PDA

View Full Version : Man of the Match vs. NC State

Jumbo
01-31-2008, 11:15 PM
Who was the Man of the Match vs. NC State?

grc5
01-31-2008, 11:17 PM
Jordan Davidson!

mgtr
01-31-2008, 11:17 PM
Good play in the second half by quite a few, but Paulus stole the show.

Karl Beem
01-31-2008, 11:28 PM
Bench Paulus:D!

dyedwab
01-31-2008, 11:29 PM
Great overall team play in the 2nd half - but we don't turn it around without Greg's performance

CDu
01-31-2008, 11:29 PM
Gotta go with Paulus. He had a great game and kept us hanging around until the cavalry arrived. Leading scorer, leading assist man.

That said, I'm impressed that we had four guys with at least 18 points (Paulus 22, Singler 19, Henderson 18, Nelson 18).

Once again, a lackluster first half. But once again, a fantastic second half.

hc5duke
01-31-2008, 11:32 PM
only caught the 2nd half but gotta go with paulus from what i saw. very tempted to vote for davidson though

kcduke75
01-31-2008, 11:40 PM
Greg had a great game, but as someone mentioned last game, could you give us the option of TEAM?

The whole team stepped up in the second half after getting over the MD game hangover and the tossing of the Greenies.

Awesome, at one point Cameron seemed as loud as I have heard it in 30 years

captmojo
01-31-2008, 11:43 PM
DeMarcus Paulus.

Sounds Roman, huh?

greybeard
01-31-2008, 11:44 PM
Paulus was great but so was Demarcus who, if he stops listening to all of us, might end up a terrific, terrific pro. He certainly goes down on the all time Duke captain's list.

Paulus was a dominent force, particularly in the second half, but there is no second half without Demarcus' first.

And, CDu is on the money about the other two as well. I have to add that I thought McClure, no. 42 (don't get old), and Scheyer made great contributions. Smith only slightly less so.

Am I the only one who thinks that that guard who scored off of Scheyer's pass at the end could probably be a starting point at half the programs in the country?

This team is wickedly clever and smart.

K's performance thus far is setting an entirely new standard; a team this young playing a style on offense and I think also on defense (aside from "Orange," I think the "man" defense entirely befuddling in its zone principles, which seems to have "littles" coming from nowhere to steal entry passes when no one could possibly see or anticipate their being there) that is entirely new, and doing it so well, is unprecedented.

Let the heads talk about 800 or 900 or whatever all they want. K is doing something we have never seen before in sport; what is so stunning about Duke is that he has players with the character, smarts, and skills to pull it off.

Jumbo
01-31-2008, 11:52 PM
Might want to hold off on the voting for MOTM for a little bit -- I have a major plus/minus development to reveal!

NovaScotian
Jordan Davidson!

HUMAN
VICTORY
CIGAR
HUMANVICTORYCIGAR

3rd Dukie
Paulus was great but so was Demarcus who, if he stops listening to all of us, might end up a terrific, terrific pro. He certainly goes down on the all time Duke captain's list.

Paulus was a dominent force, particularly in the second half, but there is no second half without Demarcus' first.

And, CDu is on the money about the other two as well. I have to add that I thought McClure, no. 42 (don't get old), and Scheyer made great contributions. Smith only slightly less so.

Am I the only one who thinks that that guard who scored off of Scheyer's pass at the end could probably be a starting point at half the programs in the country?

This team is wickedly clever and smart.

K's performance thus far is setting an entirely new standard; a team this young playing a style on offense and I think also on defense (aside from "Orange," I think the "man" defense entirely befuddling in its zone principles, which seems to have "littles" coming from nowhere to steal entry passes when no one could possibly see or anticipate their being there) that is entirely new, and doing it so well, is unprecedented.

Let the heads talk about 800 or 900 or whatever all they want. K is doing something we have never seen before in sport; what is so stunning about Duke is that he has players with the character, smarts, and skills to pull it off.

Great post, GB!!

somf4eva
01-31-2008, 11:57 PM
I just voted for Davidson because im sure the Crazies were the loudest when he scored at the end. The smile on his face was priceless.

