PDA

View Full Version : Duke MBB vs. UNC-CH - Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

BlueintheFace
02-02-2008, 10:41 PM
Time for the big Carolina game. My one burning question is- Which Carolina player has the best chance of lighting us up? Who is going to really get their points on us? Hansbrough, Ellington, Lawson, the 6 or 7 over-rated players that are also on the team?

OZZIE4DUKE
02-02-2008, 10:52 PM
Time for the big Carolina game. My one burning question is- Which Carolina player has the best chance of lighting us up? Who is going to really get their points on us? Hansbrough, Ellington, Lawson, the 6 or 7 over-rated players that are also on the team?

Light us up? Hell! :eek: They're all going to be on fire in Hell and not be able to shoot at all! The light will be too bright in their eyes for them to see the basket.

Sheesh! Rookie posters........ tsk, tsk, tsk

BlueintheFace, I see in another thread that you are a student. Welcome to the boards. Stick around and post often. Just so you know, the above line is said tongue in cheek. It's not a personal attack on you, or any other "rookie".

Uncle Drew
02-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Light us up? Hell! :eek: They're all going to be on fire in Hell and not be able to shoot at all! The light will be too bright in their eyes for them to see the basket.

Sheesh! Rookie posters........ tsk, tsk, tsk

BlueintheFace, I see in another thread that you are a student. Welcome to the boards. Stick around and post often. Just so you know, the above line is said tongue in cheek. It's not a personal attack on you, or any other "rookie".

Ozzie, ozzie, ozzie!!!!

To answer Blue's question, I'd have to say Ellington. Big game, going against former high school classmate, his floor etc. We need a good game out of Henderson, I hope Ellington vs. Henderson doesn't cancel each other out. Then again if that happens we have a lot more weapons at our disposal. If I had to guess which Duke player could have a big impact I can honestly see it coming from a number of places. If Singler plays smart he poses a big match up problem for the heels. And if King is on he could stretch their D to it's breaking point. Truth be told I'm just glad we have Zoubek back and available whether he plays a single minute.

HumboldtDevil
02-02-2008, 11:27 PM
The obvious answer to your question is Tyler Hansbrough. He'll "get his", as they like to say. A follow-up question to your orignal question that I think is even more important: How many points will Lawson and Ellington score?

If either one has a big game we could be in trouble. If both have big games, in addition to Tyler, Duke will have to score a lot of points. It's obvious that UNC has a big three that has to carry it against good teams. None of them had a good game against Maryland. Against Clemson and GT it was Ellington (36) and Hansbrough (27), respectively, that went off.

I don't think they'll all have great offensive games against Duke and I'm inclined to think that it'll be more important to keep Ellington from hitting his jumper and Lawson from driving. Hansbrough will score, but if we can just stay out of foul trouble and try to keep him from taking an insane amount of FTs it'll be good news. I have flashbacks to the 2005 game there when Sean May wasn't allowed to be touched and Shelden was hacked right and left with no whistle.

The Heels have gotten good contributions from the bench with the next four after the big three scoring between 6-10 in the close games. None of them are offensive studs, but the big guys could cause trouble.

Duke has to score and defend. UNC's three nail-biters were 81-81, 83-82, and 82-80 at the end of regulation. Duke is way better than those three teams, but if UNC is able to put up 90 points then I doubt Duke will win, not that I'm going out on a limb with that prediction.

Jumbo
02-02-2008, 11:33 PM
Ozzie has the correct answer. There are no lights in Hell.

ugadevil
02-02-2008, 11:35 PM
Q.T.!!!!!!!! He has the most potential because we shouldn't even waste our time guarding him.

kydevil
02-02-2008, 11:38 PM
Q.T.!!!!!!!! He has the most potential because we shouldn't even waste our time guarding him.

Agreed, I really hope Lawson doesn't get in foul trouble and Q.T. is forced to play major minutes. He scares me, he has to be the most Underrated point guard :D

Kimist
02-03-2008, 03:19 AM
...I have flashbacks to the 2005 game there when Sean May wasn't allowed to be touched and Shelden was hacked right and left with no whistle. ...

I tend to agree that if HansTravel goes off on us, things could get tough. A LOT of HT's success, or lack thereof, will depend upon the quickness of the whistles. IF HT can knock over people with abandon, and OTOH cannot be "touched" by a Duke player, it could be a very long night. The Carowhina factor can never be ignored.

And, of course, sadly we have no Shelden in the trenches this year.......

k

devildownunder
02-03-2008, 03:37 AM
I tend to agree that if HansTravel goes off on us, things could get tough. A LOT of HT's success, or lack thereof, will depend upon the quickness of the whistles. IF HT can knock over people with abandon, and OTOH cannot be "touched" by a Duke player, it could be a very long night. The Carowhina factor can never be ignored.

And, of course, sadly we have no Shelden in the trenches this year.......

k

I tend to think HansTravel (I like that!) will get his points and boards no matter what we do. It's how we contain the rest of guys, particularly ellington and lawson that will decide the outcome, in my opinion. Also, we need to do a good job of putting a body on the other carolina inside players, the garbage men if you will, from complementing hans's work inside with putbacks and resets. If they get plenty of those, forget it.

heyman25
02-03-2008, 06:48 AM
Danny Green because his dad got out of prison. That would be a Hollywood story. I have to listen to Vitale.He won't be able to go off subject as much I am hoping because of his need to use his voice sparingly.Hansborough will get his points. The key besides solid defense is making a higher shooting % than we have lately. Scheyer needs to take the open looks he has been getting and King needs to take his time on his release. He some times jacks it up too quick.

Buckeye Devil
02-03-2008, 07:57 AM
will get his points-and I like "HansTravel" as well. Will Kyle Singler be his cover? If he gets into foul trouble it could be a long night. But the key IMO will be Ty Lawson and how well Duke can defend him and keep him from pushing the ball and penetrating.

blev23
02-03-2008, 08:14 AM
Yes I'm pretty much a rookie to this site but it doesn't take a Coach K cloan to realize that we have no chance of stopping Psycho T. I think DeMarcus can handle Ellington. Nolan is somewhat familiar with Lawson having played at Oak Hill together and either Lance or Kyle can handle UNC's other big. That leaves Gerald to handle Green or Ginyard. We actually match up pretty evenly except for Hansblahblah. If we can get Markey, Nolan, Gerald or Kyle to drive to the basket and get the big robot in foul trouble then things would swing heavily in our favor.

1Devil
02-03-2008, 08:27 AM
Yeah, Hansbrough will get his, no doubt. Hopefully the same won't be true for Thompson and Stevenson.

Duke's strength is speed. UNC-CH has speed and size. But Duke can be a great shooting team. Outside of Ellington, I'm not too impressed with that team behind the arc. Maybe we'll see a little double Z action: zone and Zoubek.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-03-2008, 09:57 AM
The first thing I think about as Wednesday approaches is that Duke - Carolina games tend to have a life of their own that may bear little resemblance to statistics or trends of the current season. In addition to the various points already made, the level and quality of conditioning will influence the final outcome. Who's done the best job of preparing in terms of conditioning will become apparent in the second half. A third factor may be who has the hot hand in the second half. The final factor is likely to be foul shooting especially in the closing minutes.

Last night at the Miami game a suggestion arose in the section where I sit..... perhaps we should take up a little collection and invite Chip Engelland to spend some time working with our guys on their free throws....

weezie
02-03-2008, 12:37 PM
The first thing I think about as Wednesday approaches is that Duke - Carolina games tend to have a life of their own that may bear little resemblance to statistics or trends of the current season.

