?

Maybe Arlene could hold a hearing about that? Come to think of it, he is threatening to do just that. Ironic, huh?

hc5duke
02-04-2008, 01:11 PM
That was absolutely the one! And wasn't that a fourth down, too? Amazing play by both QB and receiver.

I think that was on 3rd and long, but still amazing play. I really loved the high-speed slow mo camera on the helmet-catch. Simply amazing.

billybreen
02-04-2008, 01:12 PM
I think that was on 3rd and long, but still amazing play. I really loved the high-speed slow mo camera on the helmet-catch. Simply amazing.

I think it was 3rd and 5 (seen in the interminable replays last night).

cato
02-04-2008, 01:34 PM
"Best team ever?" What does that mean? I thought that the thing about sports is who proves it or is lucky enough on any given day. Period.

But, if we must consider best, let's have a look. The Patriots were great at running up scores when they had things won. That is not even good, never mind best. Then there is Spygate, which again can't be good.

So what makes them the best? A classless team that cheats got lucky against the Colts and Giants and won games in which they were outplayed in the regular season (I don't know if there were other games in which they were outplayed, but in those two they clearly were; oh, Miami too, I think). Lucky to have been undefeated until when it counted and then they got smashed. Don't tell me the game was close, I actually watched this one and they, the Pats, were beat in every phase of the game, and soundly.

The score was close, but the game wasn't. On the biggest stage of them all, the Pats came up short because their luck ran out and because, in the end, there was no red flag that Bman could throw. (by the way, maybe they'll stop showing that play b/w Montana and Clark, it does have to give way, right?)

And, how can you possibly be the best when your coach, your head guy, decides to end the game on his terms, before the final whistle, because he couldn't stand to stand for a moment in the shoes of someone who was not going to win, and did not honor the game enough to hang around so that the game could end according to the rules that govern how it is supposed to be played?

Maybe Arlene could hold a hearing about that? Come to think of it, he is threatening to do just that. Ironic, huh?

Well said, greybeard. Much of the press building up to the "best team ever" declaration pointed to the dominating play of the Pats. But down the stretch, they really were not dominating. The Giants almost beat them in the last game of the regular season, and then Jax and SD made a game of it in the second half of the two playoff games. All wins, yes, but not dominating. And then the Giants really shredded the signature offense last night. The G-men deserved the win.

bluebear
02-04-2008, 01:45 PM

Glad to hear that you "actually" watched this one but feel comfortable commenting about the rest of their games. So, how exactly did they get lucky in their wins against the Colts and Giants? The only game that they were really lucky was against the Ravens...There is a reason that no other team had won all 16 regular season games..it's really hard to play well every week..luck or no luck..especially winning 10 games against those with winning records. Explain to me how they cheated in all those wins? No doubt, the Giants outplayed the Pats yesterday and deserved to win...but downplaying what they accomplished the rest of the year is an ignorant joke..

greybeard
02-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Glad to hear that you "actually" watched this one but feel comfortable commenting about the rest of their games. So, how exactly did they get lucky in their wins against the Colts and Giants? The only game that they were really lucky was against the Ravens...There is a reason that no other team had won all 16 regular season games..it's really hard to play well every week..luck or no luck..especially winning 10 games against those with winning records. Explain to me how they cheated in all those wins? No doubt, the Giants outplayed the Pats yesterday and deserved to win...but downplaying what they accomplished the rest of the year is an ignorant joke..

Manning the elder usually gets the ball in at the end, like his brother did yesterday, and had it in the rred zone and muffed it. Lucky for the Pats. In addition, if I recall right, there were a couple of uncommon misstakes by the Colts down the stretch that cost them dearly. The Pats didn't cause them; they lucked into them.

The Giants had them beat in the last game of the season. Everybody just took it for granted that the Pats' winning at the end was to be expected. By whom and why?

I don't remember things too well, but I caught part of the Miami game and it seemed that the Pats were done and burried there too, but that Miami imploded. The Pats did nothing outstanding to pull from behind in that one, is my memory. Is yours different. Since you are a fan, and I'm not, why don't you point it out?

