PDA

View Full Version : am i a terrible duke fan?

houstondukie
02-03-2008, 05:03 AM
...for wanting UNC to win tomorrow. Don't get me wrong, I hate Carolina with a passion, but it's just that I'm so wanting to see a #2 Duke vs. #3 UNC game this Wednesday. I love this rivalry and its always better when both teams are highly ranked. If UNC lost to FSU tomorrow it will tarnish it a little.

Bob Green
02-03-2008, 05:10 AM
...you are not a terrible Duke fan. I too am of the opinion that the rivalry is what it is because both teams are consistently good.

blev23
02-03-2008, 07:38 AM
No, you're not a terrible duke fan. I actually want carowhina to win also so that they don't come in with a chip on their shoulder. If they were to lose to fsu then they would surely focus more on the small things that caused them to lose and that would make things a little harder on coach k and company.

speedevil
02-03-2008, 10:10 AM
i want unc to lose, becuase its unc. also if they have 2 loses, duke will still have the better acc record regardless of the outcome on wednesday and it goes a long way to winning the conference.

Lavabe
02-03-2008, 10:37 AM
i want unc to lose, becuase its unc. also if they have 2 loses, duke will still have the better acc record regardless of the outcome on wednesday and it goes a long way to winning the conference.

Agreed completely. NO one should want UNC to win, particularly given the ACC standings.

Having said that, it's FSU, a physical team against us, but also one with fewer top-notch players. I'd also like the FSU/UNC game to go into 4OT. Make them tired! Make them sweat! Make them cry!

Remember: Take nothing, give up everything!!:D

GTHCGTH,
Lavabe

kydevil
02-03-2008, 10:37 AM
No your not a terrible Duke Fan. You have a valid point, however there is no way possible while they are playing today I can root for Unc, I just can't imagine rooting for them!

allenmurray
02-03-2008, 10:51 AM
I understand your reasoning. But the day I sit in a chair in front of my TV and actually root for UNC to win is a day that I can only imagine in a horrible nightmare.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-03-2008, 11:02 AM
...for wanting UNC to win tomorrow.

Terrible? No. But you are seriously misguided and confused!

If carolina were to go 0-16 in the conference and lose on Thursday of the ACC tournament, I'd be very happy indeed. But true happiness is Duke winning the last game we play in the season, this year on April 7th in San Antonio, Tx.

But there is a reason why "take it one game at a time" is a cliche, and that's because it is true.

GO FSU! BEAT carolina!
GO DUKE! BEAT carolina!

RelativeWays
02-03-2008, 11:08 AM
The only reason any Duke fan should want UNC to win today is so the holes don't have extra motivation to play us hard on Wednesday. Actually I hope UNC wins by 30 so they'll be lulled into a false sense of security. Its all about strategy and morale.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-03-2008, 11:20 AM
Passivity is an under valued concept. Be passive during Carolina's game with FSU. Let the Seminoles do the work. Our team will encounter a more favorable situation come Wednesday if the Carolina team wins today but has to play a really hard fought, demanding game. Where is Nigel when we need him????

1Devil
02-03-2008, 11:55 AM
Not a terrible fan...just misguided. Go FSU.

BlueintheFace
02-03-2008, 11:59 AM
You are not a bad duke fan, but one thing that is really important to remember is that Duke and UNC could be battling for the #1 seed in the East (never leaving the state of North Carolina in the tournament until the Final Four). Every UNC loss, especially in the ACC, is very very important for this.

Everybody expects us to lose at Carolina and win at home this year so lets hope for a Carolina loss against FSU, since a win at Chapel Hill will be exceeding expectations no matter what.

killerleft
02-03-2008, 12:40 PM
You are not terrible, just wrong. Duke-carolina will be hotly-contested no matter what. As mentioned before, every heel loss gives us a better chance to stay close to home come tourney time.

I would rather have the heels be a little confused coming into the game, and a loss to FSU would serve that end. I would think unc is already confused, since much of the media, and certainly most heel fans, did not expect to find Duke looking down on their beloved team from a loftier spot in the ratings. A Duke win would really have them reeling.

Go Duke! Let the Coach K legend continue to grow!

And may the team with the silliest nickname in all of sports be mired in bubbly tar as they roast in Hell on Wednesday!!!!!!!

Classof06
02-03-2008, 12:48 PM
I definitely want UNC to lose today and it's a game I'll be watching. If they happen to lose today (which I don't expect but still hope for), that gives us a two-game lead in the conference, which would make Duke's life a lot easier.

At this point in the season, I think it's safe to say Duke and Carolina are in a race for the 1 seed and the chance to go Raleigh to Charlotte in the tournament. Any Carolina loss gets Duke a little closer to the finish line and vice versa.

devildeac
02-03-2008, 03:15 PM
...you are not a terrible Duke fan. I too am of the opinion that the rivalry is what it is because both teams are consistently good.

Bob, you have been sipping the Jason "I want carolina to be good" Evans kool aid a bit too much. I realize opinions/wishes vary greatly but I am of the old James Armstrong school where I want unc to be 0-30 every year(not realistic, I know but 8-20 would be fine, too;) ). I want 2 or 3 of their losses to be to us with our margins of victory of, say, greater than 20 points. One of the most enjoyable games I ever saw was with OZZIE when we sat in the next to the last row of the Dump on the Hump and we led by 40 with about 10 minutes to go and the light blue 'faithfuls' were fighting over each other to get to the exits early. OZZIE and I asked them to drive home safely and we walked out unscathed. Now, that was fun!

jjasper0729
02-03-2008, 03:20 PM
I am in agreement with you devildeac. i can never enter a tournament pool becuase i always have the 'holes losing in the first round.

DukeBlood
02-03-2008, 03:20 PM
IF UNC were to lose.. I believe it may take some pressure off of our guys..

UNC would have 2 losses in the ACC, So no matter what happens, Duke will be at the top of the ACC. I would be alot more comfortable anyway..

Now that FSU injured Lawson(I didnt see the play, but read about it from you guys).. Anyway, I may be pulling for FSU.. How can you pull for a thug team that wants to injure people, Even if its Carolina.