PDA

View Full Version : NBA & Health

ugadevil
01-31-2008, 10:32 AM
Has anyone noticed the flu going around in the NBA lately? It's not surprising to see it hit a couple guys on a team, but there are currently three teams dealing with guys who have the flu! In Sacramento, Kevin Martin and Ron Artest have been battling it. In Los Angeles, Chris Kaman, Corey Maggette, and Al Thornton all have it. I don't know if there's other teams that are having the same problem. I know it's flu season, but what is going on?!

Edit: I forgot to mention the third team, Boston. Ray Allen has missed a couple games with the flu.

Indoor66
01-31-2008, 10:36 AM
Has anyone noticed the flu going around in the NBA lately? It's not surprising to see it hit a couple guys on a team, but there are currently three teams dealing with guys who have the flu! In Sacramento, Kevin Martin and Ron Artest have been battling it. In Los Angeles, Chris Kaman, Corey Maggette, and Al Thornton all have it. I don't know if there's other teams that are having the same problem. I know it's flu season, but what is going on?!

Close proximity? Just like classrooms. They pass it around the group. Just my speculation. I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night so I have no extrodinary expertise on medical issues. Just my meaningless, non-thought out opinion - like most others on the board. :D

mr. synellinden
01-31-2008, 10:54 AM
As a long time NBA fantasy owner, I know this because players are always missing games in Jan. and Feb. with the flu.

ugadevil
01-31-2008, 12:31 PM
As a long time NBA fantasy owner, I know this because players are always missing games in Jan. and Feb. with the flu.

I confess...that's how I noticed it too. I've got three guys who've missed games in the past week with the flu. It just seems like it's going around more than usual, but maybe it's just affecting my team the most. It doesn't matter, I'm still in 1st!:D

Clipsfan
01-31-2008, 12:46 PM
I lost Wade to the flu as well this week, there are a ton of guys who are sick. Then again, a ton of people at my work have been sick as well...

ugadevil
01-31-2008, 12:53 PM
I lost Wade to the flu as well this week, there are a ton of guys who are sick. Then again, a ton of people at my work have been sick as well...

Is that what Miami is saying the problem is now? The flu?:rolleyes:

mike88
01-31-2008, 01:45 PM
Well, it is certainly flu season now. However, I am not sure that all of the players that are out actually have influenza- many of them may have other viral upper respiratory infections that we often call "colds." It is hard for teams to say "Player X is missing the game because of a cold"

I would be interested to see whether NBA teams strongly recommend or mandate flu shots - given the high cost of having their employees (players) out of work, I would be surprised if they didn't take that relatively simple step.

-mike

wilson
01-31-2008, 06:18 PM
Remember the time Ozzie Smith missed like a week and a half with the chicken pox?