Anyway, I'm glad that the Pat's lost because I found the running-up-of-scores classless, and believe now, as I did then, that it was designed to erase that which cannot be, and, g-d help us all, Congress won't let it be--that would be, the cheating. Spector is now looking into whether cheating helped them win a previous superbowl,right. The greatest ever, that can't be.

Just curious, after all those run-up scores, what did you think of Brady marching out in front of the cameras and saying something to the effect, "When I go out on the field, when any of our offense players go out on the field, we try to score touchdowns; that's what we are paid for?"

See, the reason why I'm asking, is that I found that statement an audacious, and I mean audacious, bunch of bull that insulted the games and the definition of sports that informed them in my time and I would like to think now still.

Like you noticed, I don't watch much football, haven't in the past 25 years or so after the Redskins won the superbowl in I think it was 83 and had like 22 guys on the injured list (it was also a great time to get on public golf courses, my fav was Reston National). However, because I don't, I do watch the talking heads. Guess what: not one talking head said, What a complete and arrogant jerk. Not one. You will agree he was, wouldn't you. What you think his coach at Michigan thought when he heard that? Wow, talk about being lead around by the nose; I was almost embarassed for the guy, but hey, you know, it was just football, and the spectacle in current times is sheer idiocy to begin with.

So, in the end, I found myself rooting against the Pats all season. In the superbowl, it didn't hurt that the Giants were dressing retro, and, watching Manning, if I let my imagination wander, I could see Y.A. throwing to Shofner. I have to admit, I also remember vividly that picture of Y.A., helmet off, bleeding from the head, when we lost to Chicago in the big one, in '63 I think it was.

This Giant run reminded me that one, when the Giants were great but there was always someone being a little better, a little luckier, in that last game. The Giants that won the previous superbowls, I rooted everytime against them. LT was a killer, or so it seemed to me, and Parcels a maniac like his protege Bellichek. That was no sport those Giants were playing.

Now, yesterday, that was a different story. And, yesterday, the best team won, by definition, as I see it, and also by what I saw on the field. And, like I said, it was not nearly as close as the score says. And Brady's having gone out there to mindlessly parrot the words of his boss after all those run-up scores, and the medias having given him a pass and made him into some sort of super hero for having done so, makes it all the sweeter. (Yeah, I know, he won three superbowls; we'll see what Arlene comes up with before I comment on that, but I can say that that doesn't keep him from being a jerk, which in my mind disqualifies him from greatness.)

Let the hearings begin! NOT.

bluebear
02-04-2008, 09:17 PM
Manning, the other one, usually gets the ball in at the end, like his brother did yesterday, and, if I recall, there was an uncommon misstake or two down the stretch that cost the Colts dearly.

The Giants had them beat in the last game of the season. Everybody just took it for granted that the Pats' winning at the end was to be expected. By whom and why?

I don't remember things too well, but I caught part of the Miami game and it seemed that the Pats were done and burried there too, but that Miami imploded. The Pats did nothing outstanding to pull from behind in that one, is my memory. Is yours different. Since you are a fan, and I'm not, why don't you point it out?

Anyway, I'm glad that the Pat's lost because I found the running-up-of-scores classless, and believe now, as I did then, that it was designed to erase that which cannot be, and, g-d help us all, Congress won't let it be--that would be, the cheating. Spector is now looking into whether they cheating helped win a previous superbowl,right. The greatest ever, that can't be.

Just curious, after all those run-up scores, what did you think of Brady marching out in front of the cameras and saying something to the effect, "When I go out on the field, when any of our offense players go out on the field, we try to score touchdowns; that's what we are paid for?"

See, the reason why I'm asking, is that I found that statement an audacious, and I mean audacious bunch of bull that insulted the intelligence of just about anyone who has played any sport at any level.

NOT.

They're obviously not the greatest ever...they lost in the SB...it's ridiculous though to imply though that going 16-0 is some average accomplishment or that it is somehow diminished by spygate. Maybe you didn't like the running up of the score but many other teams have done the exact same thing without drawing the same ire..I could contend that maybe they should have continued that approach for the whole season as their offense (which relied more and more on running) looked far less crisp in the second half of the season..Again, the only game the Pats deserved to lose (before last night) was to the Ravens..in that game they were lucky...They won the rest fair and square... against a lot of talented teams.

