PDA

View Full Version : Man of the Match vs. Miami

Jumbo
02-02-2008, 06:00 PM
Who was the Man of the Match vs. Miami?

Karl Beem
02-02-2008, 06:03 PM
Once again, our Captain. Also once again, Singler does so much more in the 2nd half.

mapei
02-02-2008, 06:06 PM
I vote for DM, but props also to Greg and Kyle.

Madrasdukie
02-02-2008, 06:07 PM
Nelson.
His offense, assists, and rebounds aside, his defense makes me feel so much more confident about our team.

ArkieDukie
02-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Great game from the Captain. He really set the tone at the beginning of the 2nd half.

Pam
02-02-2008, 06:11 PM
I was really glad to see Nelson get his props today and the Player of the Game award. WE know what he means to the team, but it seems his contributions - so often on the defensive end - go overlooked by some. He WAS the man today!!!

Bob Green
02-02-2008, 06:14 PM
Nelson led the big run at the start of the second half, which was the key time of the game.

Pam
02-02-2008, 06:14 PM
Should have read this thread before I started the props to Nelson thread! Man of the Game, IMO. Beautiful to see.

pete
02-02-2008, 06:21 PM
The Captain dominated every facet of the game in the second half. A couple steals, 7 of 8 from the line after a rough start, 19 points, and led our team in steals, assists, rebounds, points, and had no turnovers. An obvious 1st team All-ACC player who is averaging 18.1ppg/5.0 rpg/2.2 spg in ACC play. Also, how about the 1st half Greg had. I enjoy watching the resurgence of our PG.

CDu
02-02-2008, 06:29 PM
First half player of the game: Paulus. His shooting was fantastic early.

Second half player of the game: Nelson. His defense on McClinton and his scoring and rebounding was huge.

Overall: Nelson.

Solid second half by Singler as well.

Gritty win. Miami played tough. We dominated them in the first half in everything but the scoreboard. We got good looks at the basket and lots of free throw attempts. But we just couldn't seem to convert the layups/dunks or free throws, so Miami hung around.

merry
02-02-2008, 06:39 PM
Coulda gone either way, Nelson had a great game and is one tough guy, but I ended up voting for Kyle.

wisteria
02-02-2008, 06:42 PM
I voted Nelson, not only for his excellent offensive game in the 2nd half but also for his mighty defense which shut down McClinton

Paulus was great in the first half. His outside shooting kept us in the first half.

billybreen
02-02-2008, 07:05 PM
There's a lot of balance on this team, and it seems like someone always steps up big to lead us. Super fun to watch.

Lotus000
02-02-2008, 07:14 PM
DeMarcus was just a MAN tonight. Great job with those arms in passing lanes, good finishes on the steals, and he was a huge defensive presence.

Also props to Paulus, for what, lately, has become some super physical, in-your-face play. He's not backing down from anybody, and it's awesome.

In general and in addition, Coach K really, really needs to hire a good cut man. Our team needs a Golden Glove award or something with all the bruises, banged noses, and gashes.

mgtr
02-02-2008, 08:05 PM
I voted for Nelson with no reservations whatsoever, but feel a little guilty at giving short shrift to Singler and Paulus. What a game.

SilkyJ
02-02-2008, 08:12 PM
captain my cap'n. 3rd straight game with a mediocre first and sweet second half. as my dad said "i thought we'd be humming by now. we need two good halves to beat carolina." agreed.

i like how K rested some key players down the stretch, even when the game wasn't put away. savin 'em up...

9F

SilkyJ
02-02-2008, 08:15 PM
In general and in addition, Coach K really, really needs to hire a good cut man. Our team needs a Golden Glove award or something with all the bruises, banged noses, and gashes.

certainly a good point that we're gettin banged up. though I do have to admit, i think our trainer(s), staff, whoever it is, is doing a great job getting these guys cleaned up, stitched up, whatever it may be and back on the court. is it just me, or does it seem like those guys are ready to go back in only a minute or two?

mph
02-02-2008, 09:01 PM
Markie's offensive explosion in the second half was impressive, but his D was the reason for my vote.

dukepsy1963
02-02-2008, 09:59 PM
Quiet, solid, reliable leadership! Follow me!! That's D!!!

