PDA

View Full Version : Virginia ACC schedule

DukeFencer
02-02-2008, 02:11 PM
Virginia plays Virginia Tech twice in the first "half" of the conference season. In fact, this will be the 2nd time in 6 games they play, with only 2 1/2 weeks in between.

I know that Virginia (along with Duke) started ACC play exceptionally late, so maybe that has something to do with it, but I find it weird that they play the same team twice in one half, especially their in-state conference rival.

Looking at Duke's schedule, we'll play Miami again in about 2 1/2 weeks. I was wondering if this was a chance I hadn't noticed in recent years because of expansion (since I think at least Duke's schedule used to be very consistent in the order of teams in the first half of the season compared to the second half.) Yet there still is more than a full month in between both Duke-UNC games.

Why is there such a short period between games against some of the same teams, and why would UVa & VTech in particular be okay with this?

pfrduke
02-02-2008, 02:32 PM
Virginia plays Virginia Tech twice in the first "half" of the conference season. In fact, this will be the 2nd time in 6 games they play, with only 2 1/2 weeks in between.

I know that Virginia (along with Duke) started ACC play exceptionally late, so maybe that has something to do with it, but I find it weird that they play the same team twice in one half, especially their in-state conference rival.

Looking at Duke's schedule, we'll play Miami again in about 2 1/2 weeks. I was wondering if this was a chance I hadn't noticed in recent years because of expansion (since I think at least Duke's schedule used to be very consistent in the order of teams in the first half of the season compared to the second half.) Yet there still is more than a full month in between both Duke-UNC games.

Why is there such a short period between games against some of the same teams, and why would UVa & VTech in particular be okay with this?

Since the schedule is now unbalanced, teams rarely play each opponent once before seeing repeat opponents. I think Duke and maybe BC were the only teams last year to play every other team before getting any team a second time.

Under the old schedule (when there were 9 teams), it was a perfect half-and-half schedule - you'd play every team once in the first 8 games, and then play them again in the same order in the second half.

As for Duke-UNC, they've tried to keep the 1st game at roughly the halfway point of the season. It's not always perfect - last season it was I think the 9th conference game for Duke.

Ben63
02-02-2008, 07:50 PM
the Duke UNC game is always during ESPN's Rivalry Week. This happens because ESPN apparently owns the world. The other is always the last game on the schedule so that is why Duke UNC is always spread apart. Duke UNC is one of the biggest rivalries in all of sports so it gets priority over UVA and VT.