PDA

View Full Version : K Center Dedication

4decadedukie
02-01-2008, 07:31 AM
[Note: I'm not sure if this should be on the Main Board or Off Topic; mods, please move as you see fit.]

My wife and I have been invited to a reception, incident to the K Center's opening, on Friday evening, 8 February, and we plan to attend. However, the information provided by the Athletic Department/Iron Dukes offers no additional facts regarding either K Center-oriented activities that weekend or a specific agenda for the 8 February reception. Further, I don't know when the K-Center is actually going to be "dedicated" (if there is a formal ceremony, etc.) and when it is actually going to open for use.

Can anyone help us by providing additional information, answering these questions, or referring us to a good website.

Thank you.

onepresent
02-01-2008, 08:50 AM
Here is the schedule of events for the evening.

Duke University Building Dedication
The Michael W. Krzyzewski Center
Dedicated to Academic and Athletic Excellence
February 8, 2008

Welcome
Joe Alleva
Director of Athletics

Remarks
Martha Putallaz
Department of Athletics Faculty Representative

Recognition and Presentation
Richard Brodhead
President

Response
Michael Krzyzewski
Head Men’s Basketball Coach

Closing Comments
Joe Alleva
Director of Athletics

Cocktail Reception and Tours
Immediately Following

BD80
02-08-2008, 02:39 PM
That new center has got put us over the top with the 2009 recruits. Nice way to keep the ties to the alumni players by providing the legacy locker room. Smart too, since much of the money came from the legacy fund.

It may not impress the one-and-done player but it is certain to impress the kind of players we want who know they will have to work hard to develop their games and are serious about academics. The parents should love it as well. Great message to send recruits.

I see why he has been waiting to bring recruits in for visits.

It should also give our teams an even bigger edge!

Coach K rocks!!

watzone
02-08-2008, 02:47 PM
I have a picture gallery on the way. It's very nice, indeed.

Son of Jarhead
02-09-2008, 01:23 AM
I had the distinct pleasure of going to the dedication for the new practice facility/academic support center, named for Coach K, on Friday evening. WOW!... that is some place! I was very impressed. Anybody else get to go? What were your impressions?

A couple things that stuck out: The first floor is for the basketball teams with two full courts (divided by a cool screen that rolls up into the rafters), a massive weight room (had a "new car" smell to it & all the weights had the Iron Duke symbol on them), a cardio room, & a video theatre. There were quite a few big-screen TVs everywhere. The second floor is all academic support for all student-athletes, very fitting for Duke. There's a classroom, tutorial rooms, study area, comp stations, & offices for the academic support staff (the desks were all still empty, but most had names on the doors already).

Coach K hinted that he wants some attention for Cameron now that this new facility is done. I suppose that will happen right after Wade renovations.

Dick Groat was there... I think they will be honoring him at halftime of the BC game. Both teams (Men's & Women's) were present, as well as several alumni players. One thing that caught my eye... while Coach K was speaking, I looked over at the Men's team, all listening intently, & Dave McClure was nodding his head in agreement at everything Coach K said. I don't know why, but that just seemed neat to me. I like that kid.

Anyway, it was a very nice night.

Go Duke!

365Duke
02-09-2008, 09:57 AM
Coach K hinted that he wants some attention for Cameron now that this new facility is done. I suppose that will happen right after Wade renovations.

Go Duke!

I heard K on the radio the other day with Bob Harris say that he wanted to preserve the honor of Cameron, but "before he's done" he wants some facility work done there too. Not to diminish anything, just some upgrades. And I would like to place my vote for a new video scoreboard that can show replays and such. It doesn't have to be bigger, just better with a video screen on each side. That way, we don't have to look at a scoreboard that 10-15% of the lights are burn out on.:eek: (Sorry, pet peeve of mine). The rest is fine by me:D

PS
When I say "before he's done", in no way am I saying that he's going anywhere soon. K still has a lot of years in him.:D

wisteria
02-09-2008, 10:33 PM
Don't know if it's been posted, but the K-center has officially opened on Friday.

Here are the pictures of the Grand opening and the center.
http://gallery.mac.com/dukeblueplanet#100243&bgcolor=black&view=grid

just WOW~

willywoody
02-10-2008, 12:08 PM
thanks for the pics. really impressive facility.

77devil
02-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Don't know if it's been posted, but the K-center has officially opened on Friday.

Here are the pictures of the Grand opening and the center.

just WOW~

This weeks Coack K show has nice commentary and video on the new center.

Rich
02-13-2008, 09:21 AM
I've read a lot about the K Center and I've seen some photos, but I can't figure out exactly where it's located. The map on the Duke U. website doesn't seem to include it yet. Does anyone have a map they can link to or provide a description of its location? I know it's adjacent to Cameron, but I can't figure out where.

DukeUsul
02-13-2008, 09:43 AM
It's between Cameron and the Sanford Institute. Are you familiar with the new concourse they put in a few years ago (the Hall of Champions)? It parallels that right outside the windows along the concourse.

#16 on this map:
http://www.goduke.com//pdf1/76484.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=4200

lmb
02-13-2008, 11:32 AM
I've only been to Cameron 3 times, but from what I recall that area was a steep hill. Am I correct? Is it built into the hill or did they do a major amount of earth-moving?

allenmurray
02-13-2008, 11:37 AM
Patrick Davidson - small hand shovel - 10 minutes.

bigj4194
02-13-2008, 11:46 AM
There are some pretty sweet pictures here...enjoy!

lmb
02-13-2008, 12:31 PM
Patrick Davidson - small hand shovel - 10 minutes.

I walked right into that one!:D

Madrasdukie
02-15-2008, 08:57 PM
http://www.dukeblueplanet.com/content.asp?tid=163

DukeUsul
02-15-2008, 10:00 PM
Google Maps recently updated the Triangle area with their Street View. Here's the MWK Center adjacent to Cameron (through the trees on the left of Cameron).

Google Maps Street View (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Whitford+Dr,+Durham,+NC+27706&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=39.320439,59.150391&ie=UTF8&ll=36.00108,-78.942304&spn=0.009825,0.014441&z=16&layer=c&cbll=35.996813,-78.943073&cbp=1,378.07992219114635,,0,5.182625476678249)