As for Spygate, the "report" on taping before the rams superbowl is based on one unnamed, uncorroborated source...would be quite a shame to jump to conclusions without any real evidence, don't you think?

Lastly, think what you want about Brady but if you listened to him consistently, you'd know that he is always respectful of his teammate and opponents. Jump on him for his comment on scoring touchdowns, but that is in fact what he is paid to do. He is a professional athlete..playing against other professional athletes.

mapei
02-04-2008, 09:30 PM
I think Brady's OK. I was rooting for the Giants, too, but mostly because they were underdogs, and I do like the Mannings.

I dislike Belichick, who just seems like a cold and bitter guy, although obviously supremely talented. And I kind of resent that Junior Seau had this whole tear-stained press conference about retirement in San Diego, and then signed with the Patriots less than a week later. Jeez.

As for spygate, they only got caught once, but the rumors have been there for a long time. I don't for a minute think they only did it once. Nor do I think they are the only team ever to do it, either.

greybeard
02-04-2008, 09:44 PM
They're obviously not the greatest ever...they lost in the SB...it's ridiculous though to imply though that going 16-0 is some average accomplishment or that it is somehow diminished by spygate. Maybe you didn't like the running up of the score but many other teams have done the exact same thing without drawing the same ire..I could contend that maybe they should have continued that approach for the whole season as their offense (which relied more and more on running) looked far less crisp in the second half of the season..Again, the only game the Pats deserved to lose (before last night) was to the Ravens..in that game they were lucky...They won the rest fair and square... against a lot of talented teams.

As for Spygate, the "report" on taping before the rams superbowl is based on one unnamed, uncorroborated source...would be quite a shame to jump to conclusions without any real evidence, don't you think?

Lastly, think what you want about Brady but if you listened to him consistently, you'd know that he is always respectful of his teammate and opponents. Jump on him for his comment on scoring touchdowns, but that is in fact what he is paid to do. He is a professional athlete..playing against other professional athletes.

I disagree with you about Brady and about what he is paid to do. They might pay him to listen to his coach, but that does not mean that he has to repeat a stupid party line in addressing justified criticism of what his coach told him to do.

What other teams ran up the score, before the Pats made it okay? I don't remember any. And, if it is happening in football, what can I say about a sport that holds human life so cheap--well, not life, just body parts, and then turns its back on crippled individuals who made the league the cash cow it is today?

College football. If they're doing it now, it's for the dough, and nothing else. Colleges would sell their souls, if they had one, to make one of those bowls. Just ask Donna.

Now, in basketball, you put guys in a game when it is out of hand that don't normally get to play, you want them to be able to show their stuff. You tell them to press, you're an idiot, in my opinion.

I haven't coached young kids in a while, but got out principally because I couldn't stand the values I saw coaches displaying--encouraging their kids to pressure young kids standing 45 feet from the basket when the kids were just getting their feet wet in the sport and the score was out of hand already.

That was before Phil Jackson lent his name to the Positive Coaches Alliance, and kids leagues all over require coaches to be certified in PCA principles before they can come near kids. I'm sure that there are more guys like that out there still; Brady only legitimatizes what they teach; besides, kids want to be like the pros, which makes Brady's statements all the more obnoxious, imo.

I'm glad the Giants beat Brady six ways from Sunday and put him down, what, 16 times. It should have been more. Brady failed on the biggest stage of all in the biggest game of all. You win or you lose, and he lost. He blew it. Period. They don't pay him to do that, do they?

bluebear
02-04-2008, 10:18 PM
I disagree with you about Brady and about what he is paid to do. They might pay him to listen to his coach, but that does not mean that he has to repeat a stupid party line in addressing justified criticism of what his coach told him to do.

What other teams ran up the score, before the Pats made it okay? I don't remember any. And, if it is happening in football, what can I say about a sport that holds human life so cheap--well, not life, just body parts, and then turns its back on crippled individuals who made the league the cash cow it is today?

College football. If they're doing it now, it's for the dough, and nothing else. Colleges would sell their souls, if they had one, to make one of those bowls. Just ask Donna.

Now, in basketball, you put guys in a game when it is out of hand that don't normally get to play, you want them to be able to show their stuff. You tell them to press, you're an idiot, in my opinion.

