PDA

View Full Version : Duke vs. Miami Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

JBDuke
02-01-2008, 06:26 PM
Post your thoughts about the Saturday afternoon matchup with Miami here.

Bob Green
02-01-2008, 07:43 PM
Stop Jack McClinton and you stop Miami. Last year, Duke won 85-63 in Coral Gables, and McClinton was held to 5 points on 1-6 shooting in 22 minutes of action. He also committed three turnovers and fouled out. We need to do the same this year.

While we are at it, it would be nice to shutdown Asbury as well. The 6'7" 215 guard/small forward had 19 points in 38 minutes in last year's game. He was 2-5 from 3-point land.

I'm looking forward to the game and expect Duke to win by double digits but the first half of the State game demonstrated that basketball games do not follow scripts. I'm anticipating strong performances from Scheyer, Smith, and King who were subpar against State.

Tip-off is set for 0530 Sunday morning Tokyo Standard Time and the Japan Chapter of the Duke Fan Club will be open for business at 0500 so stop by for a cup of coffee. :D

Madrasdukie
02-01-2008, 08:06 PM
Having dealt with quite a few good front court players (Blair, Mays, Gist and Osby, and Hickson), I feel more comfortable about our prospects against Anthony King.
I agree that if McClinton is well defended and Asbury is contained our chances are looking pretty good.

Saratoga2
02-01-2008, 09:40 PM
Stop Jack McClinton and you stop Miami. Last year, Duke won 85-63 in Coral Gables, and McClinton was held to 5 points on 1-6 shooting in 22 minutes of action. He also committed three turnovers and fouled out. We need to do the same this year.

While we are at it, it would be nice to shutdown Asbury as well. The 6'7" 215 guard/small forward had 19 points in 38 minutes in last year's game. He was 2-5 from 3-point land.

I'm looking forward to the game and expect Duke to win by double digits but the first half of the State game demonstrated that basketball games do not follow scripts. I'm anticipating strong performances from Scheyer, Smith, and King who were subpar against State.

Tip-off is set for 0530 Sunday morning Tokyo Standard Time and the Japan Chapter of the Duke Fan Club will be open for business at 0500 so stop by for a cup of coffee. :D

There were a lot of people talking about Duke/UNC a little prematurely. Saturday's game is what the focus needs to be on at this time. I am heading out Sunday morning early and will be prancing around Hawaii for three weeks so don't know if there will be a chance to see any games. Here's hoping the Duke will have good fortune during that time and remain in the top 10.

cbfx3
02-01-2008, 09:46 PM
There were a lot of people talking about Duke/UNC a little prematurely. Saturday's game is what the focus needs to be on at this time. I am heading out Sunday morning early and will be prancing around Hawaii for three weeks so don't know if there will be a chance to see any games. Here's hoping the Duke will have good fortune during that time and remain in the top 10.

Amen... I havent seen much of miami this year (I went to the game in miami last year though!)

Bob Green
02-01-2008, 11:14 PM
I am heading out Sunday morning early and will be prancing around Hawaii for three weeks so don't know if there will be a chance to see any games.

I lived in Hawaii for three years and can assure you they have TV. :) The time zone difference is challenging at times. Enjoy your trip.

CDu
02-02-2008, 12:11 AM
The key will be containing McClinton and making sure that King/Collins/Graham don't kill us on the boards. If we do those two things, Miami just doesn't have the weapons to compete with us.

Miami is a 3-pt oriented team, so there's always the chance that they could heat up. They have three pretty decent shooters from out there. But 3-pt defense has generally been a strength of ours.

Once again, we should win this by double digits.

dukestheheat
02-02-2008, 09:23 AM
The #1 thing Duke has to do today is to make the mental decision to come out and play Duke basketball (all the things that make it up) for both halves today. Duke must bust it right from the opening tip-off.

This will set the tone for today, and we sorely need it going forward. Keep rolling like we have been, playing for one-half versus Maryland and also NC State, and we're in total trouble going to the hated Holes Wednesday.

THROTTLE UP TODAY DUKE!

BEAT MIAMI!

dth.

Lavabe
02-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Who's calling the game on ABC today? All we know is:

IT CAN'T BE PACKER!!!! Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Is it Musbuergererererr?
Could it be ELmore?
Could it be Patrick?
Could it be ... Jay?:eek:

Cheers,
Lavabe

gw67
02-02-2008, 10:33 AM
Lavabe,

No matter who it is, I will almost guarantee that there will be posters who will cry a bunch of tears because the broadcasters are "anti-Duke". My advice to those who see Duke haters around every corner is to turn off the sound and thank your lucky stars that your favorite team is on the tube more than any other in college basketball. IMO, there may be differences in the quality or likability of play-by-play and color men but they all try to call the game the way they see it.

gw67

mark3401
02-02-2008, 12:37 PM
Anyone know anyway to watch today's game online? I am in Big 12 territory and they are showing some colorado game or something.

Appreciate any help. I wish I still had DirecTV.

Indoor66
02-02-2008, 12:44 PM
Anyone know anyway to watch today's game online? I am in Big 12 territory and they are showing some colorado game or something.