During yesterday's post-game interview K said just about the same thing. Referring to the upcoming game, "It's not the Super Bowl! The Super Bowl is tomorrow!" and went on to imply that everybody take it easy and simmer down with our young players. They already have plenty of pressure on their shoulders.
I so love K.

freedevil
02-03-2008, 12:38 PM
Carolina can go to hell, the lowercase kind of hell. I have no respect for their hell.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-03-2008, 12:51 PM
During yesterday's post-game interview K said just about the same thing. Referring to the upcoming game, "It's not the Super Bowl! The Super Bowl is tomorrow!" and went on to imply that everybody take it easy and simmer down with our young players. They already have plenty of pressure on their shoulders.
I so love K.
I didn't get to hear much of the post game yesterday, so I didn't hear all that Coach K had to say, but he's right on point. As for where I got my ideas, anyone who's been "an apprentice" in the stands for nearly 50 years is bound to learn something by observing! I started out upstairs when the tickets to individual games were $2.50, moved downstairs as an undergraduate where I sat immediately behind Coach Bubas and the team for a couple of years before trying different vantage points in the student section. Later I moved back upstairs where I asked for seats which have a good view of both benches and both baskets.

I think one of Coach K's strengths is his global view of each game. He's able to take all the stats, film and stop action, etc. and pull together an overview of what strategy is needed to win in each game. It's a gift to be able to extract that sort of overview and state it so simply and directly that anybody can understand it. His ability to be so cerebral, but down to earth is a good match for Duke. Perhaps a factor not mentioned often as a strength for Duke when playing many opponents is the intelligent play Duke players are capable of. That quality is always in the background.

phaedrus
02-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Duke is way better than those three teams, but if UNC is able to put up 90 points then I doubt Duke will win, not that I'm going out on a limb with that prediction.

Why would you think that? We're more than capable of putting up 90+ against UNC. How many games in a row now have we scored 50+ in the 2nd half, even while going into stall-ball? Do you think UNC plays any better defence than the other ACC teams we've played?

SilkyJ
02-03-2008, 01:06 PM
9F to infinity.

why do stop using the "to infinity" phrase when we grow up?

wisteria
02-03-2008, 01:33 PM
I have nothing more to say other than:

GO TO HELL CAROLINA GO TO HELL

ArtVandelay
02-03-2008, 01:57 PM
One man's take:

This game presents a unique challenge that Duke hasn't faced yet this year. While we've taken on several imposing frontcourts (e.g. Clemson, Maryland, and, notably, Pitt), for the most part none of those teams have had steady guard play to go along with their bulk. That's obviously why we were able to win going away in 2 of those 3 games - by forcing turnovers against shaky backcourts. Against Carolina, presumably the same strategy won't be as effective with Lawson running the point (although we did force 22 TOs against the Levance Field-led Pitt team).

The question becomes - if we can't force UNC to turn it over, will our interior defense finally be fully exposed? Are we capable of forcing Lawson to turn it over? I can't really see Paulus guarding Lawson, and we can't afford for D-Marc to pick up some cheapies trying to stay in front of him. This may be a game where Nolan has to play extended minutes. Perhaps another possibility would be to pressure/trap Ellington, Ginyard, and the other Carolina wing players and try to test THEIR ballhandling and decision-making. Obviously we can't afford to let UNC throw it down low and let Hans, Stephenson, and Thompson have their way with us.

Of course, the flip side of all of this is will UNC be able to contain Duke on the defensive side? Interestingly, Maryland, Clemson, and UNC are ranked 34th, 35th, and 36th, respectively, in defensive efficiency by Ken Pom. Duke was able to torch the two former teams (one on the road) - will they do the same against the shaky UNC defense? I think G could have a really nice game if Ellington is guarding him, and I'd like to see Singler take their bigs outside. Hopefully the shots will be falling wednesday, because the only way I see Duke winning this game is in a shootout. I just don't think our D can slow Carolina (specifically Hans and Lawson) down.

My prediction: UNC 85 Duke 80. Setting us up for the revenge game in Cameron. But I hope I'm wrong. GTHC!

superdave
02-03-2008, 02:01 PM
I think if we get "burned" by anyone , it's going to be these two guys. Hansborough will likely "get his", true. But if we let their either of their non-dominant big men dominate the paint or Lawson penetrate too much and create easy scores, then we've got a problem.

Unc has a problem if our wings are slashing and creating easy shots and 3 point opportunities for everyone. Duke is far more athletic than Unc, and we may use that to "burn" them.

But I think this game comes down to what Duke-unc games always come down to - who can force the other team to play their game. Duke needs to dictate tempo by creating tons of on-the-ball pressure and really help out/collapse on the inside so we dont let their size hurt us too badly.

Unc needs to impose their size and will on Duke on the offensive end - try to tire Duke out by making them play too much D, which in turn frustrates Duke's O.

I think the Devils come ready and the tempo bounces back and forth several times. If we come out of the gate strong, then follow that up with the types of 2nd halves we've had the past 10 days, we win.

dukestheheat
02-03-2008, 02:05 PM

Well, I do believe that any player on that team (and they think the same thing about us) is worthy of having a great game.

Also, emotion will be sky high for this one what with the confused memories of the HenderShot and all that.

But, I wonder if the Holes are slightly underestimating our guys?

Duke will have the mental focus and effort needed to compete (ie, we'll bring it for both halves) and initially, Carolina will knock Duke back. After all, they really are incredibly talented and we're on the Hole Home Court.

But I have a good feeling for this one as we have so many offensive weapons, and our defense will arrive as well.

The inside game goes to Carolina, the coaching advantage bleeds Duke blue, team speed is equal, effort and desire are equal, TV for this one is world-wide, folks it's Duke/Carolina, but at the end the Devils stand on their DEFENSE.

Let's go Duke!

dth.

pete
02-03-2008, 02:05 PM
This game will come down to Free Throws, Free Throws, Free Throws. 75% from the line as a team or better and we win anything less we lose. Markie and Gerald both need to shoot at least 70% or better from the stripe.

Go Duke!

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-03-2008, 02:14 PM
This game will come down to Free Throws, Free Throws, Free Throws. 75% from the line as a team or better and we win anything less we lose. Markie and Gerald both need to shoot at least 70% or better from the stripe.

Go Duke!

For many years, the seasons Duke has done well seemed to involve excellent free throw shooting. Big games often seem to come down to who's able to shoot and make free throws in the final 3-5 minutes. This year I'd say that the team who wins is also likely to have the better physical conditioning.

Oh, I hear the phone ringing...... Chip Engelland on the line.....

BlueintheFace
02-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Ty Lawson- High Ankle Sprain!!!

Ima Facultiwyfe
02-03-2008, 02:27 PM
Ty Lawson- High Ankle Sprain!!!

What indicates that it is a HIGH ankle sprain as opposed to any other kind?

Is that just somebody's guess?
Love, Ima

BlueintheFace
02-03-2008, 02:30 PM
No, I am watching the FSU game. Lawson is out with a high ankle sprain. That is the official report from FSN!

jjasper0729
02-03-2008, 03:16 PM
What indicates that it is a HIGH ankle sprain as opposed to any other kind?