Cameron
02-02-2008, 10:31 PM
There is no doubt that DeMarcus (or "Jamar," in the words of Brent Musberger :rolleyes:) Nelson was the man of the match. His 19 second half points were amazing, and his lockdown defense on McClinton was outstanding; however, those are not the attributes that made Markie the main man today.

Markie's heart is what made him the man of the match. My God he bleeds Duke Blue. After being banged up and sitting some of the first half on the bench due to the hits and cuts he was taking from Hurricane players, I just knew DeMarcus was going to go off. You could see it in his eyes. He was just dying to get back in there and go to work. And boy did he ever. What a game by our senior leader. He's not going to let us lose a single game in Cameron this year. I really believe that.

Senior Night is going to be so emotional this year. I have really grown to love DeMarcus over the years. After watching him almost single handily bring us back to victory at home against Carolina in 2006, with his spurt of consecutive triples in the closing minute, I knew DeMarcus would become that great leader we would need one day. It took him a couple of years to finally put that total package together, but he's there. He is the soul of our team. Without him, we are not a favorite to reach the Sweet 16. That is not an exaggeration, either. He's pulled us out of so many black spots this year.

With all that said, however, I chose Kyle in the poll. Only because his three triples in the second half were so beautiful. The one he hit on the right wing was a perfect stroke from 23 feet. Catch, launch, swish, Duke domination. Part of the reason I love Kyle so much is because most my college basketball loving friends hate him like he's Death:D I love that.

Kyle is an even better long ball shooter than I ever could have expected. He just keeps getting better each and every game. His range is seemingly increasing, as well. Perhaps the little Blue Devil Planet film project with Taylor King left a life changing impression on Kyle:)

I love this team more than words could describe. I haven't gotten this excited before each and every game, at this instense of a level, to watch our team, since 2000-01 (I emphasize 'team' because I have never in my life, before or since, felt the rush I did when JJ Redick took the court in Duke Blue. That will probably never change, either. He was The Show. Period). Don't get me wrong, I get excited every singe game, every single season, no matter what. Last year--our ugly 22 win, 70 PPG scoring season--was one of my favorite seasons to watch Duke basketball. Partly because it was something new, something undiscovered. And partly because I absolutely fell in love with Jon Scheyer's game. I will never forget how great he was during that year. He was a rock.

Ok, back on topic. This year has just been amazing. So many wonderful players, so many great shooters, so much heart. Watching Greg and DeMarcus grow into champions has been worth every minute. I just love the whole picture.

ugadevil
02-02-2008, 11:28 PM
I really like how Nelson adjusted his offensive game today. In the second half, his outside shot wasn't falling but he didn't stop being aggressive. Instead, he drove to the basket and finished at the rim. It was great to see him get it done when his shot wasn't going down.

SilkyJ
02-03-2008, 12:09 AM
But we just couldn't seem to convert the layups/dunks or free throws, so Miami hung around.

that really annoys me when that happens. seems to be more of a theme than i would like...but not as bad as missed FTs...

devildeac
02-03-2008, 08:02 AM
First half player of the game: Paulus. His shooting was fantastic early.

Second half player of the game: Nelson. His defense on McClinton and his scoring and rebounding was huge.

Overall: Nelson.

Solid second half by Singler as well.

Gritty win. Miami played tough. We dominated them in the first half in everything but the scoreboard. We got good looks at the basket and lots of free throw attempts. But we just couldn't seem to convert the layups/dunks or free throws, so Miami hung around.

IIRC, we were fouled on quite a number of dunk attempts so I kinda expect the misses there. You are right though, we missed quite a few close shots and the FT, OH MY. I think <50% for the 1st half.