I haven't coached young kids in a while, but got out principally because I couldn't stand the values I saw coaches displaying--encouraging their kids to pressure young kids standing 45 feet from the basket when the kids were just getting their feet wet in the sport and the score was out of hand already.

That was before Phil Jackson lent his name to the Positive Coaches Alliance, and kids leagues all over require coaches to be certified in PCA principles before they can come near kids. I'm sure that there are more guys like that out there still; Brady only legitimatizes what they teach; besides, kids want to be like the pros, which makes Brady's statements all the more obnoxious, imo.

I'm glad the Giants beat Brady six ways from Sunday and put him down, what, 16 times. It should have been more. Brady failed on the biggest stage of all in the biggest game of all. You win or you lose, and he lost. He blew it. Period. They don't pay him to do that, do they?

It's just laughable that you are demonizing Brady as what it wrong NFL...

billybreen
02-04-2008, 10:31 PM
It's just laughable that you are demonizing Brady as what it wrong NFL...

Don't bother.

dukie8
02-04-2008, 11:00 PM
Don't bother.

yeah, with guys like pacman and tank out there, brady is everything that is wrong with the nfl!

greybeard
02-04-2008, 11:48 PM
yeah, with guys like pacman and tank out there, brady is everything that is wrong with the nfl!

Nope, he just behaved like a bore, which would not bother you, but I'm sure has not endeared him to many others, including many of the men whom he ran-up the score against.

Seems to me that the guy failed to produce in the biggest moment of his professional life. Am I right about that. You can be sad for the guy; I ain't.

I did like the Giants though. Did I tell you that Manning reminded me of Y.A. Tittle, who would have told ole Allie Sherman to shove it before running up the score on anyone. And, talking old school, can you image what Brett would have said if a coach of his tried to send him back out on the field to "do what they pay me to" when the game was out of reach?

I ain't hatin Brady, just giving him what he deserves; "don't start nothin if you can't finish nothin, I always say." Later. Say, you guys don't have a man crush on the guy or nothing? Sure sounds like it.

dukie8
02-05-2008, 12:06 AM
Nope, he just behaved like a bore, which would not bother you, but I'm sure has not endeared him to many others, including many of the men whom he ran-up the score against.

Seems to me that the guy failed to produce in the biggest moment of his professional life. Am I right about that. You can be sad for the guy; I ain't.

I did like the Giants though. Did I tell you that Manning reminded me of Y.A. Tittle, who would have told ole Allie Sherman to shove it before running up the score on anyone. And, talking old school, can you image what Brett would have said if a coach of his tried to send him back out on the field to "do what they pay me to" when the game was out of reach?

I ain't hatin Brady, just giving him what he deserves; "don't start nothin if you can't finish nothin, I always say." Later. Say, you guys don't have a man crush on the guy or nothing? Sure sounds like it.

he failed to produce yesterday? you are aware that he drove his team down for what looked like to be the winning score with 2:30 left? it's not his fault that the defense couldn't prevent the giants from going 83 yards. it's also not his fault that the giants defensive line played an unreal game and were all over him the entire game. do you actually think that there is someone on this planet who can pass effectively when he is getting pressure and hit nearly every play? if you know who that person is, please tell the jets.

i'm sorry but complaining about grown men who are professionals running up the score against other professionals isn't going to get too much sympathy. i haven't seen any quotes from other players complaining the brady acted like a bore this year. his coach, yes. brady, no. please provide some a link to some of these statements.

greybeard
02-05-2008, 01:58 AM
he failed to produce yesterday? you are aware that he drove his team down for what looked like to be the winning score with 2:30 left? it's not his fault that the defense couldn't prevent the giants from going 83 yards. it's also not his fault that the giants defensive line played an unreal game and were all over him the entire game. do you actually think that there is someone on this planet who can pass effectively when he is getting pressure and hit nearly every play? if you know who that person is, please tell the jets.

i'm sorry but complaining about grown men who are professionals running up the score against other professionals isn't going to get too much sympathy. i haven't seen any quotes from other players complaining the brady acted like a bore this year. his coach, yes. brady, no. please provide some a link to some of these statements.