Our game is on ABC network, if that helps.

Madrasdukie
02-02-2008, 12:51 PM

Todays game will be on ESPN360 online (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/scoreboard. If you click on the ESPN360 icon below the Duke/Miami box and follow instructions, you should be able to see the game online (assuming you have the right internet connection).

In the past I've watched quite a few games through this site - it's a small screen but really has no lag-time, and the resolution is not bad at all.

mark3401
02-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Thank you, I will try the espn on line. to the other poster, thanks, I know it is on ABC, but it is a regional game. Go Duke

mark3401
02-02-2008, 01:25 PM
ha! I clicked thru excited by the notion that i will be able to watch on line at espn360. Alas, I cannot do so with Time Warner internet. bummer. Anyone know a work around?

pfrduke
02-02-2008, 02:33 PM
ha! I clicked thru excited by the notion that i will be able to watch on line at espn360. Alas, I cannot do so with Time Warner internet. bummer. Anyone know a work around?

sports bar.

Karl Beem
02-02-2008, 03:27 PM
Matt Doh? :p

DukieInKansas
02-02-2008, 03:47 PM

It's not so bad being stuck at work - the silly looking mythical bird is on - not the mighty Blue Devil. It will be shown tomorrow night at 8:30pm on ESPN u (Time Warner 203 in the KC area.)

Hey - the office is AT&T - so I can watch it. Productivity just decreased.

Lotus000
02-02-2008, 03:53 PM
Paulus's nose has GOT to be broken. Why's everybody have to go after our boy?

_Gary
02-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Quick note to Duke early on: the ball must go through the hoop in order to score points. Hitting the rim is not good enough. :D

In other words, we've missed a ton of chippies already that have done everything but go through the hoop.

Gary

dw0827
02-02-2008, 04:00 PM

Can't watch the game . . . so what happened to Paulus?

dukestheheat
02-02-2008, 04:00 PM
athletes and fans are starting to physically abuse (hurt) Paulus. this is moronic behavior and i don't know what we can do about it except beat people by 25 points.

this is ridiculous; beyond ridiculous.

dth.

dukestheheat
02-02-2008, 04:02 PM
we need to hit our free throws b/c it's obvious we're going up there a lot this game; their whole team may foul out by the end of this one.

dth.

grc5
02-02-2008, 04:04 PM

I've been defending Paulus all year, but I didn't see any actual contact. We might have a dirty 4-letter F-word situation.

Lotus000
02-02-2008, 04:05 PM
I've been defending Paulus all year, but I didn't see any actual contact. We might have a dirty 4-letter F-word situation.

No way, there was contact. If you saw the trainers working on him on the bench, it was clearly very swollen. Definitely no flops.

YmoBeThere
02-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Paulus just demonstrated why you don't try and save it while at the basket you are defending.

_Gary
02-02-2008, 04:10 PM
No way was that a flop. Not even close! He legitimately got hit hard on that play, even though it was more of a glancing blow than a direct shot. But it was real and it was a hard shot to his nose.

Gary

Lotus000
02-02-2008, 04:12 PM
I really think we need to step off the free-throw line and shoot it from 20' instead of 15'

Ridiculously horrid % from the charity stripe.

Lotus000
02-02-2008, 04:14 PM
Oh, and *another* thing...if I were in the stands by the kid in the 'U' jersey, I'd 'create some space' myself.....

UGH I hate that.

_Gary
02-02-2008, 04:22 PM
Man, this is yet another very physical game. The guys are going to be hitting the ice tub hard after this one. I haven't seen a lot of chippy play yet, like we had at the VTech game, but it has been very physical.

Gary

dw0827
02-02-2008, 04:23 PM
From what I'm getting off the game tracker, we are missing a lot of shots . . . is it the defense or are we just cold?

Lotus000
02-02-2008, 04:27 PM
From what I'm getting off the game tracker, we are missing a lot of shots . . . is it the defense or are we just cold?

I think we're just really cold...defense is passable for the U, but I think we're tired from the State game.

Re: what Gary said, yeah, the game's not chippy, but it's super physical...DeMarcus just went out with a pretty damned deep cut beneath his left eye. It looks like he's gone about four rounds with a welterweight.

_Gary
02-02-2008, 04:35 PM
We missed a bunch of close in shots early on that, IMO, gave Miami some confidence that they could stay with us. I mean heck, we just hit our first 2-point field goal, and I believe there were less than 4 minutes to go in the half. Some of it is physical defense that is sending us to the line, but I do think a lot of the shots we've had were more than makable. And yea, we do seem a tad tired because a number of the shots and free throws are coming up short.

Gary

ArtVandelay
02-02-2008, 04:36 PM
It's becoming increasingly clear that the physical play in ACC games is not going to stop. The game plan is obviosuly to try to exploit the perceived lack of toughness/inside game by pushing us around. Between that and our attacking style offense, the result is a lot of contact and foul calls in these games. Better get used to it, since there aren't really any teams in the ACC that can run and gun with us aside from Carolina.

