PDA

View Full Version : UConn

mus074
03-13-2007, 04:13 PM
For me, the second most satisfying part of this whole season so far has been UConn's irrelevance and even fight to play in its own tourney. The most satisfying part is that there are no/very few columns laughing at them or Calhoun for their disappearing act or calling into question their pedigree. Despite having won titles in 1999 and 2003, they are still not a dynasty giving rise to media and public rejoice in their failure. That is what separates them from Duke.

Duke will never go unnoticed. That is success.

(Caveat: if we get to the Sweet 16 or beyond, that would be the most satisfying part and all else will get bumped down.)

fisheyes
03-13-2007, 05:57 PM
I couldn't agee more.

I live in CT and have noticed very few articles in the local papers regarding the UCONN downfall. It's almost irrelevant here too. Maybe it's because the state favors the women...or at least they would prefer to this year. I work with the father of one of the UCONN freshman and from conversations with him, it seems that Calhoun lost control of this team midway through the year.

The UCONN fans are very similar to the Maryland fans...obnoxious. Several years ago I took my then 12 year old son to the Duke-UCONN football game. By 10am most of the crowd was plastered, wearing shirts saying "Duck Fuke" (some skipping the formality), and were generally spitting vulgar remarks toward my son and I as we walked into the stadium. No class.

The best thing about this season is clearly....NO UCONN!

GO DUKE!!!