It's called too little too late. He got his butt kicked all over the field; made no plays of any moment; got bailed out on a pass interference call in which the guy had no way to catch it unless he ran through the Giant defender (the ball was way underthrown), and he scored the same number of points as he ridiculed as being woefully inadequate and an insult in his before game comments.

History was on the line and the vaunted Pats play like patsies and the prince spends more time looking at the ceiling than down the field, and he didn't blow it? Choke? Or were they just overrated all along. Has to be one or the other.

Brady behaved like a braggert and a tool to a guy who in my mind has got some serious explaining to do to serious football people, and that would not include anybody in authority in the league.

I have to add that, in addition to the Giants of my early days, I was a Redskin fan until I realized that football had too many minuses for me to call myself a fan. That said, the Patsies ran up the score on my boyz and then Brady made those comments. My boyz might have lost by a lot, but Brady left more on the table than any player in history with a subpar performance in which he looked, for the most part, like a lost little boy who did not know what hit him. Real men, would be the answer, and there was not a g-d damn thing that Brady or anybody else on the Pats could do about it.

And, if I had to guess, there is one guy in DC who probably took more satisfaction in seeing the Pats go down than even I did. That would be Joe Gibbs, who no matter what he said after Brady's comments, I'm sure was "praying," unfortunately that would be literally (you'd have thought that the Skins had turned into some sort of revival group for the number of times Gibbs said 'the Lord this, or the Lord that" this season), that he would get another shot at the Pats, if for no other reason than to have his boys beat the snot out of Brady.

And that my diminuative little critic, is the way this Giants/Redskin fan sees it. You see it differently it's got to be due to a man crush; no other explanation, unless you're accustomed to letting opponents kick dust in your face and say thank you for their troubles. Me, I ain't that guy.

The subtext of all the talking heads I've been hearing, Mike Golick chief among them, echo my sentiments precisely. Players don't complain about someone running up the score; they get even. The next time you hear a non-Pat player say nice things about Brady that does not contain a sharper jibe, please write.

dukie8
02-05-2008, 06:36 AM
It's called too little too late. He got his butt kicked all over the field; made no plays of any moment; got bailed out on a pass interference call in which the guy had no way to catch it unless he ran through the Giant defender (the ball was way underthrown), and he scored the same number of points as he ridiculed as being woefully inadequate and an insult in his before game comments.

History was on the line and the vaunted Pats play like patsies and the prince spends more time looking at the ceiling than down the field, and he didn't blow it? Choke? Or were they just overrated all along. Has to be one or the other.

Brady behaved like a braggert and a tool to a guy who in my mind has got some serious explaining to do to serious football people, and that would not include anybody in authority in the league.

I have to add that, in addition to the Giants of my early days, I was a Redskin fan until I realized that football had too many minuses for me to call myself a fan. That said, the Patsies ran up the score on my boyz and then Brady made those comments. My boyz might have lost by a lot, but Brady left more on the table than any player in history with a subpar performance in which he looked, for the most part, like a lost little boy who did not know what hit him. Real men, would be the answer, and there was not a g-d damn thing that Brady or anybody else on the Pats could do about it.

And, if I had to guess, there is one guy in DC who probably took more satisfaction in seeing the Pats go down than even I did. That would be Joe Gibbs, who no matter what he said after Brady's comments, I'm sure was "praying," unfortunately that would be literally (you'd have thought that the Skins had turned into some sort of revival group for the number of times Gibbs said 'the Lord this, or the Lord that" this season), that he would get another shot at the Pats, if for no other reason than to have his boys beat the snot out of Brady.

And that my diminuative little critic, is the way this Giants/Redskin fan sees it. You see it differently it's got to be due to a man crush; no other explanation, unless you're accustomed to letting opponents kick dust in your face and say thank you for their troubles. Me, I ain't that guy.

The subtext of all the talking heads I've been hearing, Mike Golick chief among them, echo my sentiments precisely. Players don't complain about someone running up the score; they get even. The next time you hear a non-Pat player say nice things about Brady that does not contain a sharper jibe, please write.

your diatribe didn't contain any links to quotes of other players complaining about brady. i'm still waiting. if you want to make silly claims, expect to get called out on them. the other players are fine with brady so it is rather odd that you have a problem with him.

billybreen
02-05-2008, 08:27 AM
your diatribe didn't contain any links to quotes of other players complaining about brady. i'm still waiting. if you want to make silly claims, expect to get called out on them. the other players are fine with brady so it is rather odd that you have a problem with him.