I would also vote for K. The hug he gave Nelson, even as Nelson was moving away at the end, shows me just how much he cares.

watzone
01-31-2008, 11:57 PM
Notice Jumbos inside humor making Paulus graphic bar green;)

DU82
01-31-2008, 11:59 PM
I voted for DeMarcus. He guarded Fells all night. Fells, who has been State's best player the past few games, scored 1 point. ONE!

pamtar
02-01-2008, 12:00 AM
K's performance thus far is setting an entirely new standard; a team this young playing a style on offense and I think also on defense that is entirely new, and doing it so well, is unprecedented.

Chills down the spine true GB.

I love it how somebody(s) always steps up on tis team. Game in, game out this team is the most fun to watch since 01.

Great game for Greg.

Jumbo
02-01-2008, 12:07 AM
Notice Jumbos inside humor making Paulus graphic bar green;)

Huh?

Jumbo
02-01-2008, 12:10 AM
Might want to hold off on the voting for MOTM for a little bit -- I have a major plus/minus development to reveal!

To respond to myself, Kyle Singler was a +30 tonight. Plus-30. Think about that for a little while. Damn.

dukeENG2003
02-01-2008, 12:26 AM
MOTM? The Grad student section, for starting the "lose the green" chant.

In all seriousness, I've gotta go with Kyle Singler on this one. Solid offensive game, great defensive effort. D-Marks defense was very important though.

Off topic I know, but why was the Green shirt topic closed? Just b/c the whole thing was an unmitigated disaster doesn't mean it still isn't worth talking about? It actually served as a unifying thing. . . when the crazies all started throwing them in the recycling bins at half time. Even crazy towel guy took his off. The devil too.

Classof06
02-01-2008, 12:32 AM
Paulus was phenomenal. I'll call it out when I don't think he plays well and I'll call it out when I do think he plays well. Tonight, he was truly the catalyst. The emerging M-O of this team is that "it's a different guy every night". One night it's Gerald and Demarcus, one night it's Singler, one night it's Greg, one night it's Scheyer, one night it's Nolan and Taylor. While I'd like to see us play better in the first half, I'm truly impressed with the way this young team has come back from two straight 9-point halftime deficits. That says something.

I'm so proud of this team.

speedevil
02-01-2008, 12:38 AM
Jordan Davidson!

how the hell was jordan davidson the man of the match?

OZZIE4DUKE
02-01-2008, 12:45 AM
I voted for that lousy point guard of ours - Greg Paulus! He had a great game.

tbyers11
Greg Paulus was the MOTM. Lance, Markie, and Kyle all had very good games but Greg had an all-around great game. The stats (22 pts, 6 ast, 0 TO and 3 stl) only begin to tell the story. He drew 2 five-second calls on his man in the first half and his defense was very good all night. His 3 threes at the start of the second half really turned the game around and set the tone for the rest of the half.

But my favorite play was at the 9:32 mark of the second half when he stole the post entry pass from McCauley to Hickson. The impressive thing was that McCauley was at the top of the key and Paulus's man (Gonzalez) was on the left wing. It was beautiful help defense.

Cali-Duke
although i voted for greg, lance had a great game. tons of energy, great press defense, and more confidence in his offensive game. add 5 rebounds against jj hickson...not too bad (considering hes had games with 0 rebounds)

elvis14
02-01-2008, 12:57 AM
I voted for Nolan Smith because no one else had and besides, if he didn't finally have a bad game Paulus wouldn't have gotten so much playing time :D

Great game tonight by Greg Paulus.

billybreen
02-01-2008, 01:03 AM
Gotta be Greg. I commented in the last poll that Markie would set a record for voting percentage. If it was a record, it only lasted one game.

Wander
02-01-2008, 01:13 AM
Jumbo, get your damn head out of your plus/minus calculator and change your vote to Paulus. Please?

And what is this voting for team option nonsense? That's weak sauce.

Taco
02-01-2008, 01:14 AM
anyone not voting for Jordan Davidson is some kind of communist :mad:

mehmattski
02-01-2008, 01:23 AM
Does anyone else think that, before the game, Chris Collins takes out a die, and rolls it on the locker room floor?