Is that just somebody's guess?
Love, Ima

It's the location of the ligaments that are stretched. High (above the protuberance of the fibula) vs. low (below said protuberance).

the ligaments in a low ankle sprain (referred to as a regular ankle sprain) surround the ankle itself. a high ankle sprain refers to the ligaments that connect the fibula to the tibia.

for reference (http://orthopedics.about.com/od/sprainsstrains/a/syndesmosis.htm)

devildeac
02-03-2008, 03:39 PM
No, I am watching the FSU game. Lawson is out with a high ankle sprain. That is the official report from FSN!

You can bet the farm that he will recover miraculously from a near fatal injury and play extended minutes Wednesday PM. Many of their players have been shown to do this over the years:rolleyes: .

hc5duke
02-03-2008, 04:18 PM
You can bet the farm that he will recover miraculously from a near fatal injury and play extended minutes Wednesday PM. Many of their players have been shown to do this over the years:rolleyes: .

How dare you mock Ed Cota (or Ivory Latta)'s near-death injury caused by our players? Have you no shame? Cota was brave enough to come right back in the game AFTER Capel shot his free throws for him, and I'm pretty sure Latta's leg broke in several pieces.:cool:

pfrduke
02-03-2008, 04:23 PM
How dare you mock Ed Cota (or Ivory Latta)'s near-death injury caused by our players? Have you no shame? Cota was brave enough to come right back in the game AFTER Capel shot his free throws for him, and I'm pretty sure Latta's leg broke in several pieces.:cool:

This also happened with Ronald Curry - he was practically carried off the floor after a foul, Max Owens (I think) came off the bench to hit two free throws, and within 60 seconds Curry was back in the game.

heath_harshman4
02-03-2008, 04:32 PM
My question isn't who will "light us up".

It's who will Demarcus shut down?

My original guess woulda been Lawson, but if he is gimpy, I think you have to put him on Ellington. Or a little HS showdown with Hendo and Ellington?

365Duke
02-03-2008, 05:32 PM
This also happened with Ronald Curry - he was practically carried off the floor after a foul, Max Owens (I think) came off the bench to hit two free throws, and within 60 seconds Curry was back in the game.

As a kid, I used to listen to my mom and dad say the same things about unc players. So, the coming back (in the same game) after a near career ending injury (in that very game) has been going on since the 70's:D

DukieInBrasil
02-03-2008, 07:11 PM
I didn't think we'd be 7-0 going into the UNC game. We've played some inspired ball in the ACC so far and we'll need some more of that on Wed. The game is winnable for either team and it will come down to which team can impose its will on the other.
UNC has 3 guys that we must focus on with a cast of competent though unspectacular characters. I think Hanstravel can be controlled if we can control their guards, and principally Lawson.
Nelson's D against Miami is a good indicator of what I hope to see him do against Lawson. If he can disrupt Lawson enough, Hansfeetwilltravel will have a hard time getting into a rhythm, which is so important for a big man.
I think Henderson will be assigned to Ellington, which is a good draw for us b/c The Gerald is not a stellar defender but he is certainly good enough to prevent Ellington from going off.
I certainly hope Nolan can keep his nerves under control and his confidence up b/c I get the feeling we'll need a good showing from him. I'm not really sure what Paulus is going to be able to bring to the table in this game cuz he is not a good choice to defend Lawson or Ellington and I don't know enough about their other guards. I love Paulus and his tough-as-diamond-nails attitude, but if he isn't getting open looks from 3, I don't think he'll be doing much against Lawson if that is the matchup for Greg on O.
Will Duke be able to force an up-tempo game and TOs from UNC? Will Duke be able to force UNC to go small? Will Lawson handle Duke's pressure D effectively and prevent the Devils from getting out in transition? Will UNC be able keep its deep frontcourt on the court? Will Duke's balance be able to wear down UNCs trio of top-flight scorers? Will one of UNCs "role players" break out and have a huge game? Will Duke get top-flight games from one or several of their 6 different players to have scored 20+ this year? These are the games within the game that I think will determine the winner. These two teams are well suited to give us another classic in the Greatest Rivalry and the fact they are both Top 5 teams only adds to the potential for a great game. I sure hope they play up to their potential, and I certainly hope Duke sticks it to 'em in the Deaner. Go Devils!!!!

HumboldtDevil
02-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Why would you think that? We're more than capable of putting up 90+ against UNC. How many games in a row now have we scored 50+ in the 2nd half, even while going into stall-ball? Do you think UNC plays any better defence than the other ACC teams we've played?

In college basketball the odds are always against a team allowing 90 points and winning the game. And, believe it or not, just because a team like VT is better defensively than UNC on a game-to-game basis doesn't mean UNC can't be better on defense for a game. We know they have better athletes/players than everyone else Duke will face in conference.

I'm just using common sense here. If UNC scores 90-plus points on Wednesday I don't see Duke winning. The Blue Devils won't force 20 TOs and allow 90 points, so Duke won't reap the benefits of one of its strengths (forcing TOs, creating offense with defense). These two teams play at such a high level when they meet so that even when they're both really good on offense, defense will be played.

Claiming that UNC will likely win with 90 or more points isn't exactly going out on a limb and has less to do with what kind of team they are or Duke is than it does with the odds of any team allowing 90-plus points in 40 minutes and winning.

jzp5079
02-03-2008, 09:26 PM
got tickets to the game but I have a consumer behavior test at 8am Thursday Morning.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-03-2008, 10:21 PM
got tickets to the game but I have a consumer behavior test at 8am Thursday Morning.

What does that test have to do with the price of tea in China, or you going to the game on Wednesday night? Absolutely nothing, that's what. If you don't know the material by 8 p.m. Wednesday night, you won't know it studying another couple of hours either. Good luck on the test, but you should be studying NOW and not reading the DBR BBS ;)

tux
02-03-2008, 10:42 PM
Hey I hear that UNC has this PG named Lawson who shoots from half court and dribbles at 50mph and fire shoots out his butt. And he likes to pass to a guy named Hansbrough who is 8 feet tall and eats 100 pounds of grits for breakfast.

In the words of B. Cosby: Come on people!

This must be the anti-weauxing thread?

I hope Ty is okay and plays. And I hope, on UNC's first trip down the court when Ty sets up the offense at the top of the key, Paulus is there guarding him. I have a feeling Greg is not as scared of Ty as you guys seem to be.

phaedrus
02-03-2008, 10:55 PM
In college basketball the odds are always against a team allowing 90 points and winning the game. And, believe it or not, just because a team like VT is better defensively than UNC on a game-to-game basis doesn't mean UNC can't be better on defense for a game. We know they have better athletes/players than everyone else Duke will face in conference.

I'm just using common sense here. If UNC scores 90-plus points on Wednesday I don't see Duke winning. The Blue Devils won't force 20 TOs and allow 90 points, so Duke won't reap the benefits of one of its strengths (forcing TOs, creating offense with defense). These two teams play at such a high level when they meet so that even when they're both really good on offense, defense will be played.

Claiming that UNC will likely win with 90 or more points isn't exactly going out on a limb and has less to do with what kind of team they are or Duke is than it does with the odds of any team allowing 90-plus points in 40 minutes and winning.

I see what you're getting at. I guess I just don't like the implication that we should hope for a low-scoring game that will favor us. I don't think you intended that, but usually when someone puts a "cap" on the number of points scored, it's to make a point that we don't want to get into their run-and-gun game. I think we can and will beat UNC at that very game, probably with a score not too far from our 93-84 win against Maryland.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-04-2008, 12:09 AM
I was just reading a little column by Chris Collins over on the Duke Blue Planet web site. He wrote it as the team was returning from their 17 day break over the holiday period. One of his comments was that one reason for the schedule having that long a break was to allow the guys to return recharged and refreshed for the second half of the season. Carolina's holiday break was much shorter.