Seriously, don't bother.

wiscodevil
02-05-2008, 09:10 AM

i think ur hating on the wrong guy. he wasn't all that bad, considering he got knocked down like 20 times and had no time all day.

the pats got outcoached, couldn't handle the giants pass rush and let the giants control the clock.

game over.

greybeard
02-05-2008, 10:45 AM
i think ur hating on the wrong guy. he wasn't all that bad, considering he got knocked down like 20 times and had no time all day.

the pats got outcoached, couldn't handle the giants pass rush and let the giants control the clock.

game over.

Outcoached? Really. If you say so.

I'm just enjoying hating on Bill's poster boy who had a big mouth and could not back it up. I could care less whether Brady played well in the loss.

They lost and I couldn't be happier. I enjoy calling the star a a sap because I believe he and Bill cheapened football with that running up the score business and Brady's parroting that it was the way the game is supposed to be played. I especially enjoyed that he literally got the snot knocked out of him.

Did he play well or choke? Who cares. The important thing to me and him is that he lost.

The guys here who are falling all over themselves to defend Brady's performance forget what it is that he said they pay him for; I counted 14 of em, which was too few to get it done. "End of story."

wiscodevil
02-05-2008, 10:53 AM
definitely.

They lost and I couldn't be happier.The important thing to me and him is that he lost.

agreed.

bluebear
02-05-2008, 11:07 AM

I'm just enjoying hating on Bill's poster boy who had a big mouth and could not back it up. I could care less whether Brady played well in the loss.

They lost and I couldn't be happier. I enjoy calling the star a a sap because I believe he and Bill cheapened football with that running up the score business and Brady's parroting that it was the way the game is supposed to be played. I especially enjoyed that he literally got the snot knocked out of him.

Did he play well or choke? Who cares. The important thing to me and him is that he lost.

The guys here who are falling all over themselves to defend Brady's performance forget what it is that he said they pay him for; I counted 14 of em, which was too few to get it done. "End of story."

Something tells me that, while disappointed, the same Brady who has won 3 Super Bowls and been in 4 by age 30 will find a way to recover from his "performance".

So, the same poster who writes "what can I say about a sport that holds human life so cheap--well, not life, just body parts, and then turns its back on crippled individuals who made the league the cash cow it is today?" also writes "I especially enjoyed that he literally got the snot knocked out of him" in the same thread...but don't worry, I'll take your perspective seriously...

greybeard
02-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Something tells me that, while disappointed, the same Brady who has won 3 Super Bowls and been in 4 by age 30 will find a way to recover from his "performance".

So, the same poster who writes "what can I say about a sport that holds human life so cheap--well, not life, just body parts, and then turns its back on crippled individuals who made the league the cash cow it is today?" also writes "I especially enjoyed that he literally got the snot knocked out of him" in the same thread...but don't worry, I'll take your perspective seriously...

You all take football seriously; I don't. You finally got the funny part.

The sad part, take a look at the cover story in the magazine section of this Sunday's Washington Post. Sad story about a former pro bowler, who played eight years in the league and can't blow his nose. I hope that the future is filled with such articles, until Gene and the rest of those bums who fall within the temple of the NFL stand up like men and start doing something to help those who have been maimed.

Why do I think that you care more about Brady's four superbowls before he is 30 than you do about the shame that ignoring the walking crippled bring on the league silently ever day? That is the reality of most football fans: it is neither sad nor funny, it just is.

So, I say let the games begin and if his snot getting kicked out of him is the worst that happens to Brady on the football field and in life, he, in my book, is way, way ahead of the game.

grey "I've had well more than a dozen major injuries (three knee surgies so far) playing sports, how many have you had" beard

bluebear
02-05-2008, 12:22 PM
You all take football seriously; I don't. You finally got the funny part.