"Ok guys... and the player who will score 20 points tonight is..... Paulus!"

Paulus is the sixth different Duke player to lead the team with a 20 point performance so far this season. Also, his effort lifts him above 10 ppg, meaning Duke has five players in double figures. Awesome.

Jumbo
02-01-2008, 01:29 AM
Jumbo, get your damn head out of your plus/minus calculator and change your vote to Paulus. Please?

Didn't realize that voting for a guy who scored 19 points (including 12 in the second half) and who -- in a foul-plagued game -- managed to give us 19 minutes in the second half (with Thomas, McClure and Scheyer all on the bench in foul trouble) was purely a case of my "damn head" being in my "plus/minus calculator." Quick quiz -- whose three-pointer started Duke's second-half run? Whose ability to pull bigs out of the paint opened up the driving lanes for Henderson and Nelson? Whose threat as a high screener helped set Paulus up for his threes.

Greg played a fabulous game, but I'm standing by my Singler pick.

Jumbo
02-01-2008, 01:30 AM
Also, his effort lifts him above 10 ppg, meaning Duke has five players in double figures. Awesome.

Oh, so close...
Duke lists (http://www.goduke.com/pdf7/107235.pdf?ATCLID=1379286&SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200)him at 9.9 ppg

Wander
02-01-2008, 01:35 AM
Didn't realize that voting for a guy who scored 19 points (including 12 in the second half) and who -- in a foul-plagued game -- managed to give us 19 minutes in the second half (with Thomas, McClure and Scheyer all on the bench in foul trouble) was purely a case of my "damn head" being in my "plus/minus calculator."

Well, it's a good thing I'm around to help you realize these things then. :)

mehmattski
02-01-2008, 01:43 AM
Oh, so close...
Duke lists (http://www.goduke.com/pdf7/107235.pdf?ATCLID=1379286&SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200)him at 9.9 ppg

He's scored 189 points in 19 games. One measly point! 9.94736 ppg! I blame it on the two free throws he missed in the second half....

Acymetric
02-01-2008, 02:21 AM
Another thing that is important to look at is 6-0 assists/turnovers for Greg. Is this his second game with no TO's? I can definitely see cases for Singler and others though, and if it hadn't already been done I would've given my vote to Jordan Davidson, because c'mon, that was fun. All in all great game!

4decadedukie
02-01-2008, 07:20 AM
Greg Paulus played a GREAT game last night against NCSU: leadership, athleticism, clutch performance, point guard acuity both defensive and offensive, and superb shooting characterized his effort. I also have a visceral feeling that the "mussel" State attempted to exert -- bordering on dirty play -- only increased Gerg's resolve to demonstrate his mastery, where it really counted: on the court and on the scoreboard.

Our team's put a premium on attitude (rather than flash) and on teamwork (rather than high-visibility solo performance). By those standards, Greg Paulus was a TRUE BLUE DEVIL last night and I sincerely congratulate him.

grc5
02-01-2008, 09:29 AM

Someone obviously turned the game off early...

mr. synellinden
02-01-2008, 09:38 AM
I voted for Singler even though I think GP had the best game of his career. It was a tough call because I think both were instrumental in getting us back in the game and then pulling away. I loved how once we got the lead we didn't let up. It wasn't enough to just make a remarkable comeback so quickly. We had to bury them. Great teams do that.

The reason why I voted for Singler is because you are now seeing his varied skills and outstanding talent being raised to the level of Division I/ACC play and it's astounding what a smart, well-rounded player he is. You just have to watch him move without the ball and flash down the lane vertically with his hand raised to appreciate his basketball savvy. He hits threes, creates shots off the dribble, finishes at the basket, hits his free throws, runs the break, rebounds, passes, knows how to maintain spacing. And he's only a freshman. I think Singler went through a four or five game lull where he needed to adjust to ACC play. Now he has and I think tonight is going to be a stepping stone where he consistently plays at an All-ACC level.

But Paulus was also awesome tonight - a leader, fiery, clutch, made great decisions with the ball, engaged the crowd, brought the house down with the behind the back pass. The more I think about it if I could split my vote I would.

ehdg
02-01-2008, 09:51 AM
I voted for that lousy point guard of ours - Greg Paulus! He had a great game.