Fast forward to this week... it will be interesting to see what sort of stamina and endurance the players on both teams have on Wednesday evening.

Coach K is a master at bringing a team along so that by the time March arrives the team is at it best. I can't wait to see what he has planned for Wednesday!

sandinmyshoes
02-04-2008, 07:22 AM
The Lawson situation will obviously have the biggest impact on this game. If he can't play, or is less that 90% effective it's difficult to imagine a scenario that has UNC winning unless Duke has its worst game of the season. It struck me that UNC without Lawson and Frasor would be like Duke without Greg and Nolan, and that would give me nightmares.

If Lawson can't go it's Thomas. I've defended Thomas as a five to eight minute backup when others are dumping on the kid, but despite an okay game from him yesterday, he's just not a thirty minute a game kind of player.

And evidently Ginyard is playing with a turf-toe injury. He was going to play yesterday, but they were not sure he would start or get many minutes. I recall turf-toe injuries as being slow healers, is that right?

The scariest thing about this game for me is that so many indicators are pointing to a Duke win that it's starting to feel like a trap.

jjasper0729
02-04-2008, 07:24 AM
The scariest thing about this game for me is that so many indicators are pointing to a Duke win that it's starting to feel like a trap.

amen to that

Dukerati
02-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Whatever we do, let's not start out Kyle on TH. We need Kyle out on the floor and with his propensity to pick up early and cheap fouls, having him match up with TH (who leads the universe in fouls drawn per game, albeit unfairly) is not something I want to see.

My pick to go off? G baby. G. I think there will be a lot of switching on the perimeter to prevent Paulus threes, and Ginyard will be glued to Demarcus. The best matchup for us is isos for G against Ellington. I like our chances whenever that happens.

BAMDSALL
02-04-2008, 11:32 AM
As a newbie to the forum, I'm interested in some other opinions from fellow Duke fans re the seemingly kinder, gentler treatment of our team from the media. Is it my imagination, wishful thinking or the PR work done over the summer? What a contrast it will be to have Dickie V & Billy P doing the game!

DukeDevil
02-04-2008, 11:43 AM
9F to infinity.

why do stop using the "to infinity" phrase when we grow up?

9F to infinity times 2!

mus074
02-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Assuming Lawson is out or can only play at 50-60%, the game will obviously be drastically changed. And as I have alluded to in several threads previously, Duke lives and dies by creating turnovers and when not facing turnover causing teams. Let's see how UNC fits into this equation.

UNC's offense turns it over only 18.0% of the time, ranking 21st. The best team Duke has faced so far was Davidson, currently at 18.5%. And we saw the trouble Duke had on defense with them.

On defense, UNC creates turn overs on 21.6%, ranking a much more pedestrian 149th. This would fit slight above the median (21.1%) we have seen this year.

However, Lawson is a huge component. He personally turns it over on only 21.4% of possession, which is pretty low for a PG, and clearly gets the ball in other players hands to score, as opposed to their having to create offense and perhaps turn it over themselves, as evidenced by the low team TO average and his 42nd in the nation assist %age.

On Sunday, Quentin Thomas played 36 minutes and Lawson just 4. Let's break down the difference.

Offensive impact:

Quentin Thomas turns it over on offense on 48.1% of possessions, as of 1/27. For context, the next worst player on UNC is Stephenson at 25.5, Duke's highest is McClure at 25.0, and you'd be hard-pressed to find another player at that high a number playing any significant number of minutes anywhere in the country.

On Sunday, UNC had its season high of %age turnovers at 26.5% - they have only had 6 previous 20+% TO games, including the first three of the year, and the last of which was against Clemson a month ago. Since the OT squeaker win against Clemson, their percentages have been 11.5, 14.7, 19.0, 13.4, 9.7, 16.2, and then last night's 26.5. The offensive efficiency also took a relative dive yesterday to 106.1, the lowest number since... Clemson (101.7). Only three other games had lower Off Eff - Ohio State (93.0), BYU (99.3), and the first game of the season, Davidson (93.5). For those keeping score, Lawson played two minutes against BYU and sat out against OSU.

Defensive impact:

Yesterday, FSU turned it over on just 12.6% of possessions, well below UNC's defensive average of 21.6. Indeed, it was the lowest percentage of the season, rivaled only by games against Maryland (loss) (13.4%), Clemson (OT squeaker win) (14.7), Ohio State (14.1) and Davidson (15.6). Noticing a pattern yet?

A final few notes about the loss of Lawson (or the state of Lawsonlessness):

UNC's offensive efficiency is actually, and not surprisingly, highly correlated to its defensive turn over %age, indeed more so than to its own offensive rebounding.

UNC plainly likes a faster pace, but tied for its slowest game of the year against FSU (70 poss) and Ohio State (70 poss).

If UNC has to go with Quentin at the PG, Duke's chances are increased enormously, which may be the most obvious statement of the year. However, both Duke's and UNC's offense and defense depend heavily on the turnover game. And Thomas subbing for Lawson exponentially increases a favorable outcome for Duke in that most important factor.

N.B. We kept seeing Clemson show up as a data point for UNC's under-performance. In that game, Lawson played 36 minutes, but had 4 fouls, 5 turnovers, shot 13 times, second only to Ellington's 19, and made just 5 baskets (38.5% shooting).

mus074
02-04-2008, 12:42 PM
Duke is shooting 54.5%, 17th in D-1 despite not having a a low post presence (apologies to Zoubek who will hopefully be back soon and bring with him his team-leading 59.5% shooting from down low). Duke's lowest %age 2FG shooter is ... Scheyer at 51.4%.

UNC, with POY contender 6-9, low post guy Hansbrough, 6-8 and 6-9 forwards, and a quick layup generating transition game, is shooting 51.6%, 62nd.

Bonus #1: Who plays a faster game, Duke or UNC?

Duke's adjusted tempo is 74.4, 13th. UNC's is 76.1, 7th.

Bonus #2: Who gets to the FT line more as a %age of field goals taken, Duke or UNC?

Duke takes FTs 41.4% of the times it takes field goals. UNC takes 'em 39.3%.

Bonus #3: How often does UNC shoot a three: (a) a lot, (b) a normal amount, (c) just a little, or (d) astoundingly low?

(d). UNC shoots 3FGs just 22.4% of its total shots, ranking 340th of 341 in all D-1.

VaDukie
02-04-2008, 01:55 PM
Thoughts

1. IMHO, the biggest factor in this game is how we come out early. We've shown an amazing toughness these last few weeks in our ability to come from behind and play tough in the 2nd half, but with everything else going on in this game it's a lot of pressure to put on a still quite young team to make a 2nd half rally in CH.

2. I think from a matchup perspective the biggest factor will be our secondary guys. Who has a bigger game, Danny Green or Jon Scheyer?

