PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me....

heath_harshman4
02-02-2008, 01:08 AM
Or does it still feel like this team has something to prove? To me, it still seems like there is a chip on their shoulder from last year, and we just slowly glide under the radar (if that is possible) and BAM, no.3 (or no.2 depending on how you look at it) in the nation. But even though we are in the top 5 it still feels to me like we have something to prove, like we are being slighted or something.

IDK, i could just be a weird guy. :) haha.

GTHCGTH

4decadedukie
02-02-2008, 07:24 AM
I know what you mean, although I wouldn't necessarily call it "something to prove." Rather (and this was and remains a very good thing) at the season's beginning (and, perhaps even now) Duke's excellence -- this team and this year, not the program's longterm and overall quality -- was/is somewhat "below the radar horizon." KU, Memphis, Georgetown, UNC, and several other excellent teams garnered all the speculation and the headlines -- especially through January -- while our team (wisely lead by its coaches and Capitan) concentrated on continuous improvement (individually and collectively) and on winning every game. That led to the tenacity, the generally superb defense, the depth, the team-quick offense, the ability to adapt and to overcome, and the great bench contributions that characterize this year's team and have made it a legitimate top-ten ranking. In my opinion, a true TEAM (not a star or two, plus 10+ journeymen) can go a LONG way with this attitude, these demonstrated attributes, this selflessness, this talent, and the coaching that underpins the entire effort.

I am still not sure that this team is "Final Four" caliber -- it's close, to be certain, but I am not yet fully convinced -- but in 30+ years of closely following Duke hoops, it has become one of my favorites and I deeply respect the players, their attitude, their teamwork, and their grit. San Antonio beckons.

camion
02-02-2008, 09:04 AM
Last year we our go to guy really couldn't or wouldn't. This year we have three or four who can and will.

dukelifer
02-02-2008, 09:20 AM
Or does it still feel like this team has something to prove? To me, it still seems like there is a chip on their shoulder from last year, and we just slowly glide under the radar (if that is possible) and BAM, no.3 (or no.2 depending on how you look at it) in the nation. But even though we are in the top 5 it still feels to me like we have something to prove, like we are being slighted or something.

GTHCGTH

I think some of this is the lack of a true star on this Duke's team. No player has really separated themselves from the rest or appears dominant or potentially dominant in the future. In the past, the media has latched onto a single player and tried to elevate that player to a star- deserved or not. Brand was a star- Jason Williams, Reddick etc. If Singler continues his progress- he could be that guy this year or next. If Henderson gets more consistent- he could be that guy this year or next. But right now- the media is having a hard time elevating Nelson- the team's most consistent player - or Paulus or Scheyer to star status. They tried with McBob last year- but he was not ready to be a star player. When you compare Duke with the rest of the best- it is hard to find that dominant player/personailty that many believe could star at the next level or are now a great college player like Morrison a few seasons ago or Hansblah right now. So without a star to boost- the sense is that Duke will fall flat come tourney time when their lack of a big guy or dominant point guard will come to bite them. Personally, I think K has done a masterful job molding a team and it is clearly part of a bigger plan for success. If you are a fan that only measures success by NCAA tourney champioships- it remains to be seen if this approach will work. But if you are a fan of hard working teams without a true star that play well together and get the most out of their abilities- then Duke is certainly a team to cheer for.

devildeac
02-02-2008, 11:02 AM

GTHCGTH

someone in snrub thurs. made the comment that one more stop on the retribution tour is complete after we beat ncsu. think about it. these guys remember last year just like we do and were not pleased with their performances either. with 9-10 healthy players(hurry back, big Brian!), another year experience and conditioning and great work ethics and attitudes, these guys are getting it done at home and away in a very fine fashion.

Bob Green
02-02-2008, 03:23 PM
To me, it still seems like there is a chip on their shoulder from last year,...

H_H4 is on to something here. Hopefully, the chip is there until April and San Antonio.

_Gary
02-02-2008, 03:32 PM
H_H4 is on to something here. Hopefully, the chip is there until April and San Antonio.

Exactly, which is why I couldn't care less if the team is ranked highly or not. In fact, truth be told I'd prefer a lower ranking over a higher one right now. Let's be the hunter, not the hunted.

Gary

heath_harshman4
02-03-2008, 04:22 PM
Exactly, which is why I couldn't care less if the team is ranked highly or not. In fact, truth be told I'd prefer a lower ranking over a higher one right now. Let's be the hunter, not the hunted.

Gary

exactly. I mean, it feels like a few years back ( I wanna say 2002?) where we were ranked #1 and Coach K even said we werent the best team in the nation...so yea. idk... A win in Chapel Hill sure would bring up my confidence in the team! haha

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-03-2008, 04:50 PM
When this Duke team plays I don't see anything like a chip on the shoulder attitude. They're confident and get more so game by game. They have a great team chemistry and everyone contributes. There is great balance and unyielding tenacity. They refuse to lose. They face their opponents and don't back down..... sometimes they're knocked down, but even then they get back up and keep going.

A chip on their collective shoulders? I don't think so. That sort of attitude is based on internalizing what others think of them and reacting to it. No, this is a true team. They embrace the roles the coach assigns and work together. I love seeing them play though I wish it didn't look and sound so much like football without pads! Who'd have thought that so many stitches and surgical repairs would be part of this season?