I say after that sub par performance last night by Greg we should just cut him and bring in another walk on. :p

Acymetric
02-01-2008, 09:53 AM
I say after that sub par performance last night by Greg we should just cut him and bring in another walk on. :p

Nah, just give the pt to Jordan! Give him 20 minutes against Carolina, I bet he drops 40. :D

jjasper0729
02-01-2008, 09:58 AM
I think also on defense (aside from "Orange," I think the "man" defense entirely befuddling in its zone principles, which seems to have "littles" coming from nowhere to steal entry passes when no one could possibly see or anticipate their being there) that is entirely new, and doing it so well, is unprecedented.

it's almost as if we're playing an amoeba zone with all the switching in the man defense. the only issue, and i noticed this a LOT last night, is that the guards are always switching, regardless, rather than understanding who they are guarding. I got the feeling that gonzalez and/or johnson werent going to take much less make many perimeter shots, yet when costner or hickson would set the screens, greg or nolan or jon would switch and that would create a terrible mismatch (which was exploited early) rather than know the opponent, go under the screen and not give them the pick and roll opportunity.

BlueDevilJay
02-01-2008, 11:45 AM
it's almost as if we're playing an amoeba zone with all the switching in the man defense. the only issue, and i noticed this a LOT last night, is that the guards are always switching, regardless, rather than understanding who they are guarding. I got the feeling that gonzalez and/or johnson werent going to take much less make many perimeter shots, yet when costner or hickson would set the screens, greg or nolan or jon would switch and that would create a terrible mismatch (which was exploited early) rather than know the opponent, go under the screen and not give them the pick and roll opportunity.

Good points you make there, but wasn't the term "amoeba" in regards to defense retired after we defeated UNLV in the national semifinals? I got SO sick of hearing that freaking term back then. :)

Anyways, on topic, I voted for Greg, with Kyle having my Honorable Mention for the game. His ability to play the low post and the angles he creates for entry passes still freakin amazes me, as he is ALWAYS ready to score upon receiving the pass. If he could just teach Thomas to DUNK THE FREAKIN BALL!!! we would have a decent post game.

socaldukie
02-01-2008, 11:56 AM
Gotta be Greg. As I noted in the post game thread..I like his attitude and aggressiveness. We need that swagger!

Madrasdukie
02-01-2008, 12:07 PM
Paulus for his high-energy plays simply because it has such a positive impact on the team.
But like some pointed out Kyle's ability to alter the opponent's defensive strategy, along with his readiness to score, were critical for the win. Maybe I've missed it in the past but I loved his two jump hooks.
DeMarcus and Gerald were very solid - 11 rebounds, 5 assists, 5 steals and not to mention their point production).
Lance seems to be clearly emerging, I like his confidence.

greybeard
02-01-2008, 12:09 PM
If I had to chose, I'd say Demarcus. He hit big shots in both halves, including a three late in the second that said, when State closed to about 10, don't even think about it.

Both Demarcus and Paulus turned people over on the exterior numerous times. However, Demarcus is 6'4" and one of the team's leading rebounders.

He handled it often, and was flawless off the dribble, even around mid court when they really went after him. You go hard at a guy near mid-court and you do not get him, look out. Paulus had a great game by any standard.

Demarcus makes this team win and he did again last night.

SilkyJ
02-01-2008, 01:32 PM

agree with the overall post, but didn't understand this part. The guard who "scored off of scheyer's pass" was Gerald, if you're talking about that no look over the D pass when G was on a run-out. And I can't imagine you are saying Gerald could start at PG for a bunch of teams. I guess you're saying that Scheyer's pass was wicked good and that he could start at PG at a lot of places? If so, I agree with your basic premise which is that his passing is underrated.

On a sidenote, Jon played 17min last night...I believe his lowest total of the season.

cause he took it to the rack and got an And-1!!!! That never happens with our starting short, white, PG, much less the walk-on!!

G He drew 2 five-second calls on his man in the first half and his defense was very good all night.