3. Are we successful early and force them to play our style, going small and giving limited minutes to Stephenson/Thompson?

tux
02-04-2008, 03:29 PM
I agree with whoever stated above that the season stats/trends for both teams can pretty much be thrown out the window: the Duke/UNC game always takes on a life and rhythm of its own. Last year in Cameron, Duke came out and just killed UNC in the first half, but couldn't sustain the pace in the 2nd half. We know that this year's Duke team is much better in that department. I think the intangibles are with UNC: (1) home court; (2) Forearm-Gate; (3) the fact that Duke is one game up in the conference, so UNC has to win to keep pace; (4) the usual home cooking that will possess the refs at some critical point in the game (see 2005 game in CH as a recent and painful example).

tux
02-04-2008, 04:51 PM
I really think folks on the board are not giving Greg enough credit for his defense. (He's 2nd on the team in steals after DeMarcus.) He obviously lacks lateral quickness, and Lawson made some key plays in last years games, but let's remember that Paulus was playing with a bum foot. Wojo also had a hell of a time staying in front of Ed Cota, but Steve was a pretty good defender. You can't be as quick or quicker than every guy you have to defend, but there's much more to playing good defense than locking guys down. A lot of our players get beat off the dribble, just as they beat plenty of opposing players off the dribble.

In the 2 games last year, Lawson had
15pts, 4 assists
12pts, 5 assists
and, like I said, Paulus was not 100%. So all this talk about Duke having to put DeMarcus on Lawson (if healthy, of course) is crazy. Greg is a much better shooter than Ty, so he could easily outscore him...

mehmattski
02-04-2008, 05:00 PM
I really think folks on the board are not giving Greg enough credit for his defense. (He's 2nd on the team in steals after DeMarcus.) He obviously lacks lateral quickness, and Lawson made some key plays in last years games, but let's remember that Paulus was playing with a bum foot. Wojo also had a hell of a time staying in front of Ed Cota, but Steve was a pretty good defender. You can't be as quick or quicker than every guy you have to defend, but there's much more to playing good defense than locking guys down. A lot of our players get beat off the dribble, just as they beat plenty of opposing players off the dribble.

In the 2 games last year, Lawson had
15pts, 4 assists
12pts, 5 assists
and, like I said, Paulus was not 100%. So all this talk about Duke having to put DeMarcus on Lawson (if healthy, of course) is crazy. Greg is a much better shooter than Ty, so he could easily outscore him...

Agreed... for all the talk about how Greg can't possibly contain the quickest point guard on the face of the earth.... what about on the other side of the court? Will Ty Lawson be able to run around Kyle Singler's excellent screens and prevent Greg Paulus from another excellent shooting game? With so many drive-and-dish guys playing for Duke, will they try to take it to the basket and get HansTravel into foul trouble? Or will they neutralize the inside presence by pulling up for a jumper (as another poster noted, Duke's 2-pt FG percentage is excellent, particularly Henderon's).

I personally predict quite a number of pull up jumpers coming from Henderson and Scheyer... UNC is ranked 136th in the nation defending the 2-point shot (47.6%). Duke could also be backed by some 3s from Paulus and Singler (can HansTravel guard waaaay out there?)- UNC is good, but not great, at shutting down the 3 (31.8% against, 46th in the nation).

GMR
02-04-2008, 06:44 PM
I expect the big game to end in the 90's. I don't think either team can be very effective against the other's strengths; that is:

UNC: Inside play and TH

Duke: Dribble penetration and 3 point shooting

I believe the winner will be the last one standing.

GMR

captmojo
02-04-2008, 09:15 PM
...and I can already smell the rising stench of sulfur and smoke from the opening up of the nether regions.

I also will believe Lawson won't be playing if, and only if, I see him sitting on the bench in street clothes.

Hit your free throws Devils! Your chances will depend on it.

Go to Hell carolina!

whereinthehellami
02-05-2008, 08:56 AM
Officiating will be huge. How will the game be called? Will they let them play or will they call ticky-tack fouls. Which team will have the first impact player in foul trouble? I think they are going to call this one close from the start because of last year's game. I also believe that they are going to just pound it inside and that Singler will be in foul trouble for most of the game.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-05-2008, 09:41 AM
Officiating will be huge. How will the game be called? Will they let them play or will they call ticky-tack fouls. Which team will have the first impact player in foul trouble? I think they are going to call this one close from the start because of last year's game. I also believe that they are going to just pound it inside and that Singler will be in foul trouble for most of the game.
It will be helpful if the officiating crew who called the Miami game have a different assignment tomorrow night.

jzp5079
02-05-2008, 09:47 AM
What does that test have to do with the price of tea in China, or you going to the game on Wednesday night? Absolutely nothing, that's what. If you don't know the material by 8 p.m. Wednesday night, you won't know it studying another couple of hours either. Good luck on the test, but you should be studying NOW and not reading the DBR BBS ;)

Ozzie, I appreciate your encouragement. I have two other tests this week. One at three today, and one tomorrow. Its also a 3 hour drive from Wilmington, another 15-20 minutes for the park and ride and back. Gave up the tickets. My friends little brother though will be representing in full Duke attire smack in the middle of a bunch of old UNC doctors and lawyers as usual behind the basket. When he was younger the season ticket holder behind him apparently took his Duke shirt off of his back and made him sit through the game bareback. Hopefully he's learned better and will have body paint underneath just in case.

Bob Green
02-05-2008, 10:35 PM
I haven't been this excited for a game against Carolina since last year :D. I predict this game will go into overtime.

heath_harshman4
02-05-2008, 10:41 PM
idk....

I think Duke plays one of its best games of the year.

I think it'll be a game like the Davidson one. Where we get the lead early, and are never able to stretch it to put it away, but aren't really in too much danger, but its close....

I think it comes down to the three.

IF we can shoot the 3 well enough to cancel out their domination in the post, then we WILL win. We need to do that, and to run run run run and run some more...

I expect a good game, and a win.

godukerocks
02-05-2008, 11:27 PM
I haven't been this excited for a game against Carolina since last year :D. I predict this game will go into overtime.

A Duke-Carolina game in overtime is absolutely gut-wrenching.

dukie8
02-05-2008, 11:37 PM
did hubert just say that ellington is the best 6th man in the country?

Heelkiller1
02-06-2008, 12:32 AM
This game is one of the best games of the year and i hope the refs call it straight and let them play .If our bench can keep up the great work and we can stay out of foul trouble we got a very good chance at shutting thousands of tarheels supporters mouths and showing the country that this team is for real.GOOD LUCK BLUE DEVILS and GO TO HELL CAROLINA;)

mr. synellinden
02-06-2008, 12:29 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/seth_davis/02/06/duke.unc/index.html

He's assuming Lawson doesn't play. His analysis of the keys to the game (assuming Laswon doesn't play) is very good IMO. But, I think a lot of people are forgetting how hard it is to win on the road in the ACC. I mean, Lawson is a key player for them no doubt. But they still have Hansbsfdlkfsjal (from now on I am just typing Hansb and then smashing the keyboard with my fingers to see what comes up) and Ellington (two potential first team All-ACC players, one for sure) and a very big front line. Duke is defnitely an underdog in this game

Unfortunately, the non-Duke-UNC portion of the column contains some of his usual drivel, including his elation that Art Monk is going to the Hall of Fame (why does anyone reading care about that) and his opinion that he is a dork for having One Shining Moment on his iPod.

houstondukie
02-06-2008, 01:25 PM
This guy is overtly bias. On college gamenight, he gave the backcourt edge to UNC even without Lawson!

Paulus
Scheyer
Nelson
Henderson
Smith

Q. Thomas
Ellington
D. Green
M. Ginyard
W. Graves

Am I missing something? Even if they did have Lawson, I still give the edge to Duke.

Hubert Davis is a moron.

