PDA

View Full Version : Who's the glue?

Ima Facultiwyfe
02-03-2008, 09:37 AM
On most every team, some player is considered to be "the glue" that keeps it hanging together. We've got a bunch of guys who can come forward in a crisis, but, I'd be interested to know who everybody consideres the glue to be. I'm thinking they're a pretty sticky bunch from top to bottom.

Love, Ima

dukerev
02-03-2008, 09:39 AM
Some dude named Michael Krzyzewski is the glue.

speedevil
02-03-2008, 10:07 AM
the captain demarcus nelson and next years captain greg paulus are the glue to this team. i would like to see mcclure be the guy, but he's picking up too many fouls playing against them big boys down low.

Jumbo
02-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Gerald Henderson says it's Scheyer (http://www.newsobserver.com/738/story/919057.html).

Papa John
02-03-2008, 02:38 PM
Gerald Henderson says it's Scheyer (http://www.newsobserver.com/738/story/919057.html).

Interesting... I wonder how much of Henderson's take has to do with the fact that, technically, he took Scheyer's starting spot?

Personally, from what I've seen this season, we have three guys that I would consider 'glue' guys... 1. Nelson--he has emerged as a true leader this season, and a MVP-type player who sets the example for the rest of the team... 2. Paulus--whenever we've come out flat, Paulus has done exactly what he did last season when we were confronted with a go-to-guy void: he's stepped up to fill the void and given every ounce of effort and emotion, in essence trying to put the team on his shoulders and carry us until others step up [something I would argue he is not tremendously well suited to do, yet he seems completely unafraid to do so when nobody else will, which shows grand cajones on his part]... 3. Singler--despite the fact that he is a frosh, this kid is a legit star, he's tough as nails, and he seems to always have a quiet yet highly productive game, scoring in double digits, often leading the team in rebounding, and making himself a defensive force as well...

Just my $.02, from an armchair QB's perspective...

Jumbo
02-03-2008, 02:51 PM
Interesting... I wonder how much of Henderson's take has to do with the fact that, technically, he took Scheyer's starting spot?

Personally, from what I've seen this season, we have three guys that I would consider 'glue' guys... 1. Nelson--he has emerged as a true leader this season, and a MVP-type player who sets the example for the rest of the team... 2. Paulus--whenever we've come out flat, Paulus has done exactly what he did last season when we were confronted with a go-to-guy void: he's stepped up to fill the void and given every ounce of effort and emotion, in essence trying to put the team on his shoulders and carry us until others step up [something I would argue he is not tremendously well suited to do, yet he seems completely unafraid to do so when nobody else will, which shows grand cajones on his part]... 3. Singler--despite the fact that he is a frosh, this kid is a legit star, he's tough as nails, and he seems to always have a quiet yet highly productive game, scoring in double digits, often leading the team in rebounding, and making himself a defensive force as well...

I would agree with Gerald. I think Scheyer is the "glue." Nelson certainly holds the game together, but he has taken on a starring role -- he is now the other team's focus. Scheyer, meanwhile, is second on the team in minutes played -- coming off the bench -- without dominating in any one area. The guy provides a little bit of everything -- outside shooting, slashing, ball-handling, passing, rebounding, excellent D -- and often does so quietly. He's an incredibly smart player and opens up things for his teammates. I look at him as a steadying force.

I definitely do not consider Paulus to be a "glue guy." He's fiery. But he's not the team's leader -- that's Nelson. His role this year is of a spot-up shooter; a lot of the ball-handling responsibility has gone to the wing players in the "new" offense. And he obviously is lacking at the defensive end.

Memphis Devil
02-03-2008, 04:11 PM
I definitely do not consider Paulus to be a "glue guy." He's fiery. But he's not the team's leader -- that's Nelson. His role this year is of a spot-up shooter; a lot of the ball-handling responsibility has gone to the wing players in the "new" offense. And he obviously is lacking at the defensive end.

:eek: You can't be serious! While I don't contend with any of the other suggestions for a "glue guy" (they are all worthy candidates), Paulus is most certainly a "glue guy". In fact, I would go so far as to call him a "super glue" guy.

He is ferocious, tenacious, fearless....why he's supercalifragilisticexpialidocious (sp?)!!

Is he the most athletic guy on the team? No! Is he the best defender on the team? No! Is he the best shooter on the team? No! He is, however, a guy that gives every thing that he has every time he steps on the floor. He helps spark defensive pressure & offensive "spurts". He helps set the tone for energy and physicallity not to mention he has been pretty damn clutch these past few games.

Now all of this may not spell "glue" to you, but it certainly does to me!

CJ

speedevil
02-03-2008, 04:38 PM
i thought i saw paulus playing the 5 in a 2-3 zone on an inbound play against miami. talk about super glue

Jumbo
02-03-2008, 05:10 PM
:eek: You can't be serious! While I don't contend with any of the other suggestions for a "glue guy" (they are all worthy candidates), Paulus is most certainly a "glue guy". In fact, I would go so far as to call him a "super glue" guy.

He is ferocious, tenacious, fearless....why he's supercalifragilisticexpialidocious (sp?)!!

Is he the most athletic guy on the team? No! Is he the best defender on the team? No! Is he the best shooter on the team? No! He is, however, a guy that gives every thing that he has every time he steps on the floor. He helps spark defensive pressure & offensive "spurts". He helps set the tone for energy and physicallity not to mention he has been pretty damn clutch these past few games.

Now all of this may not spell "glue" to you, but it certainly does to me!

CJ

I think when people think of a "glue guy," it's someone who does all the little things that help a team win. I think Paulus' greatest contribution is the one that is most easily seen -- shooting.