Great point, and i think it speaks to how much greg has improved his Defense. I assume the foot had something to do with it last year, but greg is definitely quicker on D. we switch a lot on screens which helps him, but in general I think we can all agree that he is not getting blown by nearly as often.

anyone not voting for Jordan Davidson is some kind of communist :mad:

haha. potd. I would change my vote if I could!

I do agree with this part of your post, but Jumbo's argument below is very, very solid. and he didn't even reference the +30, which is obviously HUGE. I guess I wouldn't have even thought to vote for Kyle, b/c of how he got his pts and made his contribution "quietly," at least for me.

Kinda like scheyer in a lot of games. you look at the box score, and say, oh wow, scheyer had a really good game. I don't know about you guys, but I find myself doing that a lot with scheyer and kyle...

I guess the thing about greg was the timing and the "spurt" factor. he just exploded in a couple minute stretch, when we were down, and it changed the entire course of the game.

Didn't realize that voting for a guy who scored 19 points (including 12 in the second half) and who -- in a foul-plagued game -- managed to give us 19 minutes in the second half (with Thomas, McClure and Scheyer all on the bench in foul trouble) was purely a case of my "damn head" being in my "plus/minus calculator." Quick quiz -- whose three-pointer started Duke's second-half run? Whose ability to pull bigs out of the paint opened up the driving lanes for Henderson and Nelson? Whose threat as a high screener helped set Paulus up for his threes.

Magnolia888
02-01-2008, 02:03 PM
I have to vote for Greg, with an honorable mention to Kyle -- and Jordan Davidson, whose smile at the end was awesome!

Greg gets my vote because of his toughness and tenaciousness -- plus, he seemed to be pissing off the State guys soo much and that was interfering with their concentration and effort. But he kept his cool (for the most part) and used his anger to fuel his game in a positive way.

Jumbo
02-01-2008, 02:05 PM
agree with the overall post, but didn't understand this part. The guard who "scored off of scheyer's pass" was Gerald, if you're talking about that no look over the D pass when G was on a run-out. And I can't imagine you are saying Gerald could start at PG for a bunch of teams. I guess you're saying that Scheyer's pass was wicked good and that he could start at PG at a lot of places? If so, I agree with your basic premise which is that his passing is underrated.

He was talking about Jordan Davidson at the end, not Gerald.

Jumbo
02-01-2008, 02:06 PM
On a sidenote, Jon played 17min last night...I believe his lowest total of the season.

Three fouls in the first half. Fourth foul midway through the second half.

bird
02-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Being at the game, I was tremendously impressed by Singler's calm efficiency - he's a freshman? Man.

Being at the game, however, I was caught up in the fiery passion Paulus brought and focused in the second half.

K gave Paulus a ceremonial departure at the end, maybe that's something of a symbolic MOM in and of itself, and if so, I agree with K. I give the nod to Paulus.

As for Jordan Davidson, I have thought more than once that he could play at at a CAA, or even A-10 level. I also wonder if he DID play at that level whether he would be good enough to do so - what benefit he gets going up against Duke players and receiving Duke coaching. Anyway, his layup was a fine way to cap the game. And is NOT a human victory cigar.

CDu
02-01-2008, 03:14 PM
As for Jordan Davidson, I have thought more than once that he could play at at a CAA, or even A-10 level. I also wonder if he DID play at that level whether he would be good enough to do so - what benefit he gets going up against Duke players and receiving Duke coaching. Anyway, his layup was a fine way to cap the game. And is NOT a human victory cigar.

I don't think Davidson would have a prayer of starting or playing regularly at the CAA level, much less the A-10. The point guard play at those levels isn't too big a dropoff from ACC level. Can you imagine him competing with Eric Maynor or Folarin Cambpell?

Generally, the difference between the major conferences and the "mid-majors" or even "low-majors" (whatever that means) is in big men. The big men in the major conference tend to be bigger and more athletic. This is because the supply of really good guards is much greater than the supply of really good big men.

Davidson is a good team guy, scrappy and hard working. But he's simply not on par with D-1 point guard play.

greybeard
02-01-2008, 03:51 PM
Davidson is a good team guy, scrappy and hard working.