Dbluedevils1530
02-06-2008, 01:34 PM
I'm going to say......

DUKE 93
UNC 89

LETS GO DUKE!!

BlueintheFace
02-06-2008, 01:36 PM
Skip Bayless just said that he would want Greg Paulus on his college basketball team because he is a flat out great college basketball guard.

Hubert is consistently the least intelligent college basketball analyst on ESPN (yes, even worse than gottlieb). And I am not even saying that because he is a tarheel... though now that I think about it, his college might have something to do with it

DangerDevil
02-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Did anyone see the predictions on College Game Night. I saw Digger give our backcourt the edge and not suprisingly Hubert still gave Carolina's backcourt the edge over us even if they didn't have Lawson. I turned away before their predictions and was curious if anyone caught them?

BlueintheFace
02-06-2008, 01:38 PM
Lets be confident but AVOID making predictions for superstition's sake. Perhaps this is just my own superstition, but I think predicting a win is just old fashioned bad luck.

GO DUKE!!!

Indoor66
I'm going to say......

DUKE 93
UNC 89

LETS GO DUKE!!

Your prediction is exactly on the Line - Duke +4.

DevilDad
Duke 86
Orange County Community College 82

DangerDevil
02-06-2008, 01:39 PM
Agreed on both accounts. I turned away before Digger and Hubert's predictions for the games, could you recap those please?

DangerDevil
02-06-2008, 01:42 PM

Not that I agree with it but we are actual the dog by 4.

CDu
02-06-2008, 01:50 PM

Actually, if the line is Duke +4, then that prediction doesn't match the line. It'd match if the line is Duke -4.

Bluedog
02-06-2008, 01:54 PM
Did anyone see the predictions on College Game Night. I saw Digger give our backcourt the edge and not suprisingly Hubert still gave Carolina's backcourt the edge over us even if they didn't have Lawson. I turned away before their predictions and was curious if anyone caught them?

Both Hubert and Digger predicted UNC to win, although Hubert wasn't emphatic about it. Hubert said something like "if Duke can force a lot of turnovers, then I like Duke's chances, but if UNC handles the ball, they'll pull out the victory"

Wander
02-06-2008, 01:55 PM
Duke 107
UNC 2 (from some BS goaltending call)

hc5duke
02-06-2008, 02:08 PM
Duke 107
UNC 2 (from some BS goaltending call)

<hasbro>We're only going to score 2 points? OK. Is Wander playing defense? I wish he had said 45-42 and gave us a little credit for scoring more points.</hasbro>

Lulu
02-06-2008, 02:12 PM
DUKE 124
UNC 39

I don't think we're going to struggle from the field so much, and I think we're really going to push the pace. Tyler flails and gets 37 from the line, without even touching the ball.

Channing
02-06-2008, 02:26 PM
I did not hear it, but someone told me that Mike Patrick was reporting on his radio show that Ty Lawson is a go. This is second hand so I cannot vouch for it.

Classof06
02-06-2008, 02:32 PM
I did not hear it, but someone told me that Mike Patrick was reporting on his radio show that Ty Lawson is a go. This is second hand so I cannot vouch for it.

Doesn't surprise me one bit. Lawson ain't gonna play 35-40 minutes but I'll believe he isn't playing when I see him in street clothes.

And yes, as long as Hansbrough, Thompson and Stepheson are playing I believe Carolina should be favored. Whether Lawson plays or not. I was thinking Duke would be the underdog by anywhere from 1.5 - 3 points. 4 is a little much but it's the same as 3.5 so whatever...

Madrasdukie
02-06-2008, 03:24 PM
DUKE 124
UNC 39

Tyler flails and gets 37 from the line, without even touching the ball.

Funny.

The remaining two points: With 5 seconds remaining on the game clock, Tyler inbounds the ball to himself, runs the length of the court (without dribbling) and dunks the ball - and then yanks on his jersey like he did at Cameron two years ago !!

dukegirlinsc
02-06-2008, 03:32 PM
ahhhhhhhhhhhh.
i've been SO anxious all day.
i'm about to go to the gym for the 2nd time today, i can't find any more possible ways to kill time.

calltheobvious
02-06-2008, 03:43 PM

Mike Patrick has a radio show?

Yikes.

Channing
02-06-2008, 04:08 PM
I think it was Mike Patrick as a guest on the Mike Tirico show.

sandinmyshoes
02-06-2008, 04:18 PM
A UNC friend said he'd heard Lawson was practicing, but with an ankle brace. Take it for what it's worth, since he's not an insider and got the info via email so it's probably third or fourth hand information.

micah75
02-06-2008, 04:21 PM
Skip Bayless just said that he would want Greg Paulus on his college basketball team because he is a flat out great college basketball guard.

New-found respect for Bayless.

freedevil
02-06-2008, 04:30 PM
I didn't know Bayless said nice things about humans.

whereinthehellami
02-06-2008, 05:10 PM
Starters
Thomas 6-3 SR
Ellington 6-4 SO
Ginyard 6-5 JR
Thompson 6-8 SO
Hanny 6-9 JR

Reserves, over 10 MPG
Green 6-5 JR
Lawson 5-11 SO
Stephenson 6-9 SO

Notes

UNC shoots it 48&#37; FG, 76% FT, and 37% from 3.
Duke shoots it 49% FG, 70% FT, and 39% from 3.
Lawson is averaging 13.6 PPG, 5.7 APG, 2.7 RBG, and 1.9 SPG
Ellington is averaging 16.2 PPG and shooting 40% from 3 (making 42).
Pauls leads Duke with 41 made 3s at a 42% clip.
Hans averages 21.8 PPG, 10.4 RPG and is shooting 82% FT.
UNC is averaging 91.0 PPG, 44.9 RPG, 1.2/1 A:TO, 9.3 SPG, and 4.2 BPG.
Duke is averaging 85.7 PPG, 37.3 RPG, 1.1/1 A:TO, 8.6 SPG, and 4.3 BPG.

Outlook
I don't like the look of this one. It has a bad smell to it. I think a combination of foul trouble and poor shooting will lead to Duke chasing UNC the whole game. I see UNC by about 15.

Duvall
02-06-2008, 05:18 PM
Outlook
I don't like the look of this one. It has a bad smell to it. I think a combination of foul trouble and poor shooting will lead to Duke chasing UNC the whole game. I see UNC by about 15.

I'm not sure about the poor shooting. Duke seemed to get its outside stroke back a little last week, and usually seems to shoot well in the DESSAC.

Foul trouble is a given, though.

mr. synellinden
02-06-2008, 05:25 PM
I'm not sure about the poor shooting. Duke seemed to get its outside stroke back a little last week, and usually seems to shoot well in the DESSAC.

Foul trouble is a given, though.

I think the team that shoots better from the free throw line will win.

We might play more zone than usual.

I like Scheyer to snap out of his little slump and have at least 15 points.

I expect us to press off made baskets at leat 25% of the time, and more so in the second half.

I think Singler's game will be a good barometer of how well we play and whether we win.

BDP
02-06-2008, 06:01 PM
i say 3-1!! Im gonna be pissed if I miss one second of the game!!

mgtr
02-06-2008, 06:14 PM
Aha! There appears to be at least one advantage to being forced to watch on Raycom/LF -- no Big East games wiping out the start!

devildeac
02-06-2008, 06:21 PM
Duke #2 vs. unc #3. at the Dump on the Hump. undefeated in the acc. 'revenge' vs. GH. 'injured' point guard. this is just too good a chance/set-up for the holes. bad guys-90, good guys-81 with LT, DM and KS fouling out and hanshuffle shooting 16 FT(unc shooting 30) and Duke shooting only 15 FT. he will get called for travelling once, however, to show that unc does not get ALL the call.