The sad part, take a look at the cover story in the magazine section of this Sunday's Washington Post. Sad story about a former pro bowler, who played eight years in the league and can't blow his nose. I hope that the future is filled with such articles, until Gene and the rest of those bums who fall within the temple of the NFL stand up like men and start doing something to help those who have been maimed.

Why do I think that you care more about Brady's four superbowls before he is 30 than you do about the shame that ignoring the walking crippled bring on the league silently ever day? That is the reality of most football fans: it is neither sad nor funny, it just is.

So, I say let the games begin and if his snot getting kicked out of him is the worst that happens to Brady on the football field and in life, he, in my book, is way, way ahead of the game.

grey "I've had well more than a dozen major injuries (three knee surgies so far) playing sports, how many have you had" beard

Oh trust me, I get the funny part of your posts...but thanks for playing..

greybeard
02-05-2008, 01:23 PM

No problem; I think I see the good fellowship in yours and your boyz as well. :eek:

billybreen
02-05-2008, 01:25 PM

Just walk away slowly.

greybeard
02-05-2008, 01:33 PM
Champions, real champions, pick themselves off the canvas and return to greatness. Think Ali here. Whether it is worth it or not, who knows. Think Ali here.

We'll see what Brady is made of. He took an awful beating in that game, physically and otherwise. Were I football fan, I wouldn't be surprised to find that Brady's best is behind him. I also think that it will not take too long into next season to find out.

greybeard
02-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Just walk away slowly.

Nice touch, billyboy. Sooo, how should I say, manly of you. Yeap, that's you, a real man. Why don't you take your little inside messages to your guy friends off board. They add nothing of substance, and serve only to diminish.

tecumseh
02-05-2008, 08:11 PM
The press loves this greatest team ever hype but look at the record and you have to wonder. The Pats ran up the score on lousy teams and whatever you feel about it it was not something that Shula, Noll, or even Jimmy Johnson would do. The Pats played in a conference that is truly miserable and had 6 games against the Jets, Dolphins, and Bills. They should have lost to a very injured Colts team and the Colts finished the game with only two wide recievers so much for running the spread offense. The Ravens had them. Jacksonville was not so great and beat a Steeler team that the injury bug had bit hard and the QB had an off day. And then San Diego I have never seen a Conference final game with a team so depleted by injuries. Imagine the Pats without Brady, Moss and another key starter.

So the Pats luck ran out. The announcers and Pats fans love to dream about how "great" all their super bowl teams were but when you win by field goal or less luck has a lot to do with it. Remember the tuck rule.

77devil
02-05-2008, 08:56 PM
grey "I've had well more than a dozen major injuries (three knee surgies so far) playing sports" beard

Highly doubtful.

greybeard
02-05-2008, 09:07 PM
Highly doubtful.

figures.

77devil
02-05-2008, 09:17 PM
figures.

The hyperbole, aka bulls***, meter was off the scale.

greybeard
02-06-2008, 11:13 AM
The hyperbole, aka bulls***, meter was off the scale.

Not appropriate to respond by laying out my medical history here. Would be glad to accomodate you in private. I do wish it was hyperbole.

I will say that in a twenty month period beginning in the Spring of my Jr year in high school, I had my right knee straigtened by three days in traction in a hospital after it locked up in gym class (broad jump); same knee locked that August and had all the cart. removed; that Nov. or December tore liagmens in ankle and leg in cast and on crutches for 3 weeks and unable to push off or stop on the foot for several months; the next Nov or December (freshman yr in college) blew out my right knee completely and on crutches and out of commision for several months only it didn't lock and no surgery.

20-30, hairline fracture of each ankle, broken radial head in left arm (undercut going to the basket and sought to break fall with straight left arm), dislocated left shoulder.

30-50: several episodes with left knee that in two instances required surgery; incidents in which each knee "popped" and MRI showed ACL torn and considerable rehab work; bad fall on both knees that required 5 months of 3X a week; left wrist popped and took 5 months of conventional treatments (immobilization, cortizone shots, etc., orthopod refused to do MRI saying would only do so it couldn't stop pain because surgery would not be good).

I'll finish later, got to go to my osteopathic appointment: don't ask about back, hip, foot/ankle problems. Yeesh.

Yes, you can love a sport too much, sports fans, even you 77duke, whether you believe it or not.