PDA

View Full Version : Cutcliffe on conditioning

DukeUsul
01-31-2008, 09:50 AM
Coach Cut on conditioning (http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/media/storage/paper884/news/2008/01/31/Football/Cutcliffes.CutThroat.Conditioning.Challenge-3180261.shtml)

I thought this was interesting. Coach Cut wants the team to collectively lose 1000 lbs as part of an effort to increase endurance. I find this interesting because I always perceived one of our team's weaknesses was our lack of size compared to our competitors. It seems we will in fact be going to quite a different scheme where we'll "out-quick" our opponents as opposed to trying to push them around (which we haven't been all that good at).

4decadedukie
01-31-2008, 09:58 AM
Speed

Bluedawg
01-31-2008, 10:33 AM
Coach Cut on conditioning (http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/media/storage/paper884/news/2008/01/31/Football/Cutcliffes.CutThroat.Conditioning.Challenge-3180261.shtml)

One of the chief struggles for the Blue Devils last season was the ability to close out games. Duke was outscored 100-50 in the fourth quarter last season and lost contests against Navy and UNC in the final period, realities players such as senior wide reciever Eron Riley find hard to gloss over.

"It's obvious that in certain games last year, we'd be playing well, and you could tell that we started getting tired and getting lazy," Riley said. "That Navy game, for sure, came down to the last second, and people started getting lazy, dropping passes... conditioning was a big thing."

Cutcliffe recently hired Noel Durphy to serve as the team's strength and conditioning coach

One third of the way through last season i said that this was a problem and a new S&C coach needed to be hired....Finally!!

Bluedawg
01-31-2008, 10:36 AM

I thought this was interesting. Coach Cut wants the team to collectively lose 1000 lbs as part of an effort to increase endurance. I find this interesting because I always perceived one of our team's weaknesses was our lack of size compared to our competitors. It seems we will in fact be going to quite a different scheme where we'll "out-quick" our opponents as opposed to trying to push them around (which we haven't been all that good at).

Considering the number of players on the team's roster in spring practice will probably be somewhere around 75 players, a blanket benchmark of 1,000 pounds lost would average out to at least 13 pounds per player...

13 pounds should not affect strength that much for a lineman.

dukeENG2003
01-31-2008, 11:15 AM
Maybe Nate James should help out, we could use a bit more "badassery" (I WISH I could take credit for that term, I love it).

watzone
01-31-2008, 11:28 AM

I thought the same thing. My understaniding is that most, but not all of the lineman may be exempt. He looked at the overall body fat and didn't like what he saw. He is a run fanatic, so our guys will be in shape. He wants them stronger and there will be significant changes in the weight room. IOW, there is a big overhaul in place. In doing things differently, he probably hopes to get the "old ways" out of kids heads. It'll be interesting because the ACC has become a very physical league.

DukeUsul
01-31-2008, 03:10 PM
I thought the same thing. My understaniding is that most, but not all of the lineman may be exempt. He looked at the overall body fat and didn't like what he saw. He is a run fanatic, so our guys will be in shape. He wants them stronger and there will be significant changes in the weight room. IOW, there is a big overhaul in place. In doing things differently, he probably hopes to get the "old ways" out of kids heads. It'll be interesting because the ACC has become a very physical league.

I certainly like the idea of taking a different angle. If you can't beat em at their game, change the game. I kinda like the idea of being fast and uptempo instead of big, and brawny.... hmmmm, kinda like the basketball team......

jlear
01-31-2008, 03:52 PM
Do we (fans) have to lose weight so we can jump up out of our seats faster or do have to be in better condition so we never even sit down (like many football schools)? With the no-huddle we are going to need to be in much better shape then many in my section were last year, myself included.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-31-2008, 04:32 PM
Do we (fans) have to lose weight so we can jump up out of our seats faster or do have to be in better condition so we never even sit down (like many football schools)? With the no-huddle we are going to need to be in much better shape then many in my section were last year, myself included.
The no huddle offense means that we won't allow people to traipse up and down the aisles causing interruptions and blocking the view of a play while the game is going on.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-31-2008, 04:37 PM
Do we (fans) have to lose weight ... we are going to need to be in much better shape then many in my section were last year, myself included.