365Duke
02-06-2008, 06:38 PM
from GoDuke.com

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1382632

• 5 Five Blue Devils (DeMarcus Nelson, Gerald Henderson, Kyle Singler, Jon Scheyer & Greg Paulus) are averaging double-figures in scoring this season. Only six previous Duke teams (1957-58, 1990-91, 1991-92, 1999-2000, 2000-01 & 2003-04) have had five double-figure scorers for the season. Clemson and Florida State are the only other ACC schools with five double-figure scorers this season.

Hmmmmm. 90-91.....91-92.....00-01..... Hmmmmmm:D

mr. synellinden
02-06-2008, 06:56 PM
ESPN will show the start of the game on another network. ESPN U or ESPN News. They have hyped this game too much to pre-empt the first 7-10 minutes of game time like has happend a few times recently.

Dukebacker
02-06-2008, 07:06 PM
About two hours until the tip-off.

GTHC

Let's get the lead early on. Keep it and maintain it through the second half.

shadowfax336
02-06-2008, 07:16 PM
http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080206/SPORTS/80206076

I think we can expect to see him...

jjasper0729
02-06-2008, 07:45 PM
the maryland/boston college game is on espnU

mgtr
02-06-2008, 08:06 PM
ESPN will show the start of the game on another network. ESPN U or ESPN News. They have hyped this game too much to pre-empt the first 7-10 minutes of game time like has happend a few times recently.

Very good point. They have done that before.

MikeS
02-06-2008, 08:10 PM
I wouldn't be suprised if he plays either way. If he does play Roy will probably start Thomas then bring in Lawson in for the crowd to getting going.

Predictions:

(w/Lawson) Duke 88 UNC 83
(w/o Lawson) Duke 92 UNC 78

Nelson 22
Singler/Henderson 17each
Paulus 14

Handsburuuuuu 24
Ellington 14
Green 11

Clipsfan
02-06-2008, 08:25 PM
Of course it's a tie game with 10 minutes left...

Lotus000
02-06-2008, 08:27 PM
HA! I actually signed on tonight to start this thread, but you beat me to it!! Lawl.

There's always a decent chance that these stupid Big-East teams will drag it into yet another long, slow, boring, and overtime game. As of 9:30 in the 2d, it's 46-44, and they're both looking like a bunch of turtles crawling around...'

Watching Big-East basketball is like rubber-necking at a train wreck, seriously.

dukepsy1963
02-06-2008, 08:31 PM
too anxious to write during the game.....
Clear skies here in the mountains....
Birds are quiet and ready....my cats are dressed out and ready, wife is ready...I am ready.............
Let's go....

Lets do it............
Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Section 8
02-06-2008, 08:35 PM
You heard me...25 minutes left.

watzone
02-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Lawson is dressed and participating in lay up drills. I have said it for days. Toy will bring him off the bench for a lift and he will go the rest of the way, save a minute or two.

Clipsfan
02-06-2008, 08:38 PM
I hate rooting for UConn, but at this point I've resorted to hoping that they continue to pull away so that the game ends soon.

They've really turned it on the last 3 weeks or so, they might actually be scary come March.

devildeac
02-06-2008, 08:41 PM
Lawson is dressed and participating in lay up drills. I have said it for days. Toy will bring him off the bench for a lift and he will go the rest of the way, save a minute or two.

what a surprise:rolleyes: . The only surprise is that he is in lay-up drills now and not in an ambulance, on a hospital bed, in traction, in a cast and with crutches waiting at the entrance to the dump on the hump for his name to be announced as a starter(or to be subbed in at the 1st TV TO). What a bunch of low-life sand-baggers!

BD80
02-06-2008, 08:42 PM
Lawson is having "a little trouble cutting" but will play.

SANDBAGGER

dukestheheat
02-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Lawson is having "a little trouble cutting" but will play.

SANDBAGGER

Certainly, I hope he's OK as I never want to see anyone hurt, but they could be playing with fire playing him. He will probably hurt it again or make it worse; at any rate, the swelling on that ankle will be incredible. I don't see him playing at half-speed for the majority of this game.

dth.

Section 8
02-06-2008, 08:47 PM
what a surprise:rolleyes: . The only surprise is that he is in lay-up drills now and not in an ambulance, on a hospital bed, in traction, in a cast and with crutches waiting at the entrance to the dump on the hump for his name to be announced as a starter(or to be subbed in at the 1st TV TO). What a bunch of low-life sand-baggers!

Bah! Give 'em their pathetic sandbagging. If we saw through it, K saw through it before it happened. It won't affect the outcome.

3rd Dukie
02-06-2008, 08:52 PM
The odds just went up!!

Section 8
02-06-2008, 08:54 PM
9F uber alles!

hc5duke
02-06-2008, 08:54 PM
cmon syracuse, go for a 3!!

SeattleIrish
02-06-2008, 08:55 PM
According to "Woody", the Heel's game announcer, Ty will NOT play tonight.

This quote is from IC:

"Confirmed twice on the THSN, officiallly Lawson is not available to play."

He's supposed to dress, but won't play.

No idea who's right, but the game announcer should know, IMO.

s.i.

Duvall
02-06-2008, 08:57 PM
According to "Woody", the Heel's game announcer, Ty will NOT play tonight.

This quote is from IC:

"Confirmed twice on the THSN, officiallly Lawson is not available to play."

He's supposed to dress, but won't play.

No idea who's right, but the game announcer should know, IMO.

s.i.

Woody should know, but he may not say.

This could *still* be a ruse.

tbyers11
02-06-2008, 08:57 PM
ESPN is also reporting that Lawson will not play

Lotus000
02-06-2008, 09:14 PM
In the DC area (and I'm sure the Triangle, maybe) ESPN's coverage is blacked out, and the Raycom HD feed has NO COMMENTATORS. wtf?

bigj4194
02-06-2008, 09:23 PM
How many uncalled travels have there been on hasnblahblah tonight...im up to 4 so far?

grannyduke
02-06-2008, 09:32 PM
They're back. I think I liked it better without them.

Lotus000
02-06-2008, 09:45 PM
Yeah finally...it's Packer, so I'm not a huge fan, but they obviously have more insight on the game than I do.

T.Sellers
02-06-2008, 09:49 PM
The entire broadcast is blacked out here in Gainesville. Any suggestions on how to catch the game online or anything?

bigj4194
02-06-2008, 09:56 PM
espn360 has it

loran16
02-06-2008, 09:56 PM
How many uncalled travels have there been on hasnblahblah tonight...im up to 4 so far?

The refs havent called much on either team, though they got looser with the whistles as it got later in the half.

I was shocked they called 1 travel at all.

T.Sellers
02-06-2008, 09:57 PM
My ISP doesn't provide it :( Thanks for the idea though

vango
02-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Grrrr.....they finished the half like we normally finish the half :mad:

jlear
02-06-2008, 10:00 PM

With all the crap I hear about Duke flopping, I have a new name for UNC's favorite son:

hansflopperwalker

GO TO HELL, CAROLINA, GO TO HELL!

Shammrog
02-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Yeah finally...it's Packer, so I'm not a huge fan, but they obviously have more insight on the game than I do.