On a related point, I suspect Lance will be on the bench within 2 minutes trying to guard Hansborough the human projectile.

Lotus000
02-02-2008, 04:39 PM
Can um, the zebras count to three? Maybe? Maybe just once count to three when they're in the lane?

Karl Beem
02-02-2008, 04:44 PM
There's been an outrageous number of bad calls, really missed calls. I'm not talking about the style of officiating.:mad:

_Gary
02-02-2008, 04:47 PM
There's been an outrageous number of bad calls, really missed calls. I'm not talking about the style of officiating.:mad:

Like the offensive foul called on Gerald late in the first half? I thought that one was horrible.

Gary

KandG
02-02-2008, 04:50 PM
I think it's actually smart of Miami to play the zone, as it's really brought down the slashing game -- Gerald is forcing quite a few drives, and we're making some very awkward passes out of the zone. We don't seem to have any legs after playing 36 hours earlier -- the FT shooting could really come back to bite us.

With that said, our defense has been pretty good, but lord, this game has zero flow. The purist in me wants to see a few more 2 point baskets and better free throw shooting in the second half, but this may be one of those games we win by simply out-ugly-ing the opponent.

_Gary
02-02-2008, 04:55 PM
I think it's actually smart of Miami to play the zone, as it's really brought down the slashing game -- Gerald is forcing quite a few drives, and we're making some very awkward passes out of the zone.

I agree. In spite of the bad foul call that went against him, Gerald has forced the drive a bit too much again today. Oh, and this game is on pace to have 50+ fouls called against both teams. That definitely hinders flow.

Gary

FireOgilvie
02-02-2008, 04:55 PM
Did anyone notice the "points in the paint" stat ABC showed? It said we had 8 points in the paint... but we've only made 2 field goals from inside the three point line. I've always thought the points in the paint stat was a made up number... this seems to verify that.

DavidBenAkiva
02-02-2008, 04:56 PM
At the half-

1) Jack McClinton must have gone to the Deron Washington School of Sportsmanship. Kudos to ABC/ESPN for picking up that "elbow to the ribs/just scratching my head" before the game started.

2) The game is being called as tight as a pair of jeans on George Michael. Not that I notice that sort of things. The jeans on George Michael that is...

3) Boy it would be nice if one of our slashing guards could cut into the lane and dish to someone. We seem to be watching when DeMarcus, Gerald, Nolan, etc. cuts into the lane instead of making ourselves available as an outlet pass. Anyone else catch that.

4) LONGEST FIRST HALF... EVER!

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

Lotus000
02-02-2008, 04:58 PM
Did anyone notice the "points in the paint" stat ABC showed? It said we had 8 points in the paint... but we've only made 2 field goals from inside the three point line. I've always thought the points in the paint stat was a made up number... this seems to verify that.

I thought the exact same thing! The court has lacquer on it, um, does that count as paint?

Lotus000
02-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Lavin is KILLING me

Lavin-isms:

1) "Count the chiclets when you're done!"

2) Comparing the game to a Packers-Giants game...in the snow...umumum manly.

DeMarcus just had the sweet steal and layup!! yeaaaah DeMarcus!

ArtVandelay
02-02-2008, 05:07 PM
Did anyone know that Duke is using elements of the Suns offensive system?

_Gary
02-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Great opening 5 for the second half! Nelson is definitely the man right now, although I love the ball movement from everyone. A lot of nice passes from all over the place! A thing of beauty.

Gary

Lotus000
02-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Great opening 5 for the second half! Nelson is definitely the man right now, although I love the ball movement from everyone. A lot of nice passes from all over the place! A thing of beauty.

Gary

100% agreed...I would really like to start seeing some actual flow in the game, instead of this half-court monstrosity we're calling a 'game' right now.

_Gary
02-02-2008, 05:19 PM
Oh boy, looks like Lance pulled a muscle in his back. We don't need that!

Gary

Lotus000
02-02-2008, 05:21 PM
Oh boy, looks like Lance pulled a muscle in his back. We don't need that!

Gary

Yeah, he looks a little gimpy. Let's hope it's nothing major. Thank goodness they're all in ridiculously good shape.

Lotus000
02-02-2008, 05:24 PM
Another Lavin-ism...

At 10:58 left in the 2d, Singler shooting a pair from the line, Lavin said "you can't soar with the eagles if you're up at night hooting with the owls."

:eek:

DukieInBrasil
02-02-2008, 05:40 PM
despite a lousy 1st half at the charity strip Duke has gotten back on track. At least we´re over 50% for the game now. Nelson once again started ice-cold at the line but then hit 4 in a row to improve to the tepid category. Nelson REALLY needs to improve at the line. For a guy who can drive and slash so well, Henderson also REALLY needs to become a better FT shooter, hovering around 60% for a slashing scorer is actually terrible.

grc5
02-02-2008, 05:55 PM
Did anyone know that Duke is using elements of the Suns offensive system?

LOL. I can recite ESPN's Duke talking points in my sleep. I've seen that Singler-family graphic a half-dozen times now. These guys need new material.