I've got to do that anyway before my daughter's wedding in June. Of course, not starting tonight, as I'm about to head out the door to stop at Hooters by the airport for wings and beer before heading to Cameron tonight. I'll work them off during the game, I promise! :rolleyes:

Mike Corey
01-31-2008, 04:42 PM
Some guys will be asked to lose weight; some guys will be asked to gain weight.

And the "1,000 pounds" figure has changed a few times over the past few weeks.

Lose fat. Add muscle. Gain speed and stamina.

As someone in the athletic department recently told me, the team is learning that there's a "whole other level" of conditioning.

:)

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-31-2008, 04:47 PM

As someone in the athletic department recently told me, the team is learning that there's a "whole other level" of conditioning.

Must be the level JJ sought after he "saw the light."

blazindw
01-31-2008, 04:49 PM

I figured that was the case. As he said in his introductory presser, he won't turn down a big kid who is in shape and can run. I think some players on our OL should be gaining weight, but it's the type of weight that they gain (lean muscle but not at the expense of quickness) that Coach and Co. are obviously working on.

How can we get a copy of the workout program they're doing? I need to get in shape for the season too! (I'm not kidding...I really want the workout program)

DukeDude
01-31-2008, 05:29 PM
Any truth to the rumor that they are planning to lower the field and remove the track just to add a few more steps for when they run stadiums? ;)

Indoor66
01-31-2008, 05:37 PM
I figured that was the case. As he said in his introductory presser, he won't turn down a big kid who is in shape and can run. I think some players on our OL should be gaining weight, but it's the type of weight that they gain (lean muscle but not at the expense of quickness) that Coach and Co. are obviously working on.

How can we get a copy of the workout program they're doing? I need to get in shape for the season too! (I'm not kidding...I really want the workout program)

That would be grate to get. Wonder if something could be developed along those lines? Maybe Jim Sumner or others with the University could find out.

OldPhiKap
01-31-2008, 05:48 PM

The SEC is a whole different world. If he can get Duke to be as good as a mid-level SEC team, we'll be more than fine.

BTW, I loved the closing quote from Coach Cut:

"These guys have wanted to win-they really have. And those coaches really wanted to win. The difference is preparing to win and going and winning. The only way to do that is to compete for 60 minutes and see if you can win."

Hayle yeah.

SilkyJ
01-31-2008, 06:44 PM
It'll be interesting because the ACC has become a very physical league.

I'm not a college football expert, but in the NFL the talking heads have talked quite a bit about the NFL valuing speed over size in some cases. certainly theres a happy medium you have to find, but the overall theme seemed to be a move towards finesse or speed in favor of 350lb lineman.

I've got to do that anyway before my daughter's wedding in June. Of course, not starting tonight, as I'm about to head out the door to stop at Hooters by the airport for wings and beer before heading to Cameron tonight. I'll work them off during the game, I promise! :rolleyes:

Love the new location: "just outside taylor's range." great stuff as always wizard of ozzie land.

Must be the level JJ sought after he "saw the light."

so THATS what he kept saying he saw when he was high

(i kid, i kid)

Mike Corey
02-01-2008, 09:38 AM
Any truth to the rumor that they are planning to lower the field and remove the track just to add a few more steps for when they run stadiums? ;)

"Planning" is perhaps too strong of a word at this juncture.

Come 2011 or 2012, Duke would like to begin planning of just such a move. But whether or not it happens will depend on the progress that might be made at that point in terms of the other improvements the athletic department hopes will be completed or in progress, on the level of attendance, etc.

Of course, I fully expect that progress to be considerable, thereby necessitating the addition of stands/removal of track/lowering of field. Duke wants to turn the atmosphere at Wallace Wade into something comparable to the atmosphere in Cameron Indoor, with the fans right on top of the field.

Mike Corey
02-01-2008, 09:40 AM

My friend, I'll see what I can do.