Again, its Billy Packer. Don't bet on it.

Karl Beem
02-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Why is he dressed if he won't play?

banneheim
02-06-2008, 10:02 PM
I don't get it why Shelden was always called for the offensive foul when making contact but when hasblah does it, it's ok.

jlear
02-06-2008, 10:03 PM

He came out and warmed up, i assume that is when they decided he couldn't go. I would not be surprised to see him late in the 2nd half when we are up BIG!

watzone
Duke went 3:40 without scoring at the end. The Heels likely have their confidence back. Duke needs to hit or the misses will get in their heads. Need to keep the pace break neck. It keeps them off balance.

jjasper0729

apparently, he had tried to "give it a go" in warm ups but couldn't put weight on it enough to shoot and drive

_Gary
02-06-2008, 10:04 PM
I've counted 3 or 4 travels as well, but we all know he's not gonna get called for them so I'm pretty much numb to it at this point. Hated that Taylor didn't see the floor at all, if for no other reason than because I believe our only real shot to win is to keep constant pressure on the perimeter. And that's going to take fresh bodies. Dropping the rotation down by one doesn't do that, IMHO.

And once again, Jay Bilas doesn't disappoint me with analysis that is only from a UNC viewpoint. It was all about what UNC needed to do; how UNC had "weathered" the Duke 3-point shooting storm; how UNC wasn't the same team without Lawson; how UNC was actually in good shape. Geesh, his halftime report was like listening to a guy that was analyzing from the Tar Heel network. I know he's in a bad spot, but I still think he goes too far in the other direction in order to appear unbiased. Analysis from a national network shouldn't be one-sided.

Gary

wumhenry
02-06-2008, 10:06 PM
If that Raycom signal is HD it's the crappiest HD ever. :mad:

jlear
02-06-2008, 10:07 PM
If that Raycom signal is HD it's the crappiest HD ever. :mad:

It looks good here in Raleigh.

Karl Beem
02-06-2008, 10:07 PM
I've counted 3 or 4 travels as well, but we all know he's not gonna get called for them so I'm pretty much numb to it at this point. Hated that Taylor didn't see the floor at all, if for no other reason than because I believe our only real shot to win is to keep constant pressure on the perimeter. And that's going to take fresh bodies. Dropping the rotation down by one doesn't do that, IMHO.

And once again, Jay Bilas doesn't disappoint me with analysis that is only from a UNC viewpoint. It was all about what UNC needed to do; how UNC had "weathered" the Duke 3-point shooting storm; how UNC wasn't the same team without Lawson; how UNC was actually in good shape. Geesh, his halftime report was like listening to a guy that was analyzing from the Tar Heel network. I know he's in a bad spot, but I still think he goes too far in the other direction in order to appear unbiased. Analysis from a national network shouldn't be one-sided.

Gary

Someone needs to tell him that, considering the attention span of the average sports fan, few people connect him with the Duke program anymore. He can relax.

Karl Beem
02-06-2008, 10:08 PM
It looks good here in Raleigh.

Same in Atlanta.

duke211
02-06-2008, 10:09 PM
hansblaa is scoring way to easy, I dont know if we can keep the three pace up, we need to hit free throws

cajundevil74
02-06-2008, 10:10 PM
Raycom is crap! Same graphics since 1985. Ridiculous.

captmojo
Stop missing free throws!!!!!

Kimist
With all the crap I hear about Duke flopping, I have a new name for UNC's favorite son:

hansflopperwalker

Actually, that should be Hans FlopperTravel, but good enough!:p

Meanwhile, I don't know what is getting my blood pressure higher. Listening to Billy Packer (RDU area) or enduring the crowd/player shots after each made basket. Hint to TV guys: There IS a game going on.

I did not like the way the first half ended....giving the heels any kind of momentum is not good....those several missed foul shots could be an omen.

Good luck to the Devils!

ehdg
02-06-2008, 10:11 PM
Duke went 3:40 without scoring at the end. The Heels likely have their confidence back. Duke needs to hit or the misses will get in their heads. Need to keep the pace break neck. It keeps them off balance.

Very un Duke like. Typically we close out halves well but this drought really did hurt us. It's given unc some momentum and they are feeling very confident again. We where up 11 there and had a real chance to really get them on their heels and maybe even knock them out. We need to come back out fired up and start scoring again. Sadly the last few years we've had droughts for extended minn's and need to find a way to stop this from occuring.

_Gary
02-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Here we go with the foul calls on every UNC drive.

_Gary
02-06-2008, 10:19 PM
Thanks refs. Thanks a lot. What bullcrap!!!!!!! 4 fouls on our captain before we even get to the first timeout.

bigj4194
02-06-2008, 10:22 PM
what the hell was that? the basket and a foul on demarc? that is the biggest BS call i have seen yet!

throatybeard
02-06-2008, 10:22 PM
Yes, it's always the refs' fault. :rolleyes:

_Gary
02-06-2008, 10:25 PM
Yes, it's always the refs' fault. :rolleyes:

No, not always. But that call on DeMarcus was bull.

_Gary
02-06-2008, 10:29 PM
Oh my Lord! Hans got called for a travel. Whoopie!

_Gary
02-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Oh my. Please tell me Kyle didn't just get hurt. Like a twisted knee or something. :eek: Walk it off, Kyle. Walk it off.

FreezingDevil
02-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Oh my Lord! Hans got called for a travel. Whoopie!

The planets have aligned

brumby041
02-06-2008, 10:33 PM
Holy crap! Note the time: 12:21!

Hanstravel actually got called for traveling!

Did that ref not get the memo?

pete
02-06-2008, 10:34 PM
Does Demarcus have 3 or 4 fouls?

3rd Dukie
02-06-2008, 10:37 PM

4 four

_Gary
02-06-2008, 10:37 PM

The ESPN announcers said he had 4. That's why I personally went so crazy a few posts back. If it was only his third, it's not that bad. But if it was his fourth, it was a terribly ticky-tack foul to call.

pete
02-06-2008, 10:45 PM
Thanks Gary espnsports.com and cbssports.com and yahoo all say 3 I hope its 3.

Karl Beem
02-06-2008, 10:54 PM
Singler and LT have been great!:D

_Gary
02-06-2008, 10:54 PM
I really hope our atrocious free throw shooting doesn't cost us this game. We will win if we can hit FT's late. So far it hasn't happened though, and the window that should be nearly closed is still wide open for UNC to make the comeback.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-06-2008, 10:56 PM
I really hope our atrocious free throw shooting doesn't cost us this game. We will win if we can hit FT's late. So far it hasn't happened though, and the window that should be nearly closed is still wide open for UNC to make the comeback.
Bob Harris says Duke is shooting 70% as a team on free throws this season.... better than I thought.

_Gary
02-06-2008, 11:00 PM
Does it look like our guys (and theirs) are gassed? I'm worried we aren't going to have enough in the tank to finish this game off.

wilko
02-06-2008, 11:00 PM
Singler and LT have been great!:D

YES they have... weve grown to expect that from Singler.
Lance is STEPPING up BIG!

Karl Beem
02-06-2008, 11:02 PM
Ball game!:)

_Gary
02-06-2008, 11:07 PM
Decent job making the FTs late. Might be enough to hold off UNC. Or maybe not after a silly turnover. Very sloppy play because we are dead dog tired! It might cost us this game. Dang!

wilko
02-06-2008, 11:08 PM
Ball game!:)

dont jinx it