Last year, for instance, McClure was the closest thing to a "glue guy" Duke had. On the 2001 championship team, Nate James was a "glue guy." On the 1999 FF team, Battier and Carrawell were "glue guys." On the back-to-back title teams, Brian Davis was a "glue guy." And so forth.

I love the way Paulus has been playing lately. But you can't say that his contributions are under the radar or that he's an all-around player when he struggles heavily on the defensive end and is predominantly a spot-up shooter right now (albeit a really good one).

Jumbo
02-03-2008, 05:11 PM
i thought i saw paulus playing the 5 in a 2-3 zone on an inbound play against miami. talk about super glue

I think you saw wrong.

Wander
02-03-2008, 05:36 PM
Is he the best shooter on the team? No!

Who's the best shooter on the team then?

SeattleIrish
02-03-2008, 07:22 PM

I'm with Papa John 100%, and for the first time I can remember, I'm left thinking "WTH???" after a post by Jumbo.

Paulus certainly seems like a glue guy to me.

s.i.

devildeac
02-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Scheyer. Has calmly adjusted to the 6th man role without apparent alterations in team chemistry/performance(except making it better, of course) and doing just about everything he is asked/expected to do on the court except play the 5. Of course, if we are forced to go REALLY small, I'd bet we see Jon at the 5 spot:D.

Memphis Devil
02-03-2008, 08:48 PM
Who's the best shooter on the team then?

I think Scheyer, Singler and King could all give him a run for his money behind the arc and Henderson has certainly proven himself to be a more dominant mid-range scorer.

Memphis Devil
02-03-2008, 08:59 PM
I think when people think of a "glue guy," it's someone who does all the little things that help a team win. I think Paulus' greatest contribution is the one that is most easily seen -- shooting.

Last year, for instance, McClure was the closest thing to a "glue guy" Duke had. On the 2001 championship team, Nate James was a "glue guy." On the 1999 FF team, Battier and Carrawell were "glue guys." On the back-to-back title teams, Brian Davis was a "glue guy." And so forth.

I love the way Paulus has been playing lately. But you can't say that his contributions are under the radar or that he's an all-around player when he struggles heavily on the defensive end and is predominantly a spot-up shooter right now (albeit a really good one).

To piggy back off of Papa John, Greg does do the little things. He is a go to scorer when we need one. Does his defense leave room for improvement? Yes, but what he lacks in lateral and overall quickness he more than makes up for in energy and tenacity on the defensive end. In fact, it is his on the ball pressure that helps create many of the turnovers that we get. He brings energy to the floor for every one to feed off of.

He reminds me of Wojo but with a better shot. Wojo was certainly not the best shooter, most athletic, nor quickest player on the team, but he set the standard for energy and tenacity and I think the other players were able to feed off of that. I feel the same about Greg and I consider that type of player to be a "glue guy".

CJ

IUGrad03
02-03-2008, 11:00 PM
To piggy back off of Papa John, Greg does do the little things. He is a go to scorer when we need one. Does his defense leave room for improvement? Yes, but what he lacks in lateral and overall quickness he more than makes up for in energy and tenacity on the defensive end. In fact, it is his on the ball pressure that helps create many of the turnovers that we get. He brings energy to the floor for every one to feed off of.

He reminds me of Wojo but with a better shot. Wojo was certainly not the best shooter, most athletic, nor quickest player on the team, but he set the standard for energy and tenacity and I think the other players were able to feed off of that. I feel the same about Greg and I consider that type of player to be a "glue guy".

CJ

Well said. One, when I think of a "glue guy" I never think of athleticism. Two, watching Greg this year has often reminded me of Wojo and the kind of effort they are both known for putting into the game (even if it doesn't always look pretty). My first vote for the "glue guy" goes to K, second goes hands down to Paulus.

elvis14
02-03-2008, 11:18 PM
Last year I thought McClure was that guy. This year he really doesn't have it going the way he did last year. I still love his game and his defense can be great.

On this years team, add me to the list of guys that agree with Henderson and believe that it's Jon. He just makes good things happen.

I really like this years team and the team chemistry. I can't wait until our next game!

wumhenry
02-03-2008, 11:22 PM
None of us is in the best position to know, but from the interactions between the team members that I've seen on camera, it definitely looks like Paulus is the alpha.

Jumbo
02-04-2008, 01:02 AM

CJ

We're going to have to agree to disagree, I think. I see no comparison between Wojo and Paulus. Wojo was a terrific defender. Heck, he was the National DPOY as a senior (whether or not he deserved the award is a discussion for another time, but he belonged in the conversation). I think Paulus would be the first to admit that defense is not his strong suit. It's not a matter of athleticism -- Greg just isn't a natural defender. Of Duke's five guards, he is the only one that is close to being a defensive liability. He rarely covers the opposing PG if the guy is particularly quick -- Wojo ALWAYS covered the other PG. Greg gets beat off the dribble far too much, and he has taken to gambling to compensate. At times, that works, and he creates a turnover. But often he gets beat, leaving his teammates exposed. I like the way Greg has played this year and I had his back in that silly Smith vs. Paulus thread. But I will not go so far as to praise his defense or to pretend that he is a tremendous all-around player. He is an excellent outside shooter with guts and energy. That alone makes him an asset to the team.

That doesn't make him a traditional "glue guy." Since the concept became popular (I'd say I first heard the term in the late 1990s), it has come to symbolize guys who hold the team together in a variety of areas. I don't think that Paulus fits that mold. Nelson is clearly the ultimate "glue guy," but he's also the closest thing this team has to a star.

Cali-Duke
02-04-2008, 01:55 AM
taylor king is crazy glue