Man, you always demand so much from your point guards CDu, don't you. Difficult to please, but that ain't bad. ;)

I really haven't seen enough of the kid to dispute you on this, but you have to admit that that was one heck of a finish. A terrific catch, to begin with, the pass was to his left butt, if I remember right. Then, he switches it to his left, protects the ball, and sweeps it in lefty off a tight angle that would have made blocking it extremely probelmatic if anyone really, really tried (actually, I think a for real shot blocker might well have gone after it and missed badly.)

I seem to remember Davidson hitting a three or two in an earlier game, and running the team for a few moments. In those phases of the game, he had the look of a "player", not just a player, if you know what I mean.

BTW, back to the topic at hand, on reconsideration, I vote for the guy from State who made that insane block.

CDu
02-01-2008, 04:00 PM
Man, you always demand so much from your point guards CDu, don't you. Difficult to please, but that ain't bad. ;)

I really haven't seen enough of the kid to dispute you on this, but you have to admit that that was one heck of a finish. A terrific catch, to begin with, the pass was to his left butt, if I remember right. Then, he switches it to his left, protects the ball, and sweeps it in lefty off a tight angle that would have made blocking it extremely probelmatic if anyone really, really tried (actually, I think a for real shot blocker might well have gone after it and missed badly.)

I seem to remember Davidson hitting a three or two in an earlier game, and running the team for a few moments. In those phases of the game, he had the look of a "player", not just a player, if you know what I mean.

Nah - I just recognize that there are some really gifted point guards out there in division-1 basketball, and I don't think Davidson is close to their level.

It was a very nice catch and finish. But one nice play doesn't make a player worthy of being a division-1 point guard.

greybeard
02-01-2008, 04:10 PM
Nah - I just recognize that there are some really gifted point guards out there in division-1 basketball, and I don't think Davidson is close to their level.

It was a very nice catch and finish. But one nice play doesn't make a player worthy of being a division-1 point guard.

I bet he might have helped NCSt; never saw a point get quite so defeated.

CDu
02-01-2008, 04:17 PM
I bet he might have helped NCSt; never saw a point get quite so defeated.

Doubt it. He'd have been even more overwhelmed. Just because Gonzalez and Johnson struggled doesn't mean they aren't much better than Davidson.

I agree though - we did thoroughly overwhelm Johnson, and wore down Gonzalez to the point that he was trying anything to get a call.

Bryan
02-01-2008, 04:18 PM
Greg Paulus was the MOTM. Lance, Markie, and Kyle all had very good games but Greg had an all-around great game. The stats (22 pts, 6 ast, 0 TO and 3 stl) only begin to tell the story. He drew 2 five-second calls on his man in the first half and his defense was very good all night. His 3 threes at the start of the second half really turned the game around and set the tone for the rest of the half.

But my favorite play was at the 9:32 mark of the second half when he stole the post entry pass from McCauley to Hickson. The impressive thing was that McCauley was at the top of the key and Paulus's man (Gonzalez) was on the left wing. It was beautiful help defense.

In addition to Paulus' fine shooting and floor game described above, the player(s) he was guarding, the NC State PG's, had 7 turnovers. Greg doesn't get credit for all of them due to the numerous switches and the help by Nolan. The biggest difference in the game, though, was at PG where Greg significantly outplayed the NC State PG's.

CDu
02-01-2008, 04:21 PM
In addition to Paulus' fine shooting and floor game described above, the player(s) he was guarding, the NC State PG's, had 7 turnovers. Greg doesn't get credit for all of them due to the numerous switches and the help by Nolan. The biggest difference in the game, though, was at PG where Greg significantly outplayed the NC State PG's.

Don't forget the half court traps. But yes, the biggest difference was definitely at point guard, where Paulus had possibly his best game as a collegiate and NC State couldn't get anything productive.

fidel
02-01-2008, 05:43 PM
Not sure why the green jerseys affected the team in the first half, but man did the second half rock (there was direct causation, right?).

heath_harshman4
02-01-2008, 08:35 PM

WOw, Great point.

I didn't realize that Singlers +- was that high. Dang. Well, based on your info and watching the game, I would still vote for Paulus, but Singler is a very very very very close second. And one thing I have noticed in conference play, in every close conference game, Singler has hit a big 3 early-mid 2